Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 London Summer Olympics thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 London Summer Olympics thread

Handball is a pretty cool looking sport.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

GABBY!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

So proud of her! I was going to be so upset if the Russian beat her. As great as she was on three events, she was terrible on the vault, and Gabby was great on everything.

That's three in a row for All around Gold, when there had only been one All around winner previously. Kind of funny, Carla was a bit of a surprise. With Nastia, it was hilarious, because it was all "Shawn Shawn Shawn" media wise. (Although, there was a good argument that Shawn should have won gold, but international gymnastics like Nastia's style much more than Shawn's.) And once again, more people expected Jordyn to win Gold, not so much Gabby.

Really wish Ali had gotten that bronze though. I hope she gets a gold on the "floor" (I believe she's competing in that) And I'm hoping Jordyn gets a gold in a single event too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I can't wait for Oscar Pistorius. I have no disillusions about him making the finals or anything, but just seeing a guy with no legs in a sprint in the actual Olympics. "Inspire a generation" indeed.

Just got back from my lunch break and was watching Mens beach volleyball.. Rogers was playing terrible and Dalhausser was struggling too, they are getting beat pretty bad by the Italians. Rogers is fighting with a hamstring injury, but this is probably the worst I have seen them play.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So proud of her! I was going to be so upset if the Russian beat her. As great as she was on three events, she was terrible on the vault, and Gabby was great on everything.

That's three in a row for All around Gold, when there had only been one All around winner previously. Kind of funny, Carla was a bit of a surprise. With Nastia, it was hilarious, because it was all "Shawn Shawn Shawn" media wise. (Although, there was a good argument that Shawn should have won gold, but international gymnastics like Nastia's style much more than Shawn's.) And once again, more people expected Jordyn to win Gold, not so much Gabby.

Really wish Ali had gotten that bronze though. I hope she gets a gold on the "floor" (I believe she's competing in that) And I'm hoping Jordyn gets a gold in a single event too.
    Im no Gymnastics expert or anything thing but that Russian clearly won IMO. She nailed the floor routine and Gabby stepped out I honestly didn't see a mistake in that Russian's last event. That judging was about as bad as the Bradley vs Pacman fight. I get the vibe that gymnastics is as corrupt as boxing.

You're kinda forgetting the fact that Gabby won, beacause she had a lead. The russian girl, not only had to beat her floor score, she also had to win by enough to cover the difference coming into the event.

Gabby scored a 15.033 on the floor.
    Victoria Komova scored a 15.10.

The Russian girl beat her in every event, except vault. Gabby outscored her by 0.5 on that one event, and that was all the difference.

http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics...0803-141520353

EDIT: Whoops, Gabby also beat her on balance beam.
    Last edited by Since86; 08-03-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You're kinda forgetting the fact that Gabby won, beacause she had a lead. The russian girl, not only had to beat her floor score, she also had to win by enough to cover the difference coming into the event.
    no im not gabby stepped out and they didn't catch it. I thought the Russian girl deserved a perfect score and no doubt in my mind she did well enough to beat the score she needed to beat(which wasn't all that high If you looked at their faces while waiting the scores I think Gabby though she lost).

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    no im not gabby stepped out and they didn't catch it. I thought the Russian girl deserved a perfect score and no doubt in my mind she did well enough to beat the score she needed to beat(which wasn't all that high If you looked at their faces while waiting the scores I think Gabby though she lost).
    Did you have a secret camera angle? The one shot obviously wasn't good enough to see it, and the judges that sit on the corners didn't see it. Just wondering who you saw her step out, when no one else did.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

There was not a definitive shot showing Gabby stepping out. Gabby's vaulting and beam won her the gold and they were both superb. She has a move in her beam routine that is one of the most difficult in the world and she stuck it. All of Gabby's routines are high difficulty and people knew all along that if she could be consistent on all 4 events her high starting scores would beat anyone else.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Also, the Russian has the exact same vault Gabby does in her arsenal apparently and chose not to do it because she was afraid to mess up. Sorry, but I can't reward her for that. She knew she would have a better chance to win if she did the same vault as Gabby and chose not to.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Im no Gymnastics expert or anything thing but that Russian clearly won IMO. She nailed the floor routine and Gabby stepped out I honestly didn't see a mistake in that Russian's last event. That judging was about as bad as the Bradley vs Pacman fight. I get the vibe that gymnastics is as corrupt as boxing.
    Gabby actually didn't step out.

Also, it's all four events. Gabby didn't have a major error in any event. The Russian on the other hand took like four steps and went off the mat on the vault. With Gabby not making an error, that was game set match. She was just as good as Gabby on the other three, but Gabby was significantly better on the vault.

You also aren't taking in consideration difficulty. The Russian would have had to be pretty much flawless to beat Gabby. And also she was great, there were still tiny things to deduct from.

The judging has gotten significantly better in gymnastics, because they've added the difficulty to part of the score. There's some bias, and they make mistakes, but it really isn't much worse than reffing now a days. The bias would actually tend to be in favor of the Russians, because that's just the international preference for gymnasts. International gymnastics likes long lines (ballerina-esque) where as American's prefer the power gymnasts. It's a huge reasons why Nastia beat Shawn last year.

edit: BTW Trader, I believe the blonde Russian did do the same vault as Gabby, she just screwed it up. (Took three steps and landed off the mat..) They said she had just learned it though. The other Russian used to, but is incapable of doing it after injuries.
    Last edited by Sookie; 08-04-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Yeah, not sure how you can say the Russian deserved it over Gabby after that horrific vault she had. Gabby didn't have any major flaws last night. She was down right amazing on the vault and rather impressive on the beam. Then she put up more than solid floor and uneven bar routines. She didn't step out last night, it was close, but the camera didnt have a good angle and the judge never signaled she was out. That judge had a better view than anyone else.

I actually used to be a gymnast back in the day. Was a ton of fun. But i had to choose between basketball and gymnastics and i chose basketball. Probably the wise choice as I'm 6'4" and the tallest gymnast on the US team was like 5'7" haha.

Also, Michael Phelps is just incredible. His record, my goodness. 21 medals is just ridiculous. 17 are gold. If they get the gold tomorrow in the relay, he will have as many golds as the next person has medals overall. So awesome that we are able to watch him do this.

No legs? No problem. South Africa's Pistorius advances in 400 meters qualifying.

Mood

Serena Williams. Wow.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Usain Bolt won his 100m heat, but it was the slowest heat overall thus far. He may not even medal in the final race. Crazy that of Tyson Gay/Bolt/Justin Gatlin/Ryan Bailey/Asafa Powell/Yohan Blake/Dwayne Chamber so many of them won't medal. They are all REALLY good.
    Last edited by idioteque; 08-04-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Just watched Women's Discus throw. Those Eastern European women scare me, built like bears. Primal rage.

Probably the most funny detail of the Olympics is the mini cooper RC car they use to return the discus to the athletes.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 08-05-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Usain Bolt won his 100m heat, but it was the slowest heat overall thus far. He may not even medal in the final race. Crazy that of Tyson Gay/Bolt/Justin Gatlin/Ryan Bailey/Asafa Powell/Yohan Blake/Dwayne Chamber so many of them won't medal. They are all REALLY good.
    Did you watch him though? He was barely trying. He was practically jogging his way past the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    No legs? No problem. South Africa's Pistorius advances in 400 meters qualifying.
    I watched that race, I think this guy is gonna get a medal. I watched him let up a bit as he chased down the guy who is the WR holder.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

God save the queen! The UK has crept in third in overall medals and now Murray is winning against Federer in the tennis gold medal match.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    God save the queen! The UK has crept in third in overall medals and now Murray is winning against Federer in the tennis gold medal match.
    It's always nice to see host countries perform well.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

USA women tore through China. Tied the most points ever for the women with 114.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    USA women tore through China. Tied the most points ever for the women with 114.
    That second period was killer.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Mood

Williams sisters and Bryan brothers bring home more American gold in tennis doubles. How crazy and amazing is it to have two sibling teams competing and winning at the highest level like this?

Once those four are gone it may never happen again, in any country.
    Last edited by gummy; 08-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

May and Walsh advance to the semi-final today beating Italia. I'm loving beach volleyball, have they ever had an event at Bankerslife. Seems ideally suited venue minus the sunshine. Bracket is set up that we could see an all USA gold medal match.