Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 266

Thread: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

  1. #126
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,318

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't know. I like Vucevic, but he still hasn't proven much, and he displayed quite a bit of softness too.
    there are issues and risks with Bynum, but all of them are fairly reasonable.
    so basically Iggy and 3 mid-late #1s. for a marginal superstar center coming off his best year who's also more than 3 years younger.
    Meh, guess it depends on how you value the guys involved, I like Iggy a helluva lot, see Vucevic as an eventual upper tier backup 5 that can give quality minutes, and Harkless reminds me a bit of PG. I do think Philly would still win if it was Bynum for that package, but it's at least a fair offer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Nuggets have slowly became my second favorite team (although a distant 2cd.) I do see Iggy as an immediate upgrade but either I see a lot more potential in Affalo then others on here or a lot less in Iggy. The Nuggets are very young and Affalo is still an improving talent in the league who should peak at the same time as the rest of their young core. Iggy has declined each of the past 4 years and I don't think he'll be the player Affalo will be in 2 years when the Nuggets might be at a point of competing. I certainly don't see this as a Nuggets win. It's a short term gain long term loss for them. It's the exact opposite of what they did in moving Nene.
    As a closet fan, I hate this move for the Nuggets. I'll be very interested in how a few of my local friends who are big Nuggets fans will be taking this.
    Afflalo'll be 27 by next season, not sure how much growing he has left to do.

  2. #127
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,318

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Magic beat writer says "Duhon's definitely in the deal"

    https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/s...16075367088128

  3. #128

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Magic just sent another "best big man" to the Lakers!

  4. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lakers --- another huge g-- d--- impossible trade that lands them a superstar, F them...
    Sixers --- I'm sorry, but Bynum is one of the most immature guys in the league... he's going to implode without some big Kobe-like egos to keep him in check, he's a timebomb waiting to happen. I predict horrible attitude and a steady decline from him from this point forward...
    Orlando --- they're probly just happy to be rid of Howard, got a lot towards their future.
    Nuggets --- I like Iggy, he's the one true porn star of this entire orgy ('sides Howard)
    Bynum is going to thrive in Philly. He is the second best center in the League and the sixers just got a LOT better. In fact, they just passed the Pacers...... ... .
    Last edited by OlBlu; 08-10-2012 at 09:29 AM.

  5. #130
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,345

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if the above is true. Basically, NBA popularity has been a bit in the crapper since Jordan retired (and the 1998-1999 lockout and subsequent horrible labor negotiations by the idiotic Stern). The NBA finals viewing figures are still less now than 1982, which is to say, bad, and the NHL averages more people at a game than the NBA. (In fact NBA is now fifth in the USA behind the NFL, MLB, MLS and the NHL).

    The NBA is losing money, has pretty poor attendance, a poor public image, is covered in controversy for poor refing favoring stars and large market teams, has lower TV viewing figures than it did when it was considered in the crapper 30 years ago, and an incompetent maniacal *** as an overseer. I don't think fans are returning in droves.

    However, I still find myself addicted to the Pacers (however if the Pacers aren't playing, I don't watch it)
    1st, and most importantly, the NBA is not losing money. Not at all. Not even close.

    To your other points, the ratings are lowing than in 1982 because there are exponentially more options now. The fall of the NBA popularity post-Jordan was not because of the lockout. It was because it was post-Jordan. Fans love stars. Fans love star teams. That is why the NBA was so popular in the late 80's. It's not a coincedence that it happened to revolve around the Magic-era Lakers and Bird-era Celtics. Those were the very epitome of "super teams".

    Saying the NBA is 5th in popularity is just blantantly false. The NHL is not more popular than the NBA. Their total attendance at games is very slightly higher (182 a game) simply because Canadians are crazy. Comparing the NBA's attendance to to outdoor sports is just misleading. Of course they have better attendance. Their stadiums dwarf a basketball arena. But the NBA is only behind the NFL in television viewers. Everybody recognizes the NFL is king in this country. But the NBA has passed the MLB for second. The NHL a is distant, distant 4th and the MLS is even further down the totem pole.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 08-10-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  7. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Nateorade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/82...-deal-complete

    Wanted to post because I didn't see it anywhere else. Bynum is a 76er now...

    Thoughts on how it affects us?
    We move down one more spot in the East....... ...

  8. #132
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    I can see why Howard wasn't traded to the Nets. Lopez just isn't that good and is paid a lot. Humphries, while good, isn't an impact player and is paid a lot. So you'd have two above average guys getting paid quite a bit that would never take you anywhere.

