Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 2012 London Summer Olympics thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 London Summer Olympics thread

What made this Olympics so good was the historic performances. Maybe I'm just living in the moment too much with the London games, but the records we saw broken this year were amazing. Bolt repeating in the 100 and 200 and anchoring the 4x1 to a new WR. USA winning gold in 10m mens platform diving. Women's gymnastics winning team gold and Gabby winning all around gold continuing the American domination of the event. And biggest of all, Michael Phelps. To think, since 2004, i've watched this man win 22 medals, 18 of the gold, thats something you tell your kids about. And there were more that I'm leaving out. The performance of the USA women in general was spectacular.

What made this Olympics so bad was knowing the results before every event happened. Its impossible not to be spoiled when you live on the West Coast. Especially when you are from the East Coast and all your East Coast friends are on twitter while they watch the Olympics. I wish they would have aired more stuff live and just re-air it later. Everyone already knew the results honestly. And they still watched. NBC still would have had massive viewing numbers because not many people would be able to watch it live anyways.

As for where it ranks for me? Hard to say. I was traveling during the 2008 games so can't compare that much. Sydney may have been the best imo. It was the first Olympics I really got in to (I was 10). Was probably just nostalgia. And I think Australia is awesome.

Because the 2008 games where in China they were able to show many events live in prime time. Swimming was mostly live, a lot of the track and field was too. No way they could do that from London.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, but NBC's ratings were the highest they have been since the Atlanta game of 1996. So that tells me the way they televised them was correct. Of course you could make the argument that if they covered them correctly the ratings would have been even higher. we'll never know for sure. But things aren't going to change.

another thing, more females watch the coverage than males - only spoting even that is the case. So the coverage is vastly different
    It's really a chicken or the egg type of discussion. Do the Olympics actually attract that big of an audience, or is the audience pretty much forced into watching the Olympics because there isn't anything else on? I watched a lot more Olympic coverage than I would have, if I had any other choice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's really a chicken or the egg type of discussion. Do the Olympics actually attract that big of an audience, or is the audience pretty much forced into watching the Olympics because there isn't anything else on? I watched a lot more Olympic coverage than I would have, if I had any other choice.
    I think a lot of people more or less force themselves to watch the games. What I mean is they watch every 4 years, they know it is only every 4 years, it is a tradition - it is patriotic. True that there is hardly anything else on as other networks and cable stations don't want to waste new shows against the Olympics. But the ratings are so high it has IMO very little to do with nothing else being on. (winter Olympics, there is plenty else on)

The ratings are huge though. To average over 30 Million viewers in prime time over the 2.5 weeks is a lot. The NFL playoffs is the only thing that beats it.

I watch it because I enjoy watching it. I enjoy it because it is different (although I might have watched 5 minutes total of the basketball coverage - I watch enough NBA duirng the season) I enjoy watching the other sports I don't otherwise watch. I also know it is going to be covered differently from a normal sporting event and I like that also.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But the ratings are so high it has IMO very little to do with nothing else being on. (winter Olympics, there is plenty else on)
    Is there actually something that backs up this idea though? It's pretty much a self-fullfilling prophecy at this point.

If networks refuse to run anything against them, how can we know which reason it really is?

This might demonstrate that people don't really go out of their way to watch events live

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...able-networks/

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This might demonstrate that people don't really go out of their way to watch events live

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...able-networks/
    eh, NBC saved all the good events for primetime though. the live events that i found myself watching were basketball and womens soccer because they were the best ones. other than that, i usually just kept the TV on NBC cause it was more Team USA stuff while MSNBC aired Argentina vs Brazil in mens volleyball.

i would be more interested in online viewership.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    eh, NBC saved all the good events for primetime though. the live events that i found myself watching were basketball and womens soccer because they were the best ones. other than that, i usually just kept the TV on NBC cause it was more Team USA stuff while MSNBC aired Argentina vs Brazil in mens volleyball.

i would be more interested in online viewership.

I believe there are online viewing numbers in this link - towards the bottom

http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/s...4891424945.xml