Thread: Magic: The Gathering

Hybrid View

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Magic: The Gathering

Anybody else here play? I just got back into it after a long break, actually got my wife to play with me too. I like building decks but get frustrated that I can't afford to spend $400 on a tier 1 deck. That's why I prefer limited (sealed pack or drafting) where you have to think fast. Levels the playing field a bit.

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering

I've never owned a single card, but I've played more than most that do because my brother owns literally thousands of them. Him and his girlfriend both play, and I lived with them for three years. That's a lot of Magic.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I used to play 10+ years ago. Never really got into it, I've never been able to convince myself to spend a lot of money on this sort of thing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I used to play when Magic first came out. We used to play with some really sick, broken decks. Half the matchs were about who could get their lockdown first. We had a group of guys who got together every Friday night to trade and play till at least 4 a.m, easy. I quit playing with the Visions expansion, then I got sucked back in, in part, due to the evil machinations of our favorite new moderator, Shade, during the Time Spiral expansion, then left again, for good, during Morningtide. I used to play at Gamer's Desire in Fishers (which is gone now) and I used to play in Southport and I'm forgetting the store name.

That game was beyond a money pit. Not to say I didn't LOVE playing it. Pig Nash, I started veering towards sealed deck too, after getting my butt handed to me by some of those monster decks out there. One of my last tournaments, I played a white/blue control deck and got beat int he finals buy a kid playing an ALL burn deck. and by kid, I mean he was 11-12 years old. Talk about frustrating!

Fun game. Just don't have the time and don't want to devote the resources to it now.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Scott, if you ever decide to get back into the game, I have a group of friends I play with casually every Sunday. I've also learned how to make some sweet looking proxies (even in foil), so I can make you pretty much any deck you want without the money sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scott, if you ever decide to get back into the game, I have a group of friends I play with casually every Sunday. I've also learned how to make some sweet looking proxies (even in foil), so I can make you pretty much any deck you want without the money sink.

Proxies, huh?? LOL, excellent. Thanks. I'll let you know if I get the itch again.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I started playing back around when Ice Age was just coming out and played off and on all the way up through time spiral with a friend of mine before I really kind of fell out of it. The whole planeswalker crap really did it in for me and turned me off from the game.

I hear that they're going to be going back and taking a second look at the City of Ravnica which was probably my most favorite block set they had came out with in years. The whole guilds concept and all of them having their own playstyle and the storyline behind it I ended up buying all three books and read them as well. They really outdone themselves with that set and if they are in fact planning on revisiting that i'll probably get back into it for at least that block.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I played for about 5 years when I was in middle school (like 12 or 13 years ago) and stopped collecting around the time Urza's Legacy came around. I think it was a combination of moving away from my friends that played and cards getting way too powerful. I really liked the early sets where just about every powerful creature (or card, really) usually had a pretty significant drawback to it as well.

Once I stopped playing, I totally lost track of everything that was going on with the cards. I think I held on to one nice deck that I made until a few years ago, when I happened across it and gave it to my younger cousin for Christmas.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I do good sir.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't play, but I've got friends who do an apparently the app for the iPad is excellent.

I tried to play that a couple times with some buddies in high school. They said I was too lawyery and that playing with me took way too much time. Ha!
    I did buy a couple boxes just for the artwork though.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Mood

Here's my deckbox, still adding cards to it. It's got the 3 decks I've been playing with too:

http://deckbox.org/users/pig_nash

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

still love the artwork, played a little bit in junior high many years ago.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just picked up my Dark Ascension deck last night.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Mood

Drafted a bit with Shade tonight, then played my mediocre-to-horrible decks against a lot of really good ones in multiplayer. Still had a lot of fun though. What is your Dark Ascension deck Constellations?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drafted a bit with Shade tonight, then played my mediocre-to-horrible decks against a lot of really good ones in multiplayer. Still had a lot of fun though. What is your Dark Ascension deck Constellations?
    Bloodcrazed Burn
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Mood

I wasn't a huge fan of the planeswalkers either, but they aren't as bad to play against as I used to think. Even have one deck with a couple, though I don't mind if I don't get them out.