Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
The Colts, Green Bay, Tampa Bay Bucaneers, the Florida Marlins, yes the NBA has been rewarding big markets lately, but by the same token it's a bit of a chicken or an egg scenario can't you also just say the big market teams have been well run?

Let's look at some of the small market NBA teams that have been successful, the Pacers of the 90's, the Nets of the early 2000s, the Utah Jazz of the 80s and 90s, the Oklahoma City Thunder currently, the Spurs for the last 15 years. Yes, the Spurs are the only team that won a title but all of those squads made the finals. Making the finals is a pretty good start to winning a title.

At what point do we accept that the Lakers are in a good market, but maybe, just maybe they have also been very well run? If being in a big market was all it took how do you explain New York, the Bulls from 1998 to 2008, the Clippers forever, the Warriors (they have Oakland AND San Francisco to draw from), Toronto (a HUGE market), being in a big market might mean something but it definitely doesn't mean everything. Management matters and whether anyone here wants to admit it or not, the Lakers, the Celtics, the Heat, all these teams have been very well run to get where they have been recently. Look at the Celtics specifically KG didn't even WANT to go there until Ainge made the move to bring Ray Allen in, it's not like KG was like ZOMG ZOMG THE CELTICS WANT ME AND I'M STUCK IN MINNY I MUST GO NOW. No, until they got Ray, KG was like, Boston is a cool city, but you know what I'm all good in Minnesota unless they get better.
Well when I mentioned the larger markets I only meant in the NBA. The NFL has long shattered the idea that only large markets work well. Also, the Nets are in a fairly large market, obviously not NY or LA but much bigger than a lot of other markets.

However, I actually agree with you on a lot of your post. I've always felt that teams like the Lakers are ran VERY well. I'm a big believer that you make your own luck, and the Lakers have definitely done that over the past 30 years or so. They get the very best when it comes to their FO, as well as their coaching staff. When you add those factors to the fact that they also are VERY aggressive, they easily make their own success.

With that said, it makes it a lot easier to do these things when 1. your television market helps the money flowing in, and 2. your owner is willing to go well over the luxury tax threshold and will spend inordinate amounts of cash in order to keep your team in championship contention. These are the only true advantage I see a bigger market team has over a smaller market team.