Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JOB to reappear as Mavs assistant coach?

Gotta Play Big

Default Re: JOB to reappear as Mavs assistant coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol now THIS is funny.
    Yes, it's very funny. I'm happy Rush is in GS. Not as happy as Jim being in Texas...but pretty happy.

Guess we'll be seeing the Patented Troy Murphy Trailing 3pter in Dallas?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Guess we'll be seeing the Patented Troy Murphy Trailing 3pter in Dallas?
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rick, Rick, Rick! It's three minutes into the second period! Time to take Dirk out!

Rick: Jim, he's hitting everything he's putting up.

Yeah, but it's three minutes into the second period! Jeez, it's three minutes and 26 seconds now! Get him out! Here...look at my clipboard. See? Time to take him out!
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

JOB seems like the classic example of a stat/detail oriented type of guy who will make an excellent assistant, but a terrible head coach. It is very important for the head coach to have a sense of the bigger picture.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I think Dahntay will do a lot better if Jim is not the main guy.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Default JOB to Dallas as assistant

RealGM Wiretap
    Basketball news gathered from around the net.

Mavericks Expected To Hire Jim O'Brien To Become Lead Assistant
    Aug 18, 2012 11:44 AM EDT

Jim O'Brien is the frontrunner to join the Mavericks coaching staff following the departure of Terry Stotts to the Blazers.

Dallas was also considering Steve Clifford and Jay Triano, but both took jobs elsewhere this week.

O'Brien was fired by the Pacers during the 10-11 season.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz23wOlEf5c

They must like pacer castoffs

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This continues to speak of O'Brien's high currency with Bird. I don't think Carlisle would be considering OB as an assistant if Bird was telling him how terrible he is.
    I believe you are right about that and I do not believe that Bird ever thought he was terrible. In fact, he did a great job of taking what Bird gave him and rebuilding on the fly. Much of the success we are having now is a direct result of JOB's good work..... ...

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I believe you are right about that and I do not believe that Bird ever thought he was terrible. In fact, he did a great job of taking what Bird gave him and rebuilding on the fly. Much of the success we are having now is a direct result of JOB's good work..... ...
    Yes. He did a great job building Roy Hibbert's confidence and developing Granger's defense. He also helped McRoberts become a great 3 point shooter....and showed the world why Troy Murphy should get 40 mpg. I still can't understand why LA doesn't agree.

But team chemistry is where he really helped us the most. I would not be surprised if he went down in Pacer history as the players favorite coach.....

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Some of you guys really need to bury the hatchet here. It's like the guy personally poisoned your dogs or something. He was a crappy coach for a few years that were going to be crappy anyway.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Much of the success we are having now is a direct result of JOB's good work..... ...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Some of you guys really need to bury the hatchet here. It's like the guy personally poisoned your dogs or something. He was a crappy coach for a few years that were going to be crappy anyway.
    And he was only "crappy" because he didn't do the things that needed to be done to help the franchise long term. A long term he obviously wouldn't have been around for. JOB's teams won more games than they should have. That doesn't mean I like him, or think his style of basketball is at all enjoyable, but it's true.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Can't help but feel sorry for Dallas.
    First they couldn't get Deron or Nash, then they got Collison as their starting PG, then Orlando decided it was their turn to do the Lakers a favor and now they hire O'dumb.
    Looks to me like they have their own Murphy on the team: Law of Murphy

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Dallas has an owner who's willing to spend but puts a premium on doing it intelligently. Before Cuban Dallas was a sad sack, but not any longer. He's the best owner in professional sports as far as I'm concerned. There's absolutely no reason to feel bad for them. They struck out on the superstars. And they made outstanding moves to be a solid team while maintaining incredible flexibility. Good for them, sincerely. Cuban and the Mavs haven't lucked into a thing, no tanking, just spending cash and finally capitalizing on the potential of hteir market. All while sticking a middle finger up to Stern. Keep doing your thing Cuban, the NBA's better for it.

This is our "problem." Compare the dot com billionaire Cuban to the centralized shopping mall billionaire Simon bros. They were all new members of the billionaire boys club but one did it because he was a competitive SOB that needed an outlet, the others did it as a civic service. And I'm forever, FOREVER grateful for that. But I've gotten hungry. You can only put together upper tier teams that make a bunch of Conference Finals so many times before we get complacent. I like making ECFs a helluva lot more than I do getting the 13th pick, that's clear. But I like owners that say **** you we're winning a ring more. Ain't my money, I realize that. But I want one that approaches it that way. Thanks for saving professional basketball in Indiana Herb, but time's up. PD can give you, like, 3 stacks for the franchise. I don't know, I'm just frustrated.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-19-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    And he was only "crappy" because he didn't do the things that needed to be done to help the franchise long term. A long term he obviously wouldn't have been around for. JOB's teams won more games than they should have. That doesn't mean I like him, or think his style of basketball is at all enjoyable, but it's true.
    I think this concept is more legend than truth (that he won more games than he should have). In any event, it's far from proven. I actually don't believe it's true because within the same season a different style was far more effective in terms of winning games.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

There has always been this assumption that the JOB teams won more games than they should have. I think that's hogwash.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    No. I tried to hospitable to him, and in fact I was probably one of the last to get on the fire Jim O'Brien bandwagon, but that jerk quit on his team 6 weeks before he was fired. Watch how we started the season up until JOB decided to have Posey take over the Troy Murphy role. JOB QUIT on our team.

Unforgivable.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    There has always been this assumption that the JOB teams won more games than they should have. I think that's hogwash.

If that were the case, he would never have gotten another coaching job. He had a good reputation before he came here. He did a great job given the circumstances. There was no coach on earth that was going to push that group into the playoffs or even close to .500. Murphy, Dunleavy, Tinsley, McRoberts and other had to be sent packing. JOB brought discipline to an out of control team that sorely needed it. He did that and kept a really bad team from sinking to ten or less wins. The Pacers owe much of their current success to JOB even if they won't admit it..... ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    No. I tried to hospitable to him, and in fact I was probably one of the last to get on the fire Jim O'Brien bandwagon, but that jerk quit on his team 6 weeks before he was fired. Watch how we started the season up until JOB decided to have Posey take over the Troy Murphy role. JOB QUIT on our team.

Unforgivable.

He didn't quit on that team, that team quit on him....... JOB did a good job getting the Pacers through an almost complete rebuild. When he left, only three players remained from his first year..... ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think this concept is more legend than truth (that he won more games than he should have). In any event, it's far from proven. I actually don't believe it's true because within the same season a different style was far more effective in terms of winning games.
    You only had that team that started winning some games for a few months. JOB had to try and win with Murphy, McRoberts, Tinsley and other stiffs. I think if JOB had stayed, that team would have had the same number of wins as they wound up with Vogel. That said, the team was ready to start winning and in the NBA and the NFL, the rebuilding coach has to go and be replaced by a new voice. I am not sold on Vogel and if JOB had stayed, I think we would have made a better hire. The man who should be coaching the Pacers is sitting on the bench right now..... ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think you have it exactly right. Everyone in the NBA knew JOB did a great job in Indy and everyone knew he would be right back as an assistant or a head coach. Everyone outside of Indianapolis, that is. I heard lots of claims that he would never coach again but only Pacer fans who had a "homer" view of their Pacers believed that. JOB established discipline to a team that Carlisle lost control of at the end of his tenure. That was the reason for his "my way or the highway" approach and I assure you that he had Bird's blessing in that. I am also sure that he got Bird's recommendation for a new job....... ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yes. He did a great job building Roy Hibbert's confidence and developing Granger's defense. He also helped McRoberts become a great 3 point shooter....and showed the world why Troy Murphy should get 40 mpg. I still can't understand why LA doesn't agree.

But team chemistry is where he really helped us the most. I would not be surprised if he went down in Pacer history as the players favorite coach.....
    Hey!!! ... McBrick was a totally lost cause. It wasn't his job to build Hibbert's confidence, it was job to make him a basketball player. He did that. Granger has never played defense for anyone including a highly regarded Coach K. No one is going to be able to do that. He was a disiplinarian and those kind do not get love from the players. But those players needed that because they had walked all over Carlisle.... Give JOB this current team and a mandate to win and not rebuild and he would do fine and he would have a different approach. Bird always supported JOB and I am sure he still does.... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

Unforgivable.
    Players quit on their teams all the team. Management quits on their teams of the time (tanking). It happens. I'm not convinced JOB did it, but I don't care either way. It's the past and I don't care.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He sat Josh down against the Bulls in the fourth quarter when McBob had the hot hand just before the referees mercifully ended the JoB reign of tyranny 3 minutes early and cost us that game (not to mention the many other games that season he cost us, SA at home for example). He didn't think that team could make the playoffs. I said it on here a couple weeks before he was canned that he had quit on them
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

I disliked JOB especially by the middle of that 3rd year, but I don't think he'd be a bad assistant coach at all. In fact, I didn't think he was a bad coach so much as I thought he was a bad coach for us. He got in a rut here (as evidenced by the strict subbing pattern) and he certainly lost his players. I wouldn't have ever been quite so livid about it, if he hadn't been given that maddening extension. But overall I think he is a sound coach that could have a positive impact at the assistant level. I think this will turn out to be a good pickup for the Mavs.

I do feel bad for DC and DJ though. I really like those two guys, and this will really suck for them especially DC. Jones I think has the demeanor and experience to put the past behind him and move forward, but I'm afraid Collison will have a hard time with it.