Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 88

Thread: ESPN top 500

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,935

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Just to keep track of current Pacers, ex-Pacers, or other players of interest.


    Blake Ahearn 494
    Orlando Johnson 462
    Miles Plumlee 433
    jeff Pendergraph 421
    Lance Stephenson 405
    Ian Mahinmi 251
    Gerald Green 246
    Tyler Hansbrough 174
    D.J. Augustin 147


    AJ Price 384
    Greg Oden 372
    Troy Murphy 355
    Jamaal Tinsley 347
    Kyrylo Fesenko 327
    Josh McRoberts 304
    Dhantay Jones 301
    Lou Amundson 294
    Marquis daniels 291
    James Jones 252
    Jerryd Bayless 197
    Leandro Barbosa 183
    Brandon Rush 180
    Mike Dunleavy 166
    Jarrett Jack 161
    Stephen Jackson 151
    Al Harrington 143
    Last edited by Eleazar; 09-06-2012 at 09:45 PM.

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,935

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Barbosa at 183, that's 63 spots up from Green.
    They must not have watched Barbosa much last year.

  3. #28
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,793

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They must not have watched Barbosa much last year.
    he played decent in Toronto
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  4. #29
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,056
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he played decent in Toronto
    He played decent with the Pacers, until the playoffs where he was godawful.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  6. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Barbosa was great for the Pacers until the playoffs.

  7. #31
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,072

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    All this really does is tell me that not many ESPN guys outside of Rusillo actually watch the games and players the get paid to discuss. Whatever you think of Hollinger at least he bases his opinion on something tangible and if you follow him on Twitter it's clear he watches a lot of hoops, and if you listen to Rusillo's podcasts he clearly knows the league. Those two and Legler are really the only ESPN guys (that aren't in game commentators) that I'll listen to. It's kind of a shame really, these dudes get paid well to watch the NBA and talk about it. That's their freakin job.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  9. #32

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Gerald Henderson was 184. Wasn't he given as one of the guys about the same level as Danny.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  11. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gerald Henderson was 184. Wasn't he given as one of the guys about the same level as Danny.
    For anyone to think that is just sad.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  13. #34
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,188

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All this really does is tell me that not many ESPN guys outside of Rusillo actually watch the games and players the get paid to discuss. Whatever you think of Hollinger at least he bases his opinion on something tangible and if you follow him on Twitter it's clear he watches a lot of hoops, and if you listen to Rusillo's podcasts he clearly knows the league. Those two and Legler are really the only ESPN guys (that aren't in game commentators) that I'll listen to. It's kind of a shame really, these dudes get paid well to watch the NBA and talk about it. That's their freakin job.
    My take on ESPN's ranking is that it is a gauge of perception rather actual ability. In that sense, I think this ranking does provide interesting information, in saying how much observers around the league value various players.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Brandon Rush at 180 up from 269. Ranking higher then Green or Barbosa.
    Tyler at 174, down from 122. That's a little worse then I expected.

  16. #36
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,885
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    This is also based on a ten point scale where a one person doesn't rank anybody below a 4 or 5 and another person doesn't rank anybody above an 8. This is a very tough compilation and without them making this a big enough survey then it completely falls apart. I think the exposure to players is another thing. Look at James Jones, Joel Anthonoy, and frankly anybody else on the Heat or Lakers. They tend to all be overrated because of their exposure to who sees them. A guy like Epke Udoh is probably underrated pretty bad because he played decent minutes for two lower tier teams that didn't get a ton of nationally televised games. Plus, being young and having been injured a portion of his career how many NBA guys have seen much of his game?

    These kind of surveys are fun though I will say that. No matter how much I disagree with some of their rankings.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Dunleavy at 166.

    Pacergod2, I think I have the same view as you on this. Even though they use 104 sports experts they're all ESPN employees which corrupts the results. I'm also sure exposure is an issue. If you asked me to rate 500 players I really couldn't say that I've seen all of them play so I'd be going off of stats on lesser known players which some of these experts may do. If it makes us debate a players ranking then it's something to talk about in a very boring period of time for the nba. It might also give as a clue as to how much we over value or under value our own players.
    Just looking at Rush makes me wornder if we'd been better off keeping him then having Green.

