Thread: ESPN Insider ranks Pacers 5th:

Default ESPN Insider ranks Pacers 5th:

The big shocker? Utah! Utah was my darkhorse in the playoffs last year and they badly underperformed so I think I've at least temporary lost faith in them. But they have a lot of talent so I could be talked back into it.

Pacers are rightfully placed number five. They did have the fifth best record last year, and they're improving a lot this year. So honestly, until teams like Brooklyn and Boston prove otherwise, Indiana is the fifth best team in the NBA.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Default Re: ESPN Insider ranks Pacers 5th:

Here is the piece about the Pacers

#5. Indiana Pacers

The Pacers might not be the Miami Heat, but with Chicago's Derrick Rose expected to miss a large chunk of the 2012-13 season and the Celtics continuing to show signs of aging, Indiana might be the second-best team in the East right now. Given how young most of the Pacers' current roster is, they should stay in that position for some time.

This team doesn't have a big star, but they are very solid 1 through 5 and have excellent chemistry. Danny Granger is in his prime, David West looked better and better as the season progressed, Roy Hibbert is playing like an All-Star, George Hill showed potential as a starting point guard and Paul George may very well be the best player on this team a year from now, if not one of the best players in the league. He has that much potential.

Still, there is reason to worry. Team president Larry Bird retired and GM David Morway resigned at the end of the season, and they were replaced by former Pacers and Knicks president Donnie Walsh and former Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard. Both Walsh and Pritchard have stellar reputations, but it remains to be seen if they can execute as well as Bird and Morway did.

They got off to a rocky start this summer. The Pacers were forced to re-sign Hibbert to a max contract, gave an excessive deal to Hill, traded away Darren Collison for the right to overpay Ian Mahinmi and probably reached a bit when they selected Miles Plumlee in the late first round.

Still, the Pacers seem poised to make a run at the Heat for the next few seasons. It's unlikely they will catch them without adding a star to the roster, but if Miami suffers injuries or chemistry issues down the road, Indiana seems to be in the best position to take its spot atop the East.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not even going to say anything, but Go Pacers!

Having Utah that high doesn't give me much confidence that they know what they are talking about

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Who at ESPN wrote the article?

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who at ESPN wrote the article?
    Ford and Hollinger

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Having Utah that high doesn't give me much confidence that they know what they are talking about
    Yeah...no kidding....can someone post the explanation as to why they think Utah is considered in this list?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How about their ridiculously talented and young front line? They have good young players on the wings and really the only position they don't have a young stud is at PG.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Yeah...no kidding....can someone post the explanation as to why they think Utah is considered in this list?
    Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    How about their ridiculously talented and young front line? They have good young players on the wings and really the only position they don't have a young stud is at PG.
    Its probably because of Jamaal Tinsley
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Honestly, I don't even remember who is on their Team. They are truly a young and talented Team....but better than a Team like the Nets or even the Clippers?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I like Ford generally. Hollinger is too much of a stats nerd for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod Jones View Post

#5. Indiana Pacers

The Pacers might not be the Miami Heat, but with Chicago's Derrick Rose expected to miss a large chunk of the 2012-13 season and the Celtics continuing to show signs of aging, Indiana might be the second-best team in the East right now. Given how young most of the Pacers' current roster is, they should stay in that position for some time.

This team doesn't have a big star, but they are very solid 1 through 5 and have excellent chemistry. Danny Granger is in his prime, David West looked better and better as the season progressed, Roy Hibbert is playing like an All-Star, George Hill showed potential as a starting point guard and Paul George may very well be the best player on this team a year from now, if not one of the best players in the league. He has that much potential.

Still, there is reason to worry. Team president Larry Bird retired and GM David Morway resigned at the end of the season, and they were replaced by former Pacers and Knicks president Donnie Walsh and former Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard. Both Walsh and Pritchard have stellar reputations, but it remains to be seen if they can execute as well as Bird and Morway did.

They got off to a rocky start this summer. The Pacers were forced to re-sign Hibbert to a max contract, gave an excessive deal to Hill, traded away Darren Collison for the right to overpay Ian Mahinmi and probably reached a bit when they selected Miles Plumlee in the late first round.

Still, the Pacers seem poised to make a run at the Heat for the next few seasons. It's unlikely they will catch them without adding a star to the roster, but if Miami suffers injuries or chemistry issues down the road, Indiana seems to be in the best position to take its spot atop the East.
    What I find funny about this article is that it gives support to both the dark and light siders on this board's opinions...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

This is a *futures* power rankings, guys. They don't think Utah is the 4th best team in the league right now. These rankings take into account ownership, salary cap, current players, future picks, GMs, etc. Basically it means Utah and Indiana are in great positions going forward.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This is a *futures* power rankings, guys. They don't think Utah is the 4th best team in the league right now. These rankings take into account ownership, salary cap, current players, future picks, GMs, etc. Basically it means Utah and Indiana are in great positions going forward.
    If that is the case, I can see a Team like the Warriors being included in the list.

Smile Re: ESPN Insider ranks Pacers 5th:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Who at RealGM wrote the article?
    Fixed for posterity ... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

It's basically due to cap space (they'll have around $30 million next season), they have the Warriors draft pick unless it's in the top 6, they're high on their young players (especially Favors), and high on their management.

This basically tells me that if Wade or Lebron go down in the next three years we might come out of the East.

If that is the case, I can see a Team like the Warriors being included in the list.
    This is what they say about the Dubs:

19. Golden State Warriors | Future Power Rating: 553
    PLAYERS MANAGEMENT MONEY MARKET DRAFT
    295 (16th) 75 (19th) 80 (18th) 57 (11th) 46 (16th)

After being stuck in the high 20s for the past several editions, the Warriors finally seem to be turning the corner to respectability thanks to a revamped ownership and management group.

Joe Lacob is as engaged as any owner in the league, Jerry West is making his influence felt in the front office and new GM Bob Myers seems to have the requisite balance between basketball IQ and management IQ to lead the Warriors into the future.

On the court, Golden State continues to get more talented thanks to the addition of a legit center in Andrew Bogut at last year's trade deadline and drafting well the past few years. Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson appear to have bright futures ahead of them, and there's a chance that this year's lottery pick, Harrison Barnes, might be a third straight coup.

With Bogut commanding double teams in the post and Curry, Thompson and Barnes on the outside, the Warriors should have one of the better inside-outside attacks in the NBA next season. If Thompson and Barnes improve and Bogut and Curry show us they're healthy, they have the room to move up considerably in the players category.

Financially, the Warriors have some flexibility starting in the summer of 2014 and significant flexibility in 2015. They'll likely send their draft pick to the Jazz next year, but given the weakness of that draft, perhaps that's not such a huge blow.

(Previous rank: 20)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Speaking of, think any idiot Warriors fans would boo Joe Lacob at Chris Mullin's jersey retirement if they'd waited until this year? Bunch of idiots.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Utah made the 8th seed with a team that leaned heavily on young players like Hayward and Favors. You know, just like the Pacers in 2010-11. Then they'll have a ton of cap space coming next season. Again, like the Pacers in 2011. AND they have a bunch of blue chip prospects in their backpocket (Burks, Kanter, possibly the GS pick).

To me, I think Utah's young players are as good as say the Cavs' or the Hornets' young players. The difference is that they're already a playoff team while those other young teams are still mired in the lottery. Future indeed looks very bright for Utah.

As for GS, 19th sounds about right. They look like a classic "win now" team to me. If Bogut and Curry can stay healthy though, then maybe they can put together a couple of nice playoff runs.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Would any Insiders mind posting the article in its entirety for the few of us here interested to see what was said about other teams?
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod Jones View Post

#5. Indiana Pacers

Interesting to note that Danny Granger is playing "in his prime". And, of course, I like that he/they mentioned that Paul George might be the best player on this team, if not the league, in a year. I'd love to see it happen. We'd be even more of an interesting team then.

I, for one, have liked a near majority of what Walsh and Pritchard have done so far. I think they're ballsy (particularly K-Pritch), and like what they've pulled off so far. I hope it turns out well, so that Bird can return, but with a new state of mind, perhaps.

I'm fine with paying Roy what we paid him, and there's no way Hill is going to get worse, so that money was worth it (imo). Though I'm moderately disappointed that DC wasn't flipped for something a little better, I like what Mahinmi could bring to the team. And I still think Plumlee has enough potential to (at least) outperform Hansbrough; so that's a fine enough pick for me.

I love what's coming together with these Pacers, and I'm excited to see how they fare against most teams this season, primarily the Heat.

witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This is what they say about the Dubs:
    or they could just say the Warriors got rid of Monta Ellis and the rest of the undersized gang for some size. and suddenly instead of having to outscore people, they could defend. and just like magic they were a real playoff team. methinks there is a lesson there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This basically tells me that if Wade or Lebron go down in the next three years we might come out of the East.
    well, wade is 30 and turns 31 in mid- january and with his style of repeatedly crashing to the floor (probably at least half of those to milk calls from the refs) that stuff will take a toll on anyone. i honestly don't think he has much time left before he starts slowing down and spends significant time on the injured list. he had to get his knee drained this offseason and was unavailable for the olympics.
    his days of playing at his best are winding down pretty quick i'd say. i would guess perhaps 2 more seasons before it becomes really noticeable. shorter guys who rely on explosive quickness tend to see a quicker fall from grace than the bigger guys.