Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 London Summer Olympics thread

Default Re: 2012 London Summer Olympics thread

I tell you what, this social media and internet stuff has really made the Olympics hard to watch this year. I can't even browse my normal news sites like Huffington Post or Indystar because the Olympic results are plastered every where. Really sucks to watch these events when you already know who won. Nobody sitting in there office wants to know that Phelps came in 4th vs Lochte. Then go home and watch it.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tell you what, this social media and internet stuff has really made the Olympics hard to watch this year. I can't even browse my normal news sites like Huffington Post or Indystar because the Olympic results are plastered every where. Really sucks to watch these events when you already know who won. Nobody sitting in there office wants to know that Phelps came in 4th vs Lochte. Then go home and watch it.
    Ya, exactly.. I love twitter and how it keeps me up to date on things that I never would have known that quickly, even googling it, but man its killing me during the Olympics, I don't want to realize the events already took place and who won before its even on TV.

Dang, tough crowd. The last part of my post mentioning plucking babies out of the crib was made in jest.

Currently, China has 19 total medals and the U.S. has 18. But China has 9 golds to America's 6 and is expanding its repertoire of sports in which it medals.

Japan is in third place with 12 total medals. The cultures of East Asia place great emphasis on discipline and achievement. Can the same be said for Western culture?

Nope. And yet we still kick their asses.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know you were joking Hoosierguy, just doing the same myself. Having had Korean students in my classes and school I know the expectations are high with their parents. I agree there is a high standard of excellence. The thing with China is they are pretty much manufacturing athletes. Gymnastics is another culture in and of itself in every country including ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I didn't know whether to feel bad for them or disgusted with them. Where was their competitive spirit? It was like, oops one mistake, the whole team pretty much mailed in the rest of the competition.
    Seemed like a young team that just didn't know what to do with themselves and deal with pressure.

The Ladies should win it all tonight, but in terms of the all around, I'm a little nervous that Gabby will pull that. Particularly when the commentators and coaches keep telling her that they are concerned she might do that..

We'll catch up with team sports, particularly the ladies teams sports. US women's teams tend to dominate just about everything.

Just finished watching the women's gymnastics team final live on the website...can we post spoilers here?

I don't see why not. Maybe just tag them if someone relaly doesn't want to see.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Good game between France and Argentina in men's basketball.

Winter has bobsled, summer needs an Olympic Waterslide Team!

I can hear it now...

"Helmut von Schlippenschleiden is the reigning world champion... watch as he holds the tight line in turn #11. But watch out for the Dutch, returning from their two-year ban from having used teflon uniforms. The IOC has approved their Nike-made attire, though some speculate its unknown Chinese sweatshop formulation could help top speeds on the course. In practice they were having trouble staying in-bounds in turn 6, however, flying into the netting"

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 07-31-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

If this can't get a perfect score, we aren't ever seeing a perfect score again.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

For real, that vault was crazy.

For real, that vault was crazy.
    It's the landing more than anything. Hey I just cartwheeled onto a mini trap and did like three flip twists and BOOM, right on my feet like it's nothin. That's CGI Batman stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Dang, tough crowd. The last part of my post mentioning plucking babies out of the crib was made in jest.

Currently, China has 19 total medals and the U.S. has 18. But China has 9 golds to America's 6 and is expanding its repertoire of sports in which it medals.

Japan is in third place with 12 total medals. The cultures of East Asia place great emphasis on discipline and achievement. Can the same be said for Western culture?
    Well in the case of China it probably has to do with their militaryesque training methods.

8 badminton players expelled for tanking

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...g-lose-matches

wild scenario

Teams blamed the introduction of a round-robin stage rather than a straight knockout tournament as the main cause of the problem. The round-robin format can allow results to be manipulated to earn an easier matchup in the knockout round.

The Chinese players tried to rig the draw after its second-seeded pair unexpectedly lost to a Danish team in the morning. That placed the No. 2 pair on course for a semifinal meeting with Wang and Yu, instead of the final.

Wang and Yu then deliberately set out to lose so they would go into the bottom half of the draw. They hardly exerted themselves, and neither did the South Koreans, drawing jeers of derision from the crowd and warnings from the umpire and tournament referee Torsten Berg. Wang and Yu eventually got what they wanted by losing.

An hour later, the South Korean team of Ha and Kim took to the court and decided to also try to lose to the Indonesians to avoid meeting Wang and Yu in the quarterfinals. Early on, all four players were warned by the umpire for not trying hard, and Berg returned and produced black cards to disqualify both pairs, but the cards were rescinded on a promise of better play.

In the third game, Berg reappeared to urge them to finish, and the Indonesians ended up being better at losing than Ha and Kim, who fell into the playoff they didn't want with the world champions.

One of the world's top male players, 2004 Olympic singles champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, called the situation a "circus match."
    No word yet if any of the teams are connected to Jim Irsay.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Well that's the odd thing about tanking. It's one thing for coaches not to play the best players out of fear of losing them to injury, intentionally losing to manipulate the system is another thing. The difference would be if Curtis Painter threw all those bad passes on purpose.

They really shouldn't have a set up that allows such things though.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:

Yes, the Jim Irsay comment was just a joke (perhaps a bad one) and I am not equating the situations.

The Olympians actually take a sworn oath of good sportsmanship.

The athlete, from the team of the organizing country, holds a corner of the Olympic Flag while reciting the oath :
    In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams.
    Given such a promise, the IOC I would think has every right to do this.

Did anyone else see the joke that was Olympic boxing today? The officiating was TURRIBLE! That Iranian guy got screwed bigtime.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

^take it somewhere else, terrorist! (completely joking)

but seriously olympic boxing is known for its outrageous judging..happens every olympics...wasn't it Roy Jones Jr back in the day that got epically screwed?

also, not sure if this goes here or the offseason rumors, but Chinese badmintoner Wang was signed to a training camp deal with the Charlotte Bobcats.

Interesting article about the Olympics getting spoiled

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/sto...7#.UBnD8EQwAZE

Also a good article from the WSJ on the same topic (saw it on twitter while at the gym)

We are neck and neck with the Chinese for total medals but that's not going to last because track and field will be starting soon and I can't recall too many Chinese being good at track. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt it

America wins its first gold medal in judo. Congrats Kayla Harrison!

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    America wins its first gold medal in judo. Congrats Kayla Harrison!
    Good God it would be painful to have to fight that woman, shes huge and obviously good at Judo. She'd knock me out cold.