Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manning thread

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Manning thread

Thought we could start a Manning-only thread to post whatever about the most important Colt in history. I'll start it with this commercial:

There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Manning thread

Would be interesting to see what he drove to Broncos training camp. In the twelve at Terre Haute he never drove anything but a truck or large SUV.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would be interesting to see what he drove to Broncos training camp. In the twelve at Terre Haute he never drove anything but a truck or large SUV.
    Obviously this year he called an audible and took a Buick!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Supposedly he looked solid tonight. I hope he has a great season. What is the over/under for how many times the average Colts fan thinks to themselves this season, "Damn, we should have kept this guy"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Supposedly he looked solid tonight. I hope he has a great season. What is the over/under for how many times the average Colts fan thinks to themselves this season, "Damn, we should have kept this guy"?
    Not many. Andrew Luck will keep us plenty happy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Not many. Andrew Luck will keep us plenty happy.

He will keep us happy in future years, but he won't be outplaying Manning next year if Manning is healthy.

I think it will be like the Favre/Rodgers situation. Favre as a Viking beat the Pack twice in his first year and had them a play away from the Super Bowl. But he is long gone while Rodgers is in the prime of his career and has already won a Super Bowl. Manning will likely play extremely well for the next couple of seasons if healthy, but one day Luck will be in his prime while Manning is retired.

But I have a feeling that even those that supported the release of Manning will often find themselves saying "damn, we should have kept this year", while Luck is going through inevitable rookie struggles and Manning is winning his division.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love Manning. I hope he has a fantastic year, I think he will if he stays upright, and I think it's a foregone conclusion that he will have a better year, as will the Broncos, than Luck and Indy.

But I'm still glad we have Luck.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

2 of Mannings 7 passes should or were intercepted. Everyone is talking about how great he played, but by the results I don't see it.

Granted, that throw across his body and to the sideline to Decker was impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    2 of Mannings 7 passes should or were intercepted. Everyone is talking about how great he played, but by the results I don't see it.

Granted, that throw across his body and to the sideline to Decker was impressive.

He had games here where a couple of extra throws should have been intercepted but weren't. He also had games where a nicely thrown ball was tipped and turned into a screwy interception. That's just part of being an NFL QB. It happens to everyone.

Prior to last night, he hadn't played in 500+ days. I think a little bit of rust is expected. 7 throws is a tiny sample size, but he physically looked like he belonged out there and that he will be able to make NFL throws.

He looked rusty in 08 after just missing training camp and pre-season, so there's no question that he will have some rust this year after missing an entire season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will say this, having watched practically every Manning throw over the past 14 years:

His motion looks... hitched. If anyone ever had a back or neck injury and tried to throw the ball, you know what I'm talkin' about --- limited motion, like you're not extending fully due to pain or just flat-out can't extend that far anymore.. His motion doesn't look as.... free as it used to. He looks like he's still not getting full extension on his neck as he throws it.

I dunno. I see it. He doesn't look exactly the same.

Other than that, I thought he looked okay. His one interception, even though I didn't get to see replays, looked like it was a combination of being slightly thrown behind, and then the receiver did a poor job. The result was the ball got batted backwards towards a defender.

It was weird seeing him not in a Colt uniform, like seeing Montana in a Chief uni. Just wasn't right.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-10-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Luck will make Colts fans get over Peyton very quickly. I wish Manning the best in Denver, but Andrew Luck will do big things for the Colts
    David "And One" West

I thought he looked okay considering he missed a year and a half of football however his skills are mostly mental than physical anyways

Next time he makes a deep throw - 25+ yards - let me know.

Kravitz was right when he called him 'noodle-arm' a while back.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Many times and it will start on Sunday during the first preseason game.... ... .

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Next time he makes a deep throw - 25+ yards - let me know.

Kravitz was right when he called him 'noodle-arm' a while back.
    Apparently you need to read more about the Broncos. Manning has been making 50 yard passes with plenty of velocity. He only made seven passes in this one short stint. He will make plenty of them when the season starts. Want to wager on who has the most passing yards this year, Luck or Manning? ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Luck will make Colts fans get over Peyton very quickly. I wish Manning the best in Denver, but Andrew Luck will do big things for the Colts
    A little hint for you: Andrew Luck will NEVER make Colts fans get over Peyton in his entire career. Luck may do som good things for the Colts but he won't come close to being Peyton Manning (and neither will anyone else). RG3 was really good in his first preseason game. I am in Texas and he has endoresments everywhere. I wonder if Luck has any? ...

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I will say this, having watched practically every Manning throw over the past 14 years:

His motion looks... hitched. If anyone ever had a back or neck injury and tried to throw the ball, you know what I'm talkin' about --- limited motion, like you're not extending fully due to pain or just flat-out can't extend that far anymore.. His motion doesn't look as.... free as it used to. He looks like he's still not getting full extension on his neck as he throws it.

I dunno. I see it. He doesn't look exactly the same.

Other than that, I thought he looked okay. His one interception, even though I didn't get to see replays, looked like it was a combination of being slightly thrown behind, and then the receiver did a poor job. The result was the ball got batted backwards towards a defender.