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,935

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just looking at Rush makes me wornder if we'd been better off keeping him then having Green.
    Nope, we wouldn't. Not because Green or Rush is better than the other, but because Rush didn't want to be here anymore. His career was hurt by JOB, and he wasn't enamored with Vogel like most the rest of the players.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  20. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Jarrett Jack at 161

  21. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    DJ Augustin at 147

    Stephen Jackson 151
    Al Harrington 143

  22. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Artest at 137.
    Kaman at 113, I expect that to go up next year playing next to Dirk.

  23. #42
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    DC comes in at 98. Jameer Nelson at 102. DJ Augustin at 147? Bologna.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,935

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Apparently there is a time limit on editing a post.

    Here is an updated list.

    Blake Ahearn 494
    Orlando Johnson 462
    Miles Plumlee 433
    jeff Pendergraph 421
    Lance Stephenson 405
    Ian Mahinmi 251
    Gerald Green 246
    Tyler Hansbrough 174
    D.J. Augustin 147
    George Hill 87
    Paul George 75
    David West 56


    AJ Price 384
    Greg Oden 372
    Troy Murphy 355
    Jamaal Tinsley 347
    Kyrylo Fesenko 327
    Josh McRoberts 304
    Dhantay Jones 301
    Lou Amundson 294
    Marquis daniels 291
    James Jones 252
    Jerryd Bayless 197
    Leandro Barbosa 183
    Brandon Rush 180
    Mike Dunleavy 166
    Jarrett Jack 161
    Stephen Jackson 151
    Al Harrington 143
    Ron Artest 137
    Chris Kaman 113
    Darren Collison 98
    Kawhi Leonard 95
    OJ Mayo 90
    Goran Dragic 83
    Mike Conley 65
    Last edited by Eleazar; 09-17-2012 at 01:19 PM.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  26. #44
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,188

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently there is a time limit on editing a post.

    Here is an updated list.

    Blake Ahearn 494
    Orlando Johnson 462
    Miles Plumlee 433
    jeff Pendergraph 421
    Lance Stephenson 405
    Ian Mahinmi 251
    Gerald Green 246
    Tyler Hansbrough 174
    D.J. Augustin 147


    AJ Price 384
    Greg Oden 372
    Troy Murphy 355
    Jamaal Tinsley 347
    Kyrylo Fesenko 327
    Josh McRoberts 304
    Dhantay Jones 301
    Lou Amundson 294
    Marquis daniels 291
    James Jones 252
    Jerryd Bayless 197
    Leandro Barbosa 183
    Brandon Rush 180
    Mike Dunleavy 166
    Jarrett Jack 161
    Stephen Jackson 151
    Al Harrington 143
    Ron Artest 137
    Chris Kaman 113
    Darren Collison 98
    And just for completeness, Sundiata Gaines is at 408 and Sam Young is at 275.

  27. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,900

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DC comes in at 98. Jameer Nelson at 102. DJ Augustin at 147? Bologna.
    I really don't think that's off far enough for me to disagree strongly with it. DC should be somewhat higher then Augustin but maybe Augustin should be a littler higher then 147. I think our fans often undervalue a player when they don't show the potential to be an all star but DC was a solid player. We were completely fleeced by the Mavs in trading DC for nothing more then a player we could have just signed. In the end we didn't even use the cap space it created.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  29. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,935

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Looks like all 5 starters will be at a minimum in the top 90.

  30. #47
    Pacers Fan For Life J7F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Seymour, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,055

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were completely fleeced by the Mavs in trading DC for nothing more then a player we could have just signed. In the end we didn't even use the cap space it created.
    Wasn't that space used on DJ & Green?
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

  31. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,935

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't that space used on DJ & Green?
    Yes, and no. Becuase re-signing Hill and Hibbert were all about timing in order to sign those other players you could make an argument both ways.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

    J7F

  33. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,383

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    George Hill comes in at #87, up from #91 the year before.

  34. #50
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,536

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN top 500

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All this really does is tell me that not many ESPN guys outside of Rusillo actually watch the games and players the get paid to discuss. Whatever you think of Hollinger at least he bases his opinion on something tangible and if you follow him on Twitter it's clear he watches a lot of hoops, and if you listen to Rusillo's podcasts he clearly knows the league. Those two and Legler are really the only ESPN guys (that aren't in game commentators) that I'll listen to. It's kind of a shame really, these dudes get paid well to watch the NBA and talk about it. That's their freakin job.
    The only other guy I'd lump in there is Simmons. I love his perspective, even if he's whiffed on a couple of things. Rusillo is by far the best NBA mind at ESPN.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •