Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Week 1: Rams @ Colts

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Preseason Week 1: Rams @ Colts

Quote Originally Posted by CompACE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dang, I want Luck to be great, but 30+ TDs & 4000 yds? Just out of curiosity, how many wins do you think the Colts will have this year?
    colts go 10-6 and win the AFC south
    David "And One" West

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Oh, boy........ ...

Uh, no.

If the Colts get 5 wins, I'll be happy. 10 just won't happen.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    See thats just not fair to Peyton. Times were different back then. I guarantee that if the roles were reversed, Luck wouldn't have been calling plays back then, but Peyton would be today. Peyton changed the game for quarterbacks. Peyton didn't just get smart in his second year. He always was. But back then, coaches were afraid to give their QBs freedom like that. It was unprecedented.

Your also not giving Peyton enough credit. Peyton can make every throw. Peyton also is 6'5" 230ish like Luck. Saying you need to take Peyton's head with Tebows body and Rodger's arm is a slap in the face to Peyton honestly. You don't need Rodger's arm, Peyton's will do the job better. His 4 MVPs show that. Yeah Luck is more athletic/can run better. But he's not Tim Tebow. Luck has excellent footwork and is able to get out of hair situations. But he's not gonna break a 40 yard run on you like Tebow does. He's much more like Peyton in that regard than Tebow.

Luck is gonna be a hell of a qb. He will be a hell of a qb this year. But that doesn't mean you have to sell Peyton short. If Luck is able to match Peyton's rookie numbers it will be a tremendous season for him.
    You took it entirely wrong. I'm not discrediting Manning... I think he's the best quarterback in history. My sentiments lean more towards how strong of a talent Luck is. I think over time you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not slapping Manning, I'm making an objective observation outside of typical Colt-fan homeristic emotions, which I"m completely guilty of myself over the years. I love Manning... He rescued Colts football, and is as of now the greatest quarterbacking force in the history of the game.

And I think Luck has the tools to be better.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm gonna go 6 conservative and 7 optimistic. I know, not a huge window. I just think it's gonna be 6-7 wins this year.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    You took it entirely wrong. I'm not discrediting Manning... I think he's the best quarterback in history. My sentiments lean more towards how strong of a talent Luck is. I think over time you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not slapping Manning, I'm making an objective observation outside of typical Colt-fan homeristic emotions, which I"m completely guilty of myself over the years. I love Manning... He rescued Colts football, and is as of now the greatest quarterbacking force in the history of the game.

And I think Luck has the tools to be better.

Oh, boy...... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nothing wrong with saying that, Blu, you've certainly said more absurd things on this board. I didn't say he's better than Manning at his prime and we should enshrine him in the Hall. I said he has the tools to be better, and you can't really disprove that. He still has to earn his place in history, but he has the tools.

Banned
    Mood

Nothing wrong with saying that, Blu, you've certainly said more absurd things on this board. I didn't say he's better than Manning at his prime and we should enshrine him in the Hall. I said he has the tools to be better, and you can't really disprove that. He still has to earn his place in history, but he has the tools.
    Oh, boy........ ...

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Uh, no.

If the Colts get 5 wins, I'll be happy. 10 just won't happen.
    Colts will win way more than 5 games. They play Jacksonville and Tennessee twice each. These are two bad teams, and Colts will go 3-1 if not 4-0 vs these two. Other bad teams on the schedule: Vikings, Bills, Browns. Colts also play a few mediocre teams: Jets, Chiefs, Bears. Add in a probable split with Houston, and we have a great shot at 10
    David "And One" West

Banned
    Mood

Colts will win way more than 5 games. They play Jacksonville and Tennessee twice each. These are two bad teams, and Colts will go 3-1 if not 4-0 vs these two. Other bad teams on the schedule: Vikings, Bills, Browns. Colts also play a few mediocre teams: Jets, Chiefs, Bears. Add in a probable split with Houston, and we have a great shot at 10
    Hoo, boy....... ...

yes olblu, we know you're a boy.

Like the optimism PacerGeek, but I'm more in line with 6 - 10 than 10 - 6. I've got to see this team perform well, and consistently, in a meaningful game against a non-rebuilding St. Louis team before I'd come off that.

There's undoubtedly potential on this roster, but question marks and inexperience too, which usually mean learning by mistakes. However, if it does turn out better than expected, I'll gladly give you props for your bold prediction.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

13. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Luck ran a pro offense in college, that alone is worth 2-3 wins. Add in the fact they don't play many tough defenses in the division, and I think they could easily end with with 5-6 wins.

Time will tell, though.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Like the optimism PacerGeek, but I'm more in line with 6 - 10 than 10 - 6. I've got to see this team perform well, and consistently, in a meaningful game against a non-rebuilding St. Louis team before I'd come off that.

There's undoubtedly potential on this roster, but question marks and inexperience too, which usually mean learning by mistakes. However, if it does turn out better than expected, I'll gladly give you props for your bold prediction.
    I just think our schedule is weak. The only two elite teams on our schedule are Green Bay and NE. Every other game on the schedule is winnable.
    David "And One" West

Banned
    Mood

I just think our schedule is weak. The only two elite teams on our schedule are Green Bay and NE. Every other game on the schedule is winnable.
    Hoo, boy... ...

Banned
    Mood

Yes, our schedule is weak but every team on that schedule except perhaps Jacksonville, is better than the Colts. We will be playing one of those non-elite teams in Chicago soon. We will see how that goes..... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stating that every team in the NFL is better than us doesn't make it true, Blu.

Banned
    Mood

It isn't me saying it. The polls and the experts are saying it. Now, I think that the Colts are probably better than Jacksonville in spite of what "they" all say. That is our chance to win a couple of games. On the prediction thread, I mentioned winning those games and the Vikings, Browns and Dolphins were possibilities. I do not see them beating anyone else on the schedule other than an upset "any given Sunday" type win. Yes, Luck looked great but our defense will be horrible and the offensive line will be very bad too although that line has a chance to improve by the end of the season. I don't see the defense improving, there is just a lot of weak players there trying a new system without the personel to play it.......Again, as you all point out these are my opinions as winning 6 to 10 games is other people's opinion. It will be fun to see how it plays out and I will be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong..... ...

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    It isn't me saying it. The polls and the experts are saying it. Now, I think that the Colts are probably better than Jacksonville in spite of what "they" all say. That is our chance to win a couple of games. On the prediction thread, I mentioned winning those games and the Vikings, Browns and Dolphins were possibilities. I do not see them beating anyone else on the schedule other than an upset "any given Sunday" type win. Yes, Luck looked great but our defense will be horrible and the offensive line will be very bad too although that line has a chance to improve by the end of the season. I don't see the defense improving, there is just a lot of weak players there trying a new system without the personel to play it.......Again, as you all point out these are my opinions as winning 6 to 10 games is other people's opinion. It will be fun to see how it plays out and I will be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong..... ...
    I believe that the NFL is a QB-driven league. If you have a superior QB, than you have a great chance to win games. I feel Luck is better than several of the QB's we play against
    David "And One" West

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can agree with that. It's funny that Blu puts so much stock in Newton who had a ridiculous rookie season and then seems to cite historical precedence showing that rookies don't integrate into the league quickly, when recent history shows evidence to the contrary. Rookies, especially ones who run a pro offense in college (hint: Luck) don't necessarily have a huge transition to make. It's clear that Luck is already in his first preseason game making pretty good sense of how the NFL works. If Andy Friggin Daulton can come in and have success, why the hell couldn't Luck who is leaps better as a prospect? There were a lot more question marks around Newton, for that matter, no one saw that comin'.

I also agree that Luck is on par at least with all of the AFC south QBs, including Shaub, who isn't really a world-beater. I personally think Luck is already the best AFC south QB, but saying that out loud will get all the chickens riled up.

Having a good QB is a large part of success, just ask Manning and then every Colt fan in 2011.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-14-2012 at 12:00 PM.

I can agree with that. It's funny that Blu puts so much stock in Newton who had a ridiculous rookie season and then seems to cite historical precedence showing that rookies don't integrate into the league quickly, when recent history shows evidence to the contrary. Rookies, especially ones who run a pro offense in college (hint: Luck) don't necessarily have a huge transition to make. It's clear that Luck is already in his first preseason game making pretty good sense of how the NFL works.
    Don't worry about Blu. He will do whatever it takes to get people riled up. Blu is just taking the side of the "experts" that don't realize how bad *** Luck will be this season.
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It just cracks me up how many people aren't recognizing the talent staring them right in the face, it's like they think because Newton was so good last year that the chances of someone better coming out is so slim since someone so good just came out, we're not due for another decade. Luck is the decade talent, people, lol... like they don't want to believe that we could go from the greatest QB in history to someone as good as Luck... they don't even entertain the idea.

It just cracks me up how many people aren't recognizing the talent staring them right in the face, it's like they think because Newton was so good last year that the chances of someone better coming out is so slim since someone so good just came out, we're not due for another decade. Luck is the decade talent, people, lol... like they don't want to believe that we could go from the greatest QB in history to someone as good as Luck... they don't even entertain the idea.
    The fans will come around once the Colts start winning again, and I suspect it will be soon. Keep in mind that the Manning to Luck transition is still difficult for people to accept. Certain fans are still bitter that Peyton is gone, and will purposley be ignorant on just how talented Andrew is. I know this because I was one of these crazy fans. I would watch Stanford just to be over-critical on Andrew, and try to fool myself that Luck is overrated. Instead of Luck playing poorly, which is what i wanted to happen, Andrew would ball out. I was once emotionally attached to Peyton like a woman, but once I removed emotion, I was all about Luck. Manning worshippers, which I used to be, still haven't bought into Luck, and actually believe that we made the wrong decision by ending the Manning era.
    David "And One" West

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, guess I'm not in the norm on that... I celebrate Manning and I also celebrate Luck, I don't look at it as an either/or thing, I look at it as both great things.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Yeah, guess I'm not in the norm on that... I celebrate Manning and I also celebrate Luck, I don't look at it as an either/or thing, I look at it as both great things.
    You would have the sane and rational approach. The crazy, irrational approach this off-season was one of two things:

1. Trade the first pick, and upgrade the roster with one maybe two blue-chip prospects in other positions of need. Basically build for a maybe 3 year window, assuming Peyton were to come back as "prime" Peyton at the advanced age of 36.

2. Draft Luck, but keep Manning around. This way Luck could learn under the mentoring of Peyton just like Aaron Rodgers learned from Favre.

These two choices are basically for fans living in a fantasy world. Irsay clearly made the correct choice
    David "And One" West