View Poll Results: Do you think JOB saved the Pacers for moving to Las Vegas or Seattle?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 1.54%
  • No

64 98.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think JOB helped the Pacers stay in Indy?

Banned

Default Do you think JOB helped the Pacers stay in Indy?

OK so I'm bringing up this question because I have seen a lot of people telling me that the "non tanking seasons" (under JOB) kept the Pacers in Indiana, do you think JOB saved the Pacers stay in Indiana with his last season winning runs instead of winning 10 games a year?

Note that I know some people are going to say Larry Bird but as we know Larry was hands off regarding who to play leaving the decision in JOB's hands.

Default Re: Do you think JOB helped the Pacers stay in Indy?

The Pacers were never going to leave, and JOB certainly had absolutely nothing to do with them staying here. If anything those teams would have been better without him.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you think ther was ever a chance of that happening you are very misguided.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

JOB just about ran off what fans were left after the brawl, off court trouble, shootings etc..

I know long time ticket holders that JOB ran off that had stayed loyal after all the trouble, I was almost one of them. I was at the end of the rope, hadn't been to a game in 2 months and was just about to call it quits, when they finely fired his worthless @ss.

I give him NO credit for anything except delaying the development of the team a few years. The "undesirable" players were shipped out, any coach brought in would have changed the culture.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers were never going to leave, and JOB certainly had absolutely nothing to do with them staying here. If anything those teams would have been better without him.
    I agree that they were never going to leave, the question that I'm asking is to the people that keep telling me that "tanking" would have moved the Pacers to another city, the "non tanking" was done by JOB, so if "non tanking" kept the Pacers in Indiana does that mean that JOB is the Indiana Pacers savior? should Pacers fans give some credit to JOB for helping keep the Pacers here?

No. In the last 38 games of 2011, Vogel did more for the franchise than O'Brien did in three years.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He had absolutely, positively nothing to do with the Pacers staying in Indy. They were never going anywhere.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Tanking or not, the casuals and most just weren't interested in the product on the floor. I don't think there would have been much of a difference attendance wise if the team won 20 games or the 30-something we were winning under O'Brien. So, ultimately... No, Obie didn't help the team stick around. They'd still be here!

As for tanking in general... We all know about the success stories of Cleveland tanking and the Clippers with Blake Griffin, but no one ever brings up how many extremely high lottery picks that the Clippers (before Griffin), Washington, Milwaukee or Minnesota has had with minimal success in the regular season or play-offs.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 08-18-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

This is a ridiculous thread.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

No, I don't think the Pacers were moving but he did help by rebuilding without ever having to sink to 15 or less wins...... ...
    Last edited by OlBlu; 08-19-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I agree that they were never going to leave, the question that I'm asking is to the people that keep telling me that "tanking" would have moved the Pacers to another city, the "non tanking" was done by JOB, so if "non tanking" kept the Pacers in Indiana does that mean that JOB is the Indiana Pacers savior? should Pacers fans give some credit to JOB for helping keep the Pacers here?
    I don't buy the idea that tanking would have made any difference with the fan base. They sucked, sucking a little more would not have mattered, IMO.

I think you under estimate the large group of fans that wanted the young guys to play regardless. Some thought that would be tanking. Some thought we would win more games, growing pains and all, I was in that group.

Some thought just having JOB in charge was tanking.

Personally I'm not opposed to tanking depending on the situation. We should have tanked at the end of the season JOB's 2nd and 3rd season. The season Vogel took over we did the right thing going for that 8th spot.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

No. No. No.

No.

And if "a lot of people" told you that u r talking to the wrong people

But no coach will ever tank. But maybe I have a different definition of what tanking means.

This is a weird question

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    No.

And if "a lot of people" told you that u r talking to the wrong people

But no coach will ever tank. But maybe I have a different definition of what tanking means.

This is a weird question
    That's a reason why you fire the coach before he hurts you.

Sure, he helped the Pacers stay in Indy.....

By being fired when he was. Just from little bits and pieces I've heard, I've think his ouster was partially forced by fans en masse saying they were not going to renew their season tickets unless he was fired.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

He certainly helped them stay in Indy during the playoffs.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Well, by the end he'd united a fanbase. So there is that.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ummm tanking isn't a coaching decision. It comes from upstairs. As a coach, your job is to win games. So I don't see how JOB is keeping the Pacers in town or not. Sure Larry may not have said, hey play this guy more or less. But he didn't say, hey we are gonna tank. JOB just did his job.

Aside from the fact that I don't think the Pacers were ever going to move, I just don't see how JOB, just by coaching, kept the team in Indiana.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I want to try and define an acceptable form of tanking. It's sound and logical for a franchise to face reality and say "hey, we stink, time to jettison every asset and rebuild." I can support and probably encourage that stance. But I can absolutely not support not playing your best players, putting them in situations to fail (out of position, roles they absolutely cannot fill, that stuff).

I'm fine with a front office putting a bad team on the floor in the hopes of drafting a superstar. I'm disgusted by a mediocre team just not playing to win.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I don't buy the idea that tanking would have made any difference with the fan base. They sucked, sucking a little more would not have mattered, IMO.

I think you under estimate the large group of fans that wanted the young guys to play regardless. Some thought that would be tanking. Some thought we would win more games, growing pains and all, I was in that group.

Some thought just having JOB in charge was tanking.

Personally I'm not opposed to tanking depending on the situation. We should have tanked at the end of the season JOB's 2nd and 3rd season. The season Vogel took over we did the right thing going for that 8th spot.

The problem is "young guys" primarily consisted of Josh mcroberts with a side of AJ Price. Roy kept himself off the floor with foul trouble and Asthma as a rookie. PG only played for him for half a season. Most the fans don't even like Tyler anymore so there really wasn't young talent ,at least not that was relevant to this organizations future, on the roster.

Banned

The response seems to always be, "well, you didn't risk messing up the whole season so you are clearly satisfied with being competitive and being the 'under dog'. Wouldn't it be better to spend 5 years winning 10 games a year and finally win the lottery and get the superstar so the Las Vegas Pacers will be champions? After all, that's the ONLY WAY to win!"
    Here is an example post to those that don't know what I'm talking about.

Where's the he-- no option?! I understand the concept of the question but I think other cosches could have led us to 9th place finishes also. The last two years of the JOB era was downright atrocious to watch/enjoy as a fan.

I don't think JOB is as bad of a coach as he seemed to be here, but he should never work with a team that's trying to rebuild with younger talent.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Here is an example post to those that don't know what I'm talking about.

The point wasn't that not tanking "saved" the franchise. The point was that the most common recent "success story" being OKC is tainted by the fact that they moved once they hit their goal.

Think about this - had Chicago not won the lottery from the 10th position to get DRose, how many more years would they have had to suck before getting a high pick? Pacers were in nearly as good a position to win the lottery and didn't have the luck to do it. It isn't like within 4 years we were guaranteed to get a pick who would have been a franchise-changer. An injured EJ is still an injured EJ - otherwise, where is the Clippers' ring since they got him?

I'm with Heisenberg. You play the best players you have, you don't bench them so you can essentially lose on purpose. Reboot the team, trade your assets and rebuild from scratch, fine - but I think trading away the only players who had any remaining popularity might well have been the last straw for many fans who were sticking around.

People also forget that during JOB's first year he really was credited with getting the team to play a more exciting up-tempo style than the grind-it-out half-court offense Rick was running. It was really not until nothing particularly improved the second year that his stock started dropping with most fans - and, yes, I am aware that there were people here who hated him from day one, but it was in no way universal.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Where's the he-- no option?! I understand the concept of the question but I think other cosches could have led us to 9th place finishes also. The last two years of the JOB era was downright atrocious to watch/enjoy as a fan.

I don't think JOB is as bad of a coach as he seemed to be here, but he should never work with a team that's trying to rebuild with younger talent.
    He showed that was exactly what he was best at. He showed them discipline and they had to do it his way or walk. He did a great job of rebuilding this team on the run..... ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

The point wasn't that not tanking "saved" the franchise. The point was that the most common recent "success story" being OKC is tainted by the fact that they moved once they hit their goal.

Think about this - had Chicago not won the lottery from the 10th position to get DRose, how many more years would they have had to suck before getting a high pick? Pacers were in nearly as good a position to win the lottery and didn't have the luck to do it. It isn't like within 4 years we were guaranteed to get a pick who would have been a franchise-changer. An injured EJ is still an injured EJ - otherwise, where is the Clippers' ring since they got him?

I'm with Heisenberg. You play the best players you have, you don't bench them so you can essentially lose on purpose. Reboot the team, trade your assets and rebuild from scratch, fine - but I think trading away the only players who had any remaining popularity might well have been the last straw for many fans who were sticking around.

People also forget that during JOB's first year he really was credited with getting the team to play a more exciting up-tempo style than the grind-it-out half-court offense Rick was running. It was really not until nothing particularly improved the second year that his stock started dropping with most fans - and, yes, I am aware that there were people here who hated him from day one, but it was in no way universal.
    So according to you what saved the franchise from moving to Las Vegas? and nope nobody is asking to tank to "win the lottery".