Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 London Summer Olympics thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012 London Summer Olympics thread

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you watch him though? He was barely trying. He was practically jogging his way past the line.
    I agree with you, I think he could turn it on, but from what I've heard in the last year or so Bolt has been a little off. My wife is Jamaican and her family follows track like we follow basketball, and they claim that Yohan Blake may be better than Bolt at this point. Bolt has always been a great athlete but there have always been lingering questions about his work ethic. He's apparently started taking things seriously again for the Olympics though so he may be at peak form.

How is it possible that the Turkish Women's Volleyball team all look like super models?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    USA women tore through China. Tied the most points ever for the women with 114.
    The first period they were losing a majority of the time too. But the second period 30-8..

It's a significantly different team when Fowles is playing.

Taurasi had a great game again. But Bird and Whalen were a little off (passes weren't as crisp..etc..), and Whalen's been fantastic the entire time and Bird had started playing well as of late. Scary that we haven't seen this team's best game.

I'm not sure if this was shown yet or not..so I'm going to put it in a spoiler but..

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Last edited by Sookie; 08-05-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    The first period they were losing a majority of the time too. But the second period 30-8..

It's a significantly different team when Fowles is playing.

Taurasi had a great game again. But Bird and Whalen were a little off (passes weren't as crisp..etc..), and Whalen's been fantastic the entire time and Bird had started playing well as of late. Scary that we haven't seen this team's best game.

I'm not sure if this was shown yet or not..so I'm going to put it in a spoiler but..

Spoiler Spoiler:
    I don't watch a ton of women's basketball, so take my comment for what it is worth, but I was most impressed by Mccotry (sp). Despite seemingly being undersized it seemed she was real aggressive on the boards and finished very well. I really liked her game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I agree with you, I think he could turn it on, but from what I've heard in the last year or so Bolt has been a little off. My wife is Jamaican and her family follows track like we follow basketball, and they claim that Yohan Blake may be better than Bolt at this point. Bolt has always been a great athlete but there have always been lingering questions about his work ethic. He's apparently started taking things seriously again for the Olympics though so he may be at peak form.
    sounds an awful lot like Phelps/Lochte

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I don't watch a ton of women's basketball, so take my comment for what it is worth, but I was most impressed by Mccotry (sp). Despite seemingly being undersized it seemed she was real aggressive on the boards and finished very well. I really liked her game.
    angel mccoughtry, yea, she's been fantastic. She was actually one of those "fly under the radar" players, and ended up at a non-powerhouse type of college. She's good enough to where she can carry a team very deep in post season but always manages to run into those "power house" teams that just weren't going to get beat. (Uconn in College, Minnesota, Seattle) Really really great player. She's very good at getting to the basket. Her downfall tends to be that she can have, at times, the "young Kobe" mentality.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

IU's Derek Drouin made the high jump final, he'll compete on Tuesday

Bolts wins gold again. Running the length of a football field ( actually 109 yds) in 9.63 seconds. It's mind boggling.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Bolts wins gold again. Running the length of a football field ( actually 109 yds) in 9.63 seconds. It's mind boggling.

I've had a hard time finding video of this race this morning. Is NBC really that tight on coverage that even the Internet is disallowed from replaying this stuff? This is getting really old. You would think the Olympics, of all things, would be or should be one of the MOST internationally accessible things on the planet, yet I've barely gotten to see anything I want between my TV provider's rights (apparently) and then Internet policing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

The 100 meters was loaded, sad to see Tyson Gay lose out on a medal after working to come back from injury.

Your early morning gymnastics spoiler
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I've had a hard time finding video of this race this morning. Is NBC really that tight on coverage that even the Internet is disallowed from replaying this stuff? This is getting really old. You would think the Olympics, of all things, would be or should be one of the MOST internationally accessible things on the planet, yet I've barely gotten to see anything I want between my TV provider's rights (apparently) and then Internet policing.
    Yes. NBC actually complained to twitter about a British journalist tweeting results, and twitter suspended his account for a while over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Yes. NBC actually complained to twitter about a British journalist tweeting results, and twitter suspended his account for a while over it.
    I thought it was about him complaining about NBC's coverage

15. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/twitter...3937--oly.html

Twitter apologized Tuesday for suspending the account of a British journalist in an incident which prompted accusations it favored its commercial ties with Olympics broadcaster NBC over media freedoms.

Twitter's response came after an outcry over the suspension of Guy Adams, Los Angeles correspondent for The Independent, who had tweeted his outrage over NBC's delay in broadcasting the opening ceremony in order to catch the primetime audience.

Twitter's general counsel Alex McGillivray said the suspension stemmed from the social media site's "Trust and Safety policies," which prompted the company to look into the publication of an NBC executive's email account.

"We want to apologize for the part of this story that we did mess up," McGillivray wrote on the Twitter blog.

He added that "the account has been unsuspended, and we will actively work to ensure this does not happen again."

Twitter said it took the action after its monitors learned of the disclosure of the NBC executive's email address, which some consider "private" information -- which would be a violation of the site's rules.

"The team working closely with NBC around our Olympics partnership did proactively identify a tweet that was in violation of the Twitter Rules and encouraged them to file a support ticket with our Trust and Safety team to report the violation, as has now been reported publicly," McGillivray said.

"We do not proactively report or remove content on behalf of other users no matter who they are. This behavior is not acceptable and undermines the trust our users have in us.

"We should not and cannot be in the business of proactively monitoring and flagging content, no matter who the user is -- whether a business partner, celebrity or friend."

News that Adams's account was restored came just ahead of Twitter's comments.

"Oh. My Twitter account appears to have been un-suspended. Did I miss much while I was away?" he tweeted.

Twitter and NBC, a unit of Comcast Corp., have what the companies say is a strategic, non-financial partnership for online content during the Olympics.

But Twitter's handling of the matter raised a howl of protests from analysts saying the company was failing to live up to its obligations to protect the free flow of information.

"This is the inevitable result of what happens when we safeguard our free-speech protections to private corporations," said Dan Kennedy, a Northeastern University journalism professor who writes a media blog.

"In the new interdependent media environment, your right to speak and write freely extends only as far as someone else's business interests," Kennedy told AFP.

Jeff Jarvis, a City University of New York journalism professor, made the same point about how journalists and companies should operate in social media.

"Twitter is going to have to learn the lesson that newspapers had to learn when they started accepting advertising: that when trust is your asset, you must run your service and your business according to principles of trust," Jarvis wrote on his "Buzz Machine" blog.

"Newspapers built church/state walls to demonstrate that they could not be bought by sponsors' influence. Twitter needs that wall," he said.

Digital media analyst Rebecca Lieb of the Altimeter Group said: "Twitter is getting a deserved black eye for disabling Guy Adams' account."

"This sets a dangerous precedent," she told AFP.

"Twitter has been lauded in the past for protecting its users, for example against government requests for information. Twitter could suffer possibly irreparable damage if it demonstrates the interests of a business partner take precedence over its policies and users."

Adams earlier said Twitter had bowed to pressure from the broadcaster, claiming he had not contravened the site's rules.

He maintained that he did not publish a private email address, "just a corporate one."

Could be a huge upset brewing that will make us all Alex Morgan fans sad, US Ladies having trouble with Canada in soccer semis.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo

this soccer game's turning into a shootout, there's been like 3 goals in the last 15 minutes

USWNT's defense should be playing for the special olympics...terrible.

Sports Logo

Alex Morgan. CLUTCH.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    USWNT's defense should be playing for the special olympics...terrible.
    It's not that it was bad, but Canada's scorer was having a great game. Nothing you can do on D, just have to outscore them, which was done.

Sent from #ColtsNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    It's not that it was bad, but Canada's scorer was having a great game. Nothing you can do on D, just have to outscore them, which was done.

Sinclair is great, don't get me wrong, but our defense is just atrocious in general. I know Hope got all upset when Chastain called them on it earlier in the Olympics, but Hope has to even realize it. Their angles are terrible, they are often beat by simple quick ball cuts, it's just terrible defending. They're giving up edges when they get to the box. I mean Sinclair's goal where she cut back into the middle of the box when the defender over committed was an alright bit of skill, but it was hugely helped by terrible defense.

Mood

Shannon Boxx's presence is missed but our back four arent awful. It is the weakest link of the team though IMO.

"What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

I had the Canada/USA game streaming while I was at work, but of course I was pulled away right in the middle of extra time. Right now it's being re-aired on NBCSN, and I'm still feeling all that extreme tension I felt earlier. Wow, what a freakin' game.

I definitely think the team misses Boxx.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Reffing was very poor in the Canada-US game.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

We are doing pretty decent and we should be able to surpass our 2008 performance of 16 medals. I don't see us reaching 2004 (22) or 2000 (26) level, but still pretty good Olympics for us aswell. Added atleast 2 gold and 2 bronze today and the mens beachvolley team tonight will try to get into the final. Also still have decent chances at both mens and ladies field hockey and indoor cycling. Hopefully a few others aswell. Who knows?

This was my countries gem for today...

http://nos.nl/os2012/artikel/404023-...p-rekstok.html (video top right), mens high bar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18903127

Also took a look at the medals earned by country so far and pretty surprised to find Spain and Turkey with so few medals until now. Particularly Spain usually gets a lot more then they have so far.
    Last edited by Mourning; 08-07-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    IU's Derek Drouin made the high jump final, he'll compete on Tuesday
    took the bronze

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Usually could care less about womens beach volleyball but just happened to flip it on and watch our #4 ranked team beat the #1 ranked Brazillians, and I honestly wouldn't have cared one way or the other but the way that one of the Brazillian women was constantly taunting us everytime she scored or yelling profusely at her own teammate everytime they got scored upon I rreeeaallly wanted them to lose. I feel bad for the other Brazillian lady who seemed like a good sport through the whole thing and really just absorbing that constant *****ing from her own teammate despite according to the announcers being better than the girl who was constantly yelling at her. It was also just a good story in general cause our tem was basically from the outside looking in not even expected to get a medal and the Brazilians have beaten us 9 straight times supposedly. Not sure if that means that we haven't beaten them in 36 years or not but either way hell of an accomplishment. Now we'll be either playing for Gold or Silver I believe they said on Thursday but they didn't say who we'd be facing, but anyhow...USA!!!!

update: after researching it a little bit both USA teams will play against each other for the silver and gold on wednesday...that's ridiculously awesome lol
    Last edited by TheDon; 08-07-2012 at 05:25 PM.