Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Luck vs Griffin - let it begin.

Default Re: Luck vs Griffin - let it begin.

Answering my own question 55.3% at home.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Answering my own question 55.3% at home.
    Anything below about 60% for a QB is unacceptable. Yes we drop a lot of passes, but Luck needs to up that completion percentage A LOT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    If he completed the majority of them, his completion percentage would be better than 53%.
    Yeah that shows he's not as good as everyone thinks he is. Luck would complete 90% of those
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Anything below about 60% for a QB is unacceptable. Yes we drop a lot of passes, but Luck needs to up that completion percentage A LOT
    Rookie, drops, longer passes. Rookie. Rookie.

And lots of rookie receivers. None of these people have worked together very long. Receivers are almost all new, all working with a new QB who is new to the NFL, and behind a makeshift offensive line that isn't good. That's more than enough to keep his % down. It's not a big deal, and I guarantee that % will only increase as the season goes on and Luck gets more comfortable w/ the team and the team w/ him.

It's been 6 games.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Pardon me as I'm not a Colt's afficianado. I think part of Luck's problem is a poor running game. We are way below average in yardage and yards per carry, even with Luck passing most of the time. The offensive line seems to be porous, probably because in part the running game is poor and they can crowd in and pressure. I'm also not impressed by the receiving corp, except Reggie Wayne. ...and this team is still 3-3.

I think Luck, a rookie who will only get much better, is the least of this team's problems.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Olblu......maybe i missed it but what did you think about manning when he first came into the league. Did you think he was a bust. You can't deny that luck and manning rookie seasons has been very similar thus far.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I'm going to venture into a thread that I don't think I care about long enough to say this: I really hope that James and LaMarr and Brett and Ziggy and Larry and Lawrence and Jason spend a lot of time knocking Griffin to the ground, all over the field on Sunday. I think he'll be confused enough by what LeBeau throws at him that we won't even need to worry about Troy's absence.

QB + Rookie? Just pressure him and hit him hard! Lather, rinse, repeat. And then hit him harder.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Pardon me as I'm not a Colt's afficianado. I think part of Luck's problem is a poor running game. We are way below average in yardage and yards per carry, even with Luck passing most of the time. The offensive line seems to be porous, probably because in part the running game is poor and they can crowd in and pressure. I'm also not impressed by the receiving corp, except Reggie Wayne. ...and this team is still 3-3.

I think Luck, a rookie who will only get much better, is the least of this team's problems.

Exactly!

Our best RB (Donald Brown), who isn't even that good, has been out the last two weeks. We have a poor offensive line and don't have good receivers outside of Wayne. Teams know that we have to throw the ball all the time. That's not exactly a desirable situation for a rookie QB to be in, yet he led game winning drives against Minnesota and GB. He would have led one against Jax too if the D didn't blow it. We got our clock cleaned in Chicago and New York, as we should have.

Peyton had Marshall Faulk as a rookie, and then Edgerrin James for 7 years. RGIII has that Alfred Morris who has played like a stud so far this year. Luck has no such luxury. He would look soooooo much better if we had a running attack that had to keep teams honest.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think part of Luck's problem is a poor running game.
    Luck doesn't have a problem. My god he has led a 2-14 team to 3 wins in his first 6 games with the team. He's a freaking rookie. He's learning a new system, new players, new coaches, to the speed of the NFL game, etc. He's not going to be great in Year 1. He has a learning curve and he's going to toss up a few utter stinkers like the Jets game. It's called being a rookie quarterback. He will get better as time goes on, with or without a great running game, although it would certainly help if he had one.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    What, exactly is going on here? I am a disenchanted Colts fan who doesn't care much for Andrew Luck. Learn to live with it, there are going to be lots more like me.... Take your censorship talk somewhere else....
    it has nothing to do with your or anyone's view of the colts.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    it has nothing to do with your or anyone's view of the colts.
    OK.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    I'm going to venture into a thread that I don't think I care about long enough to say this: I really hope that James and LaMarr and Brett and Ziggy and Larry and Lawrence and Jason spend a lot of time knocking Griffin to the ground, all over the field on Sunday. I think he'll be confused enough by what LeBeau throws at him that we won't even need to worry about Troy's absence.

QB + Rookie? Just pressure him and hit him hard! Lather, rinse, repeat. And then hit him harder.
    I too think he will have a rough day. But, I thought he would have a rough day against the Giants and he played great....

