Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
Results 426 to 450 of 455

Thread: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

  1. #426
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny that I was thinking the same thing about Spain, I would love to watch that team play in the NBA.
    Yeah, I almost said Spain, but I figured with the Gasol brothers, Calderon, Ibaka, etc it'd be too unrealistic. Because turning an entire national team into an NBA squad is a distinct possibility of course.

  2. #427
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I almost said Spain, but I figured with the Gasol brothers, Calderon, Ibaka, etc it'd be too unrealistic. Because turning an entire national team into an NBA squad is a distinct possibility of course.
    Who knows? There were rumors that Memphis wanted Paul back and then they can sign Calderon next year as a free agent? I guess I can dream right?

  3. #428
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    It seemed like a lot better idea before Argentina had to bench Manu and immediately went down 20. Plus, I like Delfino a little bit, but when he's the 3rd piece of your big three, you may be in trouble.

  4. #429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Manu knows that this is his last Olympic with Argentina.

  5. #430
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Man everytime I see Scola play I get this pain inside, he would have been so nice here, I just can't let it go

  6. #431
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    c'mon K, what's it take for Davis to get some burn

  7. #432

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Feel so bad for Manu. He's such a great basketball player. Hopefully they get the Bronze.

  8. #433
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Feel so bad for Manu. He's such a great basketball player. Hopefully they get the Bronze.
    Doubt it, Russia is to good.

  9. #434

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doubt it, Russia is to good.
    Yea, but team's always have a shot when they've got the best player.

  10. #435

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doubt it, Russia is to good.
    And Argentina is just too old...
    But who knows - russians played hard till the last seconds while Argentina mostly rested in the second half.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  11. #436
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,466

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Team USA is still head and shoulders above everyone else. Spain squeaks by Russia while the US blows out Argentina. I don't see the Spaniards hanging with us this time.

  12. #437
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,179

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    This may sound strange, but I really, really wish Spain had Rubio healthy. What an awesome game that would be. Even still, I don't think we blow them to pieces, but with a healthy Rubio...I'm a little scared.

  13. #438
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    FIBA says U-23 is unlikely, at least for the next Olympics.

    FIBA chief Patrick Baumann, secretary general of the sport's international governing body, said Saturday: "My feeling is that we will not be proposing a 23 age limit for the 2016 Olympic Games."

    "The NBA has come up with the idea to go with under 23 and at the same time to promote younger athletes," Baumann said. "And also to make a (distinction) between the (new) World Cup and the Olympic Games (by making only the World Cup open to NBA players of all ages).

    "From FIBA's perspective, we understand the perspective from USA Basketball and the NBA," Baumann continued. "I'm not sure (we) necessarily have the same idea, but we understand the owners' concerns."
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...-2016-olympics

    (thank God, Olympics format > World Cup and will stay that way until there are 25+ teams in the world at least at Lithuania/Greece level or higher; now there are probably 10 or 11)

  14. #439
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FIBA says U-23 is unlikely, at least for the next Olympics.



    http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...-2016-olympics

    (thank God, Olympics format > World Cup and will stay that way until there are 25+ teams in the world at least at Lithuania/Greece level or higher; now there are probably 10 or 11)
    Thank God. The mens soccer tourney is awful because of this.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  15. #440
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Speaking of soccer, how about this gold medal game?

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #441
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Shaping up to be a repeat of 2008. Id start sending the press anytime now, Krzyzewski. Spain is waaaaay too comfortable feeding the post.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  17. #442
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I do love how running through a guys legs on a 3 is perfectly legal.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  18. #443
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Congrats, boys. You're golden again.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  19. #444
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    BTW, LeBron is going to get a lot of press from this game, but Chris Paul was the guy that kept everyone from losing their cool.

    Paul was targeted with every cheap shot imaginable in the second half, never got the benefit of a whistle, and despite that he stayed calm and directed the offense to near perfection.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-12-2012 at 12:05 PM.

  20. #445
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    BTW, I'd like to thank coach K and Kobe and LeBron of all people, for spearheading the culture shift of USA basketball back to its original dream team roots of playing with genuine love for the game and being ambassadors of the sport on the world stage.

    We definitely won't see Krzyzewski or Kobe again, though I think we can coax one more Olympics out of LeBron.

    My vote for the next coach is Poppovich.
    Last edited by Kstat; 08-12-2012 at 12:05 PM.

  21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  22. #446
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    We have an amazing wealth of basketball riches in this country.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  24. #447
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,284
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    This was so much fun to watch.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  25. #448
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,259

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have an amazing wealth of basketball riches in this country.
    Between the men's and women's teams, since the beginning of the dream team era (last 6 Olympics):

    10 gold medals, 2 bronze, and a combined record of 89-4.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  27. #449

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BTW, LeBron is going to get a lot of press from this game, but Chris Paul was the guy that kept everyone from losing their cool.

    Paul was targeted with every cheap shot imaginable in the second half, never got the benefit of a whistle, and despite that he stayed calm and directed the offense to near perfection.
    I was going to say that. CP3 has been the unsung hero of the Olympics for the men's team. He's probably made more "quietly huge" plays than any player on the roster. Outstanding PG play from him.

  28. #450
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,466

    Default Re: 2012 Summer Olympic Basketball Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Team USA is still head and shoulders above everyone else. Spain squeaks by Russia while the US blows out Argentina. I don't see the Spaniards hanging with us this time.
    Well I was wrong. I did not see Navarro and Fernandez having such great games since they had been pretty awful previously. Spain scored 66 against Russia and 100 against the U.S. So much for defense.

    And in the end the U.S. easily beats China in both gold medals and total medals. Beijing was a fluke for the Chinese as the host country usually sees a large boost in medals won.

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 London Summer Olympics thread
    By Heisenberg in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 08:35 AM
  2. Spain, Argentina seek 2012 Olympic spots (AP) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
  3. Construct Your own 2012 Olympic Dream Team...
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 04:45 AM
  4. Olympic Basketball Thread
    By rexnom in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 667
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
  5. U.S. Mens Olympic Basketball Team
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •