Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

I think it is actually a good trade for Orlando, they got 3 first round picks! Shed a bad contract and poised themselves to rebuild for the future. They are a small market and they have to do what they have to do. They could have taken everything NJ threw at them or this...I think this is probably better. Not to mention Al Harrington and Afflalo will be respectable.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA isn't losing fans after the recent so called "super team" trend. They're gaining them. In droves. You may not like it, but the public absolutely loves it. This won't hurt the NBA's reputation in any way, shape, or form.
    I'd speculate that they're just gaining more fans of the superteams than they are losing fans of small market teams. So while the number of fans total is going up, the people who actually enjoyed the NBA is going down, and they have more "casual fans" now.

Naptown Born and Raised Blackhawk4's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    I'd speculate that they're just gaining more fans of the superteams than they are losing fans of small market teams. So while the number of fans total is going up, the people who actually enjoyed the NBA is going down, and they have more "casual fans" now.
    As long as the NBA is getting more $$$ every year, I sadly doubt they care what type of fan they get.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackhawk4 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I edited my post. I was referring to bynum who will gain 40 million more by waiting to sign as a free agent...

The NBA is just.... ridiculous.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'll admit it: I'm jealous of Lakers fans. Can you imagine having your favorite team go through guys like Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Bynum, Gasol, and Dwight? Unbelievable. And that's just their centers.
    It would nice if that organization could develop their own great big man for once (and no I don't count Bynum). I'm getting tired of them stealing everyone else's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    At least he's out of the East, but I hate to see him end up on the Lakers.

However, Roy Hibbert has to be smiling. And yes, I think he can take Bynum.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'll admit it: I'm jealous of Lakers fans. Can you imagine having your favorite team go through guys like Mikan, Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Bynum, Gasol, and Dwight? Unbelievable. And that's just their centers.
    Yup, and I'm loving it. I get to watch the Pacers and Lakers hopefully dominate their respective conference. And a Pacers v Lakers NBA final? I'd be in heaven haha

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I can argue that those players even though they are in declined together make a badass team.
    I did forget about Antawn Jamison. They ARE a nice team on paper. I still think OKC and the Miami LeBrons are better teams...

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I never understand the infatuation with Bynum. He's good when he's not being a pouty baby which is like 50% of the time. Also, the double teams will come a lot more when he's not playing with Kobe or Gasol and is his team's primary scoring option. We'll see on this one.

The biggest step with the Lakers is who has the ball more often, Nash, or Kobe? If it's Nash, how does Kobe feel about that?

That's going to be huge.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    The NBA isn't losing fans after the recent so called "super team" trend. They're gaining them. In droves. You may not like it, but the public absolutely loves it. This won't hurt the NBA's reputation in any way, shape, or form.
    Majority of them aren't actually basketball fans, theyre just front runners. Once the show is over down there, most of them will disappear. You are right though, the NBA doesn't care as long as they are making money off of it.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

This is still premature...the teams have to call the NBA tomorrow to get their approval...we saw what happened to the CP3 deal...

A source tells Marc Stein that a trade call has been scheduled with the NBA league office for Friday morning.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...Friday_Morning

NBA could reject the trade...it seems to good to be true for the Lakers...Lakers are reported to be traded away Bynum and a 1st rounder...we could do better by offering Granger, Hibbert and first rounder (which would have been rejected by the Magic)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

I never understand the infatuation with Bynum. He's good when he's not being a pouty baby which is like 50% of the time. Also, the double teams will come a lot more when he's not playing with Kobe or Gasol and is his team's primary scoring option. We'll see on this one.
    Who on the 76ers roster is gonna keep this guy in check? Doug Collins I guess.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Haywoode Workman View Post
    *intents and purposes
    You know, I always liked you as a player Haywoode... And you had the opportunity to call me an idiot and then correct me, but you didn't... You're a good man... I am not sure why my first thought was **** you! Just kidding bro, edited.

Mood

Sports Logo

The infatuation with him is that if he can get his act together and not be childish he easily will continue to be the 2nd best center in the NBA. He might never be called the best center in the NBA by a majority of people, but he has the ability to clearly make himself the #2 center in the NBA and by a wide margin. It's all about maturity with him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    Which I think hurts them in the long run. When the casual fan draw is gone in a few years(L.A, Miami, etc)... the die hard small market fan bases that were disullisioned by their players jetting won't be there either. Hence, the only way for the NBA to be popular again is to have some big casual fan draw. I think we saw this after Jordan and the 90's with the early 2000's lack of interest in the NBA. The NBA has dug itself a hole where it needs the big show in order to survive and that's why I think there isn't going to be a rule change to fix what we currently see.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    The biggest step with the Lakers is who has the ball more often, Nash, or Kobe? If it's Nash, how does Kobe feel about that?

That's going to be huge.

I'm sure 34 year old Kobe will be just fine with it. It might have been an issue with a 28 year old Kobe, but old Kobe will be just fine with letting Nash take over much of that task.

Good lord this LA team is stacked. The fact that they get to keep Gasol is huge. It looks like we may finally see that Kobe/Lebron Finals matchup that many have long wanted. Can you imagine the ratings that a Heat/Lakers finals would generate? Kobe, Nash, Howard, Gasol, Lebron, Wade, Bosh. It would just be obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This is still premature...the teams have to call the NBA tomorrow to get their approval...we saw what happened to the CP3 deal...

NBA could reject the trade...it seems to good to be true for the Lakers...Lakers are reported to be traded away Bynum and a 1st rounder...we could do better by offering Granger, Hibbert and first rounder (which would have been rejected by the Magic)
    David Stern isn't the de facto owner/GM of one of these teams. There won't be any "basketball reasons" stopping this deal.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

I might be the only one on this thread who's interested in seeing what impact Iggy will have on the Nuggets. He isn't the pure scorer they need but he'll make them that much more entertaining to watch. Nuggets should be a fun team this year with guys like Iggy, Faried and McGee.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solomon Grundy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Championship ratings have been going back up, but the regular season has been declining. Why? Because fans of small market teams no longer give a ****. A huge part of that is these players refusing to play for small market teams. I haven't noticed this problem in any other sport, at least not on anything close to the same scale.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

the league rejected that trade because they owned the Hornets and were responsible for running that organization.
    they can't reject a trade because it makes some team better.

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    The Championship ratings have been going back up, but the regular season has been declining. Why? Because fans of small market teams no longer give a ****. A huge part of that is these players refusing to play for small market teams. I haven't noticed this problem in any other sport, at least not on anything close to the same scale.
    Baseball might have something to say to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Can you imagine the ratings that a Heat/Lakers finals would generate? Kobe, Nash, Howard, Gasol, Lebron, Wade, Bosh. It would just be obscene.
    Count me as 1 household that would not be tuned in.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Banned

I still can't believe that Philly got the second best center in the NBA for Iguadola, damn.