    Seriously, Houston was throwing just about their whole roster out there to get Howard. I just don't understand how that wasn't the trade. All I can think of is that the Magic owner has a boner for the Lakers, cause that trade made no sense for the Magic.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  9. #133

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much better is Howard than Bynum? Howard is much better defensively. offensively they are about equal, although Bynum is probably better. Lakers are a little better, but they still cannot guard the Thunder.
    This is the one thing that that I wonder about. Though I think Howard will benefit playing with Gasol and Nash feeding him the ball and drawing defensive attention. Heck even Kobe may benefit him, he can get more offensive rebounds *rimshot*

  10. #134
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopburners View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magic just sent another "best big man" to the Lakers!
    Well, the Magic didn't trade Shaq if that is what you are implying. I had to look that up too cause I thought that. He just signed with the Lakers. But not getting anything for Shaq was also stupid. Magic are just a horribly run team. All you had to do was get some decent players to surround Howard and they kept putting a pile of **** around him.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  11. #135
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,186
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much better is Howard than Bynum? Howard is much better defensively. offensively they are about equal, although Bynum is probably better. Lakers are a little better, but they still cannot guard the Thunder.
    Howard has dealt with an Allen Iverson or Lebron James (Cleveland) type scenario his whole career. He's taken very mediocre teams besides him, and brought them to the NBA Finals once, and ECF at least once as well. Bynum has had Kobe his whole career so it will be interesting how he does being the man now, almost assured it won't be as good as Dwight. Bynum might slightly be better offensively, but Howard is many times better the defensive player.

    I agree they can't stop Westbrook and Durant still. It'll be fun to see Thunder/Lakers WCF or whenever they meet in playoffs (baring injuries of course). Clippers aren't ready to make that step yet, nor is Memphis or Denver, and the Spurs' door was just about shut by the Thunder last season.

    1. Thunder
    2. Lakers
    3. Spurs
    4. Clippers
    5. Grizzlies
    6. Nuggets
    7. Jazz (crap, it starts getting really bad here)
    8. Mavs, but I could see 4 other teams here; Minnesota, Portland, New Orleans (if rookies do really well), Golden State

    Suns, Kings, Rockets would surprise me if in contention
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  12. #136
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    David Stern must have the biggest smile. Lakers are almost a shoe-in for the finals with Nash, Kobe, Paul and Howard. I know Paul, Nash and Kobe are older, but those guys know how to take care of themselves and are fierce competitors.

    My only hope is OKC.

    Lakers vs Pacers final again?
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  13. #137
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,779

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bynum is going to thrive in Philly. He is the second best center in the League and the sixers just got a LOT better. In fact, they just passed the Pacers...... ... .
    Ya, we'll see about that. I disagree wholeheartedly that he's the 2nd best center. He may be the 2nd most gifted, but he's a headcase that won't reach his potential and now he won't have Kobe to check him:

    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-10-2012 at 09:45 AM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  14. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    I love the "small market team" excuse, again is not the Lakers fault small teams don't have the cojones to make anything happen, Cleveland had a chance to get Bynum but they didn't want to give up a pick or Zeller for him, "poor small market team", the Pacers had a bunch of money to make s*** happen but decided to use all their money to sign their own players and "fix the bench", "poor small market team", Denver was smart and turned Affalo and Harrington into Iguadola, "they are just lucky".

    I remember Steven A saying that "small market teams" love to use the "small market team" card so they don't have the pressure to do anything, reading this thread and previous ones tells me that many fans buy this BS.

  15. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    By they way Perkins just became more valuable to OKC, he is one of the few guys in the league that are able to guard Howard one on one.

  16. #140
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,779

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We move down one more spot in the East....... ...
    Not. They lost Iggy, and Hibbert matches up well with Bynum. Indy still 2nd best in the East.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  18. #141
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously, Houston was throwing just about their whole roster out there to get Howard. I just don't understand how that wasn't the trade. All I can think of is that the Magic owner has a boner for the Lakers, cause that trade made no sense for the Magic.
    maybe they weren't offering that much. i don't remember, was there any specific rumor of what Houston was offering?
    considering the money they spent on Asik, it probably wasn't an all-in for Morey.

  19. #142
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not. They lost Iggy, and Hibbert matches up well with Bynum. Indy still 2nd best in the East.
    Is OlBlu even a Pacers fan? Dude is ridiculous.

    Pacers and Celts will be fighting for 2 and 3.

    who do the 76ers have? Bynum is going to be a #1 option now? That is not smart. Turner certainly isn't a #1 option nor is Holiday. Nick Young, one of the most inneffecient scorers? Blah, that team just lost the guy that kept the glue together.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  20. #143
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    maybe they weren't offering that much. i don't remember, was there any specific rumor of what Houston was offering?
    considering the money they spent on Asik, it probably wasn't an all-in for Morey.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...ase-luis-scola

    The article doesn't specifically say, other than Houston has dangled a potential lottery pick acquired for Lowry and some young players.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  22. #144
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is OlBlu even a Pacers fan? Dude is ridiculous.

    Pacers and Celts will be fighting for 2 and 3.

    who do the 76ers have? Bynum is going to be a #1 option now? That is not smart. Turner certainly isn't a #1 option nor is Holiday. Nick Young, one of the most inneffecient scorers? Blah, that team just lost the guy that kept the glue together.
    The main thing I am picturing, is what does that team look like when Bynum misses 40 games? The Lakers had the talent to get to the playoffs without him, and hope he was healthy during that time.

    In Philly? If he misses 40 games, I don't know how they can win 15 of them. Nobody on that team besides Bynum can score.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  24. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The main thing I am picturing, is what does that team look like when Bynum misses 40 games? The Lakers had the talent to get to the playoffs without him, and hope he was healthy during that time.

    In Philly? If he misses 40 games, I don't know how they can win 15 of them. Nobody on that team besides Bynum can score.
    Yeah that's my only issue with Bynum, I'm not sure how healthy he is going to be, he needs to get some type of lubricant in his knees every six months.

  25. #146
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,431

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah that's my only issue with Bynum, I'm not sure how healthy he is going to be, he needs to get some type of lubricant in his knees every six months.
    Heh, lube.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

  26. #147
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,973

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Did Orlando simply pass on Bynum because he wouldn't sign an extension with them?

    Also, as said, I'm interested to see how Bynum fares when he sees a lot more defenses without Kobe and Gasol there to keep defenses honest. He has a chance to either sink or swim as the guy now.

    Regarding the Lakers, no doubt they've improved, but I'd like to see them add an athletic 3 on that roster (in the Trevor Ariza mold) they once had. I just think that backcourt is aging, and they could use some athleticism on the wings where Artest and Jamison simply don't get it done at this point. You're going to need some if you want to hang with the Durants and LeBrons of the world.

  27. #148
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,053

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Championship ratings have been going back up, but the regular season has been declining. Why? Because fans of small market teams no longer give a ****. A huge part of that is these players refusing to play for small market teams. I haven't noticed this problem in any other sport, at least not on anything close to the same scale.
    Pacer ratings were up last year.

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @WojYahooNBA: Final Nets offer Orlando rejected in July: Lopez, Humphries (1 year, $9.6M), Brooks, 4 unprotected No. 1's for Howard, JRich, Duhon, Clark.


    Amazing.
    Wow. They rejected that deal and people are saying the Pacers could have been a player?

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dear Kevin Pritchard,

    You're supposed to be the trade master! You couldn't get us anything for Tyler Hansbrough or something?!

    Sincerely,
    btyler
    You have to be kidding, right? You aren't possibly equating Tyler to Iggy in terms of trade value?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bynum is going to thrive in Philly. He is the second best center in the League and the sixers just got a LOT better. In fact, they just passed the Pacers...... ... .
    Not sure I understand this. They got better in the middle and worse at the wing. How does that leapfrog them 3 places in the East?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  29. #149
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,977

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Joke of a trade for orlando.
    Seriously. The Nets package was wayyyyyyyy better. The Nets offered 4 unprotected picks along with Lopez according to Lopez. And they opted for this? It doesn't make any sense.

    Oh well. This move is not good for the NBA but at least it's good for us that Howard is headed to the West.

  30. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Dwight Howard Traded to Lakers

    Not sure I understand this. They got better in the middle and worse at the wing. How does that leapfrog them 3 places in the East?
    I expect Turner to replace Iguadola just fine, Philly is just missing a power forward, a healthy Bynum as the main weapon is going to average close to 25 ppg and 11rpg.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM
  2. Lakers want Dwight Howard and Chris Paul | ESPN
    By 1984 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
  3. Dwight Howard
    By pacergod2 in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 09:12 PM
  4. Dwight Howard
    By vapacersfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-20-2011, 02:55 AM
  5. Dwight Howard...
    By Kid Minneapolis in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •