Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 222

Thread: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm? {New Video link Post: 207}

  1. #151

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So the Star says the sound system is already done and debuted during the Fever game Thursday. Can anyone on here give a report?
    If a sound system debuts during a WNBA game does it still make a sound?

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:


  3. #152
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,924
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So the Star says the sound system is already done and debuted during the Fever game Thursday. Can anyone on here give a report?
    I can't give you a live report, but I did watch the game on Live Access and I could hear a difference. That was before I read that part of it was to be completed by game time, so it was probably more than confirmation bias. Seemed as if I could hear words coming over the PA system more clearly than before the Olympic break - usually it just sounds like a blaring jumble through the feed. It was actually a little distracting in terms of focusing on listening to Denari call the game. So if I can hear a difference that way, I'd guess it would be pretty noticeable live (and completed).
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:


  5. #153
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    It was noticeably louder at the start of the game. Clearer I don't know - where I sit it has been pretty easy to hear well all along.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  6. #154
    Member CoolHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    303
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    10k a month is a lot of money to begin with but wont buy you that kind of connections, at least not in this world yet.
    only on peak ussage, lol, you seem to forget that every smart phone entering the wifi will seek contact, register and from then on runs his background apps through the wifi, 10k users was a low estimate.

    I would estimate the cost for the pipe alone to be around 100k a month and that is without the infrastructure, unless you think you can run those kind of pipes on a dsl modem.

    it would have to be brought in on fibre, (dark preferably) with at least one failover line. meaning that investment in hw alone would be close to a million add to that to 1 million plus a year for the pipe to exist, to do exactly what ? allow you to twitter during a game?? I think you lost me there.

    So player X makes to much, we should throw the money towards making sure the fans can twitter during the game, didn;t you come there to watch the game? what on earth makes you think anyone is THAT interested what you have to say DURING the game?

    sorry but it is frivolous to say the least
    Sorry, but you are offbase with your cost. My company has over 10,000 users doing real work fed from dark fiber in downtown indy and we're spending less than 5k/month. So maybe not in "your world" (England?), but in downtown Indy, yes, it is possible. The initial outlay may be a few hundred thousand (if they don't already have good connection there to run all the offices that are in the building), but the monthly cost is really peanuts when your talking that kind of budget. Personally I'd rather they'd have spent some of the $30 million they just spent on that upgrade instead of some of the other things that they did spend it on. (or just tacked on a bit more for it)

    And it's largely irrelevant what I want to do with it during the game, the fact is that I'm their customer, and if it would make me happy, then it would be good customer service to provide that service for me (along with the many others that feel the same - obviously not for just one person), if it can be done at a reasonable cost (and I know it could be whatever you say). However, for your information, I would not be tweeting, but I would like to be able to read tweets of some sports people that I follow (during breaks in the action) - it adds to my enjoyment of the experience. Just like I don't post on PD a whole lot but I've been reading it for years and years because it adds to my enjoyment. In fact, I'd love to be able to follow the game thread on PD from BLF during the game...

  7. #155
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Direct link bandwidth != wifi over the air bandwidth, especially with the overhead.

    That said, there ARE ways to zone reception to have multiple wireless receivers and split the bandwidth. The spacing is a Black Art, as you need to optimize coverage while minimizing overlap (overlap would mean multiple routers are trying to handle the same client, wasting resources). It can and has been done.

    If the wifi was only allowed for Season Ticket Holders, that in and of itself would reduce the actual number of users significantly. If I remember correctly, unless/until a connection is established there is no overhead on the receiver - i.e. just broadcasting the ssid isn't affected by the number of clients - and, if needed, the ssid broadcast could be silenced so only STHs know what to go look for.

    As I've said multiple times, I use my cell for in-game stats that simply aren't available from the public scoreboard (and the ones that ARE available are never shown when I want to see them). Even if it is a local network only (no external internet access) with a web page allowing access to advanced statistics on demand it would be a HUGE amenity.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  8. #156
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,340

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    STH only wifi would last exactly the amount of time it would take for some yahoo to give his non STH buddy the code and SSID.

    So maybe 60 seconds.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  9. #157
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    STH only wifi would last exactly the amount of time it would take for some yahoo to give his non STH buddy the code and SSID.

    So maybe 60 seconds.
    Understood. For full STHs, there's a bit more proprietary treatment of goodies like that, though it will leak. A solution is to change things from time to time, use a post-connection login (that can be restricted to number of logins from the same user), or any number of other schemes that are pretty successfully used in the hospitality business and other areas.

    The point being that there are ways to provide decent (not fiber speeds) bandwidth and services - for example, I'd LOVE to be able to order club level food from a web page instead of having to get the attention of the serving person.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  11. #158
    MVP kielbeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    INDIANA
    Posts
    873

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Wouldn't it make sense for them to host a domain locally that was an "in house" homepage of sorts that requires no internet.
    Then they could just host a stat tracker. This way you arent wasting your bandwith so Billy can upload a video of his buddy doing tequila shots via his nose?
    Intranet? I guess is the term.
    Last edited by kielbeze; 08-20-2012 at 04:29 PM.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kielbeze For This Useful Post:


  13. #159
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by kielbeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wouldn't it make sense for them to host a domain locally that was an "in house" homepage of sorts that requires no internet.
    Then they could just host a stat tracker. This way you arent wasting your bandwith so Billy can upload a video of his buddy doing tequila shots via his nose?
    Intranet? I guess is the term.
    That or just throttle bandwidth for individual sessions (or use QoS to prioritize things like Twitter that are pretty bandwidth-friendly) so Billy takes forever without really impacting everyone else.

    The intranet would be a good way to be able to experiment with speeds/demand/access without giving people something that takes over as the route for their cellular apps and causes them to get frustrated.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  14. #160
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do they have to use HDMI cables?
    Exactly. First you can dump an HD feed down a coax with a modulator (which I do at home using the installed cable lines) or you could just local ATSC broadcast or fiber runs. Getting the data to the TV is nothing, and the TVs at a bulk purchase would have to run maybe $100 I'd bet. 32" generic HD flats nowadays?


    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm impressed!

    They also said 330 new HDTVs (sizes ranging from 32" to 70") throughout the Fieldhouse as well.
    WooHoo.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 08-20-2012 at 08:31 PM.

  15. #161
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a question. How does this development impact the Chicken Little Las Vegas Pacers argument?
    It enhances it. Because, see, that giant board is going to scare the s*** out of the players and they will storm into Simon's office and demand to be moved to another city, preferably with an outdoor court that's protected some netting.

    Although joking aside, I didn't think it seemed in Simon's style to ever think of moving the team but I did think that a dire financial situation could force a choice he hated to make. So I kinda could buy into it and this move definitely comes as a shock to me in that regard.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  17. #162
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Direct link bandwidth != wifi over the air bandwidth, especially with the overhead.

    That said, there ARE ways to zone reception to have multiple wireless receivers and split the bandwidth. The spacing is a Black Art, as you need to optimize coverage while minimizing overlap (overlap would mean multiple routers are trying to handle the same client, wasting resources). It can and has been done.

    If the wifi was only allowed for Season Ticket Holders, that in and of itself would reduce the actual number of users significantly. If I remember correctly, unless/until a connection is established there is no overhead on the receiver - i.e. just broadcasting the ssid isn't affected by the number of clients - and, if needed, the ssid broadcast could be silenced so only STHs know what to go look for.

    As I've said multiple times, I use my cell for in-game stats that simply aren't available from the public scoreboard (and the ones that ARE available are never shown when I want to see them). Even if it is a local network only (no external internet access) with a web page allowing access to advanced statistics on demand it would be a HUGE amenity.
    Digital certificates solve this. Each game a certificate must be downloaded via cellular network, give a password. This password changed each game.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 08-21-2012 at 09:50 AM.

  18. #163
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Digital certificates solve this. Each game a certificate must be downloaded via cellular network, give a password. This password changed each game.
    A new password every game isn't practical, makes it a pain for STHs rather than a bonus. At some point you take a little bit of leak in exchange for convenience.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  20. #164
    Member huber14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A new password every game isn't practical, makes it a pain for STHs rather than a bonus. At some point you take a little bit of leak in exchange for convenience.
    Why not just make everyone sign in with their season ticket account username and password? I can't see many people giving that out to friends and family.
    Last edited by huber14; 08-21-2012 at 03:14 PM.

  21. #165
    Member huber14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Looks like it's the second biggest now. Still the biggest in the NBA though.

    http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=630531

  22. #166
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A new password every game isn't practical, makes it a pain for STHs rather than a bonus. At some point you take a little bit of leak in exchange for convenience.
    OK so do you want STH wifi or do you not? LOL No offense Bill but this is a little picky

    "I want a season ticket holder wifi!"

    "Done just enter the password supplied to you before every game"

    "Well screw that, I don't want it now"

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  23. #167
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK so do you want STH wifi or do you not? LOL No offense Bill but this is a little picky

    "I want a season ticket holder wifi!"

    "Done just enter the password supplied to you before every game"

    "Well screw that, I don't want it now"
    I am a networking guy who does support, so I am putting on my "tech savvy enough to be dangerous customer" hat right now:

    OK, so how is the password supplied? Via email? Via text? Do I need to be able to check (say) my home email from work? Who do I contact at the game for tech assistance? If I have to do a new password every game and I have trouble getting my password changed every game, who do I complain to?

    These are logistical issues that will definitely cause someone not to get their password before a given game and will cause something that should be a satisfier to become a dissatisfier, which negates the whole purpose of it. That's why you need a convenience issue - it isn't a firewall, for goodness sakes, it is to keep access to STHs. Leaks will happen, it doesn't mean you need to lock them down so there is NEVER a leak, you just clean it up every so often.

    Me? I could deal with new game/new password. But the guy up the aisle from me probably can't.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  25. #168
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,960

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?



    Back in my day, there was no such thing as internet at the Fieldhouse. We sat in our seats and we watched the game. When the game wasn't playing we watched the Pacemates, even when they were standing around doing nothing. And when they caught us staring at them, we just pretended to be watching Mel Daniels, damn it.

    If we wanted to know the score of another game, we checked the away boards. They usually got changed once every half hour or so. And sure, sometimes it was wrong. Like the last game of the season where we needed Milwaukee to lose to make the playoffs, but they were killing Detroit. Except they had the score backwards, and Milwaukee was actually getting their butts kicked. And then they fixed it, but nobody knew if that was the right score or the mixup. Man, fun times!

    And if you wanted to know the stats, you checked the stat board. Sure, it only showed the players actually in the game, but IT WAS BETTER THAN WHAT WAS AT MSA, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, SO WE KEPT OUR MOUTHS SHUT!



    (Did I mention there was no STH discount? Cause they're wasn't.)
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  27. #169
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Back in my day, there was no such thing as internet at the Fieldhouse. We sat in our seats and we watched the game. When the game wasn't playing we watched the Pacemates, even when they were standing around doing nothing. And when they caught us staring at them, we just pretended to be watching Mel Daniels, damn it.

    If we wanted to know the score of another game, we checked the away boards. They usually got changed once every half hour or so. And sure, sometimes it was wrong. Like the last game of the season where we needed Milwaukee to lose to make the playoffs, but they were killing Detroit. Except they had the score backwards, and Milwaukee was actually getting their butts kicked. And then they fixed it, but nobody knew if that was the right score or the mixup. Man, fun times!

    And if you wanted to know the stats, you checked the stat board. Sure, it only showed the players actually in the game, but IT WAS BETTER THAN WHAT WAS AT MSA, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE, SO WE KEPT OUR MOUTHS SHUT!



    (Did I mention there was no STH discount? Cause they're wasn't.)
    Here's what Kegboy forgot to include in his post...Before you fix things that aren't broke maybe they'd like to fix the automatic flushers that don't automatically flush!

  28. #170
    MVP kielbeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    INDIANA
    Posts
    873

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?


  29. #171
    MVP kielbeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    INDIANA
    Posts
    873

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    that was in reguards to this
    Looks like it's the second biggest now. Still the biggest in the NBA though.
    edit function is not working lol

  30. #172
    Member CoolHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    303
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :

    Back in my day, there was no such thing as ....

    Hilarious man...

  31. #173
    Member CoolHand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    303
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Here's a nice read on the technical challenges of cellular/wi-fi and what some arenas are doing...

    http://arstechnica.com/features/2012...teams-stadium/

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoolHand For This Useful Post:


  33. #174
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a nice read on the technical challenges of cellular/wi-fi and what some arenas are doing...

    http://arstechnica.com/features/2012...teams-stadium/
    Thanks a million... That actually answered a lot of questions I had about that and The Fieldhouse in particular. Probably the worst experience I had with this wasn't at the Fieldhouse but in the arena at OKC 4 seasons ago. Couldn't get my phone or the wife's to work nor could Duke Dynamite, but as soon as the game was over.... Everything was fine. The next year when I went back to OKC... It was more like the Fieldhouse where the phone worked but Wifi was iffy.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  34. #175
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,525
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

    Did you guys know that 3 years ago you could get free wifi at Conseco. I use to connect with my iPhone (no data plan) just about every game, then the next season I couldn't connect at all.

    I asked why they were now blocking wifi, I was told that I should have never been able to connect in the first place. I guess they had some incompetent IT guys running things.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Similar Threads

  1. Coach Shaw: Keep On Working (video at link)
    By Kemo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 03:55 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 03:26 AM
  4. NBATV Pacers at draftday video link
    By Mourning in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-26-2005, 06:22 PM
  5. Anybody got a link for a Video
    By Destined4Greatness in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •