Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts from training camp

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts from training camp

Saw a tweet today about some of the guys were getting into it with each other. At one point OT Winston Justice threw Jerry Hughes helmet across the field.

It's just too dang hot out there for those guys.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

#Colts Andrew Luck's four-day passing totals: 101-of-131 (77.1 pct), 4 INTs. He's simply sharp.
    https://twitter.com/mchappell51/stat...26226599833601

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Phillip B Wilson ‏@pwilson24

#Colts trade CB Kevin Thomas, conditional 7th-round pick to Philly for LBs Moise Fokou and Greg Lloyd.
    Expand

Retweet
    Favorite

Didn't Greg Lloyd retire like 14 years ago?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty funny if the coach asked the fan to change out jerseys. However if he really told him "or get out" then the coach should be fired. Means he wouldn't have enough composure to run a football team.
    I have no doubt in my mind that if he said that exactly, it was a joke. However, I think the word was probably misconstrued a bit.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Phillip B Wilson ‏@pwilson24

#Colts trade CB Kevin Thomas, conditional 7th-round pick to Philly for LBs Moise Fokou and Greg Lloyd.
    Expand

Retweet
    Favorite

Didn't Greg Lloyd retire like 14 years ago?
    Introducing the 2012 Indianapolis Eagles
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Introducing the 2012 Indianapolis Eagles
    No kidding. Never heard of either but reading what Eagles fans have to say Lloyd (son of THE Greg Lloyd) doesn't seem like an NFL caliber player. They say Fokou's a good STer, showed some promise early but didn't fit the scheme Philly installed last year, might be a better fit on the weakside here.

Also, not to count our chickens yet, but Jerry Hughes has apparently had a really good camp. He's the guy I expect the scheme change to benefit the most. He can't get it done this year he'll officially be a washout.

Mood

I am a bit eager to see how our 2 new LB's from the Eagles will fit the 3-4 scheme. Both are young and if one can fill a void and the other be a descent special teams guy and a back-up then it is a winning situation. Hopefully we will see a little more of this action with bringing in new blood, just not more eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I am a bit eager to see how our 2 new LB's from the Eagles will fit the 3-4 scheme. Both are young and if one can fill a void and the other be a descent special teams guy and a back-up then it is a winning situation. Hopefully we will see a little more of this action with bringing in new blood, just not more eagles.
    Im thinking the LB core will be Freeney Conner Angerer and Mathis. Dont see either of the new LBs being anything beside injury replacements/STers

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Im thinking the LB core will be Freeney Conner Angerer and Mathis. Dont see either of the new LBs being anything beside injury replacements/STers
    I totally forgot about Conner. Maybe they can both be good STers and if for some reason a LB goes down with an injury we would be prepared.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    I totally forgot about Conner. Maybe they can both be good STers and if for some reason a LB goes down with an injury we would be prepared.
    Thats what Im hoping for.

I thought Conner did a nice job last year and I dont see him losing his job.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Clayton reports on Indy camp, good stuff. Blu, you might not wanna read this:

Thursday, August 2, 2012
    Luck's presence re-energizes Colts

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The first thing you notice about the new Indianapolis Colts is the energy.
    Owner Jim Irsay has reinvented his organization since releasing Peyton Manning. He has a new coach: Chuck Pagano. He has a new general manager: Ryan Grigson. Gone is the Cover 2 defense, replaced by a 3-4 scheme similar to the ones run in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.
    The energizer, though, is Andrew Luck. There is no replacement for a future Hall of Fame quarterback like Manning. Ask the Dolphins, Bills and others who have tried to manufacture offense after departures of great quarterbacks. The Colts' disastrous 2011 season allowed Luck to fall into Lucas Oil Stadium.
    You also see the extra energy from the veteran defenders. Without Manning, the Colts had no hope last season, and their defense sagged. Quarterback Curtis Painter couldn't generate any offense, so the defense felt as though it were pedaling a stationary bike. Seeing Luck revitalizes not only the defense but also the fan base.
    Here are my five observations from Colts training camp.
    While they could play conservatively on offense, the Colts have thrown open the playbook to Andrew Luck.
    1. Don't be modest about Luck's statistics: When the Colts drafted tight ends Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen, my first visions of the Colts' offense in 2012 were conservative. Going to a two-tight end running offense for a rookie quarterback is smart. From what you see on the field at Anderson University, it's not out of question for Luck to throw between 3,500 and 4,000 yards.
    As pass-catchers, the Colts should be better than anticipated, and Luck is as billed. He has the look of being the most complete quarterback talent to enter in the NFL in decades. He makes all the throws. He's mature beyond his years. He's the real deal. And the Colts have weapons. Peyton Manning entered the NFL in 1998 with Marshall Faulk at halfback, Marvin Harrison at receiver, Ken Dilger at tight end and Adam Meadows and Tarik Glenn at tackles. He threw for 3,739 yards in a season the Colts went 3-13. To give Luck dependable targets, the Colts retained Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie. Third-round selection T.Y. Hilton is in development. The surprise in camp is fifth-year veteran Donnie Avery, who could emerge as a deep threat.
    2. The Colts made the right hire for offensive coordinator in Bruce Arians: Peyton Manning helped turn the NFL into more of a quarterback-driven league, but Arians' role in this transition can't be underestimated. Behind the scenes, Arians played a big part in developing some of the top quarterbacks. He was Manning's first quarterbacks coach, did good things with Tim Couch in Cleveland and developed Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh. He sees the skills of all three of those quarterbacks in Luck.
    Arians has 14 years of experience working with first-round quarterbacks, and he has a chip on his shoulder after the Steelers let him go after the season. What he brings from the Steelers is the ability to develop unknown receivers within his scheme to work with great quarterbacks. A couple of years ago, no one had heard of Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown or Emmanuel Sanders. He brings the vision of those Pittsburgh success stories to Indianapolis. Avery, in Arians' eyes, could become his Wallace. In time, Hilton could become his Brown or Sanders. Arians didn't hold anything back in presenting his offense to Luck. He threw the entire playbook at him, hoping to see what works and what doesn't. Arians won't be calling 40 passes a game for Luck, but he'll try to make sure he can complete 20 a game.
    3. Job changes for Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney: It's strange seeing the league's best pass-rushing defensive ends at linebacker, but Pagano came from Baltimore and is installing the 3-4. Here's the rationale: Under Tony Dungy, the Colts built a defense that worked with the lead. Manning put up seven consecutive seasons of 12-plus wins and was a master of setting up victories in the fourth quarter. Working with the lead, Freeney and Mathis were expected to close out games with sacks, turnovers and stops. Minus Manning, the Colts don't figure to be working with the lead, and Pagano has had to figure a way to augment the changing personnel.
    The 3-4 gives Pagano the chance to be creative with where he lines up defenders to confuse offenses. Because more teams are using three- and four-receiver sets, Freeney and Mathis figure to put a hand on the ground and rush from defensive end positions in sub packages more than 50 percent of the time. Freeney and Mathis have a great chance to pick up sacks at Lucas Oil Stadium. The crowd can be loud, and the home schedule features a slew of young quarterbacks -- Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden, possibly Jake Locker and maybe Ryan Tannehill late in the season.
    4. Fleener and Allen have been impressive: The tight end combination of Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen isn't anything like the Patriots' tandem of Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, but the Colts' duo is an impressive pair. Fleener is the classic tight end: a tall, angular pass-catcher who can work the middle of the field and be a favorite target of his former college teammate, Luck. In some ways, Allen looks more impressive even though he was drafted a round later than Fleener, a second-round choice. Allen is a big athlete who can move well in addition to being a good blocker. He has a little bit of a Jermichael Finley look to him.
    5. Study the rosters of the Ravens and Eagles: Pagano comes from Baltimore. Grigson comes from Philadelphia. The Colts have depth problems at linebacker and in the secondary. Many of those holes will be filled by players cut or traded by the Eagles and Ravens. Pagano has already brought in defensive end Cory Redding and safety Tom Zbikowski. On Thursday, the Colts traded cornerback Kevin Thomas and a conditional seventh-round choice to get Moise Fokou and Greg Lloyd. The next moves will be at cornerback. Jerraud Powers is their best corner. Justin King and Cassius Vaughnare their next two. Both the Ravens and Eagles are deep at corner. Expect some to be with the Colts, who have the top waiver-wire-claiming clout.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

So far, I've been impressed with Grigson, Pagano & Co. Of course, we need to see the team on the field in preseason and, more importantly how the regular season progresses. Taking nothing from PM's greatness, but the program as a whole needed refreshing and energy. At least we know Pagano, Arians, et al are bringing that.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    So far, I've been impressed with Grigson, Pagano & Co. Of course, we need to see the team on the field in preseason and, more importantly how the regular season progresses. Taking nothing from PM's greatness, but the program as a whole needed refreshing and energy. At least we know Pagano, Arians, et al are bringing that.
    I agree. One specific thing that I'm hoping they're changing from the PM years is development of backup QBs. You used to hear how PM wanted to take all the snaps in practice. That sounded like an admirable quality until PM got hurt and we had to play the backups. Then we regretted it. I hope Luck isn't selfish with the practice snaps.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Clayton reports on Indy camp, good stuff. Blu, you might not wanna read this:
    I did read it. I hope he proves to be correct...... ...

Mood

I didn't know the Colts signed Kris Adams by far my favorite Bear in camp last year. I was pissed when we cut him mid season off the PS he was much better than a few players we kept. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes one of Luck's favorite target he makes a ton of tough catches. I hope he sticks he deserves it especially with his killer camp last year. I think the Bears would of liked to keep him but $$ wise they couldn't.