Thread: Luck vs Griffin - let it begin.

Threaded View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Luck vs Griffin - let it begin.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was not spearing and the commentators said it wasn't . It was a hit to the chest plate. There should not have been a penalty and that isn't me talking but everyone on air that I heard comment about it at all..... So, you think I am blind, then you must be deaf not to hear all of that. I agree with them after watching the hit...
    Article 8(f) on spearing:

"If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily. Although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those players who are in virtually defenseless postures . . ." http://nflspearhead.blogspot.com/

Perry lowered his helmet, hit Luck in the chest with the crown of his helmet (i.e. SPEARING). It's always illegal to do this, but the referees were probably also trying to make a point that this won't be allowed.

Per NFL.com's Rules Digest, these two are also listed as penalties warranting an automatic first down:
    "A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.
    Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily." http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

Both of those apply to this hit as well. Broadcasters have been wrong before. Everything about this tackle is a blatant penalty. Anyone who has ever played football at any level of the game knows this is an illegal tackle, and downright dangerous for all parties involved. Nothing about it screams "fundamental tackling!" You can call me deaf, but I heard what the broadcasters said. They are simply wrong, as you are, by the letter of the NFL rule book. Not only was this not a clean hit, it's also up to the referees discretion as to what is deemed "unnecessary," so any further arguing on the point is moot. It was a penalty, it was deemed a penalty by the officials, it was called correctly as a penalty. Any way you look at it it's a penalty. Not sure how many different ways I can explain the same thing to you before you get it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post: