Thread: NBA League Pass Broadband Reviews needed...

Default NBA League Pass Broadband Reviews needed...

Hey guys... I need some help...

I am considering switching to all internet resources for my television watching needs... No more cable w/ DVR...

The 1 television program that I need over all others is any and every Pacers game played... I've always just watched on Fox Sports and am now considering NBALP Broadband... I would like to get anyones input on a the following questions Re: NBALP Broadband ...

1. Do you guys notice any major bugs with the streaming video?

2. Can you recommend an internet speed that works well and is prolly cheapest out of these options:

15M,20M,30M,50M,75M,100M

3. Can you tell me what an approximate cost will be for the year on NBALP BB?

4. Can you re-watch games from earlier in the season?

5. How many teams can you follow?

6. Can I see all the same Pacer games that I currently see on Fox Sports Midwest?

4. Any other thoughts on NBALPBB?

For those of you out there that don't use cable for your television viewing...

Can you recommend any ideas for using video services or hardware that utilize the internet for downloading HD video content?

I have a laptop, XBox 360 (though dont currently pay for their internet content), 2 PS3s, iPad, and iPhone that all have capabilities for transmitting HD video to my 2 flatscreen TV setup in my living room... One TV is for my wife and child... The other is mine to watch or play video games on... I have a surround sound turtle beach headset so I can listen to my TV while they listen to the surround sound in the room...

Think I will be purchasing Apple TV as well...

I am currently planning to get all of my HD video content from Hulu, Netflix, NBALP, Cinema Now, and iTunes...

Am I missing any options?

Thanks!
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NBA League Pass Broadband Reviews needed...

1. League Pass Broadband only works for out of market games. Therefore, they'll black out any Pacers games if you're in the viewing area. Now, there's a few workarounds, but they aren't legitimate.
    2. I've had it for 3 seasons, my internet is one of those "up to 15Mb" situations in which I really only get between 6Mb-8Mb. I've never had any problems with quality/drops or anything.
    3. You can re-watch games until the end of the season.
    4. It's usually around $100 I believe, but they did have a "Pick 7" or something that was cheaper.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

J7F

If you're in the Pacers viewing area, it will black out Pacers games, I'm pretty sure. I know it did when I bought it years ago. I'm' not sure how far away from Indy you have to be.

I had zero issues with it after the first couple days of the season. When I've gotten it, it has taken them a couple days at the beginning of the year to work out bugs a couple of times, but it didn't last long.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

One thing that has always bugged me about LP BB is the discrepancy between the domestic and international versions.

International LP BB has a much better user interface, let's you watch games in full HD (1080p), and is cheaper than the US version (it also has *every* regular season game, including those on national TV in the US, but I guess that's to be expected).

The user interface for the domestic version blows chunks, even with the changes they made last year, the picture quality is worse, it is expensive (the full thing is $169, not $100, and the 7-team thing is $109).

I've had LP BB these past 2 years, and I don't think I'm going to renew this coming year. It's just too damn expensive for what you get.

Though I kind of wish they had a 1-team package that was $40-$50 or something like that. I'd pay that kind of money to see all and only Pacers game.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

I live in NY and have regular cable.. I used to order the League Pass every year, and was disappointed every year because the games look absolutely HORRIBLE! They're not in HIGH DEF, but they're apparently WORSE than standard definition.. When i say BAD- IT'S BAD! I found out that the Satellite companies League Pass has the games in High Def and look great!... Well last year I came across a PRIVATE site called mystreams.tv You pay 60 bucks every 6 months and you get EVERYTHING.. I'm talkin regular channels. PPV Events (boxing, UFC, WRestling, etc) NBA league Pass, Football season ticket, baseball games, and then your HBO, Cinemax, showtime, etc channels also! It's amazing! I'd recommend it to anyone! That's how I get my PACERS FIX!!!!!!!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayday00 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think all the Pacers games will black out for you if you're in Seymour (Pacers viewing area).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

J7F

Damn... That throws a wrench in the gears...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I live on the Gulf Coast, so I have no issue with games being blacked out. I have a Roku (I love it) and I watched several games last year. There are ways around the blackout rule (changing your IP to a different part of the country/state), but it's not for an internet novice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

After all the brags I've seen on this page, about what services people can afford, and how great of an internet-user people are, I thought it'd be worth mentioning that my friend purchased NBA League Pass where you could view like 4 or 5 teams (all games) last season. For some reason, all of them worked but the Pacers games, and they refused to refund him his $. Brag on.
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy317 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After all the brags I've seen on this page, about what services people can afford, and how great of an internet-user people are, I thought it'd be worth mentioning that my friend purchased NBA League Pass where you could view like 4 or 5 teams (all games) last season. For some reason, all of them worked but the Pacers games, and they refused to refund him his $. Brag on.
    Not intended as bragging... I listed what I had for people to give me ideas on what I can do... I'm actually doing this to try and save money... Budget is tight... Sorry if I offended you...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    Damn... That throws a wrench in the gears...
    If you open the LP viewer with a proxy you can still watch it. Its not much trouble to do, and this is well worth it if you want to get rid of cable completely. The only games you won't be able to catch are NBA TV games and most TNT games.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy317 View Post

Give the guy a break, man. Nobody here is bragging, just trying to give the OP info to make an informed decision.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

I don't wanna brag here, but I can afford League Pass and I'm a great internet-user.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

As an international user, I got League pass broadband last year and it was fantastic. Up to Full HD on demand, 4 games at once, picture in picture, etc.

It was ~$40/month for full access. So for the shortened lockout season including playoffs it was ~$200.

I'm sure you could get an international proxy to get around local blackouts if you wanted to.

It's great if you don't live in Indiana. Sure you can cheat and get around local blackouts illegally.... But it kinda sucks to pay for a service and have to cheat. If you want to watch the other teams it's great. I really don't. The only team I am interested in is the Pacers.

The local blackouts for an internet service really **** me off. So stupid. I'd buy the service if it weren't for that.

Besides that, it's great picture quality if you have fast internet and the archive option is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    As an international user, I got League pass broadband last year and it was fantastic. Up to Full HD on demand, 4 games at once, picture in picture, etc.

It was ~$40/month for full access. So for the shortened lockout season including playoffs it was ~$200.

I'm sure you could get an international proxy to get around local blackouts if you wanted to.
    I actually considered doing that myself...

One tricky thing is that the cost of International LP varies from country to country. For instance, I know that a couple years back it was about $70 more expensive in Germany than in France (for the whole season).

$40/month sounds very, very expensive. The NBA, where fleecing fans happens.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

I got the International League Pass Broadband in Hungary - last season for only 130 USD - every game was in HD (1080) and it looked great on my 42" LED screen. Didn't really have any complaints.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    It's great if you don't live in Indiana. Sure you can cheat and get around local blackouts illegally.... But it kinda sucks to pay for a service and have to cheat. If you want to watch the other teams it's great. I really don't. The only team I am interested in is the Pacers.

The local blackouts for an internet service really **** me off. So stupid. I'd buy the service if it weren't for that.

Besides that, it's great picture quality if you have fast internet and the archive option is awesome.
    The league pass is also blacked out locally on cable/ DirecTV. The local broadcaster (FSN-I, in this case) still owns the broadcast rights in the region, so people in the Pacers viewing zone don't watch games on the LP they watch them on FSN-I. Its really the same rule. Just because you moved to the internet does not mean FSN-I has given up its broadcast rights.

I didn't think we were supposed to describe ways to cheat and steal the League Pass on here. Whether you like it or not, this NBA-thingy is a business, driven by advertising, subscription, and ticket revenue, and business owners have the right to not be stolen from. I just found this thread, but I'll check with the other admins. Meanwhile, if some of you want to police yourselves that would be okay too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    The league pass is also blacked out locally on cable/ DirecTV. The local broadcaster (FSN-I, in this case) still owns the broadcast rights in the region, so people in the Pacers viewing zone don't watch games on the LP they watch them on FSN-I. Its really the same rule. Just because you moved to the internet does not mean FSN-I has given up its broadcast rights.

I didn't think we were supposed to describe ways to cheat and steal the League Pass on here. Whether you like it or not, this NBA-thingy is a business, driven by advertising, subscription, and ticket revenue, and business owners have the right to not be stolen from. I just found this thread, but I'll check with the other admins. Meanwhile, if some of you want to police yourselves that would be okay too.
    You can close the thread if you want... I got the answer I needed... Keeping cable

While I understand the business interests I find it rediculous that NBALPBB can't broadcast it on a medium that Fox Sports is not utilizing... I know I am jumping the gun on the masses with wanting online only video content equivalent to cable but still...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Understood. But the choice of medium is a business decision of somebody's. All versions of the LP are clear that blackout rules apply, and the local Fox and Comcast entities, sitting across from the franchises, will no doubt modify their negotiations for these rights if the LP blackout rules change.

This really isn't about technology, as you and others have noted the technology is becoming more mature. Its about the contracts.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I really want LP.

If I get it, I already have a connector and will just connect my laptop to my tv.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

I live in Toronto, so LP is amazing for me.

Rogers (our cable tv provider) has something called Super Sports Package which is $30/month and you get LP, NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, the MLB one, and the Nascar one.

its the best $30 you'll ever spend
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I cut to the chase and contacted FSN to see if they have an official internet streaming service or subscription. I'll post the answer when I get it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I currently live in Costa Rica before I left I hooked up a Slingbox to a friends TV. You can stream all the TV you want and it works pretty well (I blame the terrible internet down here). Might be a cheaper way if you have a friend that would help you out.