Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: Luck vs Griffin - let it begin.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Luck vs Griffin - let it begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just seeing some of this stuff and I will just make a few comments, neither Couch or Carr was ever thought to have as much talent as Luck, he is considered the best prospect to come out of college since John Elway, so anyone between those two guys does not matter.

Even if Luck didn't have top arm strength football is a lot more than that, a QB really only needs to have above average arm strength I think to eventually become elite, other traits are needed to separate them, unless you think Luck has below average arm strength which no one does or even average, then he should be just fine.

As far as who he will become no one knows, so far he has had better a better rookie season than all those guys you have listed.

Eli passed fore 48% and had 6TD's and 9 picks, Brees really did not take of til he got to the Saints, Rodgers set multiple years and had to work on a lot, Rivers didn't start until his second year, Brady set his first year and during his second was not very special, better than most but not anything that makes you say he would be a hall of famer, and we all know about Peyton who through for 56% and had more picks than touchdowns in his first year.

But if you would like to hear something positive right now about Luck that comes from an outside party here you go...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...qbs-measure-up

Currently Luck has the highest score in this ranking scale out of ALL quarterbacks in the NFL, every ranking system has its shortcomings but, I think this says something about what Luck has done so far this season.

Wrong!! The reason is strictly financial. Those people taking a QB at number one (perhaps the highest risk position to draft) were paying millions of dollars more for their QB than Indy is paying Luck. I think Sam Bradford got over $50 million guaranteed. At those amounts, you don't take a QB first unless you think he is a star. JaMarkus Russell, Jeff George, David Carr, Couch and others signed for a fortune. Those teams ALL thought they had the next great things just like the Colts do with Luck. Many more fail than make it and those that get beat up behind terrible offensive lines pay an even higher price. I have seen enough of Luck already to doubt that he is anything special. Perhaps Phillip Rivers with a lesser arm. Chad Pennington was actually a good comparison in my view...... ...

Your comparisons for Luck are the best. Rivers with a lesser arm? Chad Pennington? Where do you come up with this stuff? Neither of those guys even play the game like Luck does, even if you completely ignore talent level they don't make sense.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would like an actual good discussion, not this drivel. Rah-rah'ing Cam Newton and RG3 while saying Luck is "Chad Pennington" is absolute nonsense.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I would like an actual good discussion, not this drivel. Rah-rah'ing Cam Newton and RG3 while saying Luck is "Chad Pennington" is absolute nonsense.
    Alright how about some noteable games in the coming weeks.

One of my favorites will be when RG3 faces the Vikings on the 14th. One would think that game should be comparable and of course both teams face the Browns this year.

I also think RG3 against the Giants will be fun to watch. The front 4 should force RG3 into quick decisions and the Gmen don't need to blitz in order to create pressure.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Wrong!! The reason is strictly financial. Those people taking a QB at number one (perhaps the highest risk position to draft) were paying millions of dollars more for their QB than Indy is paying Luck. I think Sam Bradford got over $50 million guaranteed. At those amounts, you don't take a QB first unless you think he is a star. JaMarkus Russell, Jeff George, David Carr, Couch and others signed for a fortune. Those teams ALL thought they had the next great things just like the Colts do with Luck. Many more fail than make it and those that get beat up behind terrible offensive lines pay an even higher price. I have seen enough of Luck already to doubt that he is anything special. Perhaps Phillip Rivers with a lesser arm. Chad Pennington was actually a good comparison in my view...... ...
    Lol, What, what area of my post were you trying to target?

1st picks get paid regardless, maybe a few million less

Most NFL qb's come from the first round, teams are willing to gamble just to get a potential starting caliber QB that can stay in the league

Making a judgment in either direction off 3 games of a rookie season shows how much you know about football, and football history

I can tell you are not serious by your comparisons and the smiley face, lol
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Your comparisons for Luck are the best. Rivers with a lesser arm? Chad Pennington? Where do you come up with this stuff? Neither of those guys even play the game like Luck does, even if you completely ignore talent level they don't make sense.
    Probably all stems from Luck under throwing receivers on out routes and deep routes at times, but these things are fixable, and he is also just going for the comic factor now.
    Why so SERIOUS

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That was mostly in game 1, though. He even admitted it in the post-game interview, he tried to prepare and was aware of it, but still under-estimated game-speed. He's made marked improvement on his zip and velocity and accuracy in the subsequent two games. He's thrown some beautiful balls deep. Wasn't like he threw all bad balls in the opener, either, he just lofted a few.

He's thrown some absolute heaters this year, I have no doubt about his arm-strength.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    That was mostly in game 1, though. He even admitted it in the post-game interview, he tried to prepare and was aware of it, but still under-estimated game-speed. He's made marked improvement on his zip and velocity and accuracy in the subsequent two games. He's thrown some beautiful balls deep. Wasn't like he threw all bad balls in the opener, either, he just lofted a few.

He's thrown some absolute heaters this year, I have no doubt about his arm-strength.
    Yeah I was just saying where that thinking came from, and he has since thrown balls like that in his other games as well. It is not going to be a quick fix, he did it at Stanford as well, it won't be the last that we see of it.

Also he has thrown a bunch of good passes as well, short and deep, but if you watch the game tape there are still the occasional bad throws as well, I do feel that he is improving every week and will continue to get much better.
    Why so SERIOUS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am seriously worried.

RGIII did not not what state he was in, what the score of the game was, or what down he got hurt on.

Plenty of QB's get hurt on scrambles, but that hit was nasty

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I am seriously worried.

RGIII did not not what state he was in, what the score of the game was, or what down he got hurt on.

Yeah someone said he didn't know what the score was. Honestly, when I used to pitch I couldn't tell you what the score was. My job was to get the next hitter out regardless of anything else. Everything else was irrelevant so I didn't care. So I wasn't concerned when they told me that, but he didn't know what state he was in? Eh. Okay that's worrisome.

I am seriously worried.

Shanahan said RGIII had a "mild concussion" which is BS. You either have a concussion or you don't. That was definitely a concussion.
    Never half-a** two things. Whole-a** one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Yeah someone said he didn't know what the score was. Honestly, when I used to pitch I couldn't tell you what the score was. My job was to get the next hitter out regardless of anything else. Everything else was irrelevant so I didn't care. So I wasn't concerned when they told me that, but he didn't know what state he was in? Eh. Okay that's worrisome.
    Didn't know score or quarter.

And honestly as a QB you should probably always know what the score is.

I am concerned as well especially since they are treating it as a foregone conclusion that he will play next week.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I am seriously worried.

I've been wanting to ask your opinion on the hit....did you think that RGIII was sliding in an attempt "to give himself up on the play"?

With the way things are called, I thought it was a tad bit questionable that he was attempting to give himself up; it all happened so fast when Witherspoon just NAILED him.

Mood

Seriously, I hope Griffin has a speedy recovery. Unseriously, it was RGIII who left the field on a stretcher today...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

what happened today was only a matter of time. the NFL is no place for a running QB. Its a shame because RGIII is a darn good passer. I blame the Shannahans for their stubbornness thinking that they can re-create the Baylor offense in the NFL.
    David "And One" West

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

I hope he never takes another hit like that again. But if you look at the stat sheet, he only had one running attempt and 15 pass attempts. That seems pretty reasonable. I guess we can just call him bad luck.

Anyway, they really need to protect this guy. He has a great arm and wasting it would be a shame. Also, it's not his first concussion:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...or-texas-game/
    Source: NBC
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 10-07-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    what happened today was only a matter of time. the NFL is no place for a running QB. Its a shame because RGIII is a darn good passer. I blame the Shannahans for their stubbornness thinking that they can re-create the Baylor offense in the NFL.
    I agree, but Vick has had a pretty good career so far. I have no problem with using him as a runner, and today was a fluke play (I only remember him running a few times)

I was actually calling for a QB draw today, but the line was sucking (both line, O and D line) and both got really tired towards the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I hope he never takes another hit like that again. But if you look at the stat sheet, he only had one running attempt and 15 pass attempts. That seems pretty reasonable. I guess we can just call him bad luck.

Anyway, they really need to protect this guy. He has a great arm and wasting it would be a shame. Also, it's not his first concussion:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...or-texas-game/
    Source: NBC

People here talk about how great the O-line is, but I swear once a game he gets creamed from the weakside. And its normally a back missing his assignment or the tackle getting burned, and burned bad

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I've been wanting to ask your opinion on the hit....did you think that RGIII was sliding in an attempt "to give himself up on the play"?

With the way things are called, I thought it was a tad bit questionable that he was attempting to give himself up; it all happened so fast when Witherspoon just NAILED him.
    I would have to see it again, but in real time it looked like a clean play.

Both of my teams QB (ND and Redskins) need to learn to slide. I have been screaming at the TV for weeks (my wife keeps asking me if I am stupid or if I think the QB can hear me......that is up for debate) that they need to learn to slide, and today it bit them in the ***.

Personally, I think RGIII should have thrown the ball, and running it was a stupid decision. He could have checked down to his 2nd or third option (he was doing it all night and the backs out of the backfield were doing well) or just got rid of the ball.

I heard RG did not know what state he was in, but I also heard he was told to go home after the game (assuming he drove)

I dont know enough about concussion, only that my coaches used to tell me to "shake it off". Thankfully we have progressed from that mentality.

PS. Heard Luck really showed up today. Happy for you guys. I had to leave in the fourth quarter, but the kid looked good today.
    Last edited by vapacersfan; 10-07-2012 at 11:18 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Lastly, for whoever said it, I agree. The term "mild concussion" needs to go away, and never come back

It is like saying I am "sorta pregnant"...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Just a couple of comments:

Knowing the score in football, especially for a QB is important, since there is so much strategy in how you play depending about the score and the clock.

Also I do not have a big problem with the term mild concussion, but I think it would be more informative for them to use grades basically to give people a better idea of what the concussion consisted of, I remember having a concussion playing baseball it has to be the weirdest thing I have ever experienced

With the way that RGIII plays the game I would not suggest him playing next week, but I am not a doctor and I am pretty sure they will make the right call.

Other than that, Luck really played a good game today, still the occasional bad throws, but many were pretty good, still way too many drops by young WR/TEs but hopefully that will improve, not sure if Luck has had a 60% or greater completions percentage in a game yet and those drops are a big reason why.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Oh yeah and RGIII is not a running QB, he is a passer with very good running ability.
    Why so SERIOUS

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

"Mild concussion" is a term used by medical professionals. They use "mild" to designate the issue as non-life threatening. Doesn't mean it isn't serious.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    "Mild concussion" is a term used by medical professionals. They use "mild" to designate the issue as non-life threatening. Doesn't mean it isn't serious.
    I think that we have learned that ALL concussions are serious. Thank you..... ...

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I think that we have learned that ALL concussions are serious. Thank you..... ...
    OlBlu I think you have a serious concussion. Your prediction for yesterday was just a little..... well big time off.
    "We want Miami"