Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers looking to trade Danny?

Hybrid View

Sports Logo

Default Pacers looking to trade Danny?

I know, I know. Same story, different offseason. And it's a random blog that's never broken a damn thing far as I know. But still.

http://blognbasketball.com/2012/08/s...trade-granger/

You heard it here first…Danny Granger will not be a Pacer at this time next year.

According to people close to the Indiana front office, management will actively look to move Granger this upcoming season if not next offseason.

There are numerous reasons behind their thinking, both financial and basketball.

Danny Granger is due $27 million over the next two seasons. Yes, he’s the team’s leading scorer and spiritual leader (see altercations with Lebron James and Dwyane Wade…oh and even Larry Sanders). However, he is no longer the face of the franchise, Roy Hibbert is. Roy, coincidentally, just signed a maximum contract (courtesy of the Portland Trail Blazers).

It is conceivable to pay both players that much money, but the real issue is the future of swingman Paul George. While Danny is a finished product and one-time All-Star, Pacers management feels that Paul can exceed that in the coming years. His contract will be up in 2014 and Indiana is simply not going to let another team come in and outbid them for their homegrown stud. Also, George has been playing SG the past two seasons despite being more of a small forward. The longer Granger is occupying that SF spot in the starting lineup the more Paul’s growth is hindered. It’s time he assume his rightful position and grow into a star role, much like Danny once did.

The Pacers have a lot of things they can accomplish with Granger’s money. The team still needs to improve their depth on the frontline to tangle with the rim-attacking Heat and the new Bynum-led Sixers. Power forward David West is on the decline (and will be a free agent next summer) while Tyler Hansbrough and Miles Plumlee are merely a step up from Jeff Pendergraph. Indiana lost Darren Collison this summer and replaced him with…D.J. Augustin, hardly an upgrade. Then they lost Leandro Barbosa while netting the mercurial Gerald Green. Other than keeping Hibbert, it’s been a very average summer in Indiana as they hope to grow from within. I agree, but you still need depth to get through an 82-game season and deep into the playoffs.

Much the same way that Philadelphia recently traded Andre Iguodala and that Memphis continues to gauge interest in Rudy Gay, so will Indiana try and move Danny Granger in the near future. All three guys are talented star-caliber players…..but they are not the face of their franchises.

To sum up: Roy Hibbert is the present, Paul George is the future…..and Danny Granger is just a well-paid scorer.

That “star” money can be spent better elsewhere for a team hoping to take the next step.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers looking to trade Danny?

We won't be able to get anyone to replace him. Unless Paul George explodes this season.. Which he could.. I simply don't want to see Danny go. He's not afraid. He's above averagely clutch. He lets the other team know we aren't gonna take whatever garbage is being dished out to us.

I've made a comment before about loyalty to a franchise and loyalty to a player and what that can ultimately lead to. I think we're looking at one of the top 3 or 4 pacers of all time when all is said and done. And I wouldnt have it any other way.

What more can we realistically hope for? We won't compete year in and year out for NBA titles.. We never really have. But what we can do is put a team together on the floor that I'm proud to watch compete. And think of how sweet it will be when we finally do get that ring. Don't you want Danny to be a part of it? People said the Florida gators would NEVER win a national title with Chris Leak as the starting QB (Tim Tebow was a freshman). well guess what? They did.
    Last edited by Pacers4Life; 08-24-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Same stuff we have argued about for the past year. No new material presented. Problem is that Hibbert is not yet an elite big man although he is paid like one and there is still a lot more "P" associated with George than there is consistent top-level execution.

The only positive is that the author indicates patience on the part of TPTB. They might seek to trade Granger if Hibert continues to grow and especially if George makes a big leap.

I don't think that would really surprise anyone, although it also equally wouldn't surprise anyone if the Pacers found a way to re-sign a much improved George while retaining Granger and also re-signing West.

Sure its a possibility, but its the same article written in a different year. I'll believe it when i see it.

Mood

In other news, Danny could be traded for someone much better than he is, but nobody is offering that. Plus, if a deal is remotely fair, it doesn't benefit us to trade a guy who loyally signed a deal with a small market team.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trade him to Toronto for Ross and Calderon

If the team believes for George to reach his potential he needs Danny out of the way then the blog makes sense.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the team believes for George to reach his potential he needs Danny out of the way then the blog makes sense.
    Paul loves Danny. Again who cares about positions 2-4.. Everything a player has an advantage in, someone else has that same dude beat due to said players strength. Paul and Danny go together like pb and j

And I'm not saying that's not what you were saying... I'm just sayin'.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    Paul loves Danny. Again who cares about positions 2-4.. Everything a player has an advantage in, someone else has that same dude beat due to said players strength. Paul and Danny go together like pb and j

And I'm not saying that's not what you were saying... I'm just sayin'.
    Dude, I love em both, but Danny and PG are anything but complimentary. Offensively they're really similar. Iggy + Danny's a great (deadly, contender) combo, PG + Harden's a great combo, Manu + (anybody)Danny is a great combo. Two guys who can't dribble for **** and are best suited as spot shooters on a team that can't pass are redundant, not complimentary.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Dude, I love em both, but Danny and PG are anything but complimentary. Offensively they're really similar. Iggy + Danny's a great (deadly, contender) combo, PG + Harden's a great combo, Manu + (anybody)Danny is a great combo. Two guys who can't dribble for **** and are best suited as spot shooters on a team that can't pass are redundant, not complimentary.
    Thats how PG plays today, but it might not be how he plays tomorrow. I think he will be a much more dynamic player this season. If he cleans up his handles, he will be a beast of an attacker. PG is still finding his way offensively. This year the picture should be clearer on what he will become.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Thats how PG plays today, but it might not be how he plays tomorrow. I think he will be a much more dynamic player this season. If he cleans up his handles, he will be a beast of an attacker. PG is still finding his way offensively. This year the picture should be clearer on what he will become.
    Paul George is a 22 year old pro with 2 years of the highest level of professional basketball player under his belt. And he still can't dribble. I have no doubt he'll improve his handle. But I don't think it'll ever be to the point that you can rely on him as a break a guy down off the dribble and make something happen guy.

If you want me to be honest I think now's the time to trade PG and his "superstar potential." I don't see the top end most Pacers fans (want to) do. I just don't think he's as special as most of us want to think. Strong ball penetration stopper that can get out and run, knock down an open jumper, and do nothing with the ball in his hands. That's a quality player, but it's not a face of a franchise.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-24-2012 at 02:40 AM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Have we heard anywhere that he is working on his handles? Has anyone, he or a coach, pointed out that is what he really needs to get to the next level? I'm just wondering.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

To me, it doesn't make sense. (And you didn't say it, you were just naming a scenario.) So far, PG has had plenty of opportunities to step up and hasn't delivered that well. He's been clutch a couple of times, and not clutch several times.

I'm concerned. Then again, I was concerned about Hibbert that he couldn't develop into what we needed. So I could be wrong. It happened to me one other time in 1997.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Jmo...Danny for EJ or ya gotta keep Danny. Can't trade PG cause his rookie contract. Would be totally wacky to trade PG.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Jmo...Danny for EJ or ya gotta keep Danny. Can't trade PG cause his rookie contract. Would be totally wacky to trade PG.
    Yeah, pretty much. What else would you get for Granger? Honestly? I have no clue, but I don't see another team trading really good players for him. Maybe the Pacers could get lucky and he could be traded for Enes Kantor, Jan Vesley or Derrick Favors. It'd have to be young talent that haven't reached their peak yet.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    I actually wouldnt mind a HEALTHY EJ. I doubt we'd get him for just Granger, we'd have to through in a pick or Hansborough
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I actually wouldnt mind a HEALTHY EJ. I doubt we'd get him for just Granger, we'd have to through in a pick or Hansborough
    Granger, Hansbrough, and a pick isn't getting us Eric Gordon.

George, Hansbrough, and a pick might.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Granger, Hansbrough, and a pick isn't getting us Eric Gordon.

George, Hansbrough, and a pick might.
    JMO, I think that Danny, Augustin and a 2014 1st for EJ and Warrick would be good for the Hornets. They don't need Hansbrough or Warrick. West then could be dealt for a better pg then Augustin, like Calderon. West and Plumlee for Calderon and Davis.

Hibbert / Mahinmi
    Davis / Hans / Warrick
    George / Green / Warrick
    Gordon / Hill / Johnson
    Calderon / Hill / Stephenson

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If we are underperforming and Gordon still looks healthy and unhappy about being a Hornet about half way through the season I could very much see this happening...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    If we are underperforming and Gordon still looks healthy and unhappy about being a Hornet about half way through the season I could very much see this happening...
    The only way this happens is if we are overperforming and Granger is a primary reason why.

-Lance Stephenson

I think the deal is that the blog makes sense IF George was well on his way to reaching his potential. Right now though, George remains just that... a very athletic player with potential.

If George does not begin making some headway toward reaching that potential on a much more consistent basis, then I believe there is a greater chance that the Pacers sell the hype of his potential to another team and trade George.

The point is that, just playing the odds, you don't trade your best player, even though he is stretching you salary-wise, just because you have another player that is showing some potential at the same position.

I think the odds would probably bear out that you find yourself 2 years down the road with your best player gone and suffering major regret from putting all your eggs into one basket (George).

To me, George needs to walk the walk from the first game all the way up to the trade deadline in order for Granger to be traded this season. Otherwise, trading Granger could prove to be a major, major mistake.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I think the odds would probably bear out that you find yourself 2 years down the road with your best player gone and suffering major regret from putting all your eggs into one basket (George).

To me, George needs to walk the walk from the first game all the way up to the trade deadline in order for Granger to be traded this season. Otherwise, trading Granger could prove to be a major, major mistake.
    Trading George while his hype is still high makes some sense. But only if you're getting a player you think may be able to turn you into a legit contender. I think the hype on George is absurdly out of whack right now but you are better off keeping him and trading Granger unless the piece you get puts you over the top. If you trade Granger now, you're doing it only in the hope that it allows George's game to grow exponentially. I don't have a problem with this in a vacuum. If they feel that is the way to go, so be it. I personally don't see George ever having a better offensive game than Granger but we'll probably never find out while they're together. Truly, I would love to trade Granger because I don't see any potential for him to be a top-2 player on a championship team and at his price point, that's exactly what he has to be here. However, at this point, I've got to think that Granger's value is such that we're better off keeping him through this year at least. He'll have more value as an expiring contract than he does now as a player.

-Lance Stephenson

Our front office doesn't talk to the media about trading our players. The author of that article is just doing some speculation that many on here have already done.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Our front office doesn't talk to the media about trading our players. The author of that article is just doing some speculation that many on here have already done.
    He might be lying, or someone misunderstood, but he said this:
    According to people close to the Indiana front office, management will actively look to move Granger this upcoming season if not next offseason.
    So unless you want to call him a liar, he's not speculating.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    The Larry Bird front office was pretty good about keeping a lid on trades, but I'm not so sure on the Donnie Walsh front office model. However, I do agree that this feels and reads more like speculation.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74