Thread: Miles Plumlee and Orlando Johnson participate in the Indy Pro Am Summer League

Thumbs up Miles Plumlee and Orlando Johnson participate in the Indy Pro Am Summer League

Pacers rookies Miles Plumlee and Orlando Johnson participated last night in the Indy Pro Am Summer League. Following the game, they spoke to Pacers.com about their summer workout:

http://on.nba.com/OZwcKJ (video)

Last edited by Kemo; 07-25-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Default Re: Miles Plumlee and Orlando Johnson participate in the Indy Pro Am Summer League

I saw them play. Orlando looked just the same as the summer league with low shooting percentage unfortunately. Plumlee had another nice white boy facial dunk as well.
    DG for 3

Mood

Default Re: Miles Plumlee and Orlando Johnson participate in the Indy Pro Am Summer League

I just found these Plumlee "highlights" from yesterday on youtube. I started to think it was some kind of joke while I was watching it, but there are a couple of real highlights in the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqSbwrhvwg
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 07-25-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: convenience

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigAndy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 07-25-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: convenience
    Why so SERIOUS

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    I have a feeling OJ will have a love or hate thing here. Based off that vid, the kid sure does has some tunnel vision. (But, of course, there could have been other highlights of him passing that wasn't taped)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    I have a feeling OJ will have a love or hate thing here. Based off that vid, the kid sure does has some tunnel vision. (But, of course, there could have been other highlights of him passing that wasn't taped)
    I can certainly see where you are coming from. In practice the week before the Orlando Summer League all of the talk was that OJ hit everything he threw up. As we know, in Orlando, OJ couldn't throw a rock in the ocean if he was standing on the dock.

It is very early, but it does seem like he is kind of streaky.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I can certainly see where you are coming from. In practice the week before the Orlando Summer League all of the talk was that OJ hit everything he threw up. As we know, in Orlando, OJ couldn't throw a rock in the ocean if he was standing on the dock.

It is very early, but it does seem like he is kind of streaky.
    It's not 2 early in college he was very streaky. One game he couldn't miss the next an inefficient 20 Pts. But most scorers are very streaky except for the elite. Marcus Thortan hell even Monta Ellis is very streaky. Not really that big of deal as long as he always brings in on defense.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

The more I watch Miles, the more he reminds me of Josh McRoberts. As for OJ, with a lot of refining and repitition he could become a nice scorer in this league.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

OJ drew a lot of fouls. Not afraid to attack the basket. Had a couple nice assists.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    OJ drew a lot of fouls. Not afraid to attack the basket. Had a couple nice assists.
    That was my only thing I didnt get about his summer league play. The kid is a good passer I compared him to B Roy at UCSB(i dont see Broy at the NBA level though)

I think when he learns his personal and after the end of camp you will see that skill really shine. I was shocked how selfish he was in SL but that is the nature of SL guys try to impress and do way too much. At UCSB is was so unselfish really to unselfish if you ask me.

rel he really doesn't have tunnel vision IMO I could very well be wrong but he was a very good passer in college. In a rec league game or SL most guards aren't passing lets wait for us to see him in our Pacer offense probably half way though the season when he finally has it down pact l and doesn't have to think he can just play.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 07-26-2012 at 01:41 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Dream Big

Just what the league needs, another player who screams "OOHHH!" after every shot.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Plumlee's got a decent dribble drive to his right for a guy his size, looks surprisingly comfortable with it. Doesn't seem to convert it all that well but I can see him getting to the line off of it a good bit early on, catching guys off guard. I hope the midrange J's he keeps putting up are just trying to prove something or working on a weakness, don't want him shooting that basically ever in the NBA. Dude's got a skillset, solid feet, some bounce, big as an ox, pretty quick for his frame, good body control and self awareness. There's some clay to mold, just sucks he'll be 24 by opening night.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-26-2012 at 02:18 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    That was my only thing I didnt get about his summer league play. The kid is a good passer I compared him to B Roy at UCSB(i dont see Broy at the NBA level though)

I think when he learns his personal and after the end of camp you will see that skill really shine. I was shocked how selfish he was in SL but that is the nature of SL guys try to impress and do way too much. At UCSB is was so unselfish really to unselfish if you ask me.

rel he really doesn't have tunnel vision IMO I could very well be wrong but he was a very good passer in college. In a rec league game or SL most guards aren't passing lets wait for us to see him in our Pacer offense probably half way though the season when he finally has it down pact l and doesn't have to think he can just play.
    Yeah and also you never know what the coaches asked him to do in summer league, he did have a game where he had like 6 assist and only 1 turnover, once he starts letting the game come to him, I think he will do pretty well, he will need stuff to slow down. Him going against a guy like PG in practice should be interesting, he will have to become really creative to score on that kid.
    Why so SERIOUS

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

For Plumlee in the NBA, if he can learn to hit that mid-range jumper with consistency and be able to play with his back to the basket at times against smaller guys he will carve out a nice niche offensively on this team. Of course he's going to get his lobs, dunks, and putbacks, but if he can add those two skills sporadically off the bench that is what will make him go from a liability in the playoffs (Sub 40% shooting) to a help (A monster series backing up Roy).

As for Johnson, he's very decisive with his moves unlike Paul George. They were both go to guys, but what intrigues me about Orlando is that he has all of the moves and options offensively to attack off the dribble. That is very good for us, and in two years I think that Bird and Pritch saw that if he can really hone his offensive skills and shooting down to a T he can be a microwave-esque player off the bench.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Who is #7 on the blue team? Dood crushed on Plumlee at the 1:30 mark...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    Who is #7 on the blue team? Dood crushed on Plumlee at the 1:30 mark...
    I think Jarrod Jones went to ball state. Dont quote me on that but it looks like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Plumlee's got a decent dribble drive to his right for a guy his size, looks surprisingly comfortable with it. Doesn't seem to convert it all that well but I can see him getting to the line off of it a good bit early on, catching guys off guard. I hope the midrange J's he keeps putting up are just trying to prove something or working on a weakness, don't want him shooting that basically ever in the NBA. Dude's got a skillset, solid feet, some bounce, big as an ox, pretty quick for his frame, good body control and self awareness. There's some clay to mold, just sucks he'll be 24 by opening night.
    24 isnt all that old. Yeah he's not a 21 or 22 yr old rookie, but when it comes to big men, they can be a tad bit older and still have long careers. If you have the size/frame of a player like Plumlee, as long as you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you'll be able to have a decently long career in the NBA as long as you want it. It's not saying much, but I really think Plumlee can give Hans some run for the backup 4 spot simply because of his size and natural athleticism.

I don't expect much from OJ. If he ends up within the rotation by the end of the yr, good for him. But I simply cant expect much from a second round pick on a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I think Jarrod Jones went to ball state. Dont quote me on that but it looks like him.
    It is. Such a disappointment.