Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exclamation The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

All good things must come to an end, but that doesn't mean that they can't transition into new good things.

After devoting nine years of his time and hard work to turning PD into what it is today, Hicks has decided to step down as the site adminstrator of Pacers Digest. I will be stepping into Hicks' former role.

With this transition will come a few changes, which I want to share with everyone:

- Though the site itself will be kept intact, Hicks is going to retain the domain of www.pacersdigest.com. What this means is that, for the time being at least, this site will now re-direct to www.pacersfans.com. This also means, obviously, that a new name and logo change will be required for the site. Personally, I feel that "Pacers Fans" is a little too generic to keep as the site name long-term, so I plan to open up suggestions to all of you for a new site name and logo in the very near future. This topic will have its own devoted thread, so please wait for it to appear before throwing suggestions at us.

Able has also graciously agreed to continue hosting the "new" PD, so from a functionality standpoint, everything should remain just as consistent and stable as ever. Though the name will be changing, everything else will remain basically as it was. To borrow Hicks's analogy, think of it as the transition from Conseco Fieldhouse to Banker's Life Fieldhouse.

- The administrative team will be adding a couple of new members to help fill the void left by Hicks's absence. This will be handled by myself and the rest of the administrative staff, so while I'm sure you all have recommendations, rest assured that we are well aware of the most capable members of our community and will choose the best ones for the job.

As someone who has been with PD since the beginning, I have seen all of its ups and downs and feel confident that I, along with our fantastic administrative staff, understand what it takes to keep this the #1 Pacers site on the web.

2. The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Thank you Hicks, and thank you Shade for stepping up to the plate to keep this the best forum on the internet!
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

4. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The times, they are a changin'... (important announcement about the future of Pacers Digest)

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All good things must come to an end, but that doesn't mean that they can't transition into new good things.

After devoting nine years of his time and hard work to turning PD into what it is today, Hicks has decided to step down as the site adminstrator of Pacers Digest. I will be stepping into Hicks' former role.

With this transition will come a few changes, which I want to share with everyone:

- Though the site itself will be kept intact, Hicks is going to retain the domain of www.pacersdigest.com. What this means is that, for the time being at least, this site will now re-direct to www.pacersfans.com. This also means, obviously, that a new name and logo change will be required for the site. Personally, I feel that "Pacers Fans" is a little too generic to keep as the site name long-term, so I plan to open up suggestions to all of you for a new site name and logo in the very near future. This topic will have its own devoted thread, so please wait for it to appear before throwing suggestions at us.

Able has also graciously agreed to continue hosting the "new" PD, so from a functionality standpoint, everything should remain just as consistent and stable as ever. Though the name will be changing, everything else will remain basically as it was. To borrow Hicks's analogy, think of it as the transition from Conseco Fieldhouse to Banker's Life Fieldhouse.

- The administrative team will be adding a couple of new members to help fill the void left by Hicks's absence. This will be handled by myself and the rest of the administrative staff, so while I'm sure you all have recommendations, rest assured that we are well aware the most capable members of our community and will choose the best ones for the job.

As someone who has been with PD since the beginning, I have seen all of its ups and downs and feel confident that I, along with our fantastic administrative staff, understand what it takes to keep this the #1 Pacers site on the web.
    Thank you very much for keeping the site going. I know it takes a lot of time. Also big thanks to Hicks for creating this site and maintaining it like he has.

Goodbye Larry, Hello Donnie?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Member DangerGranger3pointranger's Avatar
    Mood

We'll miss you Hicks! Thank you for what you have done to make this the #1 Pacers Fan Forum.
    Everybody ride the Scola train! WHOO WHOO

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DangerGranger3pointranger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

We'll miss you, Hicks. Will you keep posting?

Thanks for stepping up, Shade. And thanks able for continuing to hosting the site. The new PD will continue to be the #1 Pacers forum

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Wow, I've been apart of this site since 2003-2004. I am shocked Hicks is leaving. Never met the guy but it's obvious he has been pretty dedicated. Good luck in your future journey Hickster.

@Pacers24Colts12

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pacers13Colts12 For This Useful Post:

Good luck with whatever you end up doing with the Pacers Digest name, Hicks, hope you turn it into a news site or something otherwise profitable for yourself. You have dedicated many years of service to this site and are entitled to cash out if you want as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully whoever is picked as new admins are as capable as Hicks and keep this site going well into the future. The internet, for me at least, would be a boring, boring place without PD (or P whatever it ends up being).

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Good luck and thanks to all involved, both incoming and outgoing.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Thanks Hicks. So many here owe you a debt of gratitude for managing such a high quality site. Good luck in your future endeavors and hope to see you come back later if at least as just another member.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

As I responded on Twitter:
    ‏@SuprCityIndyFan
    @HicksPD Congrats on what you built, & good luck on what you do next. I kno you still bleed Pacer-blood, so I will still follow tweet w/you.
    what I didn't say there but will here is THANK YOU! You should be proud. Hope like hell you enjoy the lessened stress, but still stay active. Stepping down is far different then strpping away. I dont think anyone here wants you to step away. You belong here, in what ever capasity suits you best.
    Thanks again & best wishes.
    -PacerGuy
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Oh ****, 85 is in charge...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Although I only have been a part of this forum for a year, it has been absolutely critical in me maintaining my devotion to my favorite team as I have left Indiana for the next stage of my life. I am truly gracious towards Hicks for allowing this to happen, and for Shade for keeping it up.

Thank you guys so much!

Carmel HS Class of 2011

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

Happy trails and good luck to Hicks, as he was the primary reason behind my coming here 9 years ago. Hope this works out for everybody involved.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it has been absolutely critical in me maintaining my devotion to my favorite team as I have left Indiana for the next stage of my life. I am truly gracious towards Hicks for allowing this to happen, and for Shade for keeping it up.

Thank you guys so much!
    Second all of this, PD is great for us exiled Hoosiers

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Dammit. All my years of hating Shade and this comes into play. What evil shenanigans are you going to pull on me?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Wow, Thanks Hicks. I've transitioned into merely a lurker the last fews years but this is a great site. Glad someone is stepping in to keep it going Shade.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Goldfoot For This Useful Post:

I heard Hicks is leaving because Simon refused to spend money

37. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Sorry to see Hicks stepping down but have no problem with Shade stepping up.

Name change and whatever else, I don't care about. I've been here a limited amount of time and have been a part of other forums much longer. I just love the atmosphere here though. Nobody really goes overboard in being a jerk and the mods have stuck back because there hasn't been much to moderate that I've seen as far as fighting goes. As long as things continue to go swimmingly and people don't become increasingly jerkish/mods power tripping, it doesn't matter to me. I like this site as is, it's great.

But thank you Hicks. I would have signed up much sooner if I had known about this place. I always went to CBSports or ESPN originally, I didn't know we had a good Pacers forum out there. This place is awesome.

Thank you for starting it Hicks, and thank you to the people who will keep it going.
    Last edited by TOP; 07-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

Mood

Thanks Hicks... I appreciate our recent communications and I am thankful for having the opportunity to have passionate banter with the fans and members of PD...

Now, the truth.... Was it the thread about Portland Oregon or the Grangerous rant that was the "last straw"?

Just kidding,.. Go get that bling and that cha-ching!!!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to *astrisk* For This Useful Post:

Seriously though, I do love this place and appreciate that the people running it care about what other people have to say.

I signed up and my first thought was, I think it would be cool if we could put team logos underneath our screen names because it was done on another forum I'm on. I didn't demand it, merely suggested it and if it happened, it happened. If not? Oh well. But they immediately added the feature. I love the people running this site. Again, change whatever just as long as the atmosphere remains the same. That's all I really care about.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOP For This Useful Post:

Thanks Hicks for having the patience and persistence in making this the best sports message board on the web, period.

Honestly I don't know how you did it - you resisted the urge to cash in on the site (against my advice ;-), put tons of time, effort and thought into striking the perfect balance between moderating the site and allowing people to speak their minds (which to me is the key to the site's success), and really nurtured this community from day 1.

As someone who now works in Silicon Valley in the startup/web scene, I get exposed every day to the newest and most cutting-edge social media products out there, put together by some of the most talented minds in the business. Yet it is extremely rare for a site to be able to cultivate a community like this, it's truly remarkable.

Bravo for the hard work, I know it must have been super frustrating dealing with such a cranky and opinionated group of folks ;-). Best of luck with whatever you end up doing with PD.

And good luck to Shade and the mods in their transition. Many of you probably don't know this but I actually designed the first couple PD logos and site layouts together with Hicks back in 2003-ish or whenever that was; perhaps I'll enter the contest for the new logo when the time comes, for old time's sake!

45. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

It's easy to take for granted that this forum will always be there whenever I need to put my finger on the pulse of the best Pacers fans around. For that, I say thanks, Hicks. I'm sure the work involved in running this forum is beyond what most of us realize. Good luck!

And good luck to you, too, Shade. Looking forward to this site going forward.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

We butted heads when I first joined, but I've grown up and we both love the Pacers. Thanks for all you've done, Hicks.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to IUfan4life For This Useful Post: