Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAUL GEORGE???

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: PAUL GEORGE???

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    its odd bc during the reg season, i felt like he was our best player in feeding the post. His length/height did wonders for him passing to Roy. Though he does get careless in his passes at times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    And that is all he really needs to do is tighten them. When it comes to passing and dribbling his problem isn't so much he isn't good at them, as he gets lazy with them. It is like he forgets that he needs to dribble lower to the ground and closer to his body, or that he needs to make tight and crisp passes. We saw him do both of those things all season, but we would then watch him be lazy with his dribbling and passing the next time down the court.
    I agree. Paul's problem is not skill and the post-feed thing is a perfect example. He doesn't stay focused and ends up doing a sloppy job with his dribbles or passes when he's more than capable of executing the play. He'll make several good post feeds and then he'll just carelessly toss a pass in without setting it up or waiting for a clear lane. Ditto on the handles.

He's young, that's what I attribute it to. It's hard to hold your focus at that age. Sounds simple but plenty of kids in their early 20's are flakes at their job. In Paul's case he appears to work hard so he's not really letting the team down, he's just learning how to play NBA ball and the mental discipline it requires.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    I believe "The Game" is a rapper.
    No wonder I had no idea who he is. Listening to rap is right up there on my list with....well, I guess it is on a list of its own. Hate that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    Bill Benner
    I thought it was David Brenner?
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Brian Shaw but Trainer Rob McClanaghan is the person he really needs to spend some time with. He's the trainer that turned Derrick Rose into a league MVP and transformed Kevin Love from a decent rebounder and all-around player into the rebounding monster and scorer he is today.

The one thing he got both Rose and Love to buy into is creating contact instead of just reacting to it. Derrick Rose learned how to jump into people when they challenge his shot and score through contact. When guys try to box out Kevin Love, he meets force with force and because of his wide stance is able to snare the rebound. The key is keeping your balance while the other player is knocked off balance.

Oh, yeah... Russell Westbrook and Al Horford are his other All-Star clients. Todd Rob McClanaghan makes frachise players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ose/index.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    He's young, that's what I attribute it to. It's hard to hold your focus at that age. Sounds simple but plenty of kids in their early 20's are flakes at their job.
    Confirmed by a 22 year old currently on PacersDigest at work.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PritchSlap For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think PG needs to learn when his opportunities are. I think he really picked up a lot last year and a lot of this just comes while being in the game and working with veterans, it will come.

The other major thing I think he needs to work on is his footwork. Young players rely so much on their athleticism to create space that they don't learn good footwork early in their careers. Guys that become great students of the game are the ones that become great. The minutia, such as footwork, gives these great athletes and shooters an extra advantage. The guys that don't aren't in the league nearly as long as they should be. PG, especially in combination with learning some post moves, would benefit greatly from utilizing better footwork to pair with his athleticism. Kobe is a guy who has some of the greatest footwork in the game. He works out in LA, so maybe call a brother up. Watch film. Go look at later-career MJ.

Reggie had great footwork but is more of a shooter than PG, but he's a hell of an example of someone who used footwork to his advantage. Of course Reggie has touch that most people can never even dream of, so he bailed himself out when he was off-balance or had his feet completely out of position too. So that might be bad tape to watch.

Another thing I think the kid should do is build his hip and knee muscles, which will help in jumping into/taking contact on his drives. It'll help him prevent injuries that are conducive to that style of play as well.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul needs to work on everything. Not because he sucks, but because we have seen him do everything very inconsistently. Like Seth said, it has a lot to do with focus. But I also think the more ie improves at each skill, the more natural it will be to maintain consistency.

I am just glad he is doing something extra. I like the work ethic.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Just kind of a random question: Does anyone still wish we had Gordon Hayward instead of Paul George?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    Just kind of a random question: Does anyone still wish we had Gordon Hayward instead of Paul George?
    Did anyone ever really want Hayward over George once they actually saw them on the court?

That's not even a slam against Hayward, who by all accounts, is one of the better young swingman in the NBA and isn't anywhere close to the glorified stiff some were making him out to be.

Mood

Exclamation Re: PAUL GEORGE???

Naptown Born and Raised Blackhawk4's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Attached Images Attached Images

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackhawk4 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Geeze, are you guys really that out of touch to completely dismiss my question as preposterous?

Last year in 30 MPG Hayward averaged 11.8 pts/3.1 apg/3.5 rpg and shot .456 overall, .346 from three and .832 from the line

Last year in 30 MPG George averaged 12.1 pts/2.4 apg/5.6 rpg and shot .44 overall, .385 from three and .802 from the line

Seems like a reasonable question to pose. Those of you who are acting like I am comparing Paul George to Deshawn Stevenson need to touch base with reality.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

I don't think George is going to improve much. I think he's about as good as he'll get. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcaneknight View Post
    I don't think George is going to improve much. I think he's about as good as he'll get. Just my opinion though.
    I bet the list of players who topped out at 22 is minimal if it exists at all.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Paul will be better once he grows up and becomes a man in this league. I think three years from now, at the age of 25, we will see a different Paul George
    David "And One" West

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Here is an indication of how good PG already is.

Stats are from ESPN, looking at qualified shooting guards across the NBA:
    Only Evan Turner averaged more rebounds/game for a shooting guard. PG is a beast on the boards.

Only Iman Shumpert and Tony Allen averaged more steals per game than PG. And to think PG got off to a relatively slow start to the season for steals. He really started grabbing a ton of steals after the all-star break.

PG was top 5 in blocks and top 15 in assists.

PG has the makings of being one of the best all-round shooting guards in the league, hands down. He definitely has room to grow and areas that need serious development. If he can tighten his handles and drive effectively to the basket, the sky is the limit for this kid.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Did anyone ever really want Hayward over George once they actually saw them on the court?

That's not even a slam against Hayward, who by all accounts, is one of the better young swingman in the NBA and isn't anywhere close to the glorified stiff some were making him out to be.
    I certainly do, Hayward is a much better shooter, and knows what to do with the ball. Decently athletic, enough to dunk over PG. Not the same type of defender as George but Hayward is a better defender than Dunleavy (who many of you compared him to). He had a bunch of chase down blocks this year. Hayward has a lot of deception in his game.

PG is a streaky player, and thats because he doesn't know what to do with the ball.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 08-07-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Its a legit question, the Jazz love Hayward. I really questioned whether he could compete at the NBA level, to which I was obviously wrong. I really like both.

I think Hayward will be a glue guy who ties it all together for a very good team. A guy who makes others around him better and almost always makes the right play. These guys are hard to come by.

Paul George will develop into a 1st or 2nd team all defense team, I mean that pretty much says it all. Otherwise his ceiling is so high, but you don't know if he'll come close to reaching it.

Anyway, ya, I like both.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post

Only Evan Turner averaged more rebounds/game for a shooting guard. PG is a beast on the boards.

Only Iman Shumpert and Tony Allen averaged more steals per game than PG. And to think PG got off to a relatively slow start to the season for steals. He really started grabbing a ton of steals after the all-star break.

PG was top 5 in blocks and top 15 in assists.

PG has the makings of being one of the best all-round shooting guards in the league, hands down. He definitely has room to grow and areas that need serious development. If he can tighten his handles and drive effectively to the basket, the sky is the limit for this kid.
    So, PG was 2nd in rebounding and 3rd in steals for Shooting guards? Wow! I did not realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I certainly do, Hayward is a much better shooter, and knows what to do with the ball. Decently athletic, enough to dunk over PG. Not the same type of defender as George but Hayward is a better defender than Dunleavy (who many of you compared him to). Hayward has a lot of deception in his game.

PG is a streaky player, and thats because he doesn't know what to do with the ball.
    PG: 44% overall, 39% 3pt shooter, 80% FT shooter, 55% Tue shooting Percentage
    GH: 46% overall, 35% 3-pt shooter, 83% FT shooter, 57& Tue Shooting Percentage

It could be argued that he's a better shooter, but I don't think he's a MUCH better shooter. He isnt any better at creating his own offense than Paul, and is no where near the same level of defender or rebounder. I think he's MUCH better than most expected (including myself) but I'd still rather have George's defense, rebounding and 3-pt shooting.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    PG: 44% overall, 39% 3pt shooter, 80% FT shooter, 55% Tue shooting Percentage
    GH: 46% overall, 35% 3-pt shooter, 83% FT shooter, 57& Tue Shooting Percentage

It could be argued that he's a better shooter, but I don't think he's a MUCH better shooter. He isnt any better at creating his own offense than Paul, and is no where near the same level of defender or rebounder. I think he's MUCH better than most expected (including myself) but I'd still rather have George's defense, rebounding and 3-pt shooting.
    George's 3pt shooting fell off a cliff at the end of the year and in the playoffs. Also lets be clear, he only averaged one more attempt per game from behind the arch than Hayward. 3.5 vs 2.5.

From what I've watched, Hayward has a better handle and is a much better finisher around the rim, and can run a pick and roll.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    George's 3pt shooting fell off a cliff at the end of the year and in the playoffs. Also lets be clear, he only averaged one more attempt per game from behind the arch than Hayward. 3.5 vs 2.5.

From what I've watched, Hayward has a better handle and is a much better finisher around the rim, and can run a pick and roll.
    We must have seen diff Utah games, bc the games I saw, Hayward got most of his offense within the system they run in Utah (lots of spot up's and cuts off the post players). Hayward played and shot horribly in the playoffs. Was a conplete non factor.

You're 100% correct, George's legs definitely left him towards the end of the year and into the playoffs. His percentage was in the mid to high 40's for like half the season). His offense was probably just as bad as Haywards in the playoffs (9.7 for PG and 7.3 for GH), but his defense against the heat on games 1,2 and 3 kept him on the floor and made him a factor.

If Hayward is a better offensive player (which is debateable) its marginally better, George is still the much better all around player though.

And none of this is to slight Hayward at all. He can handle for a bigger wing, and is deceptively athletic. I just don't think he is nor ever will be better than Paul.

Should be interesting to see who has a better year this year.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 08-07-2012 at 01:35 PM.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Is there a way to get a players numbers before the All Star break and then after.

I agree, that PGs legs definitely left him toward the end of the season. However, his steals piled up. It usually takes effort to get steals. I can only think that he expended most of his energy on D and chasing guys through screens. I think teams figured out that PG is terrible at getting through screens and just kept running them. That will certainly wear a guy down. Hopefully he figures out the pick n rolls/screens so teams won't run them as often and wear him down.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Is there a way to get a players numbers before the All Star break and then after.

I agree, that PGs legs definitely left him toward the end of the season. However, his steals piled up. It usually takes effort to get steals. I can only think that he expended most of his energy on D and chasing guys through screens. I think teams figured out that PG is terrible at getting through screens and just kept running them. That will certainly wear a guy down. Hopefully he figures out the pick n rolls/screens so teams won't run them as often and wear him down.
    12.06 PPG Pre- All Star Break
    12.15 PPG Post- All-Star Break

Some food for thought:

Pre all-star break: 10 single digit scoring games, 15 games 10-14 points, and 8 games of 15+ point
    Post all-star break: 13 single digit scoring games, 8 games of 10-14 points, and 12 games of 15+ points.

Pre All-Star Break: 43.8 fg%, 40.1% 3pt, 9.7 FG ATT, 4.1 3pt FG ATT, 2.4 FT ATT, 1.5 st, .6 blk
    Post all-star break: 43.9 fg% 36% 3pt, 9.6 FG ATT, 2.93 3pt FG ATT, 3.09 FT ATT, 1.84 st, .54 blk
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 08-07-2012 at 04:13 PM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

PG was top 5 in blocks and top 15 in assists.PG has the makings of being one of the best all-round shooting guards in the league, hands down. He definitely has room to grow and areas that need serious development. If he can tighten his handles and drive effectively to the basket, the sky is the limit for this kid.
    He was actually 2nd in BPG if you take away Hayward, Johnson, and Rush. All three played the majority of their minutes at SF.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post: