Thread: Area 55 / PacerDigest Lee Eddins Memorial Fund?

Threaded View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lightbulb Area 55 / PacerDigest Lee Eddins Memorial Fund?

Hi everyone.

So we've all seen in the "Roy Hibbert is a class act" thread that Lee Eddins, the 12 year old boy who loved Roy Hibbert and was terminally ill with Leukemia, passed away while Roy was boarding a plane to go visit him as his dying wish. Just a terrible, tragic story that has truly touched my heart.

It got me to thinking... Area 55 auditions are rolling around again. I've been brainstorming ways to "out-do" my 2 previous 15 minute long joke-entries, and had a few ideas. But honestly, after reading about this story and what Lee's family and Roy are going through... It all seems so pointless to be doing something "funny" instead of something helpful.

So here is my idea for my Area 55 audition tape, as well as a memorial fund.

Instead of the normal silly shenanigans, I'd like to dedicate my audition to Lee and to his memory. Since it's obviously very important to Roy that his memory and his causes be remembered and well taken care of, I thought perhaps I could also start some sort of fund for either Leukemia research, the Eddins family, or whatever is appropriate.

My thought was that I would donate $55 dollars to (whichever) charity up front, and then donate 55 cents to the charity for every made Free-Throw that Roy hits all season, and perhaps $5.50 for every Pacers playoff win or something like that. Based on Roy's previous FT #'s, this will probably work out to be around $100 donated via the Free Throw makes, and HOPEFULLY quite a bit more from the playoff wins!

But where I think this memorial could really go viral is if others in Area 55 and PacersDigest will pledge to take part as well. Who known, maybe we could get the Pacers and FSI involved as well?

I don't want any credit or acknowledgment for doing this. I love the Pacers and Roy, and would be very happy to continue making silly Area 55 videos for the next decade. But this just feels like a "Bigger" impact type thing to do. I don't have tons of money, so I can't really pledge big bucks or anything, frankly the 150-200 dollars from my ideas above is a huge stretch for us... But it also feels like the right thing to do.

So, how do you all feel about this? Good idea? Bad idea?

If I can get a good number of people to jump on board I'll begin looking at making plans to go-ahead with it for my Area 55 video and beyond.

RIP Lee.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post: