Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to School

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Back to School

Well it's that time of year again. Back-to-school time. For many, this is the time for the freedom of summer ends, and going to school everyday has to become a routine. For me, I start my junior year at Greenfield-Central HS. But for many of you, who are parents, its your kids who are starting school again.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Back to School

True that. Which basically means - "Time to tell myself I'm going to study for IU everynight...and then just turn on MNF, SNF, Thursday Night Football, or any given week-night an NBA game is on!"
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well it's that time of year again. Back-to-school time. For many, this is the time for the freedom of summer ends, and going to school everyday has to become a routine. For me, I start my junior year at Greenfield-Central HS. But for many of you, who are parents, its your kids who are starting school again.
    Good luck Steagles. Nope, for me it's time for the wife and our houseguest to go back to teaching. (Yea!....I can go back to working from home)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Wait, back to school on Aug 1st? What kind of summer is this?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Mood

Pingu, most public school systems in and around the Indianapolis area have adopted what's known as the balanced calendar. Instead of all your time off in the summer, you get longer breaks during the year. The kids basically get June and July off for summer, two weeks for fall break, two weeks for Christmas, and two weeks for spring break. I could be wrong, but I believe most of the private schools are still on the traditional calendar.

As for us, my oldest boy started Kindergarten at Sugar Creek Elementary in New Palestine. I couldn't be happier. I was scared to death we weren't going to be able to get him in and be forced to send him to Warren Township schools.
    Last edited by travmil; 08-01-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Mood

New Castle just changed its schedule to more of a 'year round' or 'balanced' calendar. The kids go back tomorrow. We used to not start for a few more weeks, and years and years ago I believe they didn't start until September.

I'm curious to see where the extra 3 weeks of breaks go because from what I'd heard, Fall Break is going from 2 days to 5, but I believe Thanksgiving is still only 2 or 3 days, Christmas 2 weeks, and Spring Break 1 week. Maybe that is erroneous, but if not they have to pad things somewhere, right?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Pingu, most public school systems in and around the Indianapolis area have adopted what's known as the balanced calendar. Instead of all your time off in the summer, you get longer breaks during the year. The kids basically get June and July off for summer, two weeks for fall break, two weeks for Christmas, and two weeks for spring break. I could be wrong, but I believe most of the private schools are still on the traditional calendar.

As for us, my oldest boy started Kindergarten at Sugar Creek Elementary in New Palestine. I couldn't be happier. I was scared to death we weren't going to be able to get him in and be forced to send him to Warren Township schools.
    This. I, for one, am perfectly fine with it. I love the two week cut from summer when it means long, two week sanity breaks in the middle of the year.
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Back for my 5th year of teaching history here in SC. Yipee.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    New Castle just changed its schedule to more of a 'year round' or 'balanced' calendar. The kids go back tomorrow. We used to not start for a few more weeks, and years and years ago I believe they didn't start until September.

I'm curious to see where the extra 3 weeks of breaks go because from what I'd heard, Fall Break is going from 2 days to 5, but I believe Thanksgiving is still only 2 or 3 days, Christmas 2 weeks, and Spring Break 1 week. Maybe that is erroneous, but if not they have to pad things somewhere, right?
    It's getting to be absolutely ridiculous, thats for sure. I remember starting around August 20th in Grade School (circa 1995), by HS graduation (2005), it was around August 10th. I personally think school shouldn't start until AFTER the first week or so of the state fair.

Thank god I don't have kids (not that the world could handle a little Sandman to begin with )
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The most shocking thing about this thread is that Steagles is only a junior in high school . Dude's more mature than half the people on here.

No school for me. Three more years and I'll be jumping back into the fray with that nonsense. For now, I will enjoy the banality of work life.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    It's getting to be absolutely ridiculous, thats for sure. I remember starting around August 20th in Grade School (circa 1995), by HS graduation (2005), it was around August 10th. I personally think school shouldn't start until AFTER the first week or so of the state fair.

Thank god I don't have kids (not that the world could handle a little Sandman to begin with )
    I have to completely disagree.

I struggled with school in general, but especially with math. I feel like the beginning the of year was spent with getting us back up to speed on everything we forgot over the summer.

I hated school, and woulda hated it back them (I dreaded hearing them talk about it when I was in school) but I really think I would have benefited from year round schooling

PS. I graduated highschool 04. Crazy how short the college breaks are getting now. Which is funny because my JUCO actually has a longer X'MAS and THANKSGIVING break then my University did/does.

Year round school would have left me in the crazy house.

And as the guy who almost singlehandedly killed Trigonometry classes at Ben Davis (yes, my test scores were THAT awful, they haven't taught a standalone Trig class since 2004, I think it got rolled into PreCalc or something.), I'm glad I got out when I did. Yous a kid only once, being stuck in a classroom year around during it is garbage.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Year round school would have left me in the crazy house.

And as the guy who almost singlehandedly killed Trigonometry classes at Ben Davis (yes, my test scores were THAT awful, they haven't taught a standalone Trig class since 2004, I think it got rolled into PreCalc or something.), I'm glad I got out when I did. Yous a kid only once, being stuck in a classroom year around during it is garbage.
    I am awful with math, but I'm starting precalculus this year, and calculus next year. I am not happy... However, I think the shorter summer will help a little bit with retaining the information. Now if only I could get the teacher that teaches the way I need to be taught. Right now, I'm stuck with the teacher that can't teach for her life when it comes to me.
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

Both my wife and I literally jumped for joy. The kids finally go back to school and we can finally have a couple hours to do stuff while the kids are at school. I know since my trip to the hospital yesterday and today was the first day of school I embraced the quiet time. I know leading up to me going to the hospital she was my personal caretaker, not that I didn't like my daughter helping me but it was making her scared something was really wrong and school took that away today. She got on the computer and looked up some stuff on WebMD and she was worried that I had cancer or that I had killed my liver. At least it was just pneumonia and a plural ifflusion.

Our classes start the 20th.

Mood

I am awful with math, but I'm starting precalculus this year, and calculus next year. I am not happy... However, I think the shorter summer will help a little bit with retaining the information. Now if only I could get the teacher that teaches the way I need to be taught. Right now, I'm stuck with the teacher that can't teach for her life when it comes to me.
    That was my issue with every school until I got to go to Warren Central Travmil is dead wrong about Warren Schools. They are really good if the student wants to learn they will get a great education. This coming from someone forced into private school by parents getting kicked out of the private HS was the best thing that every happen too me. Only problem is 40-60%% of the kids don't care and they get published instead of all the others who want to get taught and get taught.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    ...Travmil is dead wrong about Warren Schools...
    No I'm not. I also have a 17 year old daughter. She went to Warren Schools. Don't come in here and act like I don't know what I'm talking about because I do. All we ran into were teachers who wouldn't control the kids in their classroom, teachers who wouldn't answer messages or return phone calls or e-mails, fights at the bus stops or on the bus, administrators who wouldn't do anything about the sexual harassment my daughter endured, the list goes on and on. I'm glad you enjoyed it but our experience was not pleasant at all.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    No I'm not. I also have a 17 year old daughter. She went to Warren Schools. Don't come in here and act like I don't know what I'm talking about because I do. All we ran into were teachers who wouldn't control the kids in their classroom, teachers who wouldn't answer messages or return phone calls or e-mails, fights at the bus stops or on the bus, administrators who wouldn't do anything about the sexual harassment my daughter endured, the list goes on and on. I'm glad you enjoyed it but our experience was not pleasant at all.
    I do agree that controling the classroom was a major issue but there isnt much you can do. I was in a class where they would sell weed everyday and I did see 3-4 fights in my classroom and at least 1 a day outside of it really if I am a teacher I dont know what you do with thoes kids (because half the school is like that they dont care and just act out)

Last part im really sorry to hear it seemed like every year the football team or swimming team would have a sick child molester. If what you are saying is true about not doing anything that is pretty disgusting.

But as far as the teaching I got their it was so much better than I received at other schools.

What is school?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Work>school

In most jobs, you have little to no homework (although I do read some work-related stuff at home most nights). I get to travel for my job too, which is interesting.

Mood

I know at least in the 80's, Warren was a good school. My dad went there and he was a genius. My mom went to Greenfield. By the way, Travmil, who is your daughter? I might know her, I know a lot of Warren students.
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

My mom went to Greenfield back in the 80's, what year did your mom graduate????
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I do agree that controling the classroom was a major issue but there isnt much you can do. I was in a class where they would sell weed everyday and I did see 3-4 fights in my classroom and at least 1 a day outside of it really if I am a teacher I dont know what you do with thoes kids (because half the school is like that they dont care and just act out)

Last part im really sorry to hear it seemed like every year the football team or swimming team would have a sick child molester. If what you are saying is true about not doing anything that is pretty disgusting.

But as far as the teaching I got their it was so much better than I received at other schools.
    Good night! I am glad you got a good education, but it seems like you just proved travmil's point. Sounds like a madhouse based on what you have described. As a teacher I lose respect for a colleague that does not return calls, emails etc. Communicating with parents is paramount to the job IMO.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DangerGranger3pointranger View Post
    My mom went to Greenfield back in the 80's, what year did your mom graduate????
    1985 I think.

Sent from #ColtsNation using Tapatalk
    Freshman at Louisville
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Mood

By the way, Travmil, who is your daughter? I might know her, I know a lot of Warren students.
    I doubt if you know her, we sent her back down to Terre Haute to live with her grandparents and she's getting ready to start her Senior year at Terre Haute North.
    Last edited by travmil; 08-05-2012 at 10:00 PM.