Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we settle this anti-JOB debate once and for all?

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Can we settle this anti-JOB debate once and for all?

Sorry for the strongly worded title, but I don't think I've ever seen a not great coach get treated like the worst coach ever like this, and I cannot understand why. He forwent a weakness so we could focus on a strength. Its worked for other teams in the past, the difference with us that we weren't super talented. He never had us as anywhere near a cellar dweller, despite that we did not have great talent. Sure he was stubborn, but he at least got results, albeit pretty mediocre ones.

My point: He was a very, very average coach. People treat him here like the anti-Christ, sent to Earth to eradicate all the post-Brawl Pacers fans. He had an up-tempo style that got us an average amount of wins. He was an old-schooler, which obviously young guys don't like. He did what was expected until the end, when we got a coach that could better utilize a more talented roster. I just want us to settle like gents why we really hate this guy, because I feel complaining as much as people here do about JOB makes us sound like spoiled brats when compared to teams with a good amount more talent, such as the Warriors or Wizards.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

2. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Can we settle this anti-JOB circlejerk once and for all?

He was the Devil and nobody would change that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Can we settle this anti-JOB circlejerk once and for all?

x's and o's wise, yes he was very average. it was his personality that made people mad. and i like seeing people fired up about this, it shows that we're still passionate for our team.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Can we settle this anti-JOB debate once and for all?

No, he really is that bad of a coach. He has no idea how to use the players he has to the best of their ability unless they are a stretch 4, and had no concept of consistency.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

I pose a different question: Can we please stop talking about this ****er? It's been almost two years. Move on.

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Hell no! We finally found something that got us off the Brawl.

Seriously, if the worst problem a fandom has is arguing just how awful their former coach was, things are pretty damn good.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

He forced MurphPosey down our throats.

NO MERCY FOR JIM THE QUITTER!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

I understand why some get tired of it. But no. You are free to not participate in JOb threads. For others who have been mad for literally years by this man's actions. they deserve to return him years of whippings. For those supporting Jim and caught in the middle of the frenzy...I'm sorry. Just get out of the way and be thankful it's not one of the current players.

Also, if he were an average NBA coach, he wouldn't be the 3rd choice for an assistant position after using his ample connections through Boston and the Ramsey connections. Whether his x's and o's were average or not, taking his treatment of players into account he really is a bad coach. Perhaps even worse then a dimwit because he poisoned team chemistry...on a team full of choir boys.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I've been a fan of basketball for the past 12 years, and I'm somewhat obsessive compulsive so I've watched a lot of it. :P

He's the worst coach...in every sense of the word..I've ever seen. Period. I don't even think I've got an accurate picture of what a bad coach is anymore because O'brien is my standard.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Just for the record, just because a person is a bad head coach does not mean they are a bad assistant coach.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

It is already settled. He was a bad coach. Was he worse than Isiah Thomas? Probably yes. Was he worse than any other Pacers coach since the 80s? Possibly yes.

Does that mean that he cannot do a somewhat decent job coaching somewhere else? No.

/end thread
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

JOB did exactly what the Pacers hired him to do. He 'coached' the group of misfits we had while Bird changed the roster. He knew it when he took the job.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry for the strongly worded title, but I don't think I've ever seen a not great coach get treated like the worst coach ever like this, and I cannot understand why. He forwent a weakness so we could focus on a strength. Its worked for other teams in the past, the difference with us that we weren't super talented. He never had us as anywhere near a cellar dweller, despite that we did not have great talent. Sure he was stubborn, but he at least got results, albeit pretty mediocre ones.

My point: He was a very, very average coach. People treat him here like the anti-Christ, sent to Earth to eradicate all the post-Brawl Pacers fans. He had an up-tempo style that got us an average amount of wins. He was an old-schooler, which obviously young guys don't like. He did what was expected until the end, when we got a coach that could better utilize a more talented roster. I just want us to settle like gents why we really hate this guy, because I feel complaining as much as people here do about JOB makes us sound like spoiled brats when compared to teams with a good amount more talent, such as the Warriors or Wizards.
    Starting a thread about JOB is a great way to end debate on the subject.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I pose a different question: Can we please stop talking about this ****er? It's been almost two years. Move on.
    Bingo!!!!

That's really the only thing we need to agree to... That we not talk about JOB... Ever again. As a matter of fact, I propose that his name never again be used in a forum post. This would please the majority of us very, very much.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    That we not talk about JOB... Ever again. As a matter of fact, I propose that his name never again be used in a forum post..
    You broke your own rule.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

As to the question is he The worst coach ever. I use the 2002 Boston Celtics to prove otherwise. The job he did there was coach of the year worthy. Taking that team to game 6 of the ECF was remarkable. He all coached rings around Isiah in the 2003 playoffs

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    No, he really is that bad of a coach. He has no idea how to use the players he has to the best of their ability unless they are a stretch 4, and had no concept of consistency.
    And was a total d*** to his young players for no good reason, probably trying to pull the old (terribly outdated) "break 'em down and then mold them" approach.

He was Isiah Thomas with a bad attitude. And to top it off he was just as arrogant with the fanbase. If he touted a stat that said to play Troy and a fan called into his show and brought it up when it backed playing someone else then he'd berate them and dismiss the issue with "there's more than one stat".

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned

I remember the time Dukedinamite called him, that was some funny s***

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    As to the question is he The worst coach ever. I use the 2002 Boston Celtics to prove otherwise. The job he did there was coach of the year worthy. Taking that team to game 6 of the ECF was remarkable. He all coached rings around Isiah in the 2003 playoffs
    They hated him Philly, for most of the same type things people hated him here for. I've read alot about his stay in Boston and Philly not many good things have been said about either stop.

Have you ever thought that Boston was a fluke, you now those things do happen. You honestly think he would have duplicated that the next season.

He resigned in Boston, after they got rid of his security blankets (Walter and Fatoine). They were not exactly mad that he left, they got rid of him without having to pay him. He again had the same criticisms in Boston.

He's a one trick pony with a flawed trick.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

His style is okay when you have a red hot Pierce and Walker to jack up bunch of shots against a team of mental midgets like the 2003 Pacers, a squad which had completely imploded. But the Celtics were swept the next round by NJ because that style can't compete against an elite team. And couldn't virtually anyone coach rings around Isiah?

I'm not going to give him an abundance of credit for getting the 02 Celtics to the ECF's in an absolutely pathetically weak Eastern Conference. The Nets were the only legitimate team in the East that year. That was the year before the Pistons added Billups, Hamilton, and Prince. Detroit won 50 games that year, but that was a much different roster than the teams that went on those deep playoff runs in later years. The Sixers, who had made the Finals the previous year, only won 43 games in 02. The Bucks collapsed and didn't even make the playoffs. Then you had teams like the Hornets, Magic, and us, which were basically .500 teams. The fact is, the 2002 Eastern Conference without question has to be one of the worst conferences in the history of the modern NBA. The fact that Pierce, Walker, and the rest of that team jacking up a bunch of threes was good enough to make the ECFs tells you just how bad that conference was. That team wouldn't get close to the conference finals in most years.

In route to the ECF's, Boston beat a 43 win Philly team and a Detroit team with a core of Stackhouse/RObinson/Corliss Williamson/Chucky Atkins/Ben Wallace. That's hardly remarkable, IMHO. You can't control who is on your schedule, but that has to be one of the easiest routes to the conference finals ever.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-21-2012 at 10:11 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I can't believe this guy STILL brings up so much conversation and controversy from Pacer fans! I'm hoping the reason he's being brought up and talked about is merely a coincidence bc he just signed as an assistant with the Mavs.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Banned

I also remember the time Hicks and Gnome interviewed and took a picture with the clown, he told them that he was going to change and Was going to play Roy in the post more often

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Bingo!!!!

That's really the only thing we need to agree to... That we not talk about JOB... Ever again. As a matter of fact, I propose that his name never again be used in a forum post. This would please the majority of us very, very much.

Thats what I have wanted for the last year.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

He doesn't even make the three worst coaches in the Pacers all-time history.

Last: George Irvine
    Second Worst: Dick Versace
    Third Worst: Isiah Thomas.

Jim O'Brien is a below-average to average coach, who happened to be coaching a very below-average team in Indianapolis.

He ain't as bad as those three clowns, though.

If you want to change the order of cotton-ball head and Zeke, okay. But they were both worse than O'Brien.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post

If he was not a very good coach, he would not have been hired to be the Dallas assistant head coach. JOB did a GREAT job with the talent he was given and he brought discipline to a team that sorely needed it.....