Thread: ESPN NBA Summer Forecast

Default ESPN NBA Summer Forecast

ESPN has again brought 100 voters together to try to project the records of teams and certain awards. The Eastern Conference projected standings were released today, and since PD has had quite a bit of discussion on how the Pacers stack up against the rest of the East after the offseason moves, I thought this would have some insight into how national people think:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/82...east-standings

Some highlights:

First, a point about the actual records. When building a consensus like this, the records are always going to be flattened out somewhat. So there will probably be more than 1 team in the East win more than 50 games, and there will probably be more than 2 teams in the East win less than 30. But when calculating averages between a large sample of voters with divergent opinions, that's what they came out to.

The Heat have a 10 game advantage over anybody else. The Heat would have already been on a different level than anybody else, and add in the respect given to defending champions and this is not shocking whatsoever.

The Celtics and the Pacers are both projected to win 50 with the Celtics slightly ahead. So the thought that some Pacers fans are homers for just suggesting that the Pacers are on the same level as the Celtics appears to be incorrect. It may or may not actually be true, and there certainly is room for divergent opinions, but it's not just Pacers fans saying it. It seems to be the prevailing opinion going into the season that those two teams are close.

What did surprise me though was right after that. There's a four game gap down to the Bulls, with the Nets, 76ers, and Knicks close behind them. A four game gap in an exercise like this is huge. It clearly shows that while some individual writers might put one of these teams in the top three spots, as a whole they consider them a step below than the Celtics/Pacers.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: ESPN NBA Summer Forecast

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What did surprise me though was right after that. There's a four game gap down to the Bulls, with the Nets, 76ers, and Knicks close behind them. A four game gap in an exercise like this is huge. It clearly shows that while some individual writers might put one of these teams in the top three spots, as a whole they consider them a step below than the Celtics/Pacers.
    It tells me that many of them do not expect Rose to be back for much of the season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers are getting some serious media respect. It all boils down to how they played Miami tough and how well the starting 5 plays when they are on the floor together. The bench is going to be better and everyone is expecting the next step in Paul George's progression to top 5 SG territory and Roy Hibbert establishing himself as a more consistent offensive threat.

I think this season is going to be a very good one for the Pacers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    The Pacers are getting some serious media respect.
    Yeah... It feels very strange...

Our front office has to be stomping mad that we aren't really considered underdogs this year! - Green
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I still think we'll be better than Boston, I don't care if you call me a homer. Not really surprised we are recieving media love, we deserve it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I still think we'll be better than Boston, I don't care if you call me a homer. Not really surprised we are recieving media love, we deserve it.
    I think we are a better regular season team than Boston, but if you put us in a playoff series against them, we could very well lose.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think we are a better regular season team than Boston, but if you put us in a playoff series against them, we could very well lose.
    I honestly think the only teams we will struggle with in the playoffs without seeing an actual game played this season is Miami and New York. I don't think New York is elite or anything but we struggled with them last year.