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mxrider210 View Post
    Olblu......maybe i missed it but what did you think about manning when he first came into the league. Did you think he was a bust. You can't deny that luck and manning rookie seasons has been very similar thus far.
    I saw rookie mistakes but I saw a very accurate passer who was learning a new system. Luck has already played in this system at Stanford. I thought Peyton was going to be a star and that the Colts had made the right choice. But, they didn't let a Hall of Fame QB go to make room for him either. I had watched Harbaugh a lot and I knew that he couldn't make that hard throw to the sidelines. Peyton showed right away that he could do that. I didn't think that he would develop into perhaps the best QB of his era but he had star written all over him. I just don't see that in Luck although his supporting cast is not as good as the one Peyton inherited. That is my major gripe that they took the franchise QB when they were not ready for him with an offensive line and a decent defense. I have seen that as a formula for disaster when other teams did that. The number of potential superstar QBs who were ground to death without support around them is numerous. That is what I fear will happen to Luck although I don't really care about him. I think the Colts have reverted to their preManning policy of constantly rebuilding. I saw Irsay in action without the Polians. It was very ugly indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Rookie, drops, longer passes. Rookie. Rookie.

And lots of rookie receivers. None of these people have worked together very long. Receivers are almost all new, all working with a new QB who is new to the NFL, and behind a makeshift offensive line that isn't good. That's more than enough to keep his % down. It's not a big deal, and I guarantee that % will only increase as the season goes on and Luck gets more comfortable w/ the team and the team w/ him.

It's been 6 games.
    I'm not saying it wont improve, or that there aren't factors going against him. I'm just saying 53% is unacceptable. When I hear "the most Pro ready QB prospect since Elway" I don't think of 53% completion percentage.

But you're right he's a rookie without a running game. I just wish he could do a better job of completing the shorter throws and not constantly looking and missing down-field.

We shouldn't accept a low completion percentage just because he's a rookie. If Luck is going to be great, we should hold him to a higher standard. I'm sure he'll eventually meet that standard, but he can't reach it if he's not held accountable. (if that makes sense)

I'm not saying it wont improve, or that there aren't factors going against him. I'm just saying 53% is unacceptable. When I hear "the most Pro ready QB prospect since Elway" I don't think of 53% completion percentage.

But you're right he's a rookie without a running game. I just wish he could do a better job of completing the shorter throws and not constantly looking and missing down-field.

We shouldn't accept a low completion percentage just because he's a rookie. If Luck is going to be great, we should hold him to a higher standard. I'm sure he'll eventually meet that standard, but he can't reach it if he's not held accountable. (if that makes sense)
    I guess my response to this is what do you think John Elway's completion percentage was as a rookie or even a 2nd year player?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I guess my response to this is what do you think John Elway's completion percentage was as a rookie or even a 2nd year player?
    I'll go one further and ask what do you think his CAREER % was? Hint, it's not high by any stretch.

Here's Elway's stat line from 1987, his FIFTH season in the league.

3198 yds, 54.6% completion, 19 TD, 12 INT.

What did the all knowing media think of this stat line at the time? Well, they voted him MVP for it so they must have liked what they saw.

BTW, his passer rating for that season was 83.4. Just saying.

So the question is how did he win MVP that season with that seemingly average stat line? I know how but I'm just trying to see if anyone remembers.
    Last edited by travmil; 10-25-2012 at 11:01 AM.

John Elway had a 47.5% completion average as a rookie (Luck is currently at 53.6%). Luck is already one win from tying Elway's wins that first season too.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

All due respect --- this is a very naive thing to say. As much as he's been talked up, he is still what he is --- a rookie, and expecting things like this are just unreasonable.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    John Elway had a 47.5% completion average as a rookie (Luck is currently at 53.6%). Luck is already one win from tying Elway's wins that first season too.
    Luck is better than what Elway was as a rookie. Once the Colts get a good RB and another WR (unless Wayne retires soon). Luck has the potential to be one of the greatest QBs of all time
    Smothered Chicken!

Expecting close to 60% completion percentage is unreasonable?

Elway played at a different time and in a different era. Luck even plays in a different era than when Peyton was a rookie. Due to the rule changes, QB's have been put in a position to succeed now more than ever. The rule changes give advanced QB's and receivers a huge advantage over defenses. Looking at some rookie QB's in recent history (Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Colt Mccoy) there are a number of QB's who were able to complete passes at a rate close to or above 60% in their rookie seasons. Why shouldn't I expect a rookie QB who has been heralded as the best QB prospect in forever, to do the same?

Let's not be afraid to be critical and say that Luck can improve on certain things. It doesn't mean that he sucks and that he'll never amount to what we want him to be. I know he's the golden boy around here, but given his pedigree, he should be held to a high standard. He has shown the ability to rally the troops and have a come from behind win, he's impressed in the no huddle offense, and he's shown to be a physical specimen. But that doesn't mean he doesn't need to complete a higher percentage of his passes in order for us to be successful.

I get that the kid is a rookie, and that he's got some things working against him. But if anyone thinks that 53% is an okay number, then you're expectations weren't that high to begin with.

Idc what anyone says, 53% completion percentage by a starting QB in the NFL is unacceptable.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, it is unreasonable. He's six games in. To expect a 70% competion rate, which is what the top veteran QBs running a top-flight offense (which is not what RG3 is), for a rookie in his first six games, and calling it "unacceptable" is pretty damn funny.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Looking at some rookie QB's in recent history (Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Colt Mccoy) there are a number of QB's who were able to complete passes at a rate close to or above 60% in their rookie seasons. Why shouldn't I expect a rookie QB who has been heralded as the best QB prospect in forever, to do the same?
    With the possible exception of McCoy (LOL) , how many of those guys actually had more than 1 WR to throw to or a great running game to lead the way? I honestly cannot fault Luck for throws that his wideouts not named Reggie drop.

Let's not be afraid to be critical and say that Luck can improve on certain things. It doesn't mean that he sucks and that he'll never amount to what we want him to be. I know he's the golden boy around here, but given his pedigree, he should be held to a high standard. He has shown the ability to rally the troops and have a come from behind win, he's impressed in the no huddle offense, and he's shown to be a physical specimen. But that doesn't mean he doesn't need to complete a higher percentage of his passes in order for us to be successful.
    I don't think anyone here is afraid to be critical of Luck, but how many things that we would fault Luck for now will improve simply by the game "slowing down" for him? Ive said it before and I'll say it again, I remember what Manning's rookie year was like, and looking at the two side by side, I think Luck is better at this point in his rookie year than Peyton was at the same time. Keep in mind, when the game slowed down for Peyton, we ALL saw it happening, it was almost like he flipped a light switch one day in Baltimore near the end of the year.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Yea, it is unreasonable. He's six games in. To expect a 70% competion rate, which is what the top veteran QBs running a top-flight offense (which is not what RG3 is), for a rookie in his first six games, and calling it "unacceptable" is pretty damn funny.
    70%? I said 60%

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    With the possible exception of McCoy (LOL) , how many of those guys actually had more than 1 WR to throw to or a great running game to lead the way? I honestly cannot fault Luck for throws that his wideouts not named Reggie drop.

I don't think anyone here is afraid to be critical of Luck, but how many things that we would fault Luck for now will improve simply by the game "slowing down" for him? Ive said it before and I'll say it again, I remember what Manning's rookie year was like, and looking at the two side by side, I think Luck is better at this point in his rookie year than Peyton was at the same time. Keep in mind, when the game slowed down for Peyton, we ALL saw it happening, it was almost like he flipped a light switch one day in Baltimore near the end of the year.

Who else did Cam have to throw to aside from Steve Smith? How about Sam Bradford (who did he even have to throw to period?)? His team was probably worse than this current Colts team.

I was using those guys names to showcase that it isn't unreasonable at all to think that Luck could complete the same % of passes as these guys did.

And I agree he will get better at it. Me stating that he needs to improve it doesn't mean that I don't think he will. Lol I'd just like to see the improvement by the end of the season.

Expecting close to 60% completion percentage is unreasonable?

Elway played at a different time and in a different era. Luck even plays in a different era than when Peyton was a rookie. Due to the rule changes, QB's have been put in a position to succeed now more than ever. The rule changes give advanced QB's and receivers a huge advantage over defenses. Looking at some rookie QB's in recent history (Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford, Colt Mccoy) there are a number of QB's who were able to complete passes at a rate close to or above 60% in their rookie seasons. Why shouldn't I expect a rookie QB who has been heralded as the best QB prospect in forever, to do the same?

I get that the kid is a rookie, and that he's got some things working against him. But if anyone thinks that 53% is an okay number, then you're expectations weren't that high to begin with.

Idc what anyone says, 53% completion percentage by a starting QB in the NFL is unacceptable.
    I don't think its unreasonable but its also not taking into consideration that Luck has gone against 2 great defenses on the road.

I think everyone expects him to improve including himself but this isn't a sign or a real concern IMO.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 10-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.