Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

  1. #1
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...rio/56975564/1 - credit to Bill Simmons for the link.

    Seriously folks. Don't tell me that wouldn't be the most exciting event ever. Forget five on five at the Olympics. I don't even care. Three on three half court basketball? That would be amazing.

    We've all grown up playing basketball and three on three is the game we've played the most. And it is truly a different game. Do you go big or small? Or a combination? Do the Gasol brothers annihilate everyone? Or does LBJ do the whole cheating "I'm better than everyone at everything" and win no matter what?

    I'd love the fact that different players would become more important because of the difference in the game. For instance, (as much as I don't like him) I bet Kevin Love would be an absolute beast at 3v3. In full court ball rebounding is a team game. But the court is so spread in 3v3 that one guy can dominate the boards and just kill you.

    If you have a team of Love/'Melo/Wade wouldn't that destroy any combination of players? Doesn't matter if Wade/Melo aren't hitting shots, Love has the boards and repeated putbacks.

    Do you play make it take it??

    Who's your best three???

    Please world, MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,118
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    I think this is basically, well crap USA dominates 5 vs 5, lets try something else. This lets other countries get a chance at getting golds in this sort of competition. I think its kind of silly personally, and NBA players I doubt will really go for it, but that's just me.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:


  5. #3

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Pretty sure Lebron/Durant/Howard could crush Love/Melo/Wade, but yeah, 3v3 in the Olympics would be fantastic

  6. #4
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,246

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is basically, well crap USA dominates 5 vs 5, lets try something else. This lets other countries get a chance at getting golds in this sort of competition. I think its kind of silly personally, and NBA players I doubt will really go for it, but that's just me.
    I don't think that's the idea, and frankly I think the US would have even more of an advantage in 3x3 with its emphasis on individual skills.

    I'd say that this is primarily aimed at developing more fans, especially younger folk with short attention spans, basically a quick and accessible way to get drawn into the sport with less of a time commitment.

    I guess it's also a grassroots measure, and in truth lots of people already play some form of streetball or 3x3 alongside "full" basketball, so this is just formalizing the fact.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    The USA would definitely dominate much more at 3v3. Seriously. 3v3 encourages isolations and physicality. That plays right into the USA's hands all day.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  9. #6
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    By the way, just like they have volleyball and then beach volleyball, hopefully they'd have the 3 on 3 on an outdoor court.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  10. #7
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurkster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure Lebron/Durant/Howard could crush Love/Melo/Wade, but yeah, 3v3 in the Olympics would be fantastic
    Only because of LBJ. In 3v3 I think Melo would destroy Durant, and I think Love would destroy Howard. In a spread out half court game like 3 on 3 positioning and footwork is everything and I think Love would beat Howard on the boards consistently. Obviously Howard wouldn't be able to defend Love because of his three point shooting. So they'd only lose because LBJ would beat Wade like a rented mule.

    Melo would be king in 3 on 3.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  11. #8
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    I should add this as well:

    http://nyfwc.com/?p=5370

    You might have heard by now, FIBA recently submitted an application the International Olympic Committee to include 3×3 basketball as an event at future Olympics.

    FIBA has established four different world championships for 3×3; Men’s and Women’s “Seniors” and Men’s and Women’s Under-18’s.

    Similarly to FIBA’s five on five tournaments, countries qualify via their respective Continental Zones, according to a pre-defined quota for each continent.

    What you probably expected

    We’re playing on a half court (thank god; screw anyone trying to play full court in a pick up game, for the record. It’s never happening again on my watch)
    1’s and 2’s people. The lines are the same as the international lines
    One man bench, four person team
    Substitutions can occur at any dead ball
    There are free throws, and they count for 1 point each
    Individual players have four fouls to give
    The ball has to be “cleared” beyond the 2-point line either via pass or by dribble after any change of possession which occurs inside the arc (None of this 1-foot clearance ******** either. Both feet outside the arc please)
    There are free throws, and they count for 1 point each
    Well that’s a bit surprising

    The game begins with a coin flip to determine who will begin with the ball; especially significant because games are scheduled for only one period (the team that wins doesn’t actually have to take the ball to begin the game; they can elect to defer in order to have the rights to begin a potential overtime period with the ball)
    Individual players have four fouls to give
    A team goes into the penalty when they have seven fouls or more
    Non-Shooting fouls committed in the penalty result in a single foul shot
    Wait…WHAT!?!

    There is a 12-second shot clock which begins whenever a ball changes hands
    IF A TEAM GETS TO 21 WITHIN REGULAR TIME IT ENDS THE GAME. (Holy ****, where are my shoes? This is awesome)
    In line with the previous shocking revelation – Overtime lasts…until one-team scores two points.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  12. #9
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,342

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Screw CP3/Lebron/Howard or whatever BS the NBA wants to put out. Me/Todd/Tyler will backdoor those scrubs to death. Been running fools off the blacktop all over west central Indiana for years. No blood no foul Lebron.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quick reminders for people who've gotten old and fat and quit playing ball. Remember:

    *Sometimes defense doesn't matter. Eeek. Remember someone can get really hot (think Melo) and it doesn't matter if you're getting easy buckets inside, if he decides to hit 8 threes in a row, you're sunk!
    *Great rebounders will end up with every board. You know how they know where the ball is going to be? Well they're going to get to that spot and seal you off every time. For easy offensive boardsd!
    *Those dudes who kill NBA offenses by being non-passing isolating ******** thrive in 3 on 3 lol
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

    Read it and weep:

    When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

  15. #11
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,342

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    mattie has clearly never played at Lincoln Park. know the deadspots on those backboards like the back of my hand. you're 6'8, i'm 5'8, i get homecourt.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,952

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    NBA players will never take part in this. It's street ball.

  18. #13
    Game over man Willbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    194
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Brilliant idea, they should also remove the basketball, arm them with sabres, and see who can hop 150m backwards the fastest.
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willbo For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,979

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Willbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brilliant idea, they should also remove the basketball, arm them with sabres, and see who can hop 150m backwards the fastest.
    haha this made me laugh out loud visualizing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  21. #15
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NBA players will never take part in this. It's street ball.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the way, just like they have volleyball and then beach volleyball, hopefully they'd have the 3 on 3 on an outdoor court.
    On sand. Now you're talking.

    And to make it even more "Olympic", when someone gets to 10 both teams have to then swim a 3 man medley relay (butterfly, back, freestyle), and then when one team gets to 21 they both take 10 air rifle shots with each player with bonus misses per point won-by in the basketball game. Lowest combined time of the swim and shooting (with penalties for misses beyond the allowed limit) = win.

    Also this would be women.

    Also they would be in bikinis.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,263
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Only if it is 1/2 court and the loser bracket plays for the Toilet Bowl.

  26. #18
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The USA would definitely dominate much more at 3v3. Seriously. 3v3 encourages isolations and physicality. That plays right into the USA's hands all day.

    Agreed.

    It's fun to play 3v3 basketball. I think it would be really boring to watch it, especially if it's only played in the half-court.

  27. #19
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    While it might be fun, this would make it even easier for team USA to dominate. Wade, Lebron, Bosh for the 3 v 3 USA team, already have team chemistry and would still kick the crap out of everyone.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  28. #20
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,556
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    The ultimate in Olympic sports. A game where anyone with a hot hand on a given day can come out with first possession and shoot lights out from the perimeter and win, especially if the officials decide to take the physicality out of the equation with some cheap foul calls. Roy could even lead Jamaica to victory if he were to get hot with his skyhook with that much room to operate.


  29. #21

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    I disagree. The big advantage USA has is depth. This eliminates that. And I strongly suspect we won't actually get Kobe/Lebron/Durant if they are already on the 5 on 5 team. Heck, a German team with Dirk could win a game to 21 by having him just shoot threes.

  30. #22
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,244

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    This is ridiculous. Why not H-O-R-S-E too? And rock-paper-scissors.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:


  32. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,731

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is ridiculous. Why not H-O-R-S-E too? And rock-paper-scissors.
    Then they could add the table top football. You know, with the piece of paper folded into a triangle, and you use your thumbs and hands for the goal-posts.

  33. #24
    Member Smits Happens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is ridiculous. Why not H-O-R-S-E too? And rock-paper-scissors.
    Hey, if they can have 3-meter and 10-meter diving AND sychronized diving; tons of swimming events plus synchronized swimming; gymnastics AND rhythmic gymnastics; wrestling AND greco-roman wrestling; THREE types of equestrian and FOUR types of cycling, why can't we have two types of a sport that most people care about?

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:


  35. #25
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,550

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Things that make me giddy: Three on three basketball at the Olympics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is ridiculous. Why not H-O-R-S-E too? And rock-paper-scissors.
    Rock-paper-scissors isn't competitive enough. It would have to be rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Sources: Griffin a near-lock to make Olympics [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 12:50 AM
  2. FIBA Wants 3 on 3 Basketball in the Olympics
    By Ransom in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
  3. Things in the NBA that make you laugh
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
  4. Things that make you go hmmmmmm
    By tora tora in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:53 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •