Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Indystar.com to charge $12 per month for online access starting September 1st.

Default Re: Indystar.com to charge $12 per month for online access starting September 1st.

I hesitate to post this, but I'll do it anyway.

OK, so I decided just to go ahead and sign up for the online access. It has been probably 3 weeks and I certainly have gone well over my free limit, but they have not charged me yet. So I wonder what they are doing.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indystar.com to charge $12 per month for online access starting September 1st.

I'm willing to bet that the amount of people who are paying the $12 a month doesn't justify the amount lost in advertising fees due to the lost page views.

I used to visit the IndyStar website multiple times per day. But I can get the same news from other sites. For free. I miss their opinion pieces and the sports blogs but not enough to justify something with such easily replaceable content. Especially when it costs 50% more than my Netflix account with 1000% less content.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Its been awhile since I tried seeing pacers and colts stuff but i was always able to reqd anything about the hoosiers. So something is amiss

Mood

It's pretty easy to get around the limit, so I still read what I want, which is usually just Pacers stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's pretty easy to get around the limit, so I still read what I want, which is usually just Pacers stuff.
    Exactly. My browser clears all cookies when I exit it and I have no issue reading as many articles as I want. I'm sure if you just delete the indystar.com cookie you can avoid having to waste $144 a year.

Just ask Kodak Gallery how charging for online storage worked out for them? Oh, that's right, they are now out of business.

They did that in 2009 after they reached their highest peak in popularity. They never recovered and went out of business. Indy Star, learn from the past!

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=kodak%20gallery
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

The local news is the best news available. It may be the best source for unbiased reporting. I may consider buying it and I think at some point I might do that. Still, it all depends on if I have time to read the news. I would prefer buying 24 hours of access on demand for $1. Not sure that's available. There are some weeks where I just don't have time to read it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I hesitate to post this, but I'll do it anyway.

OK, so I decided just to go ahead and sign up for the online access. It has been probably 3 weeks and I certainly have gone well over my free limit, but they have not charged me yet. So I wonder what they are doing.
    My guess is that they aren't getting many takers on their $12 per month robbery, so they are behind the scenes scrambling about what they should do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I live in Crawfordsville. We've been blessed with not just one but two local papers for the last 8ish years. This is a community of about 15k people, on a good day.

Gannet just bought the Journal Review, which has been around since at least the 1890s. They aren't just buying up the major metro papers, they're buying the mom and pop's. And they're destroying local jobs in the process.

Eat a gigantic dick Gannet. I'm giving out subscriptions to The Paper of Montgomery County for Christmas this year.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

I just go to WTHR now and get most of the same info.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I live in Crawfordsville. We've been blessed with not just one but two local papers for the last 8ish years. This is a community of about 15k people, on a good day.

Gannet just bought the Journal Review, which has been around since at least the 1890s. They aren't just buying up the major metro papers, they're buying the mom and pop's. And they're destroying local jobs in the process.

Eat a gigantic dick Gannet. I'm giving out subscriptions to The Paper of Montgomery County for Christmas this year.
    That sucks about the JR - I hadn't heard it. My mother is a former contributor to it (and a current contributor to the Paper).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One thing I've noticed, however my employer has their network configured gets around the limit as well. Every single time I read an article from work the little flag pops up saying I have 20 free articles remaining. I can read one, have the message pop up, follow a link at the bottom of that very article and it will pop up on that one saying 20 again.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    One thing I've noticed, however my employer has their network configured gets around the limit as well. Every single time I read an article from work the little flag pops up saying I have 20 free articles remaining. I can read one, have the message pop up, follow a link at the bottom of that very article and it will pop up on that one saying 20 again.
    Your browser is probably configured to dump cookies at the end of a browsing session.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca