Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Preseason Week 1: Rams @ Colts

Default Re: Preseason Week 1: Rams @ Colts

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You forget that you have to play both sides of the ball. The defense is the worst part of this team and the offensive line too. Five years is still about right..... ...
    yea because the defense has looked worthless. Can't believe they allowed 3 points in the first half. Any decent defense would have kept them off the board entirely.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Luck was very, very impressive. Tough not to be excited unless you are just being negative. Showed strong athleticism, good decision making (the first pass of the game to Brown), good pocket awareness, and was throwing crisp tight spirals. He definitely looks NFL ready. Dunno what that will translate to during the regular season, but tough to imagine this kid being anything other than a top 5 QB his whole career. Will he and RG3 be the first linked QB duo in a while where both of them end up working out long term?

Really liked seeing Brown's speed on that TD, he could have a strong season if he stays motivated. Defense still looks pretty meh, Rams offense is just very, very bad. Worst batch of wide receivers in the NFL by a large margin. I really like Hilton as our third wide out too, his speed will be nice out of the slot. And all this praise in the first half, and Luck didn't even hook up with Fleener or Allen, both of whom are supposed to be very good.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Fleener had a catch for about 8 yards i think.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swingman For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Luck was very, very impressive. Tough not to be excited unless you are just being negative. Showed strong athleticism, good decision making (the first pass of the game to Brown), good pocket awareness, and was throwing crisp tight spirals. He definitely looks NFL ready. Dunno what that will translate to during the regular season, but tough to imagine this kid being anything other than a top 5 QB his whole career. Will he and RG3 be the first linked QB duo in a while where both of them end up working out long term?

Really liked seeing Brown's speed on that TD, he could have a strong season if he stays motivated. Defense still looks pretty meh, Rams offense is just very, very bad. Worst batch of wide receivers in the NFL by a large margin. I really like Hilton as our third wide out too, his speed will be nice out of the slot. And all this praise in the first half, and Luck didn't even hook up with Fleener or Allen, both of whom are supposed to be very good.
    Hard to think of anything negative to say about Luck. I thought the offensive line was pretty bad but his scrambling and getting rid of the ball quickly kept it from being worse. Didn't Fleener catch one pass? I thought he did. Yes, the defense only gave up three points in the first half but this is preseason and still expect them to be the worst defense in the NFL this year or close to it...... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    lol...I honestly haven't seen a terrible pass from him yet. A lot of drops that hit receivers' hands though
    i think Luck throws the ball deceptively hard. Just watching him, you wouldn't think he does, but looking back at that pass that almost was picked by Jenkins, but ended up being a tight rope catch, its because he threw the ball so damn hard. It looked like Jenkins didn't expect the ball to be coming that fast.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Harnisch looks impressive.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Fleenor caught a pass.

It's the preseason and this game has met or exceeded expectations on most of areas of the team for game 1.

Luck couldn't have had a better start to his career. So that is a major positive.

OL is a work in progress... but that is the key- Progress. They showed progress and Luck showed the ability to sidestep the rush and make good decisions. It helps the OL if the QB doesn't make them look bad. The Colts will under no circumstances allow Luck not to have protection and I have no doubt they will coach, spend, and tweak to make sure it happens.

Defense IMHO will be better because the previous system and design was a pi$$ poor modern NFL design and hurt the team, and Manning, more than it helped. So as long as the team is leaving that in the rear view mirror it can only get better. It might not happen in a season with the total revamp, or it might, but it won't take 5 years either.

I think Irsay learned a lot during the Manning years and I bet truth be known, he would've done a lot differently in hindsight. Luck appears to be the real deal to offer him a 2nd chance to handle a team with a true franchise QB differently.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

OL is the group that takes the longest to gel... not surprising that this brand new OL had some rough times, and like was said, they improved as the game went on, which is also to be expected. They'll be alright, just gotta expect lumps here and there.

Luck was impressive, and even had 3 dropped balls that were almost entirely on the receivers. Who knows how many completions and yards he would've had. Just part of the process, receivers getting used to him. He absolutely throws a deceptive ball, all you gotta do is look at his arms to know the dude can cork it. He has, maybe, the biggest arms in the NFL of any quarterback outside of Tebow. He's a manchild, and he's only a rookie --- he's going to get bigger. Manning looked so skinny and boyish his rookie season, Luck looks like friggin LeBron James. He was everything I expected to see, having watched weeks of footage. His poise and balance and acceleration is just off the charts for a QB, let alone a rookie. It's been a long time since I've seen someone move like him, so fast and strong and yet so balanced and quick. And he sets up to throw even while in full sprint as if he was standing still. It's ridiculous. And he doesn't throw ducks like Peyton did, they are pretty spirals, perfect arc, perfect placement. 200 yards and what should've been 3 TDs (but was 2) and no interceptions in the first HALF of his first pre-season game --- yeah.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Luck impressed me with his poise. BTW I have seen worse Colt offensive lines over the years and yes those teams won more than 4 games.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

We got Luck for like half the price of Bradford

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Very happy after seeing today's game.

Plenty to work on, but damn, Luck looked great.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I think people are underselling Luck when they say he looks like a 3rd or 4th year vet. There are a lot of 3rd and 4th year players that he looks a lot better than. Short sample size, but very impressive.

OL was definitely terrible in the beginning. But they got better in the 3rd, 4th, 5th possessions. I thought they did a good job opening holes for the running game as well. The running backs all looked good, was especially impressed with Ballard.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Mood

I know it's only preseason, and this was against the Rams, but dang, that is one helluva pass.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CompACE For This Useful Post:

Its only 1 preseason game but I'm definately excited about watching this team this season and it will be better than last season (hard not to be)

Of course I don't know how much of it is the Colts or how bad the Rams are because they didn't look that great at all

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think all 3 QBs are better than any we had last year. Most fun I've ever had at a preseason game.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I think all 3 QBs are better than any we had last year. Most fun I've ever had at a preseason game.
    Did you attend the game? Out of curiosity, how was the crowd? Were they quiet for Luck before the snap? I'm kind of wondering if the crowd is still trained to not talk when the offense is on the field.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    It's tied with the most fun I've had at a preseason game since the Suzy Kolber incident of 2006 or so. And, that was by far the loudest I've heard either of our stadiums for a preseason game after the Luck threw the first TD.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Wait, McAfee kicked a FG? What was that about, just to do it?

So Luck was 10-16 for 188 yards, and 2 TD's.

Of his 6 incompletions, 2 were throw aways on the run, and 3 were dropped passes by receivers. That's absurd.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wait, McAfee kicked a FG? What was that about, just to do it?
    Yeah, Pat said during radio post-game that it'd been decided he'd do the kicking in the fourth. So nothing's up with Vinatieri.

I was at the game and it was a really great crowd. People were boisterous before, during, and after. I'm going to try to make it to another during the season.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

You know it was a good first outing for the team when even Ol Blu is having a hard time being pessimistic.

Of course it's just one game... and it's the preseason.... But I saw nothing to make me think Luck isn't the real deal. And I have little doubt this FO will do whatever it takes to fix any weaknesses in the overall team as we move forward. Especially as long as Luck looks like the real deal.

I believe Pagano is a legitimate NFL coach too and I believe coaching matters. Hard to tell from a game like today except to see the players seeming to buy into the system. But all the signs are there and so is the background.

I'm pretty excited right now. The future looks bright today. Heh... but tomorrow is another day... and another preseason game awaits soon enough.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

AFA signs of Pagano's coaching:

How about how hard every single unit played, all the way down the bottom of the barrel guys?

How about overall organization and low penalties - i.e. they looked like they all new the system, within reason, and new what they were trying to accomplish as a unit? (How many years did we have to constantly hear how the D's looking completely out of synch and clueless could be rectified in midseason by some fundamental tweaks?)

How about Pagano claps, yells, and encourages from the sidelines?

I'm by no means extrapolating to regular season success here, but I appreciated what it was for a debut of the new regime/schemes/personnel. Plus, you couldn't ask for a better start to keep fair-weatherd fans' attention.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    You know it was a good first outing for the team when even Ol Blu is having a hard time being pessimistic.

Of course it's just one game... and it's the preseason.... But I saw nothing to make me think Luck isn't the real deal. And I have little doubt this FO will do whatever it takes to fix any weaknesses in the overall team as we move forward. Especially as long as Luck looks like the real deal.

I believe Pagano is a legitimate NFL coach too and I believe coaching matters. Hard to tell from a game like today except to see the players seeming to buy into the system. But all the signs are there and so is the background.

I'm pretty excited right now. The future looks bright today. Heh... but tomorrow is another day... and another preseason game awaits soon enough.
    I don't see how anyone could be anything but optomistic after today. I wouldn't have put much stock in this preseason game if Luck had been sacked two or three times and threw three interceptions. I think everyone should take that same approach when things went well. What I also saw was that every QB we played tore the Rams up and they looked just as good as Luck did. Does that mean we have three superstar QBs on the roster? I don't think so, I think it is an "alert" that much of what we saw today was a Rams team that has a very bad defense. But, even saying that, Luck did look very good. I just know that when we were doing our best, we lost about every preseason game we played. I hope this isn't a sign in reverse!! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

God I hope so, for both teams.

I think RG3 will have a tougher season in terms of having to grow up quick (hell, that can be talking about only divisional games, and that ignores teams like the Saints). But I hope you are right.

Granted, as we have all seen time and time again pre season doesnt mean jack if you cant produce in the real season. But a good start for both franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I just know that when we were doing our best, we lost about every preseason game we played. I hope this isn't a sign in reverse!! ...
    I think that was a sign of a pi$$ poor defensive scheme/system, under sized players, questionable coaching, and Manning and most of the offense only playing a few plays.

------

-John Wooden

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: