Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAUL GEORGE???

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: PAUL GEORGE???

I'm just glad Hayward is proving the critics wrong. I know a lot of people thought he was just riding the "Cinderella train", but he can play.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, Paul George just screams Tayshaun Prince:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does Hayward's last 2 months of the season have to do with anything? He shot 19% in the playoffs after those 2 months too. You keep pointing out throughout this thread when George struggled, and when Hayward did well, like the rest of the season didn't happen.

Also, when are you going to give up on this Tayshaun Prince thing? Have you ever looked at Tayshaun Prince's career? Paul George is already averaging what Tayshaun did in his prime. He was essentially Tayshaun Prince last season. I guess only Gordon Hayward can get better. Paul is doomed to never improve.
    Well, you've got to consider a few things when comparing Prince to George. First of all, there's a pretty good chance George NEVER plays on teams as good as the 2004, 2005, and 2006 Piston teams. Secondly, Prince is a SIGNIFICANTLY better defensive player than George was. Put it this way, an injured Dwyane Wade's not averaging 26.1 ppg (with a FIVE point game) against 2004 Tayshaun Prince (see Bryant, Kobe, 2004 NBA Finals). The 2004 Tayshaun Prince wouldn't have allowed Wade to average 30.4 ppg taking out the five point game, or 33.3 ppg in the final 3 games.

Put it this way, if the 2004 Pistons played the 2012 Pacers, the Pistons offensive strategy would be to run Richard Hamilton off screens, wait until George screws up his defensive assignment, and have Hamilton hit a mid-range jumper. Lather, rinse, repeat. The Pistons have 28 points right there.

So, while maybe George is Prince's equal offensively, he's got a LONG way to go before he reaches Prince's level defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Well, you've got to consider a few things when comparing Prince to George. First of all, there's a pretty good chance George NEVER plays on teams as good as the 2004, 2005, and 2006 Piston teams. Secondly, Prince is a SIGNIFICANTLY better defensive player than George was. Put it this way, an injured Dwyane Wade's not averaging 26.1 ppg (with a FIVE point game) against 2004 Tayshaun Prince (see Bryant, Kobe, 2004 NBA Finals). The 2004 Tayshaun Prince wouldn't have allowed Wade to average 30.4 ppg taking out the five point game, or 33.3 ppg in the final 3 games.

Put it this way, if the 2004 Pistons played the 2012 Pacers, the Pistons offensive strategy would be to run Richard Hamilton off screens, wait until George screws up his defensive assignment, and have Hamilton hit a mid-range jumper. Lather, rinse, repeat. The Pistons have 28 points right there.

So, while maybe George is Prince's equal offensively, he's got a LONG way to go before he reaches Prince's level defensively.
    1. Prince played with Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace behind him. That cover's up A LOT of defensive mistakes right there.
    2. Prince played college for 4 years, and was taught by Tubby Smith who is known for his defensive teachings and principles. We couldn't fairly judge the two players before this season, because PG is just now at the age that Tayshaun was in as a rookie.
    3. Games are called WAY more tightly now than they were in 2004-2006. Players are no longer allowed to hand-check nor bump the offensive player in the slightest way. In 2005 the NBA proposed stopping all hand, hip, and chest checking for defensive players. 2007 or 2008 I believe saw the league really tighten up on foul calling. It's A LOT easier to stop a player when you're long and can hand check the hell out of him. You basically can't TOUCH an offensive player nowadays, let alone a flopping superstar like D.Wade, without being called for a foul. And yet PG was able to shut him down for the first 3 games of the series.
    4. Yes the Pistons made the finals in 2005 and 2004, but you also need to compare who was in their conference back then. There were nowhere NEAR as many superstars nor "superteams" in the East back then like there is now. If you put those Pistons in the East now, they would be marginally better than the Pacers...but not thought of as GREAT as they are now..

.....Must be a piston's fan
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 08-13-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    1. Prince played with Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace behind him. That cover's up A LOT of defensive mistakes right there.
    2. Prince played college for 4 years, and was taught by Tubby Smith who is known for his defensive teachings and principles. We couldn't fairly judge the two players before this season, because PG is just now at the age that Tayshaun was in as a rookie.
    3. Games are called WAY more tightly now than they were in 2004-2006. Players are no longer allowed to hand-check nor bump the offensive player in the slightest way. In 2005 the NBA proposed stopping all hand, hip, and chest checking for defensive players. 2007 or 2008 I believe saw the league really tighten up on foul calling. It's A LOT easier to stop a player when you're long and can hand check the hell out of him. You basically can't TOUCH an offensive player nowadays, let alone a flopping superstar like D.Wade, without being called for a foul. And yet PG was able to shut him down for the first 3 games of the series.
    4. Yes the Pistons made the finals in 2005 and 2004, but you also need to compare who was in their conference back then. There were nowhere NEAR as many superstars nor "superteams" in the East back then like there is now. If you put those Pistons in the East now, they would be marginally better than the Pacers...but not thought of as GREAT as they are now..

.....Must be a piston's fan
    Very good point about the Wallaces. If they're guarding Roy Hibbert in his final series before free agency, he probably only gets $30 million over 4 years.

Very good point about the Wallaces. If they're guarding Roy Hibbert in his final series before free agency, he probably only gets $30 million over 4 years.
    Lmao no dispute there

Mood

How much improvement for PG this year. Last year 12ppg, 5.6rpg.

I think this year upwards of 15ppg and 6rpg. Also gets in the 2.0 spg category.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    How much improvement for PG this year. Last year 12ppg, 5.6rpg.

I think this year upwards of 15ppg and 6rpg. Also gets in the 2.0 spg category.
    I'd love for PG to avg 15 & 5 while adding at least 3 assists, 1.75 steals and 1 block.

Pacers just have so many options, so it'll be interesting to see how Vogel manages it all.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's in shanghai with LeBron now, and James is impressed:

@KingJames: The homie @King24George got crazy bounce. Just saw him reverse 360 b/t the legs windmill at the Nike FOS in Shanghai. No warmup #sick

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    He's in shanghai with LeBron now, and James is impressed:

@KingJames: The homie @King24George got crazy bounce. Just saw him reverse 360 b/t the legs windmill at the Nike FOS in Shanghai. No warmup #sick
    Great - he can do playground dunks.

Now, let's work on the defense. And ball handling. And ........... well, all those things that make him a better team player.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

PG things to do:

-get stronger, but not bulk up. Retain that speed.
    -work on the outside shot more.
    -work on dribbling
    -work with coaches on defense, specifically screens/pick n rolls.

PG will improve, but the way the roster is, doesn't allow for someone to have a blow up year. All 5 starters can score the ball. Nice to have, but again, I don't see PG taking a huge step forward because of that.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's just my thinking but after watching Durant and Lebron in the finals. After their reported friendship, Durant seemed a lil bit passive on the court against Lebron. In this video we see PG buddy buddy with the enemy..... I'm not liking this. Don't befriend the enemy if you can't leave your friendship off the court. I hope PG can seperate the two..........Paul George Lebron is not your friend, your boy, your dog, the big homie......!!!! He is the ENEMY!!!!!! If there are any Pacer players reading this please tell PG to stay away from the enemy... thank you.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    It's just my thinking but after watching Durant and Lebron in the finals. After their reported friendship, Durant seemed a lil bit passive on the court against Lebron. In this video we see PG buddy buddy with the enemy..... I'm not liking this. Don't befriend the enemy if you can't leave your friendship off the court. I hope PG can seperate the two..........Paul George Lebron is not your friend, your boy, your dog, the big homie......!!!! He is the ENEMY!!!!!! If there are any Pacer players reading this please tell PG to stay away from the enemy... thank you.
    I agree with what you are saying. It seems to me, for whatever reason, Paul wants to be the "cool and popular" guy. Its just immaturity, and should be expected from somebody in their early 20's. He would rather be seen hanging out with Lebron James then studying basketball. Paul is still young though, so I don't really mind it, but this could be a problem down the road if he doesn't mature.
    David "And One" West

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Mood

I have to agree. It is fine to be cordial, and say hello or whatever.....but it should stop there. Sounds kind of stupid telling a person who to be friends with though, so I guess as long as he can seperate business from pleasure then I am fine with it.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Guys we don't have a clue what he's up to. He was at a Nike event with Lebron that just gave him more exposure than his last two seasons combined, aside from that, who really knows?

Who cares who his friends are? Best case scenario he learns from the best player in the league. Worst case? I dunno. Maybe he goes to dinner with Lebron instead of Danny after a game?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

He's working on 360-between-the-legs dunks (and ball handling).

Are you guys ****ing kidding me?! NBA players open games by hugging each other before the tip off half the ****ing time. And you are upset that he called LeBron his "dawg"? WTF! Paul George was just in China playing basketball with LeBron, Amare, Rudy Gay and other great players. This is a GREAT thing. Just like playing with Team USA was.

Paul wants to be the cool and popular guy? Because you can judge his entire life off of a few tweets? Seriously...

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

What about pro players and their college teammates that get drafted onto other teams? You think players don't know how to handle business? Give these guys some credit. They do this for a living. Most NBA players are actually on good terms with each other. Look at how close the Team USA guys are. You think Durant won't go at Kobe because they are friends? Of course he will. Why? He gets paid millions of dollars to do so and these guys are competitors. You don't get into the NBA by not being able to handle your ****.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I don't know about you guys, but when I played sports in high school the games we wanted to win the most also happened to be the games where the other team was full of friends. I can guarantee you that none of us tried any less just because we were facing a friend.

What happens off the court I don't give a ****, as long as they still want to kill each other on the court, and don't want to go out of their way to team up together.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

J7F

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    PG things to do:

-get stronger, but not bulk up. Retain that speed.
    -work on the outside shot more.
    -work on dribbling
    -work with coaches on defense, specifically screens/pick n rolls.

PG will improve, but the way the roster is, doesn't allow for someone to have a blow up year. All 5 starters can score the ball. Nice to have, but again, I don't see PG taking a huge step forward because of that.
    I assume you mean statistically?

Because he could average 14-15 ppg 6-7 rpg 2-3 apg 2 spg 1 bpg and not take a huge leap statisically, but still be a worlds better player than he was last season, where he was still good.

Paul is already an above average starting shooting guard, he can make the leap to top 6-7 next season IMO.

He's 2nd best at reboundign the ball at the position, top 10 PER at the position, top 3 stealing the ball at the position, and has an above average TS, improve the ball handling and he's really something.

Also almost all NBA players are "friends". Reggie was friends with lots of NBA players and trained in LA. So was JO. So is Danny. This is normal, and not a bad thing at all.

Mood

As for T-Prince comparisons it is interesting to note that last season Per 36 (fair, since George played 29 mpg, and Tayshaun played more than 36, this isn't a case like Hibbert, where someone can feasibly argue that Hibbs isn't capable of playing that many minutes (though I find that argument flawed since P36 shows productivity on a per minute basis, which normalizes comparisons.)

George's 14.7 ppg is the second highest in Prince's career.
    George's 6.8 ppg is by far higher than any in Prince's career.
    George's 2.0 spg more than doubles Prince's career best.
    George's .555 TS% compares with Prince's career best of .556
    George's PER of 16.5 is higher than Prince's career best of 16.2
    George's FT% compares nicely with Prince's career best .802 vs. .807

I mean, stats aren't a perfect measure (though no stat is "invalid", just misinterpreted). But by that metric George is already reasonably close to what prince was, even picking and choosing Prince's career bests to compare to George's season last year, and he's only 22, with greater physical tools than Prince ever had. How many 22 year olds peak at that age?

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    As for T-Prince comparisons it is interesting to note that last season Per 36 (fair, since George played 29 mpg, and Tayshaun played more than 36, this isn't a case like Hibbert, where someone can feasibly argue that Hibbs isn't capable of playing that many minutes (though I find that argument flawed since P36 shows productivity on a per minute basis, which normalizes comparisons.)

George's 14.7 ppg is the second highest in Prince's career.
    George's 6.8 ppg is by far higher than any in Prince's career.
    George's 2.0 spg more than doubles Prince's career best.
    George's .555 TS% compares with Prince's career best of .556
    George's PER of 16.5 is higher than Prince's career best of 16.2
    George's FT% compares nicely with Prince's career best .802 vs. .807

I mean, stats aren't a perfect measure (though no stat is "invalid", just misinterpreted). But by that metric George is already reasonably close to what prince was, even picking and choosing Prince's career bests to compare to George's season last year, and he's only 22, with greater physical tools than Prince ever had. How many 22 year olds peak at that age?
    Right now, Paul George is the 4th option on a very good team. However, if you put Paul George on a bad team (like the Pistons, for example), I don't think you'd see him average 20 to 22 points per game. He just doesn't have the mentality, and I'm not positive he has the talent.

And that's where I come up with the Prince comparisons. Prince couldn't dominate games on a bad team either, as proven over the past few years. Yet, in his first 6 years in the league, he was in the ideal environment to accentuate his strengths and contribute a vital role to very good teams.

For the most part, I see George in the same vein. He's in a good situation to allow him to succeed. He'll play a vital role for a 50 to 55 win team. But for those thinking George will become a franchise player, I think you'll be disappointed.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Right now, Paul George is the 4th option on a very good team. However, if you put Paul George on a bad team (like the Pistons, for example), I don't think you'd see him average 20 to 22 points per game. He just doesn't have the mentality, and I'm not positive he has the talent.

And that's where I come up with the Prince comparisons. Prince couldn't dominate games on a bad team either, as proven over the past few years. Yet, in his first 6 years in the league, he was in the ideal environment to accentuate his strengths and contribute a vital role to very good teams.

For the most part, I see George in the same vein. He's in a good situation to allow him to succeed. He'll play a vital role for a 50 to 55 win team. But for those thinking George will become a franchise player, I think you'll be disappointed.
    Paul is nothing like Prince. Paul wants to be the man. Prince is hesitant to takeover and quite frankly he's not as athletic. Yes, he's long and moves very well...but he's not explosive like Paul. Granger isn't like Paul either. Rudy Gay is the best comparable.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't care who he's friends with off the court but on the court he needs Danny Granger's attitude. Put Danny Granger's attitude with Paul George and he'll be an efficient 20+ scorer easily.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

J7F