Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Pacers make another move?

Default Re: Should the Pacers make another move?

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What? Granger would not be allowed to carry Pierce's jock. The difference is between a decent starter and a perenial all star. Garnet versus West is even more lopsided. Garnett would clamp West down and West could do nothing on defense to slow KG. Both of Boston's players at those positions are on a completely different level than their counterparts on the Pacers. It is fun to think those thing but please try to keep some commonsense about it....... ...
    Maybe, but Rondo is still the man that makes the Celtics go at this point. He is the team leader an best player. In the losses to Miami Pierce looked pedestrian, much like Granger. No doubt Pierce is well above Granger over - likewise Garnett over West - if you look at their entire careers. My comparison is based on how I see them all currently. And I'd still say the Cs are better than us until we prove otherwise.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

2. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Maybe, but Rondo is still the man that makes the Celtics go at this point. He is the team leader an best player. In the losses to Miami Pierce looked pedestrian, much like Granger. No doubt Pierce is well above Granger over - likewise Garnett over West - if you look at their entire careers. My comparison is based on how I see them all currently. And I'd still say the Cs are better than us until we prove otherwise.
    There is almost as much difference between Granger and Pierce as there is from Pierce to LBJ. Not quite but a reasonable comparison. Danny is no star and Pierce and KG still are stars. The Celtics are MUCH better than the Pacers. It really isn't close. I would pick the Pacers to win one game against them in a playoff series and no more than that. ...

So how bout you just agree with something I say? Didn't I just say I consider the Celts better? That would mean I would favor them to beat us in a playoff series. The Pacers have a lot to prove before they can move beyond Celts in terms of deep playoff potential. I think it will be very difficult to move beyond them in a head to head series, particularly due to the fact we have no answer for Rondo. But those other guys are important factors too.

-Emiliano Zapata

5. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

I'd say Pierce is marginally better than Granger, who I don't consider more than a solid NBA player. Garnett v. West is probably about a wash. Perhaps a slight nod to KG for better overall D and boards. But, the real difference between us and Boston is flat out R. Rondo. They have him and we don't.
    Who knew that just solid NBA players would average 18+ points in their career.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 08-12-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: I forgot DG only played on the Wold Championship team and not the olympic team

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Granger is overrated by some on this board. He's a solid player who deserved his one AS appearance, but, IMO, a one-time AS is not enough to merit definitive enshrinement in the pantheon of star players. He is a somewhat above - average NBA player for his career. Multiple AS appearances are required before we get into star or superstar territory. Additionally, leading one's team to conference finals and/or finals wouldn't hurt.

So, I appreciate and recognize what he's done during a frustrating period of Pacers NBA hoops. But my feeling is that if he's the top dog on our team, we won't be legit deep playoff contenders. He is probably best suited to be a 2nd or 3rd option on a championship contender.

-Emiliano Zapata

9. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

I see the Celtics as a really SMALL team.. Our back court is going to give them A LOT of problems! I too don't see the Celtics as much better than us...

One thing that I think is vital to us, is the fact that we have our main set of guys ALL back again, they're all close friends, and they're all still YOUNG and IMPROVING.. Our boys are HUNGRY, they got that taste last year, and they're gonna continue to grow.. WE have a great team guys.. We should be very proud of what we have here..

Teams like BROOKLYN, are going to be a good up and coming team, but I really dont think they can mess with our unison..

A lot of teams have the problem of losing a key player- and they're SCREWED! we have a healthy team, and we're very deep. We can play through whatever injury bugs come our way.. We are going to be a GREAT regular season team.. These East is vastily improved- but so are we.. We're going to be competitive and that's all we can ask for..

It's obvious no one is messing with LAKERS VS HEAT in the finals this year (unless there is injuries).. But I know I'll have fun watching this team IMPROVE, and continue to GROW together.. I'm just excited to see the growth.. I really wanna see what everyone is doing this off season!

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Who knew that just solid NBA players would average 18+ points in their career, while also being selected to an Olympic team and all star game.
    Granger was never on the Olympic team...... ... He was on the World Championship team and rode the pine because Coach K wouldn't let him near the court because he is a lousy defender. He is basically a spot of three point shooter and that is all he is. He doesn't get many assists because when he gets the ball, it is going up. He can't move with the ball, he is a less than adequate rebounder and he still is a lousy defender and all though he goes through the motions of putting more effort into it, he basically coasts on that end of the floor. Granger is the second most overrated player (by fans) in Pacers history...... ... That, of course, is my opinion after watching him for years and years.....

Banned
    Mood

There is almost as much difference between Granger and Pierce as there is from Pierce to LBJ. Not quite but a reasonable comparison. Danny is no star and Pierce and KG still are stars. The Celtics are MUCH better than the Pacers. It really isn't close. I would pick the Pacers to win one game against them in a playoff series and no more than that. ...
    I thanked you for both posts....... ...

Granger is overrated by some on this board. He's a solid player who deserved his one AS appearance, but, IMO, a one-time AS is not enough to merit definitive enshrinement in the pantheon of star players. He is a somewhat above - average NBA player for his career. Multiple AS appearances are required before we get into star or superstar territory. Additionally, leading one's team to conference finals and/or finals wouldn't hurt.

So, I appreciate and recognize what he's done during a frustrating period of Pacers NBA hoops. But my feeling is that if he's the top dog on our team, we won't be legit deep playoff contenders. He is probably best suited to be a 2nd or 3rd option on a championship contender.
    I agree with the last part of your post 100%. But there is a big difference (in my opinion) between an average NBA player and a good NBA player. I'm not saying he's a star, and definitely not an All-Star. But he's far from a "solid" or average NBA starter. Anybody who is in the top 50-60 players in the league, that's a little more than solid.....at least in my opinion

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Granger was never on the Olympic team...... ... He was on the World Championship team and rode the pine because Coach K wouldn't let him near the court because he is a lousy defender. He is basically a spot of three point shooter and that is all he is. He doesn't get many assists because when he gets the ball, it is going up. He can't move with the ball, he is a less than adequate rebounder and he still is a lousy defender and all though he goes through the motions of putting more effort into it, he basically coasts on that end of the floor. Granger is the second most overrated player (by fans) in Pacers history...... ... That, of course, is my opinion after watching him for years and years.....
    I know you have your negative opinions of DG, so I wont even try to change them. All I can say is a player can't average over 18 ppg in his career by being ONLY a spot 3-pt shooter. Steve Kerr, Kyle Korver, Steve Novak..those are spot 3-pt shooters . But a guy who's averaged close to 20 points a game in his career is a little more than a spot 3-pt shooter. A volume scorer? Maybe. No he's not a superstar, or even a star really. But you don't become the 2nd leading scorer in the HISTORY of an NBA franchise by being only a spot 3 pt shooter. Thats just my opinion.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

SOMEONE has to balance out the old man's obvious anti-anything-Indiana bias. I call BS and loudly state that the Pacers are better than the Celtics and will finish with a better record than them AGAIN this year.....*stupid sunglass smiley icon*

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mildlysane For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's weird, 'cause last I checked Granger was a better player than LBJ. ...

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Not really. I'd be a big fan of signing Kenyon Martin, but doesn't seem like that's likely. K-Mart only drinks strawberry milk. Not like he's still able to shut down longer wings and give stout defense on the block or anything. I mean hell, who wants Roy to be able to take his eyes off the ball for a split second when it's getting swung around the perimeter?

I have nothing at all against Mahinmi. But he better be a MAJOR cog, starting immediately.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Rondo, Pierce and KG are better than anything the Pacers have, ad players like Green, Lee and their other players and they are better than the Pacers, maybe not regular season better but playoffs better for sure.

Rondo,Terry,Pierce,Bass and KG in the starting unit with Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger, Melo off the bench? No bad.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about JET signing with them. Yeah, they're still going to be good. The big thing is Rondo. But KG has got to slow down eventually, right? We can still run with them.

Banned

I know you have your negative opinions of DG, so I wont even try to change them. All I can say is a player can't average over 18 ppg in his career by being ONLY a spot 3-pt shooter. Steve Kerr, Kyle Korver, Steve Novak..those are spot 3-pt shooters . But a guy who's averaged close to 20 points a game in his career is a little more than a spot 3-pt shooter. A volume scorer? Maybe. No he's not a superstar, or even a star really. But you don't become the 2nd leading scorer in the HISTORY of an NBA franchise by being only a spot 3 pt shooter. Thats just my opinion.
    Iverson averaged over 20ppg for his career and many here think is garbage, somebody has to average big numbers on an NBA team and on the Pacers case Danny has been that guy.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Iverson averaged over 20ppg for his career and many here think is garbage, somebody has to average big numbers on an NBA team and on the Pacers case Danny has been that guy.
    Who ever said Iverson was garbage on the floor, at least before he was a career tail-ender? The objections here have been to his attitude, not his playing ability.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Allen Iverson was garbage?! Oh wow....

While I agree that somebody has to average numbers on a team, not EVERYBODY can average 20ppg. No matter how bad the team is.

EDIT: for someone that thinks Monta Ellis is a very good player, its almost blasphemous to call Iverson garbage when they are essentially the same player..the only difference? Iverson actually played, and played well, in the playoffs...
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 08-13-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post

Hey!! ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    SOMEONE has to balance out the old man's obvious anti-anything-Indiana bias. I call BS and loudly state that the Pacers are better than the Celtics and will finish with a better record than them AGAIN this year.....*stupid sunglass smiley icon*
    Balance away but the Pacers are not even close to being the Celtics and even if they did have a better season record, the Celtics would quickly send them home in the playoffs. You don't get it, the Celtics improved a lot in the draft and with deals they made. The Pacers only added some bench strength. The result is the Celtics are better than the Pacers. But I will give you a pass for your youth as an excuse for your lack of knowledge..... ...

Banned
    Mood

Oh? Who is the leading scorer for the Pacers? Reggie Miller. Say wasn't he a three point shooter too only a lot better at it than Granger? ...

Balance away but the Pacers are not even close to being the Celtics and even if they did have a better season record, the Celtics would quickly send them home in the playoffs. You don't get it, the Celtics improved a lot in the draft and with deals they made. The Pacers only added some bench strength. The result is the Celtics are better than the Pacers. But I will give you a pass for your youth as an excuse for your lack of knowledge..... ...
    You think loosing ray Allen for Courtney Lee and jason terry is a big improvement? Weren't you the one predicting lottery last year? Didn't you get tired of being wrong all the time? Should we give you a pass for diminished brain capacity?(you took the first age shot.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 08-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.

billbradley

Oh? Who is the leading scorer for the Pacers? Reggie Miller. Say wasn't he a three point shooter too only a lot better at it than Granger? ...
    Every year Reggie average 20 or more points a game, he also average more points from free throws than 3s.

There's a big difference between a 3pt shooter, and a SPOT 3pt shooter. When I hear SPOT 3pt shooter I think of someone who is simply out there to spread the floor for other players. They are SPOTTING UP in an area waiting to receive a pass from a post player or off a drive and kick. They aren't really able to score in other ways and certainly aren't your main threats offensively.

Reggie, Ray Allen, those types of players aren't spot 3pt shooters. They move around screens, and at times they can even create their own offense by driving the lane or simply pulling up from mid range. You can focus your offensive attack around those players, you don't create your offense around a player whose sole purpose is to stand in the corner and knock down wide open 3s when they come--ya know, kinda how SPOT 3pt shooters are supposed to do

What does that have to do with your claim that Danny is only a spot up 3 shooter? You are side stepping again...

And Iverson was garbage for his last 4 or 5 seasons... He was near unstoppable before that...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.