Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 152

Thread: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,520

    Default Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Guys we are really muddying up the movie thread with all of the batman talk.

    So from now on out lets just move it over to here.

    I'll start with my reply to Uncle Buck & Sandman21.

    Yes I get that people love Ledger's Joker, it was a great villain.

    I just happen to prefer the Nicholson one, that does not imply that I hated the other. I like Meat lovers Pizza the best but that doesn't mean I don't like pepperoni & sausage pizza.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,182

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Think we could move most of the Batman posts in that thread over? It would help declutter the other thread and get it back on track.

    And for the record, I don't hate Nicholson's Joker persay, as a kid in the mid 90s, it was awesome, but nowadays, he reminds me way too much of the Campy Batman Joker of Cesar Romero for my personal taste(please keep in mind that I absolutely DETEST Campy Batman), and that started before Ledger was even announced as the Joker for TDK. He's not an awful villain (especially compared to Swarzenegger's Free- Wait, forgot that never happened , Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face, that one disappointed me), but he's edging toward the campy side of things now.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 07-26-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  4. #3
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I am not confused by what depth means. I am glad you are a "Bat forecaster" but on a message board my opinion means as much as yours so I'd appreciate it if you didn't infer that I just don't understand.

    And if you say the Joker doesn't have much depth then on how God's green earth do any of Rises villains have great depth?
    I've corrected twice now, I meant "Lore master", and I won't state it again. Let's just keep it within the trilogy for now. If you honestly think the Joker has equal or more depth, than Bane and Talyia, I can't help you. It's right before your eyes. Watch "Batman Begins" again friend. Maybe then you will start realizing then.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

  5. #4
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've corrected twice now, I meant "Lore master", and I won't state it again.
    And that is better?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Constellations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've corrected twice now, I meant "Lore master", and I won't state it again. Let's just keep it within the trilogy for now. If you honestly think the Joker has equal or more depth, than Bane and Talyia, I can't help you. It's right before your eyes. Watch "Batman Begins" again friend. Maybe then you will start realizing then.
    Yeah, the big strong guy helping his girlfriend kill the hero that murdered her father because he wanted to destroy something the hero loved is way more in depth and original than the villain who gives two different backstories for his character development, challenges the very fiber of what Batman is (will he always be just another freak in a mask or can he be something more?), and is running amok causing mayhem for maybe no reason or for maybe a very certain reason, we never really get to find out.

    Sorry, but Bane and Talia's story is pretty much standard comic book fare in terms of motives, what the hell was the Joker motivated by? He suggests any number of things, and that is what makes him a much more fascinating character and the Dark Knight a more fascinating in depth movie.

    Personally, I would have preferred Bane without Talia in Rises, instead the big twist at the end zone is just basically like finding out Bane is in the friend zone level 9000.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  8. #6
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, the big strong guy helping his girlfriend kill the hero that murdered her father because he wanted to destroy something the hero loved is way more in depth and original than the villain who gives two different backstories for his character development, challenges the very fiber of what Batman is (will he always be just another freak in a mask or can he be something more?), and is running amok causing mayhem for maybe no reason or for maybe a very certain reason, we never really get to find out.

    Sorry, but Bane and Talia's story is pretty much standard comic book fare in terms of motives, what the hell was the Joker motivated by? He suggests any number of things, and that is what makes him a much more fascinating character and the Dark Knight a more fascinating in depth movie.

    Personally, I would have preferred Bane without Talia in Rises, instead the big twist at the end zone is just basically like finding out Bane is in the friend zone level 9000.
    All you did was convince me that neither has depth.

    X-Men villains these characters ain't.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All you did was convince me that neither has depth.

    X-Men villains these characters ain't.
    I don't get what X-Men villains have to do with either TDK or Rises...you Marvel guys seem to want to compare movies to comic books and I just don't think you can do that.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. #8

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    I agree, let's move all those posts about TDKR over here, if possible.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  12. #9
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,520

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Busy at the moment but I'll work on it when I get back.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  13. #10
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,874
    Mood

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    In terms of Jack versus Health, you are comparing two totally different actors with totally different goals. Nicholson is one of the biggest movie stars of all time. When TDK came out, pretty much no on had heard of Ledger, save adoring fangirls and indie movie buffs. So it befits Ledger to get highly into a character (putting on makeup and doing an accent), while it makes sense for Nicholson to play a character more consistent with how the public sees him. In a sense, it was much easier for Ledger to "become" the Joker because, in the minds of the audience, he isn't really anything. Both are great actors, but one was a supporting actor and the other was/is arguably the greatest movie star ever.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,536

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In terms of Jack versus Health, you are comparing two totally different actors with totally different goals. Nicholson is one of the biggest movie stars of all time. When TDK came out, pretty much no on had heard of Ledger, save adoring fangirls and indie movie buffs. So it befits Ledger to get highly into a character (putting on makeup and doing an accent), while it makes sense for Nicholson to play a character more consistent with how the public sees him. In a sense, it was much easier for Ledger to "become" the Joker because, in the minds of the audience, he isn't really anything. Both are great actors, but one was a supporting actor and the other was/is arguably the greatest movie star ever.
    He was a former Best Actor nominee... I don't think he was necessarily an A-list box office draw, but I think he was close to a household name after the success of Brokeback Mountain. And I think the difference between his performance and Nicholson's is indicative more of the type of director. IMO Burton is worried about the sizzle, while Nolan is also worried about the steak. I also have hated nearly every Tim Burton movie, it's worth noting, so take that for what it's worth.


    Edit: Greatest movie star ever? I didn't know Harrison Ford was in Batman 1989!
    Last edited by spreedom; 07-26-2012 at 08:45 PM.

  16. #12
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,938

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was a former Best Actor nominee... I don't think he was necessarily an A-list box office draw, but I think he was close to a household name after the success of Brokeback Mountain. And I think the difference between his performance and Nicholson's is indicative more of the type of director. IMO Burton is worried about the sizzle, while Nolan is also worried about the steak. I also have hated nearly every Tim Burton movie, it's worth noting, so take that for what it's worth.


    Edit: Greatest movie star ever? I didn't know Harrison Ford was in Batman 1989!
    Hell, even before Brokeback Mountain and it's infinite supply of jokes, people knew who he was. People in the vicinity of my age range remember him from 10 Things I Hate About You, The Patriot, and A Knight's Tale (underrated fun movie). Brokeback sealed his fate as a legitimately great actor. Dark Knight sealed his fate in history. But people knew who he was before TDK, for sure.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  18. #13

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Busy at the moment but I'll work on it when I get back.
    Unacceptable. I expect prompt fulfillment of requests.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  19. #14
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,206
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unacceptable. I expect prompt fulfillment of requests.
    INCONCEIVABLE!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  20. #15
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,874
    Mood

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Peck, you are a Bat Threadmaster.

  21. #16
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,938

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just happen to prefer the Nicholson one, that does not imply that I hated the other. I like Meat lovers Pizza the best but that doesn't mean I don't like pepperoni & sausage pizza.
    I prefer Spam to filet mignon too.

  22. #17
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,520

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I prefer Spam to filet mignon too.
    You haven't lived until you've had my Spam Parmesan.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  23. #18
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,106

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    just wanted to say thanks for heeding my call Peck!

  24. #19
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,921

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Greatest movie star ever?.... Jimmy Stewart wants to speak with you...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,938

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Greatest movie star ever?.... Jimmy Stewart wants to speak with you...
    Jimmy Stewart?!? How about Vin Diesel??!

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  28. #21
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,520

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Guys I just don't see a way of moving them over here and making any sense. I mean do I move all of the comments about the new batman movie and move them over here or just later on when we started discussing the movies (plural) and mythos?

    I think right now the best way to do this is just keep any new conversation here and let the old ones stand, they will get filtered in when people see new movies and get bumped down in pages.

    If somebody feels strongly about this I will be happy to do it but right now I just couldn't find a way to do it and not take away from that thread.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  29. #22
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,182

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Greatest movie star ever?.... John Wayne wants to speak with you...
    Fixed.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  30. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,921

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    I like how we're not discussing Batman here... lol...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  32. #24
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,536

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread


  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  34. #25
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Batman the Dark Knight Rises & other Batman topics thread

    Going to the IMAX this friday to watch the movie for my 3rd time. Woot!
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

Similar Threads

  1. The Dark Knight Rises theatrical trailer has been released!
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 10:48 PM
  2. Anne Hathaway Is Selina Kyle, Tom Hardy Is BANE In 'The Dark Knight Rises'
    By JB24 in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 11-30-2011, 03:20 PM
  3. The Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 07:01 AM
  4. First 5 mins of Batman The Dark Knight
    By ilive4sports in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-10-2008, 12:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •