Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indystar.com to charge $12 per month for online access starting September 1st.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indystar.com to charge $12 per month for online access starting September 1st.

Noooope. The free allotment will work just fine. I generally learn more about what Pacers players have said from other newspapers anyway. For example, when JOB was fired, a lot of the most interesting comments from our players were published somewhere other than The Star first.

Besides which, $12/mo is too much for the depth and breadth of coverage the Indy Star provides.
    Last edited by gummy; 08-15-2012 at 02:03 AM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Default Re: Indystar.com to charge $12 per month for online access starting September 1st.

To put this into perspective, the New York Times, which has a hundred times more daily content than the Star, is $15 a month for an online subscription and smart phone access. The Star just does not have enough quality content to justify this price tag. I'm amazed that they would try this without a six month trial at something like $5 a month so people could decide whether they want to stick with it or not.

I am disappointed that I'll read less of Mike Wells, who I really like. Bob Kravitz is lame and boring and wastes an amazing opportunity, so I'm glad that he'll disappear behind the pay wall.

I love their mobile app.

At least they have a good one. The AJC certainly can't say that.

But I'm not paying $12. Goodbye mobile app.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

This reminds me of when Kodak Gallery was #1 just a few years ago for photo books, prints, etc. Then they thought they were smart and charge for storage. Only took a couple of months before business to go downhill and for Snapfish and Shutterfly to leapfrog them. Now Kodak Gallery is out of business, bought out by Shutterfly.

May not be all that related, but this is what happens, when people feel like they shouldn't have to pay for something. You don't give something for free, and then all the sudden decide to charge for it. I'm sure they make a good amount from all the advertising on their site. Banners ads are not exactly cheap.

Now, $5/mo...that's possible. $12...that's a quick no.

My first thought was Netflix is 7.99 for unlimited streaming movies a month, I can't imagine wanting to pay 12 dollars to see Star articles that still have ads.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Bye, bye Indy Star from a long-time reader. I can accept moving to pay for on-line access, but like others here, I find $12/month utterly exorbitant. Maybe roughly half that fee would be justified.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

May not be all that related, but this is what happens, when people feel like they shouldn't have to pay for something. You don't give something for free, and then all the sudden decide to charge for it. I'm sure they make a good amount from all the advertising on their site. Banners ads are not exactly cheap.

Now, $5/mo...that's possible. $12...that's a quick no.
    Thats exactly what I proposed to the Editor last month. I told them they need to offer a $6-$8 per month digital only subscription. Even if they needed a one year commitment to get that price discount, that would be acceptable. His retort was that at $12 a month its less than a cup of coffee per day. Good lord. Sucks because I actually enjoy logging on to the star every morning when I get into the office. You will get like so many free viewings a month before the pay wall stops you. Thus the continued use of Ads.

The fact is they have a large printing facility on the northwest side, and most likely the $12 digital rate is subsidizing that operation. Cause they can't justify letting it go.

I don't mind paying for content if the content is good, but for $12 that **** better be NY Times good, and I just don't think The Star is capable of that level of service and content.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    For comparison, my city paper has limited content on their website, but offers mobile app access to their full print edition (including ability to search, bookmark, print articles/coupons etc.) for $1/month.

$12/month is outrageous.
    Not knowing where you are from, I have to ask this. What is your local paper, and do you have any idea of their circulation?

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    His retort was that at $12 a month its less than a cup of coffee per day.
    I don't know why every person who works for a newspaper decided that this is a valid defense. It's less than a cup of coffee because you put ads all over the paper and website and you're making money from my eyes looking at those ads. My basic cable TV costs about a dollar a day, because they play ten minutes of ads every half hour. This is no different, so please stop acting like you're not making money from advertising.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There will be absolutley NOTHING the Star will offer for that $12 that isn't available for free from other outlets. Do you want Pacers and Colts coverage? You find better writers on THIS board. Do you want local news coverage? The websites of the local news stations have you covered. Restaurant reviews? Urbanspoon is your friend. Entertainment and Nightlife? NUVO has everything you'd ever need for that.

When you compare to similar products, The Wall Street Journal is $4.99 per week and is ten times better. The New York Times is only $3 more per month and you are likely to find MORE coverage for your local teams in it than you are the Star. They need to stop using that "less than a cup of coffee" line. My retort to that is that I expect to ENJOY my coffee.

Oh well, just like any other business trotting out a dying business model in a changed world, they are about to find out just how valuable their product is.

Gnome, I'm sorry to hear that your livelihood is tied to the Star. You might want to start looking. Even though your involved with the print edition, I'd have to believe that they are trying to charge the outrageous $12 for digital in an effort to prop up the print side of the business. I could be wrong about that, but if it were me I wouldn't feel comfortable.
    Last edited by travmil; 08-15-2012 at 08:59 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    I barely read it free as it is now, no chance in hell I pay for it.
    Yep. Other than reading Wells' articles, I typically don't read it at all. So I guess this hurts if it means I can't see his stuff anymore, but then again odds are someone with access is likely to share it on a forum anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wow, really? I hate to say it but it feels like the Star's days are numbered. At least a lot of staff members days anyway. It's a bummer what the internet's done to the hard journalism industry. Blogs are great, and there's a number that do really good investigative journalism, but it feels like we're heading towards a news world that's nothing but opinion based. I don't read papers for the editorials and opinion pieces, I read them for actual reporting.
    Ultimately I think written professional journalism is going to live or die based on how effectively they can integrate sponsors and advertisements directly into their content in ways that can't be easily ignored/filtered.

Maybe that's putting a sponsor into their title (like how sports arenas do), and it's definitely putting ads in their articles through methods that don't allow for simple adblocking. Maybe that means linking to PDF files for content instead of script-generated webpages, maybe it's using something like flash to display the article/ads together, probably that means making their content only accessible via an app on mobile devices and tablets instead of the web browsers. Things like that.

I still think there's a place for professional reporters, but things will have to evolve.

I think in the next 10 years or so they need to just stop printing it on paper as another generation passes away that would never adopt digital. Just make it all electronic to streamline things.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Thank you for making us part of your life. We will continue to work hard to earn your trust and your business.
    Contact Karen Crotchfelt, president and publisher
    Top ten unfortunate names for a woman there.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I love their mobile app.

At least they have a good one. The AJC certainly can't say that.

But I'm not paying $12. Goodbye mobile app.
    I wonder if they'd get more money by releasing a new app every year (branded the 2012, 2013 edition and so on) for a lump sum fee to download it (like maybe $30-50). Not many would do it, but at least that way it's cheaper than $12/mo and you only have to pay once and get everything on the app for the year.

Am sorry to see Indystar headed this way. Will hold off on deleting it from my favorites list
    or getting rid of the mobile app (for now), but do not see subscribing any time soon.
    Last edited by RamBo_Lamar; 08-15-2012 at 12:49 PM.

The Star was dead when the Pulliam's sold.

You're talking about Gannett here, and when we're talking about Gannett, my loyalties get thrown out the window.

http://www.nuvo.net/NewsBlog/archive...gracia-martore

An open letter to Gannett CEO Gracia Martore:

You probably don't remember me; I was one of 62 employees who were laid off at The Indianapolis Star last June. Of course, 700 other employees across the country also were let go around the same time, so I forgive you for not being able to put a face to a name.

I wish I could say I was shocked when I heard you had asked many of the remaining employees to take yet another one-week unpaid furlough less than two months after your predecessor, Craig Dubow, walked away with a $37 million retirement package. But then again, this is Gannett we're talking about.

It's not like Craig didn't deserve that money, just like he deserved the more than $16 million he made in salary and bonuses the previous two years, as thousands of employees were let go or forced to take unpaid time off; he did some special things during his tenure as Gannett's fearless leader. Look at the stock price, which went from about $10 a share to more than $75. Oh, wait a second, that's backward Gannett stock actually dropped by $65 a share. Just the same, not many CEOs can say they managed to do that.

I felt for Craig as he left the company. Physical ailments are tough, just ask the pressroom guys or the reporters who can't afford their health insurance premiums after you cut Star newsroom employees' salaries by 10 percent a few years ago. I don't think the cause of his back pain was ever made public, but I'm guessing it had something to do with that enormous golden parachute weighing him down and not the crushing guilt that he was raking in so much cash at the expense of hard-working employees across the company.

I apologize for any glaring mistakes; it's 3 a.m. as I write this and like any good journalist, I'm nothing without a great copy editor. Of course, the current reporters are going to be finding that out soon enough, after you outsource the copy desk jobs to a hub in Kentucky. But why stop there? Why not ship the jobs to India or China or somewhere they don't even speak English at all? After all, it's not like a copy editor based in Louisville is going to automatically catch when, let's say, Pennsylvania Street is mistakenly referred to as Pennsylvania Avenue. That might embarrass the old guard Pennsylvania is the street the Star is located on, in case you're wondering but I don't think you or the rest of the executive crew at Gannett's headquarters in McLean, Va., are capable of shame.

I'm proud of the decade I spent working at the Star. I was never going to win a Pulitzer, but I was dedicated, hard-working and genuinely loved my job ... mostly. I used to tell friends and co-workers I loved being a Star reporter, but hated working for Gannett. Everyone knew what I was talking about. You've taken a once-respected, but still extremely profitable, newspaper and wrung every last cent you can from its withered husk.

The media landscape is constantly changing, but you and the others at Gannett HQ seem content to remain on a sinking ship, looting the fine silver and tossing random crewmembers overboard. I would consider you and the rest of Gannett's leadership (term used loosely and with a bit of a smirk) common whores, setting aside any concept of morality and ethics for money, but that's an affront to prostitutes everywhere. At least when one of their clients gets screwed, he's walking away with a smile on his face. Parasite might be more appropriate, as company executives continue to suck workers dry.

But it's no longer my problem. I've moved on bitter, late-night screeds not withstanding to new challenges, with my head held high. I don't think you or Craig can say that.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Nobody is going to pay that. I only read the star for local sports coverage. IU, Pacers, Colts and what not. But I just go without, the coverage isn't that important. Insidethehall and Hoosierscoop can fill the gap on any real news anyway for IU. And SI and the other major sites will have enough of the Colts and Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    The Star was dead when the Pulliam's sold.

You're talking about Gannett here, and when we're talking about Gannett, my loyalties get thrown out the window.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    My first thought was Netflix is 7.99 for unlimited streaming movies a month, I can't imagine wanting to pay 12 dollars to see Star articles that still have ads.
    Netflix is also streaming old content that already made its money either through airing on TV a year earlier or movies that were released in theaters a year earlier. That is old content where everything they make off of allowing Netflix to stream it is just icing on the cake.

The Star is creating original content that hasn't already made the rounds. It isn't a fair comparison at all. If you look at any provider who is providing new original content it is going to start around $12 a month.

If you look at the Star's monthly subscription it is about $20. Really very little of that is actually going towards the physical medium, most of it goes to the business men and women and the content creators.

The truth is they probably can't go cheaper than $12 and stay in business as they are. It is much easier to charge less when you are only a service, and not the content creators like Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Ultimately I think written professional journalism is going to live or die based on how effectively they can integrate sponsors and advertisements directly into their content in ways that can't be easily ignored/filtered.

Maybe that's putting a sponsor into their title (like how sports arenas do), and it's definitely putting ads in their articles through methods that don't allow for simple adblocking. Maybe that means linking to PDF files for content instead of script-generated webpages, maybe it's using something like flash to display the article/ads together, probably that means making their content only accessible via an app on mobile devices and tablets instead of the web browsers. Things like that.

I still think there's a place for professional reporters, but things will have to evolve.

I think in the next 10 years or so they need to just stop printing it on paper as another generation passes away that would never adopt digital. Just make it all electronic to streamline things.
    Actually I find that highly unlikely, and in fact I find from my own personal experience, this is not scientific at all, that the majority of people who use AdBlocking software are over the age of 40. The younger generation just doesn't care and ignores the adds, or realizes those adds are there for a reason and actually welcome them if it means they get the content for free.

I just couldn't justify paying $12 a month, when you can pretty much find the information elsewhere if you have time to look around a bit.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Like him or not, I suspect Kravitz is one of the most, if not the most valuable reporters the Star has in retaining readers. Almost 100% of his columns wind up at #1 on the Star's 'Most Popular' columns chart.

Financially he'd be as great of a loss the Star can have, in terms of writers.
    Please. He's not a reporter, he's a columnist. When a newspaper only has one sports columnist, he'll be the most popular read, without question. Add in it's the only newspaper in town, moreso.

I wonder how much it cost the Star to send Kravitz to the Olympics, so he could write about delayed television coverage. Forget even a contemporary writer, they could get both Miller and Benner back for half his salary. They'd easily get as many page views, and there's a chance people might actually be willing to pay money to read what they had to say.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo

Pacers Digest already sounds sort of like a newspaper, if any of you have a printing press.

I'm just saying. Maybe you guys could finally make a couple bucks off this place.

They're still allowing 20 free articles every 30 days. So we don't have to abandon the Star entirely. I'll just plan on rationing my Star visits.

I'll go to Pacers.com for game recaps. If the Star ever has any breaking news about the Pacers then I'll just find out some other way. It's not like the Star offers unique analysis in their Pacers stories.

I'll probably still read some of the Colts writers at the Star. But not all 3. I wonder if the Star will use view counts to "grade" their writers.

And I'll still read the IU basketball articles on the Star.

I'll just have to try and shoot for 5 articles or less per week. That seems do able.

I have not decided whether I am going to subscribe or not. I do read the Star and certainly more than just their Pacers coverage. I just wonder if they'll drop the price or at least offer a discount if you commit to 6 months or something like that