Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Week 1: Rams @ Colts

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Preseason Week 1: Rams @ Colts

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see how anyone could be anything but optomistic after today. I wouldn't have put much stock in this preseason game if Luck had been sacked two or three times and threw three interceptions. I think everyone should take that same approach when things went well. What I also saw was that every QB we played tore the Rams up and they looked just as good as Luck did. Does that mean we have three superstar QBs on the roster? I don't think so, I think it is an "alert" that much of what we saw today was a Rams team that has a very bad defense. But, even saying that, Luck did look very good. I just know that when we were doing our best, we lost about every preseason game we played. I hope this isn't a sign in reverse!! ...
    Quite a reversal of course there, Blu, on your stance on Luck... if you'd ingested as much information as you've been claiming and listened to us, you would have already realized that Luck is the real deal. And the fact you're just now recognizing all 3 of our quarterbacks shows you haven't really been keeping up with this team. Most of us could tell you that all 3 QBs we have right now are all better than every QB we used last year, and I predict Harnisch will supplant Stanton as the #2 eventually, that kid is the real deal. His first drive in the 2nd half was impressive as hell and exactly what all his followers have been saying about him. I see a starting job for Harnisch sometime in his career, which is quite impressive for a Mr. Irrelevant. I still say you'll be surprised by this team this year. I'm not thinking playoffs, but we should have a better record than last year, by a fair margin. Been saying 4-6 wins. That O-line won't be as bad as you think.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    there's not enough evidence yet, but Luck may be the best QB in the AFC South
    I have seen enough after today. Luck is the top QB in the South, and already a top 10 NFL QB. Schaub isn't elite, and Luck showed that he could be elite as soon as this season
    David "And One" West

I think it was Lou Holtz who once said "You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose". There seemed to be a lot of bright spots from this game, especially from Luck, but I don't think it is much of an indicator on how this season will go. Still though, it is so hard not to get excited about this team. Maybe not based on what they will do this season but what they are likely to do beyond. I won't lie, I really started to get excited after the draft. I was ready for today.

I am not expecting a winning season from the Colts this year. The one thing I want to see is Luck protected. You can't have him get the snot beat out of him week after week. That offensive line concerns me. With that said we did get to see Luck under pressure a little bit today and I was impressed with how he reacted.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Good atmosphere from the fans yesterday and the place looked full from my seats. One thing we learned is Donald Brown still can't block.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I think it was Lou Holtz who once said "You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose". .
    Well, if Lou Holtz didn't say it, Coach Pagano said it after yesterday's game himself....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I keep reading a lot of comments by noobies saying that his first TD was not a big deal, all the credit should go to Brown.... completely not true. The QB has to choose the correct play and then make the correct check-downs for the most success. It wasn't a long pass, but it was the correct choice, and a major major play for a rookie to make. That play wasn't something you'd see a rookie do often at all, very heady and ahead of his years. He put his guys in the best place to succeed. Was mostly on Luck, Brown wasn't even touched, all he had to do was pick his lane and run for daylight. I'm sure the temptation for Luck to go for the home run bomb on his first throw was huge and instead he showed patience and threw a 1-yard throw that went 63 for the TD --- just as effective. That was a play we'd label Manning a genius for, and all these noobs are saying it was just luck... silliness.

Manning's first career TD throw to Harrison was only a 6-yarder that Harrison turned into a 48-yard TD.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-13-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I keep reading a lot of comments by noobies saying that his first TD was not a big deal, all the credit should go to Brown.... completely not true. The QB has to choose the correct play and then make the correct check-downs for the most success. It wasn't a long pass, but it was the correct choice, and a major major play for a rookie to make. That play wasn't something you'd see a rookie do often at all, very heady and ahead of his years. He put his guys in the best place to succeed. Was mostly on Luck, Brown wasn't even touched, all he had to do was pick his lane and run for daylight.
    Most rookies would have either been sacked, or rushed the throw. Andrew kept his composure like a veteran, and threw the ball at the perfect time.
    David "And One" West

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I think it was Lou Holtz who once said "You're never as good as everyone tells you when you win, and you're never as bad as they say when you lose". There seemed to be a lot of bright spots from this game, especially from Luck, but I don't think it is much of an indicator on how this season will go. Still though, it is so hard not to get excited about this team. Maybe not based on what they will do this season but what they are likely to do beyond. I won't lie, I really started to get excited after the draft. I was ready for today.

I am not expecting a winning season from the Colts this year. The one thing I want to see is Luck protected. You can't have him get the snot beat out of him week after week. That offensive line concerns me. With that said we did get to see Luck under pressure a little bit today and I was impressed with how he reacted.

All of this was well said...... ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I have seen enough after today. Luck is the top QB in the South, and already a top 10 NFL QB. Schaub isn't elite, and Luck showed that he could be elite as soon as this season
    What? You are a dreamer. Yes, he looked very good but he hasn't played a real game yet. ...

In all likelihood, it appears the first couple years of Luck's career will be very similar to Peyton's. A strong offense coupled with an unbearably bad defense. I really like our WR core if they all stay healthy, Wayne, Collie, Hilton, Fleener, Allen is a great mix of targets in this day and age. Wild card is the o-line obviously. I also think D-Brown will be a 1,000 yard rusher, which is blowing my mind considering I've never been a big fan, but he's impressed me lately.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

...and all these noobs are saying it was just luck...
    Well, techincially won't ALL of Andrew's passes be Luck?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    What? You are a dreamer. Yes, he looked very good but he hasn't played a real game yet. ...
    I may be jumping the gun slighty, but his play will be just as stellar in the regular season. I have seen nothing to suggest that Luck will become just ordinary in the regular seeson
    David "And One" West

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I may be jumping the gun slighty, but his play will be just as stellar in the regular season. I have seen nothing to suggest that Luck will become just ordinary in the regular seeson
    I hope you are right but I doubt it seriously...... Nothing wrong with be enthusiastic.... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a double-edged sword.... the defenses we face in the regular season will be stiffer, but our offense will also have gelled even more by then, so what we're seeing now is likely a good indicator of things to come if you extrapolate improvement of both our offense and opposing team's defenses... of course you gotta expect a few more turnovers and failed drives, etc... Teams aren't showing their hand on defense, but we probly aren't showing our hand on offense, either, and that's sorta scary to think about.

Imagine being Collie and Brown and those young guys who came in towards the end of the Peyton regime and didn't know what direction things were going, and then friggin' Andrew Luck falls in your lap and that's who you're catching passes from now... they gotta be like, "Thank you, Lord."

From what I'm reading this morning, it sounds like Indiana is finally coming around on Luck. If you look at the improvement Manning made from his rookie year to his 4th-5th year, and then consider that Luck could (should) make a similar improvement, I think that's starting to dawn on people how freakin' good this kid is gonna be.

People may still think I'm crazy, but I've believed Luck was already a top 15 NFL QB, and by the end of this season it could be top 10. What's crazy is we're in a sort of golden age of quarterbacks, but if you look at the list of top QBs right now, there's only maybe five that I would take over Luck *right now*, but if you consider the future, I wouldn't take a single one over Luck. He's special.... special special special.

I'm a massive Manning fan, watched every damn throw he made for 14 years, I cannot express enough how much that man has done for this organization... he is Colts' J.esus for all I'm concerned, so I say this with all due respect because it's crazy to even consider it, but Luck at this same point is better than Manning *across the board* except for release time, in which he's only slightly slower than Manning. It's not an easy thing to say that a guy could be better than Peyton Manning, but I'm sitting here thinking it's possible... very very possible. I don't think a lot of the more casual fans believe me when I say that to them... it took me awhile to accept it, but it dawned on me a few months back when reading/watching articles and footage --- "Holy ****.... he's better. This kid is farther along than Manning at the same age and has a stronger skillset..."

I've been calling him the NFL's version of LeBron James... seriously. He's huge, freakishly athletic, too smart, makes his teammates better --- but without the ego.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-13-2012 at 02:11 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

The key to the offense is the line. If they are able to form a cohesive unit, our offense will be pretty good.

Defense, I'm hoping we can pick up a corner or 2 on waivers, because otherwise we are going to get eaten alive. I did like what I saw yesterday regarding pressure. Oh, and let's hope Angerer isn't hurt too bad. That would be a big blow.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, the line is the big question, and to be honest I sort of question our running game.... but.....

Luck is uncanny in his ability to create time for himself and avoid the rush and has 4 sets of eyes on the back of his head. He is ridiculous in a clean pocket but he's also pretty f'n good when flushed out. Like I said, it's like his upper body is independent from his lower body when it sets up to throw --- whether he's planted stationary or on a full sprint out --- he throws the ball with almost the same motion, strength, accuracy.... it's just nuts.

Ideally we'd want Luck throwing from a clean pocket, but as evidenced yesterday and what some of us have been saying for awhile, he knows when to get out, has fantastic athleticism and can still make a play on the run to a high degree of success.... flushing him out of the pocket isn't necessarily a good thing for opposing defenses.

He's like a doppelganger of all the best QBs in the game today... you think of Manning, you know he had his particular style, strengths and weaknesses, and you can do that with every QB, but with Luck, it's like you check off all the great QBs greatest strengths --- in one guy. He throws on the run like Rodgers, he memorizes and recalls plays and audibles and makes every throw like Manning, he improvises like Roethlisberger, he shifts in the pocket like Brady, he runs like Tebow, he throws a ball as pretty as Vick or Brees...
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Let's pump the breaks here, Luck better than Manning in everything but release time? Sorry, but I can't believe that. Manning has always been maniacal about preparation and being smarter than everyone else, Manning was great at that from day 1. Not saying Luck isn't good at that, but come on it's tough for me to say he's better than Manning was as a rookie after one preseason game. Plus game has changed since Manning was a rook, defenses were allowed to be much more physical then, so even comparing Manning's rookie year to Luck's come January may not be fair.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is very tough, but you need to start believing it, lol...

My thoughts on Luck weren't formed after 1 preseason game --- that preseason game displayed what I've been known about him for the past year. It's not like he played out of his mind for that game --- that was standard Luck. He's been doing this... all he did was do it on an NFL field for everyone to see, and he's going to continue right on doing it.

This is how everyone reacts to him --- "Oh he can't be that good, he's all hype" and then after a few games, they *all* change to: "Holy ****, this dude is gooooooood...."

You know how the scouts and experts say he has no flaws in his game? It's unbelievably true. Even with Manning you could say he had happy feet, didn't throw a pretty ball, wasn't very mobile, could sometimes make bad forces, couldn't win the "big one" for a long time, etc.... I can't find anything with Luck. Seriously. Maybe "needs to work on his interview skills"??
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-13-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Yeah, but you're acting like that's not how people reacted to Peyton.

It is very tough, but you need to start believing it, lol...

My thoughts on Luck weren't formed after 1 preseason game --- that preseason game displayed what I've been known about him for the past year. It's not like he played out of his mind for that game --- that was standard Luck. He's been doing this... all he did was do it on an NFL field for everyone to see, and he's going to continue right on doing it.
    I agree with everything you have written about Luck in this thread. It is crazy to think that a rookie is already a top 10 QB, but Luck is simply that good. I would rank him just below the elite QB's: Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Eli. Luck will prove all the doubters wrong week 1 vs Chicago
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    As a rookie, Peyton was just Ok. He exploded his second season. Luck will have this same explosion this year. Its already happening
    David "And One" West

I was more impressed by TY Hilton, Quan Cosby, and LaVon Brazill. They looked like they could be solid backup wide receivers. That Winston Justice trade was a horrible mistake but I think the left side of the line is going to be pretty good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    You were 10 when Manning made his first TD pass to Harrison. I know what it was like when Peyton came to Indy, we all were ecstatic, I remember touting Manning when half the friggin board (back then most of us were on IndyStar forums) said we made a mistake not taking Leaf, I remember clearly how good he was at particular things, and I remember clearly the things he needed to work on, which he did, and is why by his 4th-5th season he was setting records.

Luck is simply no joke. I've had the pleasure of seeing both Manning and Luck come on board, I can look at both objectively, and say with a straight face that Luck has Manning topped in many many categories.

Manning's rookie season was just OK? At the time it was regarded as one of the greatest rookie years of any QB ever from a statistical standpoint. I get I was "only 10" when Manning was a rookie, but that is sort of irrelevant to the conversation. A 10 year old is pretty capable of watching football on television. Luck may put up better stats this year, I don't know and neither do you, but the one thing we do know is that it is happening in a different era, an era mind you that Manning helped to usher in.

Also, acting like the city is not ecstatic over Luck is just flat out silly. People were sporting Luck jerseys at games around week 10 of last season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You think everything is silly, 'cause you're 24 and know everything.

The "ecstaticness" is about to reach way higher levels. There are a LOT of people still hitched to Manning's wagon, man... all the casuals I talk to every day still hate the Colts for getting rid of Manning and a lot of them didn't even know there was a preseason game yesterday.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: