Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Pacers make another move?

Default Re: Should the Pacers make another move?

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, lets break it down. Miami and Boston are clearly much better than the Pacers. I believe both NY teams will be better and have a better record than the Pacers. I think Philly adding Andrew Bynum may finish ahead of the NY teams. I think that has us competing for a 6-8 slot and I think that is about where we will come in. Management (not me) claimed they overperformed last year. The additions to the bench won't make a huge difference. I predicted 48-34 which is pretty good but probably fifth or sixth in the East. If the Pacers suffer a major injury (something they avoided last year) then missing the playoffs is not out of the question......... If that pisses you off, then you are just a homer whose bold talk means absolutely nothing because there is no basis for it. I have reasons for my taking a slightly less optomistic view. If they Pacers were going to compete for the two seed, they needed to upgrade a starter. I will admit this team is designed for a good regular season record but that means they are also designed to tumble in the playoffs rather quickly when stars start playing more minutes...... ...
    Man, I am just not that sure that Boston is so clear cut better than we are. I mean, they may be, but I don't think they totally outclass us by much, if at all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Yes. Trade multiple draft picks and west for josh smith
    Dislike X1000

I say keep is as is till the deadline or sign barbosa for cheap

Banned

Rondo, Pierce and KG are better than anything the Pacers have, ad players like Green, Lee and their other players and they are better than the Pacers, maybe not regular season better but playoffs better for sure.

Rondo,Terry,Pierce,Bass and KG in the starting unit with Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger, Melo off the bench? No bad.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 08-11-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    You're saying we can't even challenge for the top 2 seeds? LOL
    He is very likely right. I wouldn't start laughing yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I just do not agree with this at all. He was a very, very good player coming off the bench for us at the end of last season. He added much needed scoring off of the bench. He got injured before the playoffs and had trouble guarding Wade (who doesn't?) and now everyone thinks he is chopped liver.

He was a lot better/more valuable than some of you think IMO.
    I agree Barbosa was great.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I agree Barbosa was great.
    Our additions of Augustin and Green, two players who thrive in transition, would only help Barbosa be more effective. He never found his groove with us offensively and was still close to a double digit scorer off the bench. At this point, we need as much firepower as possible to compete. Why not bring in a proven scorer off the bench?

Mood

I like us right now but if we can bring Barbosa back I think we'd be better off.

Yes

RLeWorm

yes, if we want to try to compete for a championship if not, we don't have a chance against Miami or the lakers

I don't think so.
    I'm cool with starting the season with the players we have right now and give minutes to Stephenson, Hansbrough and Pendergraph, who all should be contributors this season. Plumlee should be semi-contributing as well. Why else would you draft a 24 year old rookie?
    If we add another player, that's fine too, just don't think there are players left who can make a big difference.

Should the Pacers make another move to contend?
    Yes, they do, but I feel like the opportunities will present themselves during the season when certain teams have become pessimistic about their playoffs chances and off course in the summer of 2013.

I would like us to add a player like Barbosa, only a better version this time.

Mood

Sports Logo

Well, lets break it down. Miami and Boston are clearly much better than the Pacers. I believe both NY teams will be better and have a better record than the Pacers. I think Philly adding Andrew Bynum may finish ahead of the NY teams. I think that has us competing for a 6-8 slot and I think that is about where we will come in. Management (not me) claimed they overperformed last year. The additions to the bench won't make a huge difference. I predicted 48-34 which is pretty good but probably fifth or sixth in the East. If the Pacers suffer a major injury (something they avoided last year) then missing the playoffs is not out of the question......... If that pisses you off, then you are just a homer whose bold talk means absolutely nothing because there is no basis for it. I have reasons for my taking a slightly less optomistic view. If they Pacers were going to compete for the two seed, they needed to upgrade a starter. I will admit this team is designed for a good regular season record but that means they are also designed to tumble in the playoffs rather quickly when stars start playing more minutes...... ...
    ^^^ You see why I love this guy? I mean, we could all sit here and be logical and "sure" that the Pacers will suck balls, but then OlBlu would be out of a job. Actually, I remember when he was the voice of reason at one point (I call those the Dark Ages... they happened a couple months ago...)... But regardless, I'm well aware of how blind I am most of the time, and how most of my comments lack any basis; I can't stand to be down on the team, because they try a lot harder than I (ever) could. And sometimes, I would have plenty to be depressed about.

So if I think Augustin, Green, and Plumlee are all going to come in and dominate their respective back-up positions, so be it. I may have no evidence, but Augustin and Green both work well in transition, and Plumlee just needs a playing style to adapt to. And I may be a baseless homer to think, just because Paul George is younger than me, and only two full seasons deep in NBA experience, that his potential will NOT cap out already. Or for believing that this team (primarily the starters and returning bench) needed a full offseason with their coaching staff (and the current roster) to mesh, and now have that opportunity heading into one of the most anticipated NBA seasons I've ever personally witnessed.

Keep on trollin', Blu. I have a lot of faith in this team, and what they can do this season. And by this time in 2013, I'm not gonna care if I was wrong, so feel free to quote me... I'm gonna be more worried about the zombies...............

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Man, I am just not that sure that Boston is so clear cut better than we are. I mean, they may be, but I don't think they totally outclass us by much, if at all.
    That's the thing with our new (yet unseen on court) team, and the rest in the NBA. There are a bunch of teams that look good on paper (and NBA 2K13), but...

(1) you never know what could happen during the season,
    (2) there has been plenty of evidence of players not performing up to expectations after getting traded (Lamar Odom, Devin Harris, Stephen Jackson, most recently), and
    (3) you never know what could happen during the season!! (Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Al Horford, Jeff Green, Zach Randolph, Ricky Rubio, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge, ERIC FREAKING GORDON!!).

With all that said (and my homerism stated above), I think the point about this season is that anything could happen. Even without any players getting injured, we could take it to the Boston 3-1 this season, off sheer development, talent, hustle, and luck. Or beat the Knicks, Nets, Hawks, showing everyone up on the court. Jason Terry and Jared Sullinger could bust, and Courtney Lee could play just like he has (invisibly [11ppg in 30 mpg]); the Knicks could continue to show that Melo and Amar'e can't coexist, especially with Raymond Felton running the show; D-Will's overpaid co-stars of JJ, Crash, Kardashian, and Robin's brother only moderately scare me (if nothing else, our bench >>>> their bench).

See, isn't it fun to be homeristically optimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I like us right now but if we can bring Barbosa back I think we'd be better off.
    Yeh, thinking about it, I don't really have a problem bringing Barbosa back. I don't see why not. Throw him something short and cheap, in case we need to cut a space for a necessary, accessible piece by the trade or FA(?) deadlines.
    Last edited by imbtyler; 08-12-2012 at 06:29 AM.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I really do not belive the Celtics are better than us this year and neither were they last year. I don't feel like Jason Terry is much of an upgrade at all over Ray Allen. Sure they deepened their big man depth, but I just don't see it.

The 76ers look to be improved, but Iguodala was a big part of what they did and Bynum is still kind of a question mark in this league. It will be interesting to see what he does as the main option. Time will tell how much they've improved.

The Nets are also a team that I think will not pan out like everyone thinks. They basically just added Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez is healthy, of course they will improve because they were one of the bottom-feeders of the league last year, but I think they are a 7-8 seed at best.

The Knicks are probably going to be the same old story. Talked about all year and hyped up because of off-season moves, but probably end up being a 4-5 seed at best.

The Hawks are a mystery at this point, they are looking like they got significantly worse, but they still have Horford and Smith so I think they'll be in there somewhere, but not towards the top.

The Bulls made some questionable off-season moves and without Derek Rose for most of the season I just don't see them contending for a top spot.

So to answer the question... I wouldn't mind a move if it is an obvious move that will make us better. I don't really wanna see us sign a guy just to sit at the end of the bench. I think the East is wide open this year and the only team that is going to be ahead of us for sure are the Heat.

I just do not agree with this at all. He was a very, very good player coming off the bench for us at the end of last season. He added much needed scoring off of the bench. He got injured before the playoffs and had trouble guarding Wade (who doesn't?) and now everyone thinks he is chopped liver.

I do agree that he helped down the stretch in regular season, but I'm not sure it makes me want him. back all that much. Very, very good player at this stage of his career? Don't think on a consistent basis. If they resigned for cheap, I would not be at all upset.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

As to the OP ?, certainly don't make a move to make a move. Preferably and add at this point somehow helps or improves. I'm not sure what's out there in the FA pool clearly does that, Barbosa included. So, I'd likely say keep spot open and hope to make a deal that truly does get a good piece.

However, if we must fill the last roster spot, I'm leaning towards Delfino. No, he's not a PF and I don't know how he'd get minutes, but I'd love to have a guy with his stroke around.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Rondo, Pierce and KG are better than anything the Pacers have, ad players like Green, Lee and their other players and they are better than the Pacers, maybe not regular season better but playoffs better for sure.

Rondo,Terry,Pierce,Bass and KG in the starting unit with Bradley, Lee, Green, Sullinger, Melo off the bench? No bad.
    Pierce and KG WERE better than anything the Pacers have but not anymore. They're hardly in their primes.

Rondo may be but 1 player does not a team make. Pacers are deeper and should be better than Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustinGrangerHill View Post
    do you think the Pacers should make an end of the bench move, I would like to get a decent Power Forward that can push Tyler for his spot.
    Miles Plumblee will push Tyler.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'd be fine with re-signing Barbosa for cheap. If we don't do that, I'm assuming we'll add a small forward.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Keep an eye on Houston. They have around 20 players right now, and it seems like half of them are PFs. They'll have to waive or trade a number of them now that the Dwight trade option is gone. I'd offer next year's first for Patterson, but I don't think Rockets will go for that.
    I am really interested to see how things shake out in Houston. Will Marcus Morris and/or Royce White play SF, for example? Will Terrence Jones beat out Patrick Patterson? I think a young, quality 3-4 would fit our needs perfectly.
    Last edited by DrFife; 08-12-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    Pierce and KG WERE better than anything the Pacers have but not anymore. They're hardly in their primes.

Rondo may be but 1 player does not a team make. Pacers are deeper and should be better than Boston.
    Huh? Pierce and KG are better than anyone the Pacers have right now. The Pacers are not deeper. Look at Boston's draft, the players they picked up and the players they get back from injury. They are far deeper and better than the Pacers right now. Like LA, they start three or four players who are better than any player the Pacers have..... This has been the case and it will be the case this year. Boston got much BETTER in the off season. They have a far better coach who most people consider one of the best in the game. The Pacers added some slightly better bench players. Boston and it isn't close..... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Tracy McGrady, Andray Blatche or Kenyon Martin. Any One of those guys would make total sense. Blatche especially. Pacers can turn this guy around, and Green especially can tell this guy that it's better to work your *** off in be in the NBA than playing in the NBDL. Pacers really need a PF that can challenge Hans for the backup spot. I'm tired of Hans getting so many free passes just because he's a first rounder and a guy like Lance doesn't get a fair shake (although Lance should get his chance this season).

Pendergraph has no talent. At least Blatche does and he'd be cheap, so low risk, high reward.
    Thank God your're not the GM for this team.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What? Read what I wrote again. We did not see Leandro Barbosa's best, and how could we? After all, Leandro Barbosa did not have training camp with this season and he was injured during the playoffs. However, Leandro Barbosa was a good player. If he was good while playing with a disadvantage, how could we not expect him to be better? I think Leandro Barbosa should be re-signed.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Huh? Pierce and KG are better than anyone the Pacers have right now. The Pacers are not deeper. Look at Boston's draft, the players they picked up and the players they get back from injury. They are far deeper and better than the Pacers right now. Like LA, they start three or four players who are better than any player the Pacers have..... This has been the case and it will be the case this year. Boston got much BETTER in the off season. They have a far better coach who most people consider one of the best in the game. The Pacers added some slightly better bench players. Boston and it isn't close..... ...
    sure whatever..this coming from the person that thought Luck was a bad pick.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    sure whatever..this coming from the person that thought Luck was a bad pick.
    I never thought Luck was a bad pick and I didn't say that. I did say that I thought RG3 might be the better QB. I still think that is possible but Luck looked damned good today even if it was a preseason game. I don't know how really bad the Rams are. I also said our best bet for a quick return to the SB would be to keep Peyton and use the draft and free agency to shore up the team around him. I still believe that is true. I have been more worried about the OL protecting him and I saw problems there today but he scrambled and got the ball off quickly to make up for it. He is going to have to do a lot of that.... ...

I'd say Pierce is marginally better than Granger, who I don't consider more than a solid NBA player. Garnett v. West is probably about a wash. Perhaps a slight nod to KG for better overall D and boards. But, the real difference between us and Boston is flat out R. Rondo. They have him and we don't.

-Emiliano Zapata

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I'd say Pierce is marginally better than Granger, who I don't consider more than a solid NBA player. Garnett v. West is probably about a wash. Perhaps a slight nod to KG for better overall D and boards. But, the real difference between us and Boston is flat out R. Rondo. They have him and we don't.
    What? Granger would not be allowed to carry Pierce's jock. The difference is between a decent starter and a perenial all star. Garnet versus West is even more lopsided. Garnett would clamp West down and West could do nothing on defense to slow KG. Both of Boston's players at those positions are on a completely different level than their counterparts on the Pacers. It is fun to think those thing but please try to keep some commonsense about it....... ...