Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert is a class act

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Roy Hibbert is a class act

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, I am willing to admit I welled up reading that. Hoping for a miracle for that kid. Roy is a class act.
    Yeah, taking Roy out of the equation this is a horrible break. One thing Roy mentions about visiting kids is that it sounds like a great idea but it's pretty emotionally straining on the person visiting too. Any medical professional can tell you about the stress of dealing with that kind of stuff regularly.

So for all the "athletes should do this", I imagine doing it on a weekly or even monthly basis can get very depressing. Most of us reading about it do not experience that, nor would we want to make weekly trips over to the ER to sit with families in tears.

We see the smiles of the kids when a celebrity visits, but the person visiting is staring down the injustice, the loss of innocence, and the pain of not just the child but the family. It may be "the least they can do", but it's more than most people put themselves through. Going through it with family and friends is tough enough, let alone strangers.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Roy avoids situations that offer strong potential for downside. In that way what happened with Ron, Jack, Tins, Quis, Harrison and Shawne were more disappointing than just "they are thugs". They weren't thugs or gangsters because a real gangster would be smarter about their situations.
    Not that it matters any, but this got me to chuckle. "Real gangsters" aren't smart about what they do, they go to jail all the time. Doing hard time is a badge of honor.

But to get back on track, Roy is a true class act.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

God bless you Roy! I hope and pray that Lee is able to enjoy what may be the last phase of his life realizing how loved he is, and that he has had an impact even on HIS Idol!

Stories like this make me proud to root for the Pacers and Roy. But more than that, they make me proud just to be a human being, which is a rare feat in this day and age.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Great thing Roy is doing here and should be commended. But lets also acknowledge that the Pacer's Foundation regularly holds events, appearances, and visits for young terminally ill children all over central Indiana. And they do it with no media story or hoopla, and they rarely toot their own horn about it except for a small section in the game program to call for more volunteers.
    I agree. NBA players, even before the days of the NBA Cares program, do a lot of community improvement and charity work throughout the year. It's just that stories like these don't move the national media needle as much as ones where a player is arrested for getting shot at outside a night club or getting arrested for a DUI.

Back on Topic...

Roy is awesome. It says a lot about Roy as a person and the Pacers are fortunate to have him as their new up-and-coming face of the franchise. This 12-year old is awesome too. I was personally moved by the story. I think it's incredible that this young man is a fan of Roy Hibbert and it's sad that he won't get to see him play an NBA game. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Very nice Roy. This is what a role model should look like.

"I don't mess with West" ECKrueger's Avatar

As bittersweet as this was, now it is just depressing:

Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA

What was supposed to be an incredible make a wish visit by Roy Hibbert won't happen. Lee Eddins, 12, has passed from leukemia. Horrible.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Just **** man, I mean ****. What a depressing moment reading that tweet from Wells was.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Oh wow...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So sad. Poor little guy couldnt hang on long enough to meet his hero. I bet Roy is tore up too
    I Bleed Blue

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CreekShow For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I get on here to let everyone know Roy'll be on CNN at 2:20 to talk about this and then I find out the kid passes. Heartbreaking.

Sorry admins, thats all I can say for this.

Poor kid.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, how sad. I wish the kid would've lived long enough to see his idol. Must make Hibbert sad as well, just a potentially good story turned really depressing, but there's not much anyone could've done.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Roy's still going to be on CNN, coming on as soon as the commercial break's over. This'll be weird.

Get the tissues ready, Roy is on in a minute...from the airport as he is about to fly out there.

This absolutely sucks.

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

What a terrible outcome for the family. I imagine for weeks now the Eddins family had to endure seeing him in such pain. This was an opportunity for them to have one last great day with their son to forge a great memory. Heart breaking really.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

That was definitely the saddest thing I've watched in a long time...especially with the slideshow of Lee. Actually seeing him just made it more sad.

Definitely got the kicked in the gut feeling here.

My thoughts and prayers are going out to the family.

I am going to share my own personal story about donating as a way to honor the little guy and hopefully bring awareness of the need.

Like most people I always thought of donating bone marrow but then I hear the statistics of 1 in a million find a match and I honestly didn't think it would do much good. Be that as it may I signed up on a whim during a blood drive and thought that I would never get a call only to be shocked that after only 3 months I got a call from the donation center to come in and for further tests. After 2 weeks of a combined 45 minutes of my time I found out that I was a pefect match for a middle age male with 3 kids and a wife.

Now like most people I don't like surgeries but I honestly wouldn't consider bone marrow donation much of a surgery at all. You go home the same day and it took 45 minutes to 1 hour of being knocked out to harvest the marrow. I woke up in the bed and felt fine and even after the pain medication wore off I didn't feel that bad at all. A little sorness in the lower back for week was all that I had and I have literally felt worse after a flag football game or a sking trip on the weak hills of southern Indiana.

The guy survived by the way and wrote me a letter thanking me for letting him teach his son how to drive a car. Its one of the easiest things to do and I would encourage anyone to get on the donor list if you aren't already and see if they can find a person in need like Lee. The sooner a person finds a match the better the outcomes normally are.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 08-09-2012 at 03:36 PM.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    My thoughts and prayers are going out to the family.

I am going to share my own personal story about donating as a way to honor the little guy and hopefully bring awareness of the need.

Like most people I always thought of donating bone marrow but then I hear the statistics of 1 in a million find a match and I honestly didn't think it would do much good. Be that as it may I signed up on a whim during a blood drive and thought that I would never get a call only to be shocked that after only 3 months I got a call from the donation center to come in and for further tests. After 2 weeks of a combined 45 minutes of my time I found out that I was a pefect match for a middle age male with 3 kids and a wife.

Now like most people I don't like surgeries but I honestly wouldn't consider bone marrow donation much of a surgery at all. You go home the same day and it took 45 minutes to 1 hour of being knocked out to harvest the marrow. I woke up in the bed and felt fine and even after the pain medication wore off I didn't feel that bad at all. A little sorness in the lower back for week was all that I had and I have literally felt worse after a flag football game or a sking trip on the weak hills of southern Indiana.

The guy survived by the way and wrote me a letter thanking me for letting him teach his son how to drive a car. Its one of the easiest things to do and I would encourage anyone to get on the donor list if you aren't already and see if they can find a person in need like Lee. The sooner a person finds a match the better the outcomes normally are.
    Great story, did it cost you anything but your time? Did you have a hospital bill or anything? Was there some sort of guarantee that if they messed up and took too much marrow that you would be taken care of free of charge?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Maybe this is a way A55 can give back in honor of Roy - organize someone to bring a bone marrow donor registry setup to a game or something. No cost to the person(s) setting it up except time to publicize it.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

A55 should keep one seat empty for the rest of next season. Hang a personalized jersey over it that says Lee Eddins on the back. Make it happen A55/Pacers.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Maybe this is a way A55 can give back in honor of Roy - organize someone to bring a bone marrow donor registry setup to a game or something. No cost to the person(s) setting it up except time to publicize it.
    Theres already ideas being kicked around...

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

What a sad turn of events.

With the exception of Reggie Miller, who visited a lot of burn victims at Riley after his house fire and it was never talked about much in the media because he wasn't doing it for attention, probably no basketball-related personality in Indiana has visited more people in hospitals than that Robert M. Knight guy. And again, he wasn't doing it for the attention, 'cause God knows he could use a little bit of good press every now and then.

I think this story with Roy is especially interesting because the kid wasn't a local kid and Roy was going to fly 2/3 of the way across the country to visit him. That takes effort!

But there are a lot of good stories like this and the best ones are when you know the player (or coach) is genuinely doing it - regularly - and not just seeking publicity -as was definitely the case with Reggie and the kids in the Riley burn center as I understand he would show up there very frequently, and sometimes would come downtown from Geist early on gameday to stop there before going to MSA.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Great story, did it cost you anything but your time? Did you have a hospital bill or anything? Was there some sort of guarantee that if they messed up and took too much marrow that you would be taken care of free of charge?
    It doesn't cost anything and they measure the marrow as it comes out so they know how much they are taking. It took me 45 minutes since I have a high stem cell count but for most people it takes around 90 minutes to harvest it. There really isn't much risk outside of getting knocked out and having your own blood transfused back into you after the surgery. The needle does mostly muscle damage to your lower back which didn't hurt much for me.

I honestly don't remember much about liability cost if something went wrong but this surgery is soooo simple and I was in my early twenties when I didn't worry about such things if you know what I mean.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post: