Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Week 1: Rams @ Colts

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Preseason Week 1: Rams @ Colts

You know a great way to talk to someone is to continue patronizing them over their age, that certainly shows that you are mature and know what you are talking about.

Peyton holds the rookie records for most TDs in a season (26), most consecutive games with a TD pass (13), most games with at least one TD pass (15), most games with 300+ yards passing (4). Saying that Manning was just "OK" his rookie season couldn't be further from the truth. I guess Cam Newton's season last year was just "OK". And remember this was a time when QBs had not been unleashed like they are now.

That season Peyton was second in passes completed, first in passes attempted, third in passing yards, fifth in passing TDs, fifth in passing yards per game, third in sack percentage.

The only thing you can ding him on was the interceptions, which were plentiful, but saying that his rookie season was just "OK"? Man, you must have pretty high standards.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 08-13-2012 at 02:50 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No more than saying someone is silly. Let's get back to football.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know a great way to talk to someone is to continue patronizing them over their age, that certainly shows that you are mature and know what you are talking about.

Peyton holds the rookie records for most TDs in a season (26), most consecutive games with a TD pass (13), most games with at least one TD pass (15), most games with 300+ yards passing (4). Saying that Manning was just "OK" his rookie season couldn't be further from the truth. I guess Cam Newton's season last year was just "OK". And remember this was a time when QBs had not been unleashed like they are now.

That season Peyton was second in passes completed, first in passes attempted, third in passing yards, fifth in passing TDs, fifth in passing yards per game.

The only thing you can ding him on was the interceptions, which were plentiful, but saying that his rookie season was just "OK"? Man, you must have pretty high standards.
    Dunno if you're saying I claimed that, but just to clarify, I didn't. Manning's rookie season was prolific, set rookie records, so you didn't hear that from me. He had the best rookie season in history until Newton's last year.

[EDIT] You're responding to Pacergeek, nm.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

No, Pacergeek said that Peyton's rookie year was just OK.

No, Pacergeek said that Peyton's rookie year was just OK.
    From a statistical standpoint, Peyton's TD numbers and yardage as a rookie were outstanding. However, he had a high INT number, and only won 3 games. That is why I considered it an "ok" rookie year. Mark my words, Luck will crush Peyton's rookie records this year
    David "And One" West

Crush them huh? I certainly hope so, but I think you are a little drunk off yesterday's game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think their rookie stats will be comparable. I think it's certain possible that Luck tops Manning's rookie stats but the games need to be played still. I'm not entirely sure Luck will top Newton's season... but... not sure that it's relevant. I still think Luck is a better long-term prospect.

Mood

Didn't think this deserved a new thread, but I thought it was an interesting enough tidbit... Curtis Painter threw 3 TDs against the Falcons: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320809001

I for one am glad he's doing well (at least for one game). I might be biased because I actually new him (We went to Purdue at the same time, same major, and he graduated a year before me), and he was a nice dude. Hopefully he continues to do alright.

Crush them huh? I certainly hope so, but I think you are a little drunk off yesterday's game.
    Yes, I may be over-hyping Luck to a degree, but I'm also being realistic. I think Luck easily goes for 30+ TD's and 4000 yds. He will have better passing numbers than Cam Newton. Luck will also have a better season statistcially than Bronco Manning
    David "And One" West

All those things may happen, I'm not saying they're outside the realm of possibility or even that I'm doubting Luck, just encouraging people to not get too high. Luck may break Manning's rookie records in an ironic twist of fate helped out by the rule changes that occurred partially because of Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Yes, I may be over-hyping Luck to a degree, but I'm also being realistic. I think Luck easily goes for 30+ TD's and 4000 yds. He will have better passing numbers than Cam Newton. Luck will also have a better season statistcially than Bronco Manning
    That's just not going to happen. That's not realistic at all, to expect that out of him this early. Manning got those numbers in his prime with a much better offense than we have now.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    That's just not going to happen. That's not realistic at all, to expect that out of him this early. Manning got those numbers in his prime with a much better offense than we have now.
    I will bump your post when it does happen
    David "And One" West

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

First you have to get to 20 TDs. First you have to get to 3000 yards. I thought Luck looked great but I do not expect a Cam Newton type of year from him. I will be happy if he is better or just as good as one other QB. That will be enough for this first year since the Colts are going to be no threat to do much winning anyway..... ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CompACE View Post
    Didn't think this deserved a new thread, but I thought it was an interesting enough tidbit... Curtis Painter threw 3 TDs against the Falcons: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=320809001

I for one am glad he's doing well (at least for one game). I might be biased because I actually new him (We went to Purdue at the same time, same major, and he graduated a year before me), and he was a nice dude. Hopefully he continues to do alright.
    That is a good start and I am rooting for him too. I think he is much better than he showed with the Colts...... ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I think their rookie stats will be comparable. I think it's certain possible that Luck tops Manning's rookie stats but the games need to be played still. I'm not entirely sure Luck will top Newton's season... but... not sure that it's relevant. I still think Luck is a better long-term prospect.
    I hate to burst your bubble but Luck is a prospect, Cam Newton is a superstar and he has proved that on the field. I don't expect Luck to be anything close to Newton, that would be expecting way too much. If Newton does not have major injuries, he is going to be a star for a long time...... ...

Banned
    Mood

I think he is just drunk, period...... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Manning has always been maniacal about preparation and being smarter than everyone else, Manning was great at that from day 1.
    Wanted to revisit this:

From all reports, he's at least as maniacal about preparation, and arguably smarter --- they say his mind is near photographic. In the least, I think we're talking about two like minds in Manning and Luck wherein you can expect both guys to study meticulously, be able to store vast amounts of information, quickly analyze defensive fronts, instantly recall proper formations, learn from and not repeat mistakes, and be able to communicate his thoughts to the other 10 guys on the field.

Manning wasn't calling his own plays until his 2nd season in the league, I believe, might even have been his 3rd. Luck was doing it last year, in college, and you can expect it this year, his rookie season. As cerebral as Manning was... Luck is at least on par with him, that's what's so hard to fathom with a guy his size. It's like you stick Manning's head on Tim Tebow's body and be able to throw a Brees'-like ball with the arm of Rodgers.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-13-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble but Luck is a prospect, Cam Newton is a superstar and he has proved that on the field. I don't expect Luck to be anything close to Newton, that would be expecting way too much. If Newton does not have major injuries, he is going to be a star for a long time...... ...
    Don't worry, you didn't burst my bubble, so no worries there. Bubble still in tact. You'll learn eventually 'bout Luck, I spose.

0.o

Banned
    Mood

Wanted to revisit this:

From all reports, he's at least as maniacal about preparation, and arguably smarter --- they say his mind is near photographic. In the least, I think we're talking about two like minds in Manning and Luck wherein you can expect both guys to study meticulously, be able to store vast amounts of information, quickly analyze defensive fronts, instantly recall proper formations, learn from and not repeat mistakes, and be able to communicate his thoughts to the other 10 guys on the field.

Manning wasn't calling his own plays until his 2nd season in the league, I believe. Luck was doing it last year, in college, and you can expect it this year, his rookie season. As cerebral as Manning was... Luck is at least on par with him, that's what's so hard to fathom with a guy his size. It's like you stick Manning's head on Tim Tebow's body and be able to throw a Brees'-like ball with the arm of Rodgers.
    Man, you are way out in left field and the Babe played right field. You have a serious man crush on a player who hasn't played a down in a real game situation....... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hah, like you can speak on man-crushes, Ol' Bean. You're right, Luck has never played a down in a real game, ever. He ran nothing but practices all through high school and college, all that game-footage was faked, sort of like the moon landing.

Banned
    Mood

Hah, like you can speak on man-crushes, Ol' Bean. You're right, Luck has never played a down in a real game, ever. He ran nothing but practices all through high school and college, all that game-footage was faked, sort of like the moon landing.
    Every QB in the NFL did all of that. What they do in an NFL game is all htat matters...... ...

Mood

I'm going to agree with the crazies and say that Luck has a good shot at getting absurd rookie stats. There is a reason why he is such a hyped prospect and we saw that reason on Sunday. We are going to be playing from behind every single game and the ball is going to be in Luck's hands barring that Pagano doesn't try to force our awful run game too much. I will be surprised if Luck doesn't put up close to record breaking rookie numbers.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wanted to revisit this:

Manning wasn't calling his own plays until his 2nd season in the league, I believe, might even have been his 3rd. Luck was doing it last year, in college, and you can expect it this year, his rookie season. As cerebral as Manning was... Luck is at least on par with him, that's what's so hard to fathom with a guy his size. It's like you stick Manning's head on Tim Tebow's body and be able to throw a Brees'-like ball with the arm of Rodgers.
    See thats just not fair to Peyton. Times were different back then. I guarantee that if the roles were reversed, Luck wouldn't have been calling plays back then, but Peyton would be today. Peyton changed the game for quarterbacks. Peyton didn't just get smart in his second year. He always was. But back then, coaches were afraid to give their QBs freedom like that. It was unprecedented.

Your also not giving Peyton enough credit. Peyton can make every throw. Peyton also is 6'5" 230ish like Luck. Saying you need to take Peyton's head with Tebows body and Rodger's arm is a slap in the face to Peyton honestly. You don't need Rodger's arm, Peyton's will do the job better. His 4 MVPs show that. Yeah Luck is more athletic/can run better. But he's not Tim Tebow. Luck has excellent footwork and is able to get out of hair situations. But he's not gonna break a 40 yard run on you like Tebow does. He's much more like Peyton in that regard than Tebow.

Luck is gonna be a hell of a qb. He will be a hell of a qb this year. But that doesn't mean you have to sell Peyton short. If Luck is able to match Peyton's rookie numbers it will be a tremendous season for him.

Mood

Dang, I want Luck to be great, but 30+ TDs & 4000 yds? Just out of curiosity, how many wins do you think the Colts will have this year?