Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ Augustin Playing Time

Default Re: DJ Augustin Playing Time

vogel did shorten the rotations during the playoffs. by the end of the miami series, he was basically using 6 guys full time and the rest in short stretches. during the orlando series, it was 8 guys, but first tyler and then leandro managed to play them selves into a part time status.

I agree that the most important thing is getting 8 guys that vogel can trust. That seems to be the best number for a playoff run. If a team is playing 10 guys, it's because they don't have 8 guys that can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope you are right. I want a 8 man rotation come playoff time. Yes we have more talent on the bench. But last year it was pitched that we have a deep team. Well the leadership believed that with the line changes and stiff rotations in the playoffs.

I would think that a pro coach will adjust, and shorten rotations. But we have not seen that. Doesn't mean it won't happen. It is something to watch as the season progresses.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This team is poised for a 10- converted to 8-man rotation. Green, Augustin, and Mahinmi will probably be our bench rotation come playoff time. Tyler and Lance will probably be 9 and 10 during the year.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    vogel did shorten the rotations during the playoffs. by the end of the miami series, he was basically using 6 guys full time and the rest in short stretches. during the orlando series, it was 8 guys, but first tyler and then leandro managed to play them selves into a part time status.

I agree that the most important thing is getting 8 guys that vogel can trust. That seems to be the best number for a playoff run. If a team is playing 10 guys, it's because they don't have 8 guys that can play.
    Game 5 of Magic was the rotation that I like in the playoffs. But if you look at the box scores of all the Heat and most of the Magic, we had a 9+ man rotation. The Starters played more than in the season. But all rotational players still played some.

I think Ian alone will help shorten the rotation. And Hill will always get 28 mpg+. But there is no reason we play Greene, Lance, and Tyler 10 mpg+ in the playoffs. Maybe just Greene, or just Lance, or just Tyler. But please not all three. I would rather see one of those guys get 20 mpg and have our starters out with rotational players than having three bench players get those minutes.

Sports Logo

If we had more reliable and consistent talent.....I think that Vogel would have relied on more than a 6 man rotation in the playoffs. The way that I look at it now...we should have a very reliable 7-man rotation with GH/PG/Granger/West/Hibbert/DJ/Mahinmi. Add in Green and Hansbrough....we should have a decent 9-man rotation.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

DJ Augustin:
    - hasn't lived up to expectations..... but has shown glimpses.
    - played for a horrible team/organization, so we could say "he was part of the problem" or "he was in a bad situation".
    - has a desirable skillset for this team.

There's a lot of questionmarks. Will he pull a Jalen Rose and see a lot of success here, or will he be the same player we've seen in Charlotte.... not consistent.

I think he has the potential... I think he has a team and a system that could lend success to him, so there's really no reason why he shouldn't experience a bit of a career resurrection.

But that's all up to him, I guess we'll all find out.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Game 5 of Magic was the rotation that I like in the playoffs. But if you look at the box scores of all the Heat and most of the Magic, we had a 9+ man rotation. The Starters played more than in the season. But all rotational players still played some.

I think Ian alone will help shorten the rotation. And Hill will always get 28 mpg+. But there is no reason we play Greene, Lance, and Tyler 10 mpg+ in the playoffs. Maybe just Greene, or just Lance, or just Tyler. But please not all three. I would rather see one of those guys get 20 mpg and have our starters out with rotational players than having three bench players get those minutes.
    basically yes. i don't have the playoff minutes in front of me, but IIRC the starters + DC + Leandro played just about as much as they could. the other guys played only as much as they had to get guys a blow. putting amundson in for 5 minutes does not mean, to me at least, he is in the rotation.

My prediction is Ian, Gerald and DJ will be the main guys to add to the starters come playoff time. Gerald looks like a guy that can meet vogel's 'score and defend your position' metric. I hope Ian has some way he can score so that he can be effective as the 3rd big. That is something I'm going to watch for this season. Be nice to have a little size inside for a change.

I have no expectation that DJ can defend, but he is the backup PG. He gets the least amount of minutes in an eight man rotation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If we had more reliable and consistent talent.....I think that Vogel would have relied on more than a 6 man rotation in the playoffs. The way that I look at it now...we should have a very reliable 7-man rotation with GH/PG/Granger/West/Hibbert/DJ/Mahinmi. Add in Green and Hansbrough....we should have a decent 9-man rotation.
    It would be great if the Pacers end up with 9 guys that can play. I was starting to feel sorry for vogel, roy and david by the end of the playoffs. They just didn't have a 3rd big at all. You could just feel Vogel going 'Oh everytime he looked down the bench by the end of the Miami series.

I expect/hope Gerald Green and Ian Mahinmi will become two way players by the end of the season. Even better if Tyler and DJ can defend their position. I have less expectation and more hopefullness with them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It makes no sense to start Hill and bring D.J off the bench. George Hill is primarily a scorer. D.J Augustine is primarily a facilitator. The only thing that starting Hill and benching Augustine accomplishes is to diminish both players skill sets. Hill's scoring will be overshadowed by our other more efficient options, while D.J's passing will be wasted on inefficient offensive players. Our starting unit needs a point guard that can get them the ball in advantageous positions, not another scorer to take shots away from them, while our bench needs an efficient scorer that can take over the game for a stretch, and not a facilitator to pass to low efficiency offensive players.

