Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

it'd probably be NBA-only (including non-US citizens).
    but some teams aren't very NBA heavy and would benefit. e.g., pre-TWolves signings Russia would only lose Mozgov. Lithuania would lose Kleiza.
    There's a number of other powerful Euro teams that aren't NBA heavy at all, but they missed these Olympics (Greece, Serbia, Croatia..).

also, if it's FIBA-like U23, meaning it's guys who have their 23rd birthdays this year (born '89 and later), that takes away a lot of those US names. Durant, Love, Stephen Curry, Brook Lopez, McGee, Rose, Westbrook, Eric Gordon.

Your team is something like:
    1 - Irving, John Wall
    2- James Harden, Tyreke Evans
    3 - Paul George, Kwahi Leonard
    4 - Anthony Davis, Favors
    5 - Cousins, Greg Monroe
    (The last two spots - probably someone of Jrue Holiday, Kenneth Faried, Derrick Williams, Jrue Holiday, or rookies)

And some of them wouldn't take part for one reason or another. Still an impressive team, but I don't think it's unbeatable.
    Last edited by ballism; 08-01-2012 at 06:52 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

wait...non-NBA? So playing professionally in America would disqualify you, but not in Europe?

Could we be any more patronizing? Perhaps we should force team USA to hop around on one leg the entire game, or shoot at 15-foot baskets....you know, to re-enforce the idea that everyone else is inferior and needs to be helped by handicapping Americans....
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-01-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm assuming that the US will be the only country that goes to under 23.
    .....no. They wouldn't have one rule for team USA and a completely different set of rules for everyone else. That's what started the NBA movement in the olympics to begin with.

USA basketball would boycott the olympics before that happened again.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-01-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Stern's statement was that the league isn't committed to send its veteran stars to Rio.
    I'm sure his preference would be for FIBA to impose a general U23 limitation. I don't know that they have a reason to.
    So in all likelihood Stern will either have to back off, or proceed the way he suggested and do it at an NBA level.

There won't be a self-imposed U-23 rule for JUST the NBA. That would be patronizing to everyone involved.

There would be no point in having men's basketball at the olympics anymore.

If the NBA agrees to keep sending senior teams to the WCB, FIBA will be more than happy to have a U-23 Olympic rule. The WCB badly needs the publicity.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-01-2012 at 08:41 AM.

While I personally agree with you, what reason does any country outside of the US have to support the U-23 rules? They want to medal. Greek, Chinese, Lithuanian, etc guys want to play in the Olympics. Medals don't mean much to Americans, but I've been in countries during the Olympics where a single gold medal means a ton to the people there. Depriving them of the chance in one of the few sports they can compete in would be a tough sell.

Having said that, America has a lot of pull in FIBA and could conceivably push it through, especially if the WCB starts gaining steam (and I hope it does).

This also conveniently gives the US an excuse to lose every once in a while and still feel a sense of superiority. "Eh, if Durant was playing we woulda won. Other countries are all playing their pro guys."

that's exactly what caused the USA to send NBA players in the first place. If it's not a universal rule,. the first time the USA doesn't medal there will be another massive public outrage that will start things all over again.

The gold medal in basketball doesn't mean much to Americans....until they lose. Then all hell breaks lose. They overhauled the whole USA basketball structure in 1988 and again after 2004. ****, people still treat 1972 as a national tragedy.

Americans don't tolerate watching Americans lose at basketball in the ******* olympics. They really don't care about the WCB, but the Olympics is a national pride thing. The NBA won't be able to sell a U-23 idea to the public unless its a universal one with a level playing field. So long as the USA can send a dominant team every 4 years, it'll be easier to swallow.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-01-2012 at 10:08 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    that's exactly what caused the USA to send NBA players in the first place. If it's not a universal rule,. the first time the USA doesn't medal there will be another massive public outrage that will start things all over again.

The gold medal in basketball doesn't mean much to Americans....until they lose. Then all hell breaks lose. They overhauled the whole USA basketball structure in 1988 and again after 2004. ****, people still treat 1972 as a national tragedy.

Americans don't tolerate watching Americans lose at basketball in the ******* olympics. They really don't care about the WCB, but the Olympics is a national pride thing. The NBA won't be able to sell a U-23 idea to the public unless its a universal one with a level playing field. So long as the USA can send a dominant team every 4 years, it'll be easier to swallow.
    With the value of a legitimate NBA star being so ridiculously high I doubt the owners will allow them to be in the Olympics after this year. They're exceedingly valuable employees and it doesn't make sense to let them get hurt while making someone else millions of dollars. At least with the WCB the owners will get a piece of the action.

To me it all depends on the WCB. If it works the way it's supposed to then Americans won't care as much if we lose in the Olympics. I'm sure for one or two Olympic games there will be some grumbling by sportswriters and fans but the money to be made it worth enough that the NBA will weather that storm.

