Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

  1. #26
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Danny, West, Hill or PG, whoever is open.


    Sent from #ColtsNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  2. #27
    Brian Mac_Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    University Heights
    Age
    28
    Posts
    569
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    My gut says Hill.

    I never go against my gut.


  3. #28
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,903

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I question that, I wouldn't want West to launch a 3 to tie.

    Doesn't that go without saying.

    to be more precise the question is all wrong to begin with. It goes without saying that we don't want any player to "take a bad shot" And what a bad shot is, is different for each player.

    The question should be who do we want to direct the play towards at the end of the game. In that case West IMO is best. if he gets doubled or cannot get the shot off he's one of our best passers and he'll make the correct play, he'll get us a good shot, whether he takes it or not.

    Doesn't it go without saying, I would rather get Hibbert a wide open dunk than to get Hill a contested 22 ft shot.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  5. #29

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    I agree with those saying we should draw up a play and get a good shot.

    But I'd personally try and get the ball in Hill's hands. He's likely going to be the best ball handler on the floor. (Unless PG improves tremendously in that area) So that's who I'd want to have the ball.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  7. #30
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,363
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    If you have time to run a play, I agree I'd run the play through West. He can pass out of the post to anywhere on the floor and also find a cutter. Plus, if he ends up taking it himself you can feel pretty confident in that too.

    But, the situation in the video from above where there is 0.9 seconds left and you're only gonna get a touch on the ball at most, Granger all the way.

  8. #31

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with those saying we should draw up a play and get a good shot.

    But I'd personally try and get the ball in Hill's hands. He's likely going to be the best ball handler on the floor. (Unless PG improves tremendously in that area) So that's who I'd want to have the ball.

    Agree on Hill. Out of everyone he's got the requisite confidence/swag/moxy that immediately puts him in the clutch conversation.

    But it's his ability to handle the ball, shoot of the dribble or on a kick out 3 that makes him the most versatile last second option for us. In other words, George Hill can get it done in a wider variety of ways than anyone on the roster.

  9. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    I trust West over Danny not because Danny is not a better shooter but because is easier to call a play for West than Danny, now if you tell me that the last second play calling is going to change and someway somehow the Pacers are able to get Danny open then I say Danny.

    I also remember some last second calls were West threw the ball away trying to make a last second play.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 08-14-2012 at 12:46 PM.

  10. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with those saying we should draw up a play and get a good shot.

    But I'd personally try and get the ball in Hill's hands. He's likely going to be the best ball handler on the floor. (Unless PG improves tremendously in that area) So that's who I'd want to have the ball.
    I also agree with Hill. He might get the shot or find an open man...... ...

  11. #34
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,296

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    DG, he nailed one against new York 2 season ago.
    Last edited by pacers74; 08-14-2012 at 02:14 PM.

  12. #35
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,635

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    If the question is "if you can get him the ball in an ISO to generate a score late" and we assume we are getting each person the ball in their spot, West on the mid-wing to blocks, Roy on low block, Danny, Hill and PG out at the arc, then I go with West then Hill then Danny.

    This is based purely on one on one scoring opportunity ability. West would draw a double but can split it, though in Houston last year he got a winner shot and missed a fade. Hill has a clutchness to his game and seems unrattled late most of the time.

    Danny doesn't have great handles but he has done it before. However some might remember when we tried to go back to the well vs the Knicks 2 years ago after he hit a game winner the previous week (or was that last year?) and he got stuffed the next game when they basically ran the same play.


    I'm not scared to see any of the starting 5 taking the last 2 pt shot, and frankly I feel comfortable with DJ or Green set up in an ISO too.

  13. #36
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,536

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    actually he was fouled by 'Melo. No biggie though.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  15. #37
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    The scenario:

    Granger has a game-high 26 points, most of which he's been scoring in the second half.

    5 seconds on the clock, down by 2.

    Paul George inbounds to Granger, who drives to mid-range to attract the double-team.

    PG gets open behind the three point line, Granger dishes out, PG hits the 3 as the buzzer sounds.

    Pacers win! Pacers win!!

    Besides that, I would like to think that Gerald Green (of all the players, I know he's the least likely) could beat his man off the dribble and hit a fading 3. Does he have ice in his veins? Maybe. Can he hit a high-pressure shot? Well...



    I'd like to think that this isn't just a glimmer of Green's greatness. He may (or may not) have the ability to hit these shots consistently. But really, we won't know until we see him on the court with the rest of the team.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  16. #38
    Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    320
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Danny Granger, he is the longest tenured Pacer on the roster, he has shown us that he can be clutch, and he is the best player on the team.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

  17. #39
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,108

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    I'm not really sure who I'd want. Is that a good or bad thing in terms of our personnel?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  18. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Quote Originally Posted by DangerGranger3pointranger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny Granger, he is the longest tenured Pacer on the roster, he has shown us that he can be clutch, and he is the best player on the team.
    So you let the oldest player on the team close? Granger is not the best player on the team any longer. Roy Hibbert is..... ...

  19. #41
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,604

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Pacers go to play at the end of games for an offensive bucket should be Augustin pick and roll with D-West. I think my lineup for late game buckets would be Augustin, Hill, Granger, West and Hibbert. Depending on PG's progression you could go Augustin, Hill, George, Granger, West <-That may end up being our best 7 seconds or less to get a shot lineup.

    As much as people saying Roy, it's just not realistic. Big men are rarely good late game options regardless of how good they are. The only reason you would even have me out there is if you were trying to maximize your chance at a tip in.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  20. #42

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you let the oldest player on the team close? Granger is not the best player on the team any longer. Roy Hibbert is..... ...
    Granger's not the oldest player on the team.

  21. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger's not the oldest player on the team.

    Longest tenured, I was being sarcastic........ ...

  22. #44
    Gotta Play Big
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,738

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Hill. I hope in 6 months we have a different answer. ...and I hope the three G's blow up this coming year.

    I really think this coming year will tell us a lot about this group. I'm thinking Paul especially, but Lance's development is extremely important as well. Gerald Green's contribution will be huge as well. We could have several players take a step forward. If Paul isn't one of them, it's going to be a long 10 years...

  23. #45
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,405

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Hill, followed closely by Granger.


    I don't quite get the trust in West. Yeah he has been clutch in the final 5 minutes in games, but I feel like in the closing seconds he tended to be anything but clutch last year.

  24. #46
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,899

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    actually he was fouled by 'Melo. No biggie though.
    Melo not only bumped him but he got him on the wrist AND with the body! If it were the other way around, Melo is shooting 2. Lol still haven't let it go

  25. #47
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,899

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    I'd want to fake a screen and roll with Hill and West. Then have West spot up at the elbow and either have Hill go one on one, have him pass to DG to get a shot off, or pass to West to simply shoot an elbow J. Hill and DG are by far out most clutch players IMO.

  26. #48

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    Here's the problem with plays.

    This play was noticed by a lot of coaches, several of which asked Geno to come teach them some of his "end of the game" plays. (Roy Williams, D'Antonie to name a few) One of the best things to do in basketball is to get the ball to the player who passes the ball in. Usually they'll get a good shot. And this was a fantastic out of bounds/last second play and shot.



    Except, it wasn't executed properly. That shot happened because Ann Strother and Maria Conlon (the blondes) were confused as to where they were supposed to be, and didn't execute their part of the play. Jessica Moore (the girl who the ball was originally passed into.) was smart enough to go get the ball and made an even smarter decision by giving the ball back to the best player on the floor. (Taurasi)

    The play was actually drawn up for Conlon.

    Plays in the clutch are rarely executed correctly. In fact, the PG isolation JOB ran so much, that drove us all crazy, I have a feeling he knew the percentage of times plays in the clutch worked out, and figured it would be better to just get a shot off.

    So that's why Hibbert and West aren't the best options. They need someone to set them up. West a little better at creating something than Hibbert, but not that much. You don't give the ball to Granger because he's not a good enough ball handler or decision maker. (Unless he's open.) And I'd say the same for the PG of last season (I don't know if he'll improve ball handling skills this season.)

    I'd also rather not run the same play in every scenario. A DJ/West PnR will probably work in November and December..but by April most teams will likely no how to defend it - and that it's coming.

    I don't know DJ's game well enough to know if he's a better shooter/passer/decision maker than Hill, but I know Hill's the best combination of all of those of the rest of the players (at this point, like I said, I don't know how far PG has come in his development.) So I'd like him to have the ball. But I also think, like the above play, it'll be important for Hill to have someone to work off of. Whether it be someone making the right read when Hill drives so that Hill can kick it out for an open shot, or someone making the right pass to Hill for a shot etc.. and I can see that coming from DJ/PG/Danny/West. I actually remember Hill and West working really well with each other. But I think the important part (just like, essentially the important part of the video was to get the ball to Taurasi) is to get the ball to Hill.
    Last edited by Sookie; 08-17-2012 at 01:42 PM.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  28. #49
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,247

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    I'd want a Danny ISO...

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:


  30. #50
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,536

    Default Re: Last second shot, who on the Pacers do you have taking it?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5drIn3aLco

    Plays never work. And then as we can see in the prior post, if you do set up a play, and for god knows what reason players don't execute it correctly, then the play would be completely dead. (except in the prior post above when they still made a game winning shot)
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Similar Threads

  1. new mock draft, pacers taking Henry
    By Pacergeek in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 08:11 PM
  2. Pacers’ reconstruction taking hold
    By YoSoyIndy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 06:34 PM
  3. Yahoo! Sports: Pacers' Reconstruction Taking Hold
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 05:39 PM
  4. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-20-2006, 10:54 PM
  5. Taking off the Shades and taking a real look at MJ
    By 8.9_seconds in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •