Thread: What's the vibe on Jerian Grant and Cameron Payne?

Default What's the vibe on Jerian Grant and Cameron Payne?

I am just checking to see what everyone thinks of Jerian Grant and Cameron Payne. I know we had them both in for workouts. Are they both too much of a reach? Will either of them pan out? If we pass on them will either be brought up in a few years on this board about how we should have drafted them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What's the vibe on Jerian Grant and Cameron Payne?

I don't know a lot about Grant and I know even less about Payne, but that isn't going to stop me from giving my opinion.

I don't either one is good enough to be selected at #11, however, I think Grant is going to be a pretty good player. Payne, I have no clue.

I like Grant, but I think he projects as a backup pg, at least early in his career. I don't think Bird wants a backup pg at pick #11. I don't know much about Payne either
    David "And One" West

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Payne a lot more than Grant.

Jerian Grant was my favorite player in college basketball, and is probably my favorite prospect (not the best, just my favorite). What I like about him most is that he's a flat out winner. He makes winning plays, he's unselfish, and he's a great decision maker.

A lot of people won't like the comparison, but he's a lot like Lance Stephenson. He's a little shorter, but I think Grant is quicker whereas Lance is stronger and faster. They share the same best qualities: great court vision, height to see over defenders, great timing and precision on passes, and great scoring instincts. But Jerian doesn't have Lance's baggage. Jerian isn't as herky-jerky as Lance but he doesn't have to be. He has a quicker first step. Lance is a far superior rebounder, but (strangely) Jerian is more physical. If I have any knocks on Jerian, it's that he's too unselfish at times, and I'm not sold on his 3 pt shooting or defense, though he's not terrible.

I don't know a ton about Payne, but I've watched a couple hours of game footage. Aside from his actual skills, the first thing that stands out to me is that he's a great teammate and he's passionate about the game. And in interviews he has an optimistic/happy temperament, similar to Paul George. The only reason I bring it up is because it really stands out and it looks like his teammates love playing with him, and that's important to have as a point guard.

As a player he appears to have very good court vision and he's a crafty scorer. He has a great floater that reminds me of Tony Parker. A ton of his offense is from the floater and shooting off the dribble from pick and rolls. His shooting mechanics are bad, and he drifts left and right like crazy when he shoots (just like Brandon Jennings, who he reminds me of). I'm absolutely puzzled by this: his teammates aren't good, so between the poor shooting mechanics, the high shooting volume, and being the focus of opponents, his shooting percentages should be much lower. I was expecting to see around 40%, so I was stunned to see that he was at 45%. I think that's a great sign.

By far, my two biggest concerns about him are size and quickness. He makes up for quickness with his very good dribble and low center of gravity. But his size concerns me. He measures about an inch shorter than George Hill with a 2" shorter wingspan, but nearly identical weight and standing reach. But I don't think he's even close to as athletic as George Hill, and doesn't appear to be as strong, so I think he could possibly struggle defensively.

TL;DR version: I think Grant would be a great fit for our starting lineup next to George Hill. And I'm incredibly intrigued by Payne. Ultimately, I think Payne brings more to the table for our team, and I'd love to see George Hill slide to the 2 and play alongside Payne.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

No thanks to either one. Grant looks more like a sg to me. Or trade back if the Pacers really want Payne.

I'd rather have Johnson, Oubre, Booker, Hunter, or WCS if he slides. And of course I'd love for the Pacers to trade up if Winslow makes it past the 5th pick.
    3 scenarios for the draft, starting with my favorite first:

1. Pacers trade up for Justice Winslow

2. Take WCS or Stanley Johnson (this is the theory of a player falling); Make trades (Hibbert/West/others) for additional picks - George Lucas and Rakeem Christmas are players I'd love to have with a late first/early 2nd round

3. Trey Lyles

I'm sure my opinion will change many times before the draft though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

It seems Legend is going out of his way to make sure everybody knows how much he likes Payne. Kind of odd to me. Not sure if it is gamesmanship, or if he is the guy and Larry is so sure that he is going to be there at 11 that he is not worried about someone stealing him.

Bird didn't give Payne a ringing endorsement. For example, Bird said "he's a nice little point guard" and "his size is a disadvantage." Out of all the PGs Bird has passed on through the years I doubt he takes a flyer on either one these two.

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems Legend is going out of his way to make sure everybody knows how much he likes Payne. Kind of odd to me. Not sure if it is gamesmanship, or if he is the guy and Larry is so sure that he is going to be there at 11 that he is not worried about someone stealing him.
    Didn't he do the same about Hansbrough?

2. Take WCS or Stanley Johnson (this is the theory of a player falling); Make trades (Hibbert/West/others) for additional picks - George Lucas and Rakeem Christmas are players I'd love to have with a late first/early 2nd round

3. Trey Lyles

Also, the thing about Payne is that I don't see a lot of upside. Pacers really need some players with upside.

3. Trey Lyles

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Payne sounds intriguing. While he is undersized, he does look like he can get and make his own shot. I can't remember the last time the Pacers had a point guard that could do that.

Payne reminds me of Brandon Jennings and Mike Conley. He plays with a chip on his shoulder at all times. He would be a nice player to add but not at 11. If we were drafting 15-20 he'd be a target I think. If Larry could get back into the 1st round I would target Payne. We need a backup point guard anyways. He could eventually take over G3's starting role. I like Jerian Grant too but he reminds me of a Rodney Stuckey / Etwuan Moore type player.....
    Here we come lottery?

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Payne reminds me of Brandon Jennings and Mike Conley. He plays with a chip on his shoulder at all times. He would be a nice player to add but not at 11. If we were drafting 15-20 he'd be a target I think. If Larry could get back into the 1st round I would target Payne. We need a backup point guard anyways. He could eventually take over G3's starting role. I like Jerian Grant too but he reminds me of a Rodney Stuckey / Etwuan Moore type player.....

Where in the 1st rd do you think Bird would have to get in order to get Payne?

What's wrong with being like Stuckey?

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    Bird didn't give Payne a ringing endorsement. For example, Bird said "he's a nice little point guard" and "his size is a disadvantage." Out of all the PGs Bird has passed on through the years I doubt he takes a flyer on either one these two.
    Where are you getting the quotes from?

I'm not doubting them, I'd just like to read what Bird has had to say about the players.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Where are you getting the quotes from?

I'm not doubting them, I'd just like to read what Bird has had to say about the players.
    Candace wrote a feature.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...adar/27499081/
    (possible paywall)

The Pacers, who currently hold the No. 11 pick and have less than a 3 percent chance to move into the top three in the lottery, have followed Payne as he shepherded Murray State to a 25-game winning streak — only then-undefeated Kentucky won more consecutive games. During the Racers' successful stretch, Payne averaged 21 points per game.

"We followed him all year," Pacers' president of basketball operations Larry Bird said. "We know he can shoot it, he can drive it. He's a playmaker. His size is against him a little bit but he's a nice little player. He didn't play against top schools but that doesn't mean he can't play."

A long way from Lausanne Collegiate School in Memphis, where he won the Tennessee Class 2A Private School state championship, Payne mixes Southern manners with a healthy dose of self-assurance. While meeting with media at the combine, Payne answered questions with 'Yes ma'am' and 'No sir' while still exhibiting a boyish bravado.

"I feel like I can bring a little bit more leadership," Payne said, responding to a question on how he thought he could improve a particular Eastern Conference playoff team. "And I can definitely bring my swagger."

During Thursday's combine, Payne worked through a shooting drill with Bird and several other representatives from the Pacers watching courtside. But as Bird revealed, the Pacers have long known about Payne's abilities and his poise.

"He should (be confident) and he's really going up the draft board pretty quick here," Bird said. "That gives a guy a lot of confidence, so I think he's going to be all right."
    Those are the only Bird quotes I think.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Whoo...What a year.. Guardshock's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jerian Grant definitely looks for his teammates more than stuckey does. I would love to have grant as our back up point guard this year. It was fun to watch Grant play this year. Plus he sat out half a year for academic issues. Half his Jr season he had to sit out. There are some really good stories on what he learned and how he became a better person and teammate because of it.

Like I said, I'd love to have him.
    Indiana State University Alum. Hardcore Pacers fan. Racecar Driver in need of sponsorship.

www.jjhughesracing.com

My Prediction: Solomon Hill is our Starting 2 guard for the 2015-2016 Season (2/23/2015)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardshock For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Where in the 1st rd do you think Bird would have to get in order to get Payne?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Candace wrote a feature.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...adar/27499081/
    (possible paywall)

Those are the only Bird quotes I think.
    Thank you!