Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre Season Week 2: Colts @ Steelers

Mood

Default Re: Pre Season Week 2: Colts @ Steelers

Very good game for our young guys. I liked the defensive intensity but hopefully our corners will be better next game. Hughes was a beast again.

Luck just had to throw that pick to know what it's like to be human. Turns out he didn't like it and went back to throwing more perfect passes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Mike Tomlin: "We've seen a few misses at the #1 spot. He ain't no miss."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What an impressive performance by Luck. I'm glad that Luck threw a pick 6 because we needed to find out how he would respond to a big mistake. He followed it up with an 80 yard TD drive with some beautiful passes. That second interception wasn't his fault and was 100% on Hilton bobbling it. That would have been a TD. Luck went up against one of the best defensive coordinators ever and looked pretty damn good.

These replacement referees are awful. It's embarrassing that the NFL feels comfortable letting these guy ref even pre-season games. You cannot be the premier sports league in America if you have such inept clowns reffing the game. There were a couple of blatant holds that weren't called, an overturned TD based off of evidence that was inconclusive, and the ridiculous spotting of the ball on the one. How much money does the NFL make a year? Just pay the real refs what they want. They are worth it. There should be a huge backlash against the league if these replacement refs are around week 1 of the regular season. Can you imagine the reaction if these guys screw up in that Giants/Cowboys game with millions and millions watching? Or the Broncos/Steelers?
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-20-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Too bad about Collie leaving with concussion symptoms. Does not bode well. I guess the second boom Foote lowered on him was not a dangerous play or intentional, but I'm not convinced. Probably just an emotional reaction on my part to having his fragility due to the injury history thrown in my/our face.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Beyond the Collie sitch, there were several bright spots. Agree on Ballard. He looks as good as advertised by coaches from camp. Luck goes without saying. Thought Hilton looked good other than the butter fingers INT he caused.

Defensively, although our front line guys played sparingly (and both Mathis and Redding left with injury!), I felt like the Steeler's running attack pushed us around too much and obviously the long catch/run TD was hideous. Our second unit front seven is looking pretty good with guys like Hughes, Addison, McKinney, Nevis, and Matthews.

In the secondary, Powers, Zbikowski, Bethea all had their moments. No surprise there. Hard to say on King or any of the other candidates for the remaining CB spot. No surprise there either I suppose. Pretty good showing for STs also. AV's long FG being one highlight. Hilton flashed a nice move and straight line speed on one punt return. Coverage units were solid.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

After the pick six, Luck was 14 of 17 for 159 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. The interception was the TY Hilton bobble that should have been walked into the endzone for a 43 yard TD. That would have given Luck over 200 yards with two TDs after the pick six.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/8/2...steelers-colts

Bottom line: He is an incredible young player. I'm so glad he made the mistake with the pick six. It needed to happen.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the pick six, Luck was 14 of 17 for 159 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. The interception was the TY Hilton bobble that should have been walked into the endzone for a 43 yard TD. That would have given Luck over 200 yards with two TDs after the pick six.
    And that's in one half. The pick-6 was ugly, but he's a rook, 2nd game. He looked a little rattled at the start, but seemed to gain confidence with each snap. He seemed to making sense of it within a few drives and by the end of the 1st was practically moving it at will.... Steeler's D is no joke, either.

And how 'bout Vinatieri?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    And that's in one half. The pick-6 was ugly, but he's a rook, 2nd game. He looked a little rattled at the start, but seemed to gain confidence with each snap. He seemed to making sense of it within a few drives and by the end of the 1st was practically moving it at will.... Steeler's D is no joke, either.

And how 'bout Vinatieri?
    Vinatieri was excellent the previous two seasons. He made that 51 yarder against the Jets which should have won that playoff game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...vinatada01.htm

Hard to believe that this is his seventh season here. He's been a Colt for a long time now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Luck showed great resiliency after being down 14-0 being able to get the lead at halftime. The Steelers were a great test
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/8/2...steelers-colts

Bottom line: He is an incredible young player. I'm so glad he made the mistake with the pick six. It needed to happen.
    I would much rather have Andrew throw a pick 6 in pre-season, than Manning's pick 6 which cost us the SB.
    David "And One" West

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

I feel like the left side of the offensive line is great in pass pro but can't run block and vice versa for the other side of the line. It's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I would much rather have Andrew throw a pick 6 in pre-season, than Manning's pick 6 which cost us the SB.
    Throwing a pick 6 in the preseason doesn't preclude you from throwing one in a SB. Situations change, defenses change. Manning has thrown his fair share of those, and Luck will do so as well. That said, I'm sure he'll learn from that and just get better. The only difference between Luck and the better QBs in the league is experience, so the more he plays the better he's going to be. I think it'll take a year or 2, but he will be at the top very soon.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

My favorite pass was the touch pass that went right over the linebacker's fingertips into the hands of a receiver. Luck threw that one perfect. A centimeter lower and it's batted down or picked. Even though it's preseason there isn't a fan in the world who would say Luck hasn't been special.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Throwing a pick 6 in the preseason doesn't preclude you from throwing one in a SB. Situations change, defenses change. Manning has thrown his fair share of those, and Luck will do so as well. That said, I'm sure he'll learn from that and just get better. The only difference between Luck and the better QBs in the league is experience, so the more he plays the better he's going to be. I think it'll take a year or 2, but he will be at the top very soon.
    You know the scary part?

He played in a professional system 4 years in college.

I expected him to come out and look good, and so far I have been impressed with everything I have seen (the pick 6 was bad, but at least he bounced back. Every rookie QB has passes he wishes he could have back)

There's no doubt in my mind that we can win some games against the crappy teams that come to Lucas this season if we play like we did last night. The defense looked really solid in the first half and Luck was obviously impressive. At home, we can without question beat the likes of the Bills, Dolphins, Jags, Titans, Browns, and Vikings.

Any road victory for this young team will be impressive.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 08-20-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Every rookie QB has passes he wishes he could have back
    Even that guy in Denver (#18 I think) has had a few passes this pre-season that he wishes he could have back.

And yes - it's early for anything but crazy statements, so here's one -- I think Luck is better at this point of things than Peyton was.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    And yes - it's early for anything but crazy statements, so here's one -- I think Luck is better at this point of things than Peyton was.
    Been saying that, too, for 2-3 months.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I noticed OlBlu has yet to comment in this thread...

Double post.
    Last edited by LuckSwagger; 08-22-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    You know the scary part?

He played in a professional system 4 years in college.

I expected him to come out and look good, and so far I have been impressed with everything I have seen (the pick 6 was bad, but at least he bounced back. Every rookie QB has passes he wishes he could have back)
    Wasn't Luck a 3 year college guy because there was some debate that Luck would not opt for the draft to avoid having to play behind Peyton? Maybe he was a 3 yr player with a redshirt year.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Wasn't Luck a 3 year college guy because there was some debate that Luck would not opt for the draft to avoid having to play behind Peyton? Maybe he was a 3 yr player with a redshirt year.
    Correct. Luck was redshirted his freshman season. Played 2 years and would have been the top pick, but decided to come back for a redshirt Junior season. Luck could still be in college if he desired
    David "And One" West