Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive shooting at Dark Night premiere in Colorado

Default Massive shooting at Dark Night premiere in Colorado

Default Re: Massive shooting at Dark Night premiere in Colorado

What was a 6 year old doing at a midnight movie and what was a 6 year old doing seeing this movie in the first place.

Scary. I would expect metal detectors to be used going forward at movie theaters.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I also heard a 3-4 month old child was injured as well. A 6 year old was DOA at the hospital.

I heard the suspect staged outside of the emergency exit. Not sure metal detectors would have made a diffrence.

UPDATE: Death count has been updated to 12 per NBC and FOX

Can't have metal detectors everywhere. This could have happened in Wal Mart just as easily.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I'm not saying or suggesting metal detectors are the answer or even needed, but I expect they will start to be used at movie theaters.

Wonder if they will try to cut back on the midnight showings. I know it has nothing to do with this, but I just wonder if that will be a topic of discussion

Sad, sad, stuff...... What do you want to bet we're going to hear the guy has been off his meds?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Geez, I had to wake up to hearing this on the news. Just the horror of it and then getting so pissed off at the shooter. He probably wanted to commit suicide and didn't get the chance. Should have just shot himself instead of killing/hurting so many others.

Although I'm angry at the shooter, I feel so bad for the people killed/wounded and their families. Been praying a lot for them all morning. Hope all the injured make a full recovery.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Awful news. Definitely praying.

To be honest, I'm surprised nothing like this had happened yet.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was a 6 year old doing at a midnight movie and what was a 6 year old doing seeing this movie in the first place.

Scary. I would expect metal detectors to be used going forward at movie theaters.
    Not sure if this is true or not, but apparently he entered the theater through a back entrance and didn't actually buy a ticket.

I knew the owner of the local theater (not a big chain) when I was growing up and when I was a kid he'd keep the exit door propped on certain days so I could just "sneak" back there and watch movies for free. The owner just loved the movies, had tons of money, didn't expect to turn a profit and really didn't care. As a kid, I was always slightly paranoid that someone else would figure it out and break into the theater and kill everyone (I was a paranoid kid). Movie theater crowds are incredibly vulnerable, you're almost as vulnerable there as you are in the shower or something. It is scary but unfortunately I'm surprised it never happened before. Scary world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    To be honest, I'm surprised nothing like this had happened yet.
    I didn't really want to say it, but I was thinking the same thing.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Sad, sad, stuff...... What do you want to bet we're going to hear the guy has been off his meds?
    Supposedly one of the media people called his mother and based on the short conversation, she didn't seem surprised and was expecting the worst. So yeah.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Wonder if they will try to cut back on the midnight showings. I know it has nothing to do with this, but I just wonder if that will be a topic of discussion

That won't happen, there's too much money to be made off of midnight showings.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Not sure if this is true or not, but apparently he entered the theater through a back entrance and didn't actually buy a ticket.

I knew the owner of the local theater (not a big chain) when I was growing up and when I was a kid he'd keep the exit door propped on certain days so I could just "sneak" back there and watch movies for free. The owner just loved the movies, had tons of money, didn't expect to turn a profit and really didn't care. As a kid, I was always slightly paranoid that someone else would figure it out and break into the theater and kill everyone (I was a paranoid kid). Movie theater crowds are incredibly vulnerable, you're almost as vulnerable there as you are in the shower or something. It is scary but unfortunately I'm surprised it never happened before. Scary world we live in.
    I have heard two things:

1. The gunman had a ticket and took a call and had all his gear staged

2. The gunamn was outside and was let in by a second individual who was in the theatre who had already bought a ticket

EDIT: now CNN is saying after a interview he may have kicked the door down

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    That won't happen, there's too much money to be made off of midnight showings.
    Yeah, as horrible as this is, I don't see how mignight movie showings are cultivating an environment for something like this.

Some people are just crazy regardless of the environment.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

The 3 month old was either going to sleep through the movie or be awake anyway at that time of night and the parents obviously weren't going to be able to get a babysitter,(well more than likely not). Not the first time I've seen a little one like that in the theater.

As for the 6 year old,keep in mind our own childhoods. Being able to stay up past your bedtime was a rare treat and one that was always really cool when it happened. Add in a much anticipated movie like this,and there's a special treat indeed,(choice of movie not withstanding of course). Any other time these two in the theater isn't really noted,(and if it is,probably a few would say "I wouldn't do that). No big deal. At a time like this,it becomes horrible parenting.

While I disagree with bringing children to movie theatres in general (especially if you WONT get up when your kid is yelling and screaming) I dont see this as a big deal

20. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

I have never seen Batman, but now a rumor is he was dressed like Bane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Geez, I had to wake up to hearing this on the news. Just the horror of it and then getting so pissed off at the shooter. He probably wanted to commit suicide and didn't get the chance. Should have just shot himself instead of killing/hurting so many others.

Although I'm angry at the shooter, I feel so bad for the people killed/wounded and their families. Been praying a lot for them all morning. Hope all the injured make a full recovery.
    He turned himself in (no word if he was surprised by the police) but suppsoedly he did not want to commit suicide.

Not sure what that adds to the discussion, if anything

On kids in movie theater: no not a big deal. But I'm generally not in favor of kids in movie theaters. Add in the time this screening was and that makes it worse. The only time I was allowed to stay up past my bedtime was new years eve.

On a more general note. I love going to movies. I love going to the movie theater to watch movies. Always have and always will. Movies are always better than at home and it is fun to watch with other people.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I am not passing judgement, this is just an observation, but there is absolutely no way my parents would have let me see any of these Batman films when I was six. Maybe my parents were old school or something, but there is no way.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Yeah, as horrible as this is, I don't see how mignight movie showings are cultivating an environment for something like this.

Some people are just crazy regardless of the environment.
    IMO the focus should be less of midnight showings and more on:

A. The easy access a 24 year old had to an assault rifle

B. The violence that we advertise in video games, rap videos, and tv shows/movies

C. We may not want to admit it, but we are desensitized to violence.

D. I heard it while in college, but we are supposedly the most medicated country

E. Along the same lines we also have the most gun violence of any country, even those at war

Take the last 2 for what they are worth....

There are lots of things to look at, not sure a midnight screening of movies is one of them

28. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

UB, I like watching at home better, but that is because I feel people are rude in the theatres and a lot of times will not leave...even if they have screaming babies....they feel entitled to stay because they paid 12.50 per ticket

DC, I have never seen a batman movie, but I tend to agree with you. That said, if my kid did something amazing (pulled straight A's) and he wanted his reward to be a midnight screening of batman.......not sure I see that as a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    IMO the focus should be less of midnight showings and more on:

A. The easy access a 24 year old had to an assault rifle
    They have absolutely no clue how he had gotten his weapons. Facts should be brought forth, before conclusions.

As horrible as this is, there's really nothing anyone can do to stop it. Whether or not you believe in the Bible, the moral of the story you should get from Cain and Able is that humans kill each other, and it's been that way since the beginning of time. It's sad to say, but you really can't stop crazy people.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

It has been CONFIRMED by the aurora police chief that this guy has his apartment rigged with explosives

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    They have absolutely no clue how he had gotten his weapons. Facts should be brought forth, before conclusions.

As horrible as this is, there's really nothing anyone can do to stop it. Whether or not you believe in the Bible, the moral of the story you should get from Cain and Able is that humans kill each other, and it's been that way since the beginning of time. It's sad to say, but you really can't stop crazy people.
    FACT: he got the assult rifle somehow

FACT: he shot people

I agree we needs facts, but regardless of if he got them legally or if he stole them, we CAN and SHOULD still discuss if we as a society need assult rifles.

Look, I am a firm advocate for the 2nd ammendment, and I even support the NRA for the most part. But, AK 47's and M-16's.

I disagree nothing can be done to stop it. There are many things that can be done. Maybe we dont stop everyone and everything, but the chance to stop one of these acts is enough for me to think we need to have discussions to do EVERYTHING we can to do so

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

A college friend's brother got wounded. He will be alright. But others are not as fortunate.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post: