Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back-seat/vigilante moderating and bumping old threads

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Back-seat/vigilante moderating and bumping old threads

There are a couple of trends that the administrative team has noticed lately that I would like to address.

First is the subject of back-seat/vigilante moderating. While I appreciate the desire of some of our members to help maintain PD's environment, situations such as these are why the administrative team is here, and why the "report post" option exists. In extreme circumstances, there is also the "ignore user" option.

Secondly, bumping old threads without adding new or relevant information is prohibited. All this serves to do is clutter the front page with outdated and oftentimes irrelevant information and, to be honest, is a bit rude. Further instances of this may be met with warnings/infractions.

While I'm at it, I would also like to clarify what justifies a warning/infraction when it comes to forum behavior. This is a discussion forum and, as such, there will be disagreements. Sometimes they may even get a little heated. However, once someone steps over the line (generally by resorting to name-calling or adopting a condescending attitude), that is where we will step in. While we don't want to stifle discussions here at PD, we will also not tolerate it degenerating into a flame war.

Remember, at the end of the day, we're (mostly) all Pacers fans here, so let's keep it civil, capice?

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Back-seat/vigilante moderating and bumping old threads

Sorry about the vigilante moderation (guilty as charged). As you said, I saw the front page clutter up with old, seemingly irrelevant posts, and was getting annoyed. I'll keep it on the DL next time around.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Meet the new boss... Same as the old boss...

Man, you're no fun!

j/k
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Banned

So some people that I'm not going to name(but they know who they are ) are going to be out of work? no more "vigilantes" or "PD police"? Let's celebrate

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll bump this in a few years.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Coupe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I'm not sure that dropping a couple lines letting someone know that they're going overboard rises to the level of "vigilante moderating." I've never put anyone on ignore because even the worst posters on this board make a good point once in a while, and I'd hate to start now, but I'm not a big fan of this place becoming Jim O'Brien Digest.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I'm not sure that dropping a couple lines letting someone know that they're going overboard rises to the level of "vigilante moderating." I've never put anyone on ignore because even the worst posters on this board make a good point once in a while, and I'd hate to start now, but I'm not a big fan of this place becoming Jim O'Brien Digest.
    Now that's a bit extreme. Given the (sometimes irrational) hate Obie inspires on this board, them's fighting words

FWIW, PD has always been one of the better policed message boards (which is a good thing in my opinion), and I don't see anything in Shade's post that diverges from past policy. If anything he's being a little lenient I think in posting a public warning when he could just hand out infractions behind the scenes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, I bet some of this stuff takes care of itself when the season starts. I've been here awhile now and the natives always get restless in the offseason.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Thanks Shade.

To clarify, would BlueAndGold have been okay if he had made a comment on each of the handful of threads he bumped?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Well, I bet some of this stuff takes care of itself when the season starts. I've been here awhile now and the natives always get restless in the offseason.
    This is par for the course. The off season requires some old controversial topic to keep the board alive.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sorry, and I'll not do that one again. But considering I bumped 3 threads and have no history of doing that after about a decade...I would hope to get some slack.

Also, the newly heated JOb threads were bringing back old memories. Since he was under discussion, I thought I might share what I thought was a critical time period in Jim's history. A time when I think he think he lost the team because we started hearing guys like Dahntay speak out.

But sure, I didn't handle it right and after I did it....I knew that. But it's a little tough to wind back the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Thanks Shade.

To clarify, would BlueAndGold have been okay if he had made a comment on each of the handful of threads he bumped?
    I would recommend either of the following as the preferred method:

1) start a new thread and link each of the three old threads into the new thread. (wow was that horribly worded or does that make sense)

2) or perhaps even better he could have linked the old threads into the existing and current JOB threads. (I do this from time to time)

let me know if that doesn't make sense.

(having said that, I don't believe we are outlawing the bumping of old threads in special circumstances. Although the preferred method is linking old threads to current threads, as I have mentioned in this post)
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-23-2012 at 08:29 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I would recommend either of the following:

1) start a new thread and link each of the three old threads into the new thread. (wow was that horribly worded or does that make sense)

2) or perhaps even better he could have linked the old threats into the existing and current JOB threads. (I do this from time to time)

let me know if that doesn't make sense.
    Thanks, that does make sense.

(The typo is kinda funny, though.)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Adding new and relevant substance to something we've previously discussed isn't necessarily the same thing as bumping an old thread just for the purpose of bumping it.

Really, I thought BnG was just trying to push me off into another 500+ day holiday from PD by bringing O'Brien back to life.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

instead of bumping old threads (without new information), just copy and paste the link into the newer thread you want people's attention to
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

So I guess somebody is not going to bump the "Larry Bird is going to win NBA president of the year" thread for the million time?

Thank you Shade. When I logged in yesterday I initially thought the forum must have reverted to an archived state with all the old threads. I was confused for more than a moment.

Shade I don't like your condescending attitude. Now I'm going to go back and bump all of the "This team has quit" threads.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-23-2012 at 12:11 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Ain't that the truth, this offseason actually hasn't been too bad IMO. Mostly good discussion about the quality of the Pacers moves.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Can I recommend Shade alter his avatar? Layin' down the law!

Attached Images Attached Images

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

J7F

isn't it obvious? OlBlu hijacked Shade's account

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    There are a couple of trends that the administrative team has noticed lately that I would like to address.

First is the subject of back-seat/vigilante moderating. While I appreciate the desire of some of our members to help maintain PD's environment, situations such as these are why the administrative team is here, and why the "report post" option exists. In extreme circumstances, there is also the "ignore user" option.

Secondly, bumping old threads without adding new or relevant information is prohibited. All this serves to do is clutter the front page with outdated and oftentimes irrelevant information and, to be honest, is a bit rude. Further instances of this may be met with warnings/infractions.

While I'm at it, I would also like to clarify what justifies a warning/infraction when it comes to forum behavior. This is a discussion forum and, as such, there will be disagreements. Sometimes they may even get a little heated. However, once someone steps over the line (generally by resorting to name-calling or adopting a condescending attitude), that is where we will step in. While we don't want to stifle discussions here at PD, we will also not tolerate it degenerating into a flame war.

Remember, at the end of the day, we're (mostly) all Pacers fans here, so let's keep it civil, capice?

Hey!! ...

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    In extreme circumstances, there is also the "ignore user" option.
    Best invention EVER.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I would like it if BUMPS could get admin assists in the title that say "Bumped - new info post #xx"

I realize that could be a lot of work depending on the bump rate (and cutoff, ie how much passed time is a "bump"), but a lot of times old topics have good reasons to come back and yet they can get derailed by confused posters commenting on stuff months or years outdated.

I like PD because the comments don't go hide. It helps cut down on the "anonymity factor" where people just drop opinion bombs and walk away with no history to follow them and no consequences. It helps put the new opinions and comments in context.

Of course the new thread with links to the old thread kinda works, but then quoting for follow-up gets confusing.

Also, JOB is the devil and hates your family. I have stats to prove it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I would like it if BUMPS could get admin assists in the title that say "Bumped - new info post #xx"
    Or people could just look at the thread start date, which is immediately below the title.