It was weird seeing him not in a Colt uniform, like seeing Montana in a Chief uni. Just wasn't right.

That is because it isn't right........ ... .

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    A little hint for you: Andrew Luck will NEVER make Colts fans get over Peyton in his entire career. Luck may do som good things for the Colts but he won't come close to being Peyton Manning (and neither will anyone else). RG3 was really good in his first preseason game. I am in Texas and he has endoresments everywhere. I wonder if Luck has any? ...
    Even if Luck doesn't ever match up to Manning in terms of individual talent, if the Colts win two or more Super Bowls with Luck, the Luck era supersedes the Manning era. That wouldn't entirely be Mannings fault given Polian fell off terrible in the last couple of years, but its all about the rings.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Even if Luck doesn't ever match up to Manning in terms of individual talent, if the Colts win two or more Super Bowls with Luck, the Luck era supersedes the Manning era. That wouldn't entirely be Mannings fault given Polian fell off terrible in the last couple of years, but its all about the rings.
    A little hint for you: You have to get to a Super Bowl to have a chance to win one, you have to get to the AFC Finals to get to the Super Bowl, you have to win a couple of playoff games to get the finals and you have to get to the playoffs before you can win any. The Colts went 36 years between Super Bowl appearances before Peyton took them there. This wait could be just as long. Luck may never get to a Super Bowl, in fact, the odds are against it. Luck may never get to an AFC Final, in fact, the odds are against it and Luck may have a very long wait to even get into the playoffs if he ever gets there. Indy fans are spoiled because of Peyton Manning. They are about to face harsh reality...... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That is because it isn't right........ ... .
    It isn't right, but that's the world we live in. Who won a Super Bowl after Montana left, the '9ers or the Chiefs?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A little hint for you: You have to get to a Super Bowl to have a chance to win one, you have to get to the AFC Finals to get to the Super Bowl, you have to win a couple of playoff games to get the finals and you have to get to the playoffs before you can win any. The Colts went 36 years between Super Bowl appearances before Peyton took them there. This wait could be just as long. Luck may never get to a Super Bowl, in fact, the odds are against it. Luck may never get to an AFC Final, in fact, the odds are against it and Luck may have a very long wait to even get into the playoffs if he ever gets there. Indy fans are spoiled because of Peyton Manning. They are about to face harsh reality...... ...
    Yep, you are definitely facing a harsh reality, Blu.... if you can call it that.

Banned
    Mood

It isn't right, but that's the world we live in. Who won a Super Bowl after Montana left, the '9ers or the Chiefs?
    They would have won another one with Montana if he had stayed. He was little closer to the end than Peyton was..... The Colts may go another 36 years without getting to the Super Bowl too..... ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Montana and Manning were both 36 and spent 13 years with their teams... and coming off serious injuries... so..... Montana was closer to the end?

You know, you're always proclaiming odds and historical precedence, so answer me this Oh Loony One --- How many Super Bowls have been won by a team starting a quarterback that was 36 or older?

Perhaps you ought to chew on that for a bit and maybe you'll see why Indy made the tough but correct choice. But you probably won't because there's not a whole lot of logic goin' on "up there".
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 08-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Banned
    Mood

Montana and Manning were both 36 and spent 13 years with their teams... and coming off serious injuries... so..... Montana was closer to the end?

You know, you're always proclaiming odds and historical precedence, so answer me this Oh Loony One --- How many Super Bowls have been won by a team starting a quarterback that was 36 or older?

Perhaps you ought to chew on that for a bit and maybe you'll see why Indy made the tough but correct choice. But you probably won't because there's not a whole lot of logic goin' on "up there".

I am well aware of that stat. I am not saying the Colts would have gotten to another Super Bowl with Manning in the next five years either. I am SURE they won't do it with Andrew Luck. The 49ers were still a Super Bowl caliber team. They also replaced Montana with a HOFer in Young. Andrew Luck may not even be a good starting QB much less an HOFer. I don't see the two things being related. Do you think SF would have shipped out Montana for a rookie QB? I don't think it was a tough choice for Irsay at all. He just looked and said, I save about $90 million and the choice was made. Irsay doesn't give a damn about legacy or even winning Super Bowls. Peyton fell into his lap and took the Colts there. Jeff George came out with all of the hype that Luck has and he had a much stronger arm than Luck or anyone else. You will comeback and say but Jeff was a knucklehead and can't be compared to Luck. Well, the fact is, he is a very good comparison. Luck is more likely to be a bust than a superstar. The reality will be somewhere in the middle and that won't be good enough to carry a flawed team to a Super Bowl anytime soon. I think Peyton has a chance to get there again with Denver in the next three years. I am sure we are all eager to see how this all works out......... I know that I am..... ...

Banned
    Mood

There is a difference in age and conditioning now as compared to when Montana played. Players stay long and play well. Ray Lewis and John Elway himself are good examples. Peyton has taken relatively few hits in his career and I think he can play into his 40s if he wants to do that. We will see if Luck can get through this year with the number of hits he will take. He will catch up to Manning in that area in his first two years in the league unless that line plays a lot better than I expect them to play...... ...