Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

Default Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...rio/56975564/1 - credit to Bill Simmons for the link.

Seriously folks. Don't tell me that wouldn't be the most exciting event ever. Forget five on five at the Olympics. I don't even care. Three on three half court basketball? That would be amazing.

We've all grown up playing basketball and three on three is the game we've played the most. And it is truly a different game. Do you go big or small? Or a combination? Do the Gasol brothers annihilate everyone? Or does LBJ do the whole cheating "I'm better than everyone at everything" and win no matter what?

I'd love the fact that different players would become more important because of the difference in the game. For instance, (as much as I don't like him) I bet Kevin Love would be an absolute beast at 3v3. In full court ball rebounding is a team game. But the court is so spread in 3v3 that one guy can dominate the boards and just kill you.

If you have a team of Love/'Melo/Wade wouldn't that destroy any combination of players? Doesn't matter if Wade/Melo aren't hitting shots, Love has the boards and repeated putbacks.

Do you play make it take it??

Who's your best three???

Please world, MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

I think this is basically, well crap USA dominates 5 vs 5, lets try something else. This lets other countries get a chance at getting golds in this sort of competition. I think its kind of silly personally, and NBA players I doubt will really go for it, but that's just me.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

Pretty sure Lebron/Durant/Howard could crush Love/Melo/Wade, but yeah, 3v3 in the Olympics would be fantastic

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is basically, well crap USA dominates 5 vs 5, lets try something else. This lets other countries get a chance at getting golds in this sort of competition. I think its kind of silly personally, and NBA players I doubt will really go for it, but that's just me.
    I don't think that's the idea, and frankly I think the US would have even more of an advantage in 3x3 with its emphasis on individual skills.

I'd say that this is primarily aimed at developing more fans, especially younger folk with short attention spans, basically a quick and accessible way to get drawn into the sport with less of a time commitment.

I guess it's also a grassroots measure, and in truth lots of people already play some form of streetball or 3x3 alongside "full" basketball, so this is just formalizing the fact.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

The USA would definitely dominate much more at 3v3. Seriously. 3v3 encourages isolations and physicality. That plays right into the USA's hands all day.

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

By the way, just like they have volleyball and then beach volleyball, hopefully they'd have the 3 on 3 on an outdoor court.

Read it and weep:

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkster View Post
    Pretty sure Lebron/Durant/Howard could crush Love/Melo/Wade, but yeah, 3v3 in the Olympics would be fantastic
    Only because of LBJ. In 3v3 I think Melo would destroy Durant, and I think Love would destroy Howard. In a spread out half court game like 3 on 3 positioning and footwork is everything and I think Love would beat Howard on the boards consistently. Obviously Howard wouldn't be able to defend Love because of his three point shooting. So they'd only lose because LBJ would beat Wade like a rented mule.

Melo would be king in 3 on 3.

Read it and weep:

I should add this as well:

http://nyfwc.com/?p=5370

You might have heard by now, FIBA recently submitted an application the International Olympic Committee to include 3×3 basketball as an event at future Olympics.

FIBA has established four different world championships for 3×3; Men’s and Women’s “Seniors” and Men’s and Women’s Under-18’s.

Similarly to FIBA’s five on five tournaments, countries qualify via their respective Continental Zones, according to a pre-defined quota for each continent.

What you probably expected

We’re playing on a half court (thank god; screw anyone trying to play full court in a pick up game, for the record. It’s never happening again on my watch)
    1’s and 2’s people. The lines are the same as the international lines
    One man bench, four person team
    Substitutions can occur at any dead ball
    There are free throws, and they count for 1 point each
    Individual players have four fouls to give
    The ball has to be “cleared” beyond the 2-point line either via pass or by dribble after any change of possession which occurs inside the arc (None of this 1-foot clearance ******** either. Both feet outside the arc please)
    There are free throws, and they count for 1 point each
    Well that’s a bit surprising

The game begins with a coin flip to determine who will begin with the ball; especially significant because games are scheduled for only one period (the team that wins doesn’t actually have to take the ball to begin the game; they can elect to defer in order to have the rights to begin a potential overtime period with the ball)
    Individual players have four fouls to give
    A team goes into the penalty when they have seven fouls or more
    Non-Shooting fouls committed in the penalty result in a single foul shot
    Wait…WHAT!?!

There is a 12-second shot clock which begins whenever a ball changes hands
    IF A TEAM GETS TO 21 WITHIN REGULAR TIME IT ENDS THE GAME. (Holy ****, where are my shoes? This is awesome)
    In line with the previous shocking revelation – Overtime lasts…until one-team scores two points.

Read it and weep:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Screw CP3/Lebron/Howard or whatever BS the NBA wants to put out. Me/Todd/Tyler will backdoor those scrubs to death. Been running fools off the blacktop all over west central Indiana for years. No blood no foul Lebron.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quick reminders for people who've gotten old and fat and quit playing ball. Remember:

*Sometimes defense doesn't matter. Eeek. Remember someone can get really hot (think Melo) and it doesn't matter if you're getting easy buckets inside, if he decides to hit 8 threes in a row, you're sunk!
    *Great rebounders will end up with every board. You know how they know where the ball is going to be? Well they're going to get to that spot and seal you off every time. For easy offensive boardsd!
    *Those dudes who kill NBA offenses by being non-passing isolating ******** thrive in 3 on 3 lol

Read it and weep:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

mattie has clearly never played at Lincoln Park. know the deadspots on those backboards like the back of my hand. you're 6'8, i'm 5'8, i get homecourt.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NBA players will never take part in this. It's street ball.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brilliant idea, they should also remove the basketball, arm them with sabres, and see who can hop 150m backwards the fastest.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willbo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
    Brilliant idea, they should also remove the basketball, arm them with sabres, and see who can hop 150m backwards the fastest.
    haha this made me laugh out loud visualizing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    NBA players will never take part in this. It's street ball.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    By the way, just like they have volleyball and then beach volleyball, hopefully they'd have the 3 on 3 on an outdoor court.
    On sand. Now you're talking.

And to make it even more "Olympic", when someone gets to 10 both teams have to then swim a 3 man medley relay (butterfly, back, freestyle), and then when one team gets to 21 they both take 10 air rifle shots with each player with bonus misses per point won-by in the basketball game. Lowest combined time of the swim and shooting (with penalties for misses beyond the allowed limit) = win.

Also this would be women.

Also they would be in bikinis.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Only if it is 1/2 court and the loser bracket plays for the Toilet Bowl.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    The USA would definitely dominate much more at 3v3. Seriously. 3v3 encourages isolations and physicality. That plays right into the USA's hands all day.

Agreed.

It's fun to play 3v3 basketball. I think it would be really boring to watch it, especially if it's only played in the half-court.

While it might be fun, this would make it even easier for team USA to dominate. Wade, Lebron, Bosh for the 3 v 3 USA team, already have team chemistry and would still kick the crap out of everyone.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

The ultimate in Olympic sports. A game where anyone with a hot hand on a given day can come out with first possession and shoot lights out from the perimeter and win, especially if the officials decide to take the physicality out of the equation with some cheap foul calls. Roy could even lead Jamaica to victory if he were to get hot with his skyhook with that much room to operate.

I disagree. The big advantage USA has is depth. This eliminates that. And I strongly suspect we won't actually get Kobe/Lebron/Durant if they are already on the 5 on 5 team. Heck, a German team with Dirk could win a game to 21 by having him just shoot threes.

This is ridiculous. Why not H-O-R-S-E too? And rock-paper-scissors.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Then they could add the table top football. You know, with the piece of paper folded into a triangle, and you use your thumbs and hands for the goal-posts.

Hey, if they can have 3-meter and 10-meter diving AND sychronized diving; tons of swimming events plus synchronized swimming; gymnastics AND rhythmic gymnastics; wrestling AND greco-roman wrestling; THREE types of equestrian and FOUR types of cycling, why can't we have two types of a sport that most people care about?

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rock-paper-scissors isn't competitive enough. It would have to be rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post: