Thread: Yard Haunt?

Default Yard Haunt?

Every year I have a nice inside Halloween party for family and friends but like to do something different this time (planning early). I think an outside cookout maybe better and possibly a decorated themed yard. I guess my question is two fold. Anyone into this kind of thing and are their any really good halloween prop places near Indy? You see some really neat stuff on-line but pictures on the net can be totally different than what you see in person.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Yard Haunt?

How about an Occupy Wall Street theme? Throw trash around the yard, provide pup tents and sleeping bags, and have the Occupiers dress in part.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Geez you're killing me my friend. Ok one backhand deserves another. I'll put the OWS on one side and reserve the other for tee-shirt wearing guys, carrying rifles, waving a confederate flag, and listening to their favorite Toby Keith tune. Can't have a proper party without the Tea Ps.

Sorry mods....back to skeletons in the closet. Now this is something I could be interested in... http://www.designtoscano.com/product...&code=DTPLAS12
    Last edited by RWB; 08-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd bet on the team with the rifles.

Zombies would be good. Hold the party right after work and everyone can come "as is".
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

The props are very cool if you uplight them with a minimal amount of light. Like the guy crawling out of his grave, a little green uplight on that would set it off.

If you can control the ambient light in the area where you put this stuff it will have a far more dramatic effect. Plus it means a little uplight can go a long way.

Also, if there's no easy accesible power source where you're placing the props, and it's relatively dark, you can use battery powered LED lights from Menards (or similar). They have some little hockey puck type LED's that swivel and pivot and are technically made to go under kitchen cabinets or in a closet, but work great for this type of thing. 1 or two of them per prop is pretty effective. You can't gel them but it's still a good effect. And speaking of gels...

You could go with theatrical LED par fixtures and skip the gels entirely if you choose to uplight with theatrical pars... Those will have red, green, and blue LED's in them already (and maybe white and amber too). Find the color or blend you like and away you go.

And if you're resourceful you can use LED car lights and lantern batteries to make your own uplights that way....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I wonder what it would look like if you project eerie images onto a wall of smoke/fog from a smoke machine? Hmmmm... Never tried that...

Although you can project images on things like trees, houses, rocks, etc.... The idea is NOT to get a theatrical movie quality look... It's to get eerie visuals that tease you more than anything. If you have a woods or heavy trees around, project some images into them and you'll see what I mean.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Thanks Bball thats what I'm talking about. The projection idea really has perked my interest since I've got an old Infocus 4805 collecting dust. Thought about showing an outside movie with it but I believe it would wind up being more background noise than anything.

What type of images on the trees? I'm surrounded by woods so that is right up my alley for sure.

Thanks for the uplight ideas. The area I'll be using can/will be in total darkness, just need to make sure there is enough light so someone doesn't bust their @ss of course. Back to the uplight ideas.... so yard spots would probably be too bright?

Default Yard Haunt

Theres a tv show called "Sons of Guns" where they took an AK-47 but a kreiger barrel, a better trigger and a better stock and made it into a sniper rifle using 7.62x39. Could that be possible with an XCR in the same caliber???