Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm? {New Video link Post: 207}

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Big announcement tomorrow @ 2pm?

Wow! That is a crazy big screen - free throw line to free throw line? Wow! Do any other NBA arenas have one like that?

That by itself is a major upgrade, but the new screens throughout the Fieldhouse and an upgraded sound system? Sweeeeeet! I'm glad I finally got to catch a game there while I was in town last month (Fever vs. Sparks) so I can compare when I come back. I did notice those crappy little screens.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That scoreboard is something else! I really need to get to BLF to see a game.
    Yeah, I'm thinking that is the motivation behind this. Another reason to get folks out of their "man caves" and down to the Fieldhouse! I'm sure it isn't a bad way to draw more coin from their corporate sponsors who wouldn't want to see their ads and logos on that mammoth screen!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

quite sure Simons paid about 87 mio on the build, some of that was not initial payment but loans they repaid
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    quite sure Simons paid about 87 mio on the build, some of that was not initial payment but loans they repaid
    Thanks. I'm only going off the numbers being reported here. $87 million would be QUITE substantial.

I honestly can't find much of anything that says one way or the other for certainty.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Don't forget another nice upgrade they made that will be overlooked, the sides of the fieldhouse, where the oldschool scoreboards were for stats, there is now going to be a nice new video screen on each side

Overall its going to be amazing. This is as big as when Dallas implemented their huge screen when they built their new stadium. It's a game changer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

From the Marquette National Sports Law Institute
    https://law.marquette.edu/assets/spo...2-nba-2011.pdf

Team: Indiana Pacers
    Principal Owner: Melvin and Herbert Simon
    Year Established: Joined the NBA from the American Basketball Association in 1976
    Most Recent Purchase Price ($/Mil): $13 (1983)
    Current Value ($/Mil): $269
    Percent Change From Last Year: -4%
    Arena: Conseco Fieldhouse
    Date Built: 1999
    Facility Cost ($/Mil): $183
    Percentage of Arena Publicly Financed: 43%
    © Copyright 2011, National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School Page 11
    Facility Financing: Financing for the facility is a public/private partnership. Public contributions totaled $79 million, which included $50 million from a professional sports developmental tax district around the new facility, $4.7 million in infrastructure, $9.3 million from Capital Improvement Board cash reserves and $7 million from the Circle Centre Mall revenues. The Pacers contributed $57 million, while other private sources paid for the rest.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking that is the motivation behind this. Another reason to get folks out of their "man caves" and down to the Fieldhouse! I'm sure it isn't a bad way to draw more coin from their corporate sponsors who wouldn't want to see their ads and logos on that mammoth screen!
    Yeah its definitely a great way to draw in fans. People will want to see the screen. Sponsors will looks great on that mammoth too. How much are plane tickets from Sacramento to Indiana? Looks like I better start saving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    From the Marquette National Sports Law Institute
    https://law.marquette.edu/assets/spo...2-nba-2011.pdf

Team: Indiana Pacers
    Principal Owner: Melvin and Herbert Simon
    Year Established: Joined the NBA from the American Basketball Association in 1976
    Most Recent Purchase Price ($/Mil): $13 (1983)
    Current Value ($/Mil): $269
    Percent Change From Last Year: -4%
    Arena: Conseco Fieldhouse
    Date Built: 1999
    Facility Cost ($/Mil): $183
    Percentage of Arena Publicly Financed: 43%
    © Copyright 2011, National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School Page 11
    Facility Financing: Financing for the facility is a public/private partnership. Public contributions totaled $79 million, which included $50 million from a professional sports developmental tax district around the new facility, $4.7 million in infrastructure, $9.3 million from Capital Improvement Board cash reserves and $7 million from the Circle Centre Mall revenues. The Pacers contributed $57 million, while other private sources paid for the rest.
    So what we know from this is 136 million of the stadium was accounted for publicly + from the Pacers.

If the Simons contributed at least 23 million of the "other private sources paid for the rest" using personal finances or money from Simon Malls. Then that would put their contribution at $80million (private, personal Simon money +Pacers Simon money), but I think it's safe to assume that they may have accounted for even more than that since about $47 million is unaccounted for here. Either way I think it's safe to say they paid significantly more proportionately than what Irsay did for Lucas Oil.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Awesome. Just awesome. Cant wait to watch a game! Cmon season start already!

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

There already was not a bad seat in my opinion in that entire building, but with that beast hovering over the court you can literally sit anywhere and feel like you're right down at courtside.

More than anything, Simon paying $16M for a scoreboard in BLF eases any temporary fears I've had about professional basketball staying in Indianapolis. That's not the kind of investment one makes for a team that could leave soon. It's fantastic!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    More than anything, Simon paying $16M for a scoreboard in BLF eases any temporary fears I've had about professional basketball staying in Indianapolis. That's not the kind of investment one makes for a team that could leave soon. It's fantastic!
    Perhaps, but BLF is a multi-purpose facility.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I just sat on the 1st base side a few times and all the moving around over there is bothersome. I am the type who never leaves his seat after the game starts and am glued 2 the action. But I don't like all the music they play during games and what not. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I like to listen to nothing while the game is on and like an atmosphere that is all baseball and just focused on baseball. Like I said I'm probablly in the minority. I don't boycott GABP or anything in fact will prolly go up for the double header Saturday I just prefer old style baseball BOB Sheapard was prolly the reason I liked going to the old Yankee Stadium so much true legend who was a baseball purest.
    Can't argue about the noise, but that goes on at just about every ballpark I would imagine. The whole movement thing is understandable, but it is a family atmosphere. Most kids can hardly sit for 2 to 3 hours of baseball. If you sat on the 1st base side, then all of the movement as far as activities are concerned should've been behind you
    Last edited by HC; 08-16-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed -MM

I think the actual court area can get more modern and the staidum itself can still retain the retro feel, having the exposed concrete and stuff like that keeps it always feeling a little retro.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but I always kind of liked the retro clock and neon lighting on the old scoreboard, the rest of it not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I like the score, Bulls 102 Pacers 120 to start the 4th!
    Lol...nice catch! I like the 120 points in three quarters, but where's the defense?!!

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I like the score, Bulls 102 Pacers 120 to start the 4th!
    Apparently they're starting 4th quarters with jump balls too.

I love it! So happy right now. I feel like they actually listened to my feedback on the multiple surveys I've filled out for them. I always said that we needed a way display the game better for the fans in the seats. Happy that well have a live video feed on the big screen, stats, replays. Freaking awesome. Guess thats why we didn't go after Eric Gordon.....
    Last edited by graphic-er; 08-16-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
    As cool as the scoreboard is, the coolest part of that picture remains the Gold Swagger shirts.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

RLeWorm

i love it! Just makes the best stadium even better. I've read that some ppl like the old shot clock..um are u crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    Perhaps, but BLF is a multi-purpose facility.
    Simon didn't pay $16M so the Fever and Justin Bieber could use it.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RLeWorm View Post
    i love it! Just makes the best stadium even better. I've read that some ppl like the old shot clock..um are u crazy?
    The only thing I'll miss will be the old manual scoreboards/around the league stuff in the upper deck on both baselines. Those were pretty cool.

According to Grady, Herb wrote the check for all these improvements personally. That is damn impressive. Sorry but to me it is not even a competition between him and Irsay. Herb not only says he cares about his team and this city but he also shows it by not being afraid to open his pocket book.

Yeah, he paid for it out of his pocket book which was made fatter two summers ago when the city gave him the 33.5 million dollar handout. We as taxpayers are the ones who paid for this, not Simon. The check may have his name on it, but the funds came from us.

Simon and Irsay are one in the same. They both take advantage of any taxpayer subsidy that Indy is willing to handout to them. They are fortunate to be owners in Indy as there is no limit to how much Indy will shell out when it comes to sports and propping up it's downtown. Downtown Indy is one massive taxpayer subsidy.

According to the link UB posted, the Simons paid a whopping 23 million of the 181 million total that it cost to build Conseco. They also got the 33.5 million dollar handout two years ago. Granted, that is a larger percentage than the 50 million that Irsay put up for a 750 million dollar stadium, but it's still pretty small. Irsay got one of the best deals in sports history, but the NFL and the Colts are much more important to Indy than the Pacers and Conseco. Lucas at least brings Super Bowls and Final Fours.

http://www.ibj.com/fieldhouse-gettin.../article/36145

According to the above link, only 6 million has been invested in upgrading Conseco since the building opened. So I guess the 16 million dollar scoreboard brings it up to 22 million.

Two summers ago, we were led to believe that the team was bleeding serious money. Was demanding that 33.5 million dollars merely a way to get the taxpayers to fund the upgrades to the stadium which bring in more revenue for the team with advertisements?

I don't see how you can say that Simon cares more about Indy than Irsay. Yeah Irsay got a gravy deal, but so has Simon. What has Irsay done to show that he doesn't care about the fans or community? Irsay is always willing to put as much money into the team as possible. Our salaries over the past decade have been insane. Irsay also gives a lot to charity.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    I hope you are not serious, whilst cellular may be easy, telcos have put it upon themselves that if you have a hotel or arena, the dont put any antennae around so you will spend the money on local cells. Fat chance, company that pays for the cell can not make any money on it and the telco does, weird thought.
    WiFi: whilst covering the area is not that hard (i guess I could put a network plan/design forward after a serious inspection) but you have to realise that 17k ppl on average want to access the net at the same time, because if your phone is properly setup it will pick up the wifi and use that instead of 3G or any other connection form.
    But even @ 10k ppl using on avg 24Kbps (little bitty) you are still talking Gb pipes to carry that, the cost of that is astronomical and no, nobody would be happy if it was slow as molasses and you could rarely connect, think about the dns setup, the dhcp setup, wow, easy ? yeah on paper, in reality, COSTLY
    I think even 10k people at one time is a large overestimation. That would be over half the people there using it at once. There may be spikes of that many people (jumping on twitter after some huge play or something), but on average, I would say it would be much lower..
    I didn't say it could be fixed cheaply, but, yes, easily (for a large organization). There is plenty of bandwidth in downtown Indy within blocks of BLF. I imagine $10,000/month or so would cover the additional bandwidth, which really shouldn't be all that much for the Pacers organization, especially with the additional customer satisfaction (and therefore additional revenue) that it could bring. I wasn't the only comment on it here wanting it to be better, so there obviously IS a demand...

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Wowza yowza!!!!! Even the balcony will have a spectacular experience now!

If they actually could somehow integrate the live audio feed from the radio or TV broadcasts, the experience would be absolutely perfect in just about every conceivable way.

Regardless, Simon will be richly rewarded for this upgrade, and I would expect virtually every NBA arena will upgrade to this in the very near future.

Well done good sirs, well done indeed!!!!!!!