Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know who the guy behind Bird is?

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Default Anyone know who the guy behind Bird is?

I think he's secretly the mastermind behind every move that Larry makes. Talk about having some great seats. I don't know how on earth you manage to score the seat right behind Larry. Anybody know who he is? A member of Pacers Digest perhaps? I've just wondered always, because you constantly see him sitting behind Bird every time the camera cuts to show Larry. He's obviously a die hard fan. Seems like he's at every single home game without fail, and always there behind Larry. Just being a fan, and cheering for the good guys. Poor guy looked like he was about to cry tears of joy during the last minute or two of the 4th quarter last night. You could tell he's been waiting for this for a long time. He deserved it. Heck, we all did. The look on his face just sort of summed everything that I personally felt as a fan. "It's been too long, but we finally made it. We are relevant again, and I'm proud to say that is MY team on the floor."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anyone know who the guy behind Bird is?

He was my softball coach when I was younger (back in early 90's). I attended high school with both his daughters (Chatard). He's had season tickets for years. Great guy
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the lottery then to the draft

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, he has been in that seat for as long as I can remember.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The best part is that he tends to be very vocal during games and you will sometimes see Larry cringe a little when he yells a little too loud, but you won't see Larry ever complain about it.

This guy also has a sweet Pacers jacket I see him wear. Great fan.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he's secretly the mastermind behind every move that Larry makes. Talk about having some great seats. I don't know how on earth you manage to score the seat right behind Larry. Anybody know who he is? A member of Pacers Digest perhaps? I've just wondered always, because you constantly see him sitting behind Bird every time the camera cuts to show Larry. He's obviously a die hard fan. Seems like he's at every single home game without fail, and always there behind Larry. Just being a fan, and cheering for the good guys. Poor guy looked like he was about to cry tears of joy during the last minute or two of the 4th quarter last night. You could tell he's been waiting for this for a long time. He deserved it. Heck, we all did. The look on his face just sort of summed everything that I personally felt as a fan. "It's been too long, but we finally made it. We are relevant again, and I'm proud to say that is MY team on the floor."

His name is Tom, he is a good guy. I've talked to him many, many times. My grandparents had the two seats next to him for the first 5 or 6 years of the Fieldhouse, until they were unable to attend games anymore and gave them up. IMO, I still think those might be the best seats in the house but I'm a little biased.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AB1077 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Yeah, Ive talked to him a few times. Very nice guy. I believe his name was Tom or Tim or something along those lines

EDIT: Tom it is.

Mood

I got to talk to him one night before a game at the Pub, and yes his name is Tom and is a very happy and easy going guy. His daughters were very good athletes and he coached them quite a bit about 10-15 years ago. He said Larry sometiimes turns around to tell him to yell at the refs for Larry. lol. I thought that was funny.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BoomBaby33 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Any idea who the young blonde girl Bird sits by sometimes is?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Any idea who the young blonde girl Bird sits by sometimes is?
    His daughter Mariah....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    His daughter Mariah....
    Do not get me started about Bird the Family man, he is a disgusting individual from that aspect.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    The best part is that he tends to be very vocal during games and you will sometimes see Larry cringe a little when he yells a little too loud,

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    The best part is that he tends to be very vocal during games and you will sometimes see Larry cringe a little when he yells a little too loud, but you won't see Larry ever complain about it.

This guy also has a sweet Pacers jacket I see him wear. Great fan.
    We sit 5 seats to Larry's right and my wife describes Tom as "the angry fan". He's...vocal...about the calls.

He's not typically objective or rational about them either.

He's had that seat since day one of the Fieldhouse as I recall. I remember AB1077 talking to me about him years ago and mentioning he knew him, but I never got around to talking to him myself.

I didn't realize that was Larry's daughter. She sat there many times this year. However Larry says almost nothing the entire game except occasionally leaning to Morway to comment. Even with his wife it's usually all focus and business.

BTW, talk about emotion, Morway was overwhelmingly happy. I think the 4 seats between us and Larry are more team/Bird/Morway seats but I've never asked the guys specifically. But when the game ended all 4 of them were hugging and shaking Morway's hand. I almost went in for a hug myself and I probably should have just as a statement on the moment.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Also I need to find out who the regular is that sits first row behind the visitor's bench and always wears his hats high up in the 70's style. I'd guess him to be about 55 and he's had those seats forever. There's just something about him that is classic Pacers fan (in a good way). Kinda reminds me of my uncle.

He has a sweet retro windbreaker Pacers jacket he wears all the time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

HC

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Also I need to find out who the regular is that sits first row behind the visitor's bench and always wears his hats high up in the 70's style. I'd guess him to be about 55 and he's had those seats forever. There's just something about him that is classic Pacers fan (in a good way). Kinda reminds me of my uncle.

I know the guy your are talking about. I was watching a classic game from MSA not too long ago and I swear I saw that dude in it. I have no idea who he is though but you're right, I think he's in section 6 row 4.

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Pretty sure you are talking about Tom O'Brien's son I think his name is Mike O'Brien. That is who always sat there when I used to go to all the games. He wears the cap, the jacket and a Pacers tie. I went to high school with him and they used to call him space head. Helps to get great seats when your old man is loaded! Good guess on the age because he is either 55 or 56.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Do not get me started about Bird the Family man, he is a disgusting individual from that aspect.
    As an international fan, not really that into Bird's family matters, may I ask you why? Is it something well known that I'm missing?

Just wondering

That's him Larry (by description), I like how I didn't even mention/remember the tie which should have been what I started with.

Whatever the reason/ability, he always shows up.

Plenty of loaded people just started coming to games last week. The Best Locker Room sucked (crowded to non-usable level). Mike at least doesn't sit in the BLR and miss the 3rd quarter like all the "VIPs" were the other night. I ended up missing a minute or two myself just trying to help my wife meet her friend in there.

The best locker room does turn into a mess at busy games. It is a bit small and the only drawback to the fieldhouse IMO. There is a similar thing in the Bradley Center in Milwaukee (and I'm guessing most NBA arenas) and Milwaukee's version DWARFS the BLR. Their bathrooms have about 10 urinals and 5 stalls compared to the cramped 3 or 4 urinals and 2 stalls in the BLR. And they had a massive bar. I wish BLR was much close to that size because it becomes a cluster **** of epic proportions during big games and the playoffs.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The best locker room does turn into a mess at busy games. It is a bit small and the only drawback to the fieldhouse IMO. There is a similar thing in the Bradley Center in Milwaukee (and I'm guessing most NBA arenas) and Milwaukee's version DWARFS the BLR. Their bathrooms have about 10 urinals and 5 stalls compared to the cramped 3 or 4 urinals and 2 stalls in the BLR. And they had a massive bar. I wish BLR was much close to that size because it becomes a cluster **** of epic proportions during big games and the playoffs.
    Yeah, I think they grossly underestimated how it would be used. I think they expected it to be transitional and didn't count on the number of people happy just to go there and hang out.

I don't have the actual architectural drawings but it would not surprise me if there was room to do some remodeling at that end. There's some constraint based on the location of the practice court and facilities, but might be able to eke out some space and rearrange the bar (like, locate the bar for in/out service closer to the front).

I hang out there for Fever games but not very often for Pacer games.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    As an international fan, not really that into Bird's family matters, may I ask you why? Is it something well known that I'm missing?

Just wondering
    Bird has a daughter who was born after he and his first wife divorced, and he has never publicly acknowledged her. Google Corrie Bird. She is in her mid 30's by now, and has always wanted a relationship with her father. She even went to Indiana State.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

My buddy dates his daughter. I've been out drinking with him. lol dude gets shmammered. I bet thats why Bird wears a scowl on his face. haha, in all fairness I get pretty blitzed too...

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Bird has a daughter who was born after he and his first wife divorced, and he has never publicly acknowledged her. Google Corrie Bird. She is in her mid 30's by now, and has always wanted a relationship with her father. She even went to Indiana State.
    Wow, didn't know it, thanks. That's just disgraceful.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    It would help if they would extend the beer choices at the mini-bar out the other tunnel. That's a lot easier to deal with...and sometimes the cheerleaders are practicing routines while you wait which isn't exactly a bad thing.

The mini is also cash only and inevitably I'll be out of cash just when BLR is packed.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    His daughter Mariah....
    I kind of thought so maybe, but wasn't sure.

I didn't realize that was Larry's daughter. She sat there many times this year. However Larry says almost nothing the entire game except occasionally leaning to Morway to comment. Even with his wife it's usually all focus and business.
    I noticed that too.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ294 View Post
    Definitely didn't know all that. That's crazy.