This really shouldn't even be up for debate. Everything about George Hill screams sixth man. He has the offensive skills to play both guard positions, is a good scorer, and has the length and quickness to adequately defend just about any guard in the league. We might as well just start calling him Jason Terry.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D0NT SH0OT ME For This Useful Post:

DJ will play at least 30 minutes a night rather starting or not.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

no, I do not expect DJ to play starter minutes. I expect him to be the backup point. No more and no less. IMO, DJ is a temporary player. Unless something special happens, he will be gone next season and someone else will be the backup PG.

For all that DJ brings to the table, the fact remains he is too short and too gawd awful a defender to be a 30 mpg player. at least here in Indiana. Vogel has said over and over that he is looking for guys that can score and defend their position. That metric leaves DJ in the part time role player mode. I see DJ's role as similar to Tyler or Leandro's. A guy that can score, but is a liability on the defensive end.

fwiw, Pacers seem to have 6 guys that currently fit the score and defend their position metric. Hill, Paul, Danny, David, Roy and Gerald Green. The jury is still out on Ian Mahinmi. and who knows about OJ, Lance, Miles and OJ.
    I think the same. I believe that his contract is expiring, so I anticipate a good year from him. He will most likely be a valuable player for us off the bench. His role will be to run the offense and hit open threes or gimmies when he has them. He is very tradeable, so a trade wouldn't surprise me. Something exceptional would have to happen for the Pacers to keep him.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This team is poised for a 10- converted to 8-man rotation. Green, Augustin, and Mahinmi will probably be our bench rotation come playoff time. Tyler and Lance will probably be 9 and 10 during the year.
    I think that until we get a better offensive scoring option at the PF option than Hansbrough.....I suspect that he'd be included in the 9-man rotation. Hansbrough isn't a great scorer by any means....but he offers something different than what Mahinmi or Miles will likely bring to the table on the offensive end.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D0NT SH0OT ME View Post
    It makes no sense to start Hill and bring D.J off the bench. George Hill is primarily a scorer. D.J Augustine is primarily a facilitator. The only thing that starting Hill and benching Augustine accomplishes is to diminish both players skill sets. Hill's scoring will be overshadowed by our other more efficient options, while D.J's passing will be wasted on inefficient offensive players. Our starting unit needs a point guard that can get them the ball in advantageous positions, not another scorer to take shots away from them, while our bench needs an efficient scorer that can take over the game for a stretch, and not a facilitator to pass to low efficiency offensive players.

This really shouldn't even be up for debate. Everything about George Hill screams sixth man. He has the offensive skills to play both guard positions, is a good scorer, and has the length and quickness to adequately defend just about any guard in the league. We might as well just start calling him Jason Terry.
    I suspect that we will be seeing the 2012 version of Wells prediction that DJ will be supplanting GH as the Starting PG at some point of the season

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Don't know if anybody has posted this but DJ is in town.

From Eddie White's twitter last night(ESPN's Sage Steele and DJ):

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Don't know if anybody has posted this but DJ is in town.

From Eddie White's twitter last night(ESPN's Sage Steele and DJ):
    Either Sage Steele is really tall for a woman....or DJ is much shorter than most of us expect.

Either Sage Steele is really tall for a woman....or DJ is much shorter than most of us expect.
    I'm pretty sure he is only 5'10"... Not too many NBA players I can look down on... But he's one of 'em...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by D0NT SH0OT ME View Post

It makes sense to me. Hill is needed in the starting lineup for his defense to cover up for our poor perimeter defending big men and our offense isn't much more than pass it to West or Hibbert in the post and let them go to work or pass it to Granger and have him shoot it over his man. Having 5 guys on the court who are all good scorers is exactly what we are trying to achieve and use as our strength.

IMO Augustin in the starting lineup would just experience the same every other PG has experienced so far playing with the frontcourt players we have right now: lack of movement makes it so much harder to find the open man. It is not only his fault Collison struggled.
    Augustin can be as good as a sixth man as Hill is. He can come in and facilitate offense when our starting lineup is struggling, he can facilitate the offense of our less gifted bench players and he can score, no doubt about that.

I prefer Hill to start, but if DJ brings what I think he will bring, I want to see his minutes being close to Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is only 5'10"... Not too many NBA players I can look down on... But he's one of 'em...
    He is 5'10", but listed as 6'0". Don't understand why they allow such fraud.

Well, word is that he's short, but then again, Sage is around 6'1" or so... Ntm heels...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MvPlumlee View Post
    IMO Augustin in the starting lineup would just experience the same every other PG has experienced so far playing with the frontcourt players we have right now: lack of movement makes it so much harder to find the open man. It is not only his fault Collison struggled.
    Well, we'll see how it plays out. I think the hope is that Augustin will have better court vision than Hill, who had better court vision than Collison. If that's the case, he just might be a spark to the starter's offense, and that would make a case for him getting some starters minutes.

Even so, i wouldn't argue for Hill getting less minutes than DJ. Hill needs to close games because of his excellent defense and clutch play. Beyond that, there is the fact that we just emptied the purse for him.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

It makes sense to me. Hill is needed in the starting lineup for his defense to cover up for our poor perimeter defending big men and our offense isn't much more than pass it to West or Hibbert in the post and let them go to work or pass it to Granger and have him shoot it over his man. Having 5 guys on the court who are all good scorers is exactly what we are trying to achieve and use as our strength. . .
    Vogel has said that he wants guys that can score and defend their position. That definition seems to leave DJ out. He can score, he is an offensive player, but he cannot defend his spot unless he is playing against another short guy. I just see this DJ as a starter thing more based on his college reputation than his actual NBA performance. I hope DJ has a good year, but I do not expect him to be anything other than just another guy.

Pacers starters strength, at the end of last season, was the lack of a weak link that could be attacked and the lack of a guy you could ignore offensively. Putting DJ into the starting lineup gives the Pacers a guy that is going to need help defensively. I just don't see that as something vogel wants to do.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Vogel has said that he wants guys that can score and defend their position. That definition seems to leave DJ out. He can score, he is an offensive player, but he cannot defend his spot unless he is playing against another short guy. I just see this DJ as a starter thing more based on his college reputation than his actual NBA performance. I hope DJ has a good year, but I do not expect him to be anything other than just another guy.

Pacers starters strength, at the end of last season, was the lack of a weak link that could be attacked and the lack of a guy you could ignore offensively. Putting DJ into the starting lineup gives the Pacers a guy that is going to need help defensively. I just don't see that as something vogel wants to do.
    It would be great if Lance actually steps up this year. He can fulfill Vogel's two-pronged test if he does the "P" thing.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

We just signed George Hill to a 5 year, $8 million per contract. D.J. Augustin is not playing 30 mintues a night.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    It would be great if Lance actually steps up this year. He can fulfill Vogel's two-pronged test if he does the "P" thing.
    IF Lance can get it together, then it settles lots of issues. Plus Lance's size at the point makes the Pacers a dreadful matchup for all those teams that have been downsizing.

Man, I hope so.

It makes sense to me. Hill is needed in the starting lineup for his defense to cover up for our poor perimeter defending big men
    What exactly are you saying here? Please clarify.

and our offense isn't much more than pass it to West or Hibbert in the post and let them go to work or pass it to Granger and have him shoot it over his man.
    Or run Paul George off some screens and kick it to him. All four of our other starters are heavily involved in our offense, which is an extremely thing rare to find in the NBA. The reason it is so rare is because you can only have so many offensive options on the floor before they begin to disrupt each others play.

We don't need another scorer to disrupt the play of our other four scorers. We need a facilitator that can compliment our four scorers on offense by getting them the ball in advantageous positions.

Having 5 guys on the court who are all good scorers is exactly what we are trying to achieve and use as our strength.
    Except that is not always an effective strategy. If it were people like Jason Terry and Manu Ginobili would start every game for their respective teams. They do not, however, because unless one of those 5 scorers is also a talented facilitator a la Steve Nash, that unit will be unable to move the ball effectively, and the bench will suffer a drop in scoring from not having enough offensive options present.

D.J Augustin and Darren Collison are vastly different players. Like Hill, Darren was primarily a scorer. Augustin is primarily a distributor.

Let me ask you a question. Why do you feel like Darren struggled? Going off of statistics, Darren had a very good season, so why do you believe he struggled?

Augustin can be as good as a sixth man as Hill is. He can come in and facilitate offense when our starting lineup is struggling, he can facilitate the offense of our less gifted bench players and he can score, no doubt about that.

I prefer Hill to start, but if DJ brings what I think he will bring, I want to see his minutes being close to Hills.
    Augustin cannot be as good of a sixth man as Hill is. The concept of a sixth man involves someone that is versatile in what positions they can play, and is able to effectively mesh with both the starting and second unit. Augustin fits neither of those parameters. He cannot play any other position than point guard, and he will not be an effective player with our bench unit.

What so many people seem to not understand is that a basketball lineup is all about combining players that maximize each others abilities. While putting five scorers on the floor at one time might seem like a good idea, in reality all it does is minimize each player's skill set. They cannot all score the ball at the same time, so all of their shot attempts per minute are going to go down, which in turn minimizes their effectiveness. The same thing happens to our bench. With only one efficient scorer left on our bench our opponent's defense will focus on him, which will reduce his and our entire second unit's effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We just signed George Hill to a 5 year, $8 million per contract. D.J. Augustin is not playing 30 mintues a night.
    DJ was in indiana Looking for a place he has been back for about a week or so he leaves to go back out there on Monday for good. Hill will play the two some this year trust me. Also, a playing time clause just may be in DJ's contract. (wink, wink)