If the WCB doesn't totally work, I can see the backlash you're talking about. People will be annoyed that this tournament is keeping our best players out of the Olympics while every other country sends pros.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see something implemented similar to Olympic soccer:

Since 1992 male competitors must be under 23 years old, with three over-23 players allowed per squad. The new format allows teams from around the world to compete equally, and African countries have taken particular advantage of this, with Nigeria and Cameroon winning in 1996 and 2000 respectively.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footbal...ummer_Olympics

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    With the value of a legitimate NBA star being so ridiculously high I doubt the owners will allow them to be in the Olympics after this year.
    Collins had a good point yesterday. The players are going to be playing basketball in the off-season anyway.

Wouldn't you rather they play in the Olympics instead of pickup ball at their college or hometown?

Obviously better trainers and your investment gets better by playing with and against the best talent in the world.

Yeah...I think the complaint is that the owners are showcasing their $100 million investments to the whole world for free. The injury thing is just a convenient excuse to pull them.

Notice no owners are as concerned about the WCB.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

billbradley

Olympians need to get some money before owners.

Russia gives their athletes over 135k for Gold. US 25k.

Russian athletes need the money more.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have my doubts about people losing interest in Olympic basketball because the WCB is supposed to be the bigger deal, especially when the focus switch to the WCB by the NBA is to insure they make money off of it. The NBA and its players are making a sacrifice to send the best to be on the Olympic team, and should be able to capitalize on it. Instead, all we hear about is owners complaining how this hurts their bottom line. I don't see how the WCB will ever overtake the prestige of the Olympics. Comparing it to soccer's set up is irrelevant because soccer is irrelevant to most in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    All USA Basketball games are on the NBCSports Channel, formally verses. They show them live during the day. Find your local times and stations here: http://www.nbcolympics.com/get-local/tvlistings.html
    Not with Metronet, apparently. Weirdest thing. They have the channel, but the channel doesn't show the Olympics, it shows fishing and whatnot. Frustrating.

billbradley

Russian athletes need the money more.
    How so? Not every Olympian is Phelps and backed by tons of endorsements.

A lot more olympic athletes get endorsement money in this country than people realize. I'm not saying it's great money, but a lot of countries need the financial incentive to motivate their young athletes to train. In America young athletes get much more of an opportunity outside of their sport, in the form of endorsements, college scholarships, etc.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-01-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Here in Charlotte time Warner digital has an entire channel dedicated to Olympic basketball, replays are shown when the games are no longer live.

billbradley

A lot more olympic athletes get endorsement money in this country than people realize. I'm not saying it's great money, but a lot of countries need the financial incentive to motivate their young athletes to train. In America young athletes get much more of an opportunity outside of their sport, in the form of endorsements, college scholarships, etc.
    The USA Track and Field Foundation recently conducted a survey to find out how well their athletes do financially, since figures aren’t readily available. Track and field is one of the most visible sports at the Games, but you’ll be surprised to learn that even if you’re one of the fastest people in the country, you’re probably better off washing cars.

- Approximately 50% of our athletes who rank in the top 10 in the USA in their event make less than $15,000 annually from the sport (sponsorship, grants, prize money, etc.).

- Approximately 20% of our athletes in the top 10 in the USA in their event make more than $50,000 annually.

- Athletes outside of a top 10 USA ranking, other than some sprinters, milers, and distance runners, can expect to face very limited (if any) income support.
    http://www.sportsgrid.com/sports-pol...etes-are-poor/

This is a silly comparison. I thought we we talking about medal winners. What does being top ten at your sport in Russia earn you?

If you run track expecting to make a good living off of it, you're an idiot. Track athletes use their craft to get college scholarship and get good jobs. The Olympics is a childhood dream but to treat it like a money machine is absurd. I don't see why the united states needs to be supporting them financially.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-01-2012 at 11:16 AM.

billbradley

Here in Charlotte time Warner digital has an entire channel dedicated to Olympic basketball, replays are shown when the games are no longer live.
    We have the same channel in Indy for ATT cable customers.

billbradley

This is a silly comparison. I thought we we talking about medal winners. What does being top ten at your sport in Russia earn you?
    I was just saying Olympians should be getting paid before owners.

billbradley

The Olympics is a childhood dream but to treat it like a money machine is absurd.
    The Olympics are a money machine.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    The Olympics are a money machine.
    ...and it remains a money machine no matter what nameless track and field athletes are competing.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-01-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    I was just saying Olympians should be getting paid before owners.
    I don't think they need to be getting paid more than they are. They have enough opportunities in this country to make a good living.

billbradley

I don't think they need to be getting paid more than they are. They have enough opportunities in this country to make a good living.
    Okay, then you agree the owners shouldn't be